Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Comptroll The Forums posted:

The obvious solution is to agree to the $70 price, tell him it will be 4 weeks, then never do it.

No that's too long! My sick girlfriend could be dead in 4 weeks. Couldn't you just work on it more hours per day?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a Twitter feed called For Exposure which is nothing but screengrabs of entitled customers screaming at artists for not working for free or for peanuts, there's thousands upon thousands of people who really are this dickish. (I'm pretty sure that crocheted blanket discussion came from that twitter feed originally)

Sometimes I go out and look for programming spec work. It isn't because I want spec work but because I want to laugh at how bug gently caress insane some people are. Some of the best stories came before I landed my current job and would have taken spec work.

Highlights include somebody that totally had an idea that would make a billion dollars but he just needed somebody to do literally all the work. He wouldn't even tell you what the idea was until you signed an NDA and accepted the job. He had a budget of $500 and didn't want to spend all of it. He didn't offer equity or profit sharing either; less than $500 to do something that would make a billion.

Another guy had an idea for a game that he wanted programmed. To his credit he just wanted a prototype done so he could get a Kickstarter going. The pay? Half the Kickstarter and a requirement that you work on the rest of the game if it got funded for no pay. It's like no dude, I don't work for free or even potentially for free. You want the prototype made? Open your wallet and wave some cash at me. He got pretty irate when I pointed out that the Kickstarter might fail then I'd have made a prototype for free. Then I pointed out that what he wanted was not something I could just cobble together in a few hours.

Another guy asked me how many hours I'd be willing to code every month for $100. He got really mad when I said that the best I'd do was four hours for that amount and that was being pretty generous.

Yet another guy was looking for somebody to program him something with all the functionality of Quickbooks for less than the price of a copy of Quickbooks because how hard is programming, anyway?

Trust me that isn't limited to just artists and such. There are just a poo poo load of people out there that absolutely refuse to respect the time of others.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
The downside of Clarke's Third Law ("Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.") is that to a layperson, a lot of skilled tasks are "sufficiently advanced technology". They treat skilled work like it's waving a wand and casting a spell instead of, you know, work, and so they value the time and skill involved less.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Besesoth posted:

The downside of Clarke's Third Law ("Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.") is that to a layperson, a lot of skilled tasks are "sufficiently advanced technology". They treat skilled work like it's waving a wand and casting a spell instead of, you know, work, and so they value the time and skill involved less.

I've always hated that, it's a tautology. What does "sufficiently advanced" mean? Advanced enough that it's indistinguishable from magic. No poo poo, thanks, Artie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I love him

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I've always hated that, it's a tautology. What does "sufficiently advanced" mean? Advanced enough that it's indistinguishable from magic. No poo poo, thanks, Artie.

Sufficiently advanced that the person observing it has literally no idea how it's done. Which is obviously going to vary from person to person depending on the subject.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hell, how ice cream is made seems like magic to me. How is it not hard like an ice cube? Makes no damned sense.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Imagined posted:

Sufficiently advanced that the person observing it has literally no idea how it's done. Which is obviously going to vary from person to person depending on the subject.

Yeah, it completely falls apart if you think about it. Like the Fermi Paradox. C'mon, smart guys from the fifties. Do better.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hell, how ice cream is made seems like magic to me. How is it not hard like an ice cube? Makes no damned sense.

Does this clear it up for you at all?

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagra...392165376_n.mp4

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And then you get into how most of the stuff you've ever called ice cream isn't, in the same way that Velveeta isn't cheese.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

There's a Twitter feed called For Exposure which is nothing but screengrabs of entitled customers screaming at artists for not working for free or for peanuts, there's thousands upon thousands of people who really are this dickish. (I'm pretty sure that crocheted blanket discussion came from that twitter feed originally)

Jesus, some of these are infuriating. Also ol pal Uwe shows up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

humans were a mistake

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I used to work in a mall jewelry store that also did repairs and hand crafted custom designs. When given a price quote, so many people would get irate and claim they got a quote at another place in the mall for way cheaper and done immediately without waiting. We always told them to go there instead because it was such a great price.

