Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
LFS works great in VR :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How's VR flight sim? It looks super cool on youtube

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Truga posted:

LFS works great in VR :shrug:

So does Dirt:Rally.

Though for the price a decent VR-capable rig goes these days I could go on *used car webiste*, buy a car, strip it for weight and go actual racing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VostokProgram posted:

How's VR flight sim? It looks super cool on youtube

Depends on the flight sim. If you mean MS flight simulator, it requires a $30 plugin but works ok.

X-Plane 11 beta has native VR support now and is supposedly great for VR flying, which makes sense. Scenery in x-plane is mostly procedurally generated from earth map data, but it's a couple levels above MSFS in detail, and VR flying is all about VFR. I'm sure someone can give a more in-depth review for x-plane, I haven't bought 11 yet, though I definitely will next time I feel like playing a non-combat flight sim in VR.

On the combat side of things, DCS is extremely trash for performance and I can't recommend it at all on that alone. Plus, most of the planes have lovely cockpits with a bunch of tiny screens and buttons you have to interact with, which kinda works ok if you lean in a lot or only fly old planes, but this coupled with performance issues, I'd give it a pass.

IL-2 battle of stalingrad series works super well and is great to fly, dogfight and/or bomb things in. Planes are easily spotted even in the low resolution world of VR, though telling russian/german planes apart can be a bit of a crapshoot in the right conditions. Also world war 2 planes just have a bunch of giant dials on the dash that work great in VR without having to lean in at all. Also, flying in formation with friends or chasing germans with contrails happening in 3d vr is such a feelgood thing I can't even begin to describe it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Anybody hear how Elite: Dangerous is in VR? I’ve got a 1080ti and am thinking about VR in the nearish future. The number of games using it seems small though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Elite: Dangerous in VR is an experience in itself. I probably spent some ~100h playing elite without VR, and then another 300 in it, it's goddamn great. There are some fonts in it that are too small to real comfortably (though there's none too small to be unreadable even outside the vive's center sweet spot in my experience), but apart from that it really shows that the devs were thinking of VR when designing it. It works great.

If you like elite already, you'll probably loving love it in vr.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Elite dangerous is a mile wide and an inch deep. Really neat to see in VR though.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What's the reasoning for why multi-gpu doesn't work well in VR again? Is it because it takes too long to copy data from one GPU to the other?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VostokProgram posted:

What's the reasoning for why multi-gpu doesn't work well in VR again? Is it because it takes too long to copy data from one GPU to the other?

You could make it work in VR, but the question is for what? Anything that adds latency from the point in which view state changes (which you can instigate by just looking around) to where that gets registered in what you see is a problem. It's why successful VR apps will tend to use shallower pipelines, even if it does decrease graphics throughput. There's only so much you can get from ATW/ASW.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VostokProgram posted:

Alternate frame rendering, the most common form of multi-GPU, pretty much inherently requires rendering to be at least one frame behind the display to provide meaningful performance improvements.

VR SLI is basically a special case of split-frame rendering, where both GPUs are working on part of the same frame at the same time, but in this case each GPU handles an individual eye. That works great, but requires application level support where AFR can be nearly transparently bodged in by the GPU driver.

So far I'm not aware of any actual games supporting VR SLI, just the nVidia funhouse demo.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

wolrah posted:

Alternate frame rendering, the most common form of multi-GPU, pretty much inherently requires rendering to be at least one frame behind the display to provide meaningful performance improvements.

VR SLI is basically a special case of split-frame rendering, where both GPUs are working on part of the same frame at the same time, but in this case each GPU handles an individual eye. That works great, but requires application level support where AFR can be nearly transparently bodged in by the GPU driver.

So far I'm not aware of any actual games supporting VR SLI, just the nVidia funhouse demo.

Yeah, I was thinking of this, it would make sense to have a videocoard dedicated for each eye, must be a tad easier than SLI you would guess.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Truga posted:

Elite: Dangerous in VR is an experience in itself. I probably spent some ~100h playing elite without VR, and then another 300 in it, it's goddamn great. There are some fonts in it that are too small to real comfortably (though there's none too small to be unreadable even outside the vive's center sweet spot in my experience), but apart from that it really shows that the devs were thinking of VR when designing it. It works great.

If you like elite already, you'll probably loving love it in vr.

God[i]drat[i]it you were supposed to say that it was just ehhhhh so I wasn’t encouraged you sonofabitch

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

go actual racing.

Once

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well i was exaggerating but after the roll cage, registration and track fees, and a new set of rubber you're probably right.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well i was exaggerating but after the roll cage, registration and track fees, and a new set of rubber you're probably right.

AutoX isn't quite as hard on the wallet and is still quite fun even if it is mostly a time attack against your class.

It is also fun to bring a car not seen often into the class that is dominated by a specific car everyone drives, and mop the floor with them all out of nowhere. :smug:

But in the end, for real track racing, Project Cars 2 in VR is actually much better than 1 ever seemed to be Even my 980Ti can keep up a good