Thing is, none of the other stores offered any kind of service like that at all. They were all strictly chain retail stores. Why did so many people think we wouldn't know this? We really had to stifle our grins when they either left or just begrudgingly got it done at our place anyway.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Holy poo poo, there are so many evil, self-entitled bastard fuckwads on there, it'sincredible.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, it completely falls apart if you think about it. Like the Fermi Paradox. C'mon, smart guys from the fifties. Do better.

They really don't, but keep on thinking you're smarter than both Arthur C. Clarke and Enrico Fermi but can't figure out what makes a picture funny.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Besesoth posted:

They really don't, but keep on thinking you're smarter than both Arthur C. Clarke and Enrico Fermi but can't figure out what makes a picture funny.

The Fermi Paradox is dumb as hell dude.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

The worst are the artists who do it. They're like the scabs of professional creativity. If absolutely nobody and I mean nobody whored their talent out for free the assholes of the world would have to pay.

I have an amazing artist friend who does this poo poo to herself, unprompted. She'll spend a month making some amazing leather purse or something and then you'll ask her what she'd sell it for and she'll quote about the price of the materials. Like her time and skill have no value. I keep telling her to let me be her art pimp. I have no problem demanding money.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Guy Goodbody posted:

He who asserts must prove, Guy, if that is your real name.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Picnic Princess posted:

I used to work in a mall jewelry store that also did repairs and hand crafted custom designs. When given a price quote, so many people would get irate and claim they got a quote at another place in the mall for way cheaper and done immediately without waiting. We always told them to go there instead because it was such a great price.

Thing is, none of the other stores offered any kind of service like that at all. They were all strictly chain retail stores. Why did so many people think we wouldn't know this? We really had to stifle our grins when they either left or just begrudgingly got it done at our place anyway.

People bargaining with retail is basically always funny. Despite the fact that we list these prices on the website, they’re hard coded into the POS, and the fact that any sane person would charge the same amount, of course you can haggle! Just like has been true in the US for decades.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

These things are thought experiments. If they aren't true, then why they aren't true is what's interesting, but it wouldn't be if we didn't have the expression to work from in the first place.

You utter goober

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Imagined posted:

The worst are the artists who do it. They're like the scabs of professional creativity. If absolutely nobody and I mean nobody whored their talent out for free the assholes of the world would have to pay.

I have an amazing artist friend who does this poo poo to herself, unprompted. She'll spend a month making some amazing leather purse or something and then you'll ask her what she'd sell it for and she'll quote about the price of the materials. Like her time and skill have no value. I keep telling her to let me be her art pimp. I have no problem demanding money.

A lot of artists internalize the idea that creativity has no value. I do it myself, and always feel really awkward whoring prices for commissions. People tell you your whole life that pursuing the arts is dumb and worthless, either joking or not, and then it's hard to value your own work.

That and thinking you have to "pay your dues" and "get exposure" in order to be successful. So people will work themselves into the ground for no money, and a lot burn out and abandon their art when it turns out working for free for years gets you nowhere.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

This poo poo is everywhere. I work in a dog grooming salon and have had customers get real mad because they don't understand why it's more money to give their standard poodle and bath and a haircut, than a shih tzu. Or why they're charged a fee if their dog is completely matted and don't want it shaved down.

Some people just don't think they need to actually pay money equal to the work they want done.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Memento posted:

He who asserts must prove, Guy, if that is your real name.

There's no reason to come up with an explanation for why we can't see aliens, because it's just a fact that if there were aliens we probably wouldn't be able to see them. Space is loving huge. It's literally unimaginably big. The galaxy could be teeming with life and we'd have no idea.

Look at this. These are the best photographs of Uranus that exist. The furthest out planet in our own solar system could have a drat Walmart on it, and we'd have no clue. Because it's so, so, so far away. If we want a better picture, we'd have to spend millions of dollars designing and building a space vehicle to put a camera in, shoot it in to space, and wait years for the camera to get close enough to take some pictures. That's just to get photos of a planet in our own solar system.

But let's say the aliens did want to say hi, let's say that aliens sent a probe to our solar system. Even if they are sending probes, so what? The fastest man made object is the Juno probe, which is moving at 25 miles a second. Let's say the aliens send one of those probes our way. Let's be super generous and also say that the aliens live in the closest star system to us, which is 4.3 light years away. It would take more than 50 million years for that probe to reach us. Let's be super de duper generous and say that the aliens manages to launch the probe and successfully predict where it would end up fifty million years later. One micro-meteorite could puncture the probe, destroy the radio inside, we would have no way of knowing it was moving through our solar system. One random radioactive burst could fry the radio inside, ditto. One misplaced meteorite's gravity could ever so slightly skew the probes trajectory so that thirty million years later instead of heading for earth it's billions of miles away. And those are just the accidents. Imagine if human beings set out to build a machine to last fifty million years. It's impossible.

But, fine let's say somehow the alien probe did manage to make the fifty million year journey to the Sol system, still beeping out it's simple message to any intelligent life who was there to listen. But it passed through our system in 1904 and the few radio operators who heard it thought it was weird interference and didn't care.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

big corporations make poo poo for cheap why can't you, idiot

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's no reason to come up with an explanation for why we can't see aliens, because it's just a fact that if there were aliens we probably wouldn't be able to see them. Space is loving huge. It's literally unimaginably big. The galaxy could be teeming with life and we'd have no idea.

Look at this. These are the best photographs of Uranus that exist. The furthest out planet in our own solar system could have a drat Walmart on it, and we'd have no clue. Because it's so, so, so far away. If we want a better picture, we'd have to spend millions of dollars designing and building a space vehicle to put a camera in, shoot it in to space, and wait years for the camera to get close enough to take some pictures. That's just to get photos of a planet in our own solar system.

But let's say the aliens did want to say hi, let's say that aliens sent a probe to our solar system. Even if they are sending probes, so what? The fastest man made object is the Juno probe, which is moving at 25 miles a second. Let's say the aliens send one of those probes our way. Let's be super generous and also say that the aliens live in the closest star system to us, which is 4.3 light years away. It would take more than 50 million years for that probe to reach us. Let's be super de duper generous and say that the aliens manages to launch the probe and successfully predict where it would end up fifty million years later. One micro-meteorite could puncture the probe, destroy the radio inside, we would have no way of knowing it was moving through our solar system. One random radioactive burst could fry the radio inside, ditto. One misplaced meteorite's gravity could ever so slightly skew the probes trajectory so that thirty million years later instead of heading for earth it's billions of miles away. And those are just the accidents. Imagine if human beings set out to build a machine to last fifty million years. It's impossible.

But, fine let's say somehow the alien probe did manage to make the fifty million year journey to the Sol system, still beeping out it's simple message to any intelligent life who was there to listen. But it passed through our system in 1904 and the few radio operators who heard it thought it was weird interference and didn't care.

all of this is enclosed within the fermi paradox

e: which is to say, thinking it out this far is the fun part of paradoxes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

china bot posted:

all of this is enclosed within the fermi paradox

No it's not, the Fermi Paradox is the dumb idea that there's a contradiction in the fact that intelligent life is likely to have evolved on other planets and the fact that we haven't seen any evidence of it. There's no contradiction, so there's no paradox.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Guy Goodbody posted:

You realise you just explained the point behind the Fermi Paradox, right? That the point of it is to set off these discussions? So you still think it's dumb as hell because it made you think about all this stuff?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Guy Goodbody posted:

You literally haven't read anything about the Fermi paradox other than "Where is everybody?", have you?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Guy Goodbody posted:

No it's not, the Fermi Paradox is the dumb idea that there's a contradiction in the fact that intelligent life is likely to have evolved on other planets and the fact that we haven't seen any evidence of it. There's no contradiction, so there's no paradox.

Phanatic alt spotted

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Besesoth posted:

You literally haven't read anything about the Fermi paradox other than "Where is everybody?", have you?

Bitch I will never read a loving book.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Guy Goodbody posted:

Bitch I will never read a loving book.

You could read the pre-menu blurb on the Wikipedia page and be better-informed than you are.

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Mar 27, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

china bot posted:

Phanatic alt spotted

And here I was about to explain all the ways he's wrong, but someone else beat me to it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Regarding the “doesn’t get paying for labor” thing, I get that at my phone repair shop, too. People will see a part on eBay, and expect our repair to cost the same as the part. Even better when the part is a piece of glass intended for companies with proper screen recycling equipment, and not even the full screen assembly that we’d be installing.

It’s like, yes, the part is about $30. But you’re paying for someone who knows how to install it without destroying your phone to put it on there.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Deep Thoreau posted:

This poo poo is everywhere. I work in a dog grooming salon and have had customers get real mad because they don't understand why it's more money to give their standard poodle and bath and a haircut, than a shih tzu. Or why they're charged a fee if their dog is completely matted and don't want it shaved down.

Some people just don't think they need to actually pay money equal to the work they want done.

Call out fees also seem to baffle people. My husband does 24 hour call outs selling transport truck and trailer parts. They don't understand why they should pay him $80 to get out of bed at 3 in the morning and drive down to the shop to sell them a few light bulbs or a brakepad or whatever. They bought something! Isn't that good enough?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And yet people refuse to donate to keep the forums running but that's ok.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

TVs Ian posted:

Regarding the “doesn’t get paying for labor” thing, I get that at my phone repair shop, too. People will see a part on eBay, and expect our repair to cost the same as the part. Even better when the part is a piece of glass intended for companies with proper screen recycling equipment, and not even the full screen assembly that we’d be installing.

It’s like, yes, the part is about $30. But you’re paying for someone who knows how to install it without destroying your phone to put it on there.

I can't remember who pointed out to me that paying someone to do something means not having to do it (and in some cases learn the skill that would allow me to) myself, but I owe them a debt of gratitude. I'm currently replacing the screen on my child's phone, and the only reason I'm doing it myself is that my finances are hosed. I'd gladly pay someone $100 to not have to do it myself.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Man, this is the worst stereogram. No 3D effects or anything. :(

This is better:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
People say Guy Goodbody isnt funny, but him getting all in a tizzy over something when he didn't even properly know what it was is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Picnic Princess posted:

Part of it is that in America we've trained people to believe that if they just bitch and scream enough they'll get something free. I've worked in retail, restaurants, and convenience stores and it's always the same people pissing and moaning nonstop because sometimes they'll get a discount or something free. There are in fact places in retail land where you're basically expected to just believe peoples' bullshit and price override everything they claim and send them on their way. It's probably different for expensive stuff like jewelry but for stuff like groceries it just wasn't worth it to double check if somebody said the soda was $1 cheaper a six pack up the road. So instead of irritating the customer you just override it and let them have the dollar.

Plus the worst people will absolutely always actively look for something wrong so they can talk to the manager and then be grumpy at them until they get something free or cheap. Some people try that absolutely everywhere they go then get indignant and act like they're doing you a favor by paying the list price that you advertised. And yes a poo poo load of them will just outright lie. It isn't that they expect you to just not know they expect complaining to be a magic word that gets them discounts because gently caress you retail drone, I'm better than you and your time isn't valuable.

TVs Ian posted:

I ran into that a lot about fixing computers. I know my way around a computer and have been building and maintaining my own for a long drat time. It really isn't all that difficult but that didn't stop people that found out about that to expect me to fix their computers for free. Like I'd do it for people I was close to or liked no problem but this is like "hey I talked to you once and you're a friend of my friend and we haven't spoken in four months but you know computers so come fix mine for free." It's like...no. Of course the most irritating was when a not close relative that was a relative only by marriage not only demanded that I fix his computer but that I replace any broken parts for free. It's like...no. gently caress you. If I'm fixing something for somebody I'm close to I'll do the labor for free but they're paying for the parts in basically every circumstance.

Granted some people just assume computers are magic. The same guy above filled his hard drive with random crap so badly the computer couldn't create do any paging properly which slowed it down a lot. He asked me to fix it but I told him to delete files he didn't want anymore. His response was "can't you just make the hard drive bigger?" No. No I can't.

edit: Probably the loving scammiest of them all is "hey we need a new logo! Submit your design, the one we pick gets a prize of $200!"

gently caress you. gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU. You're getting a poo poo load of hours of design work for free and giving one person $200 for all that work. Die in a fire you greedy pig.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Mar 27, 2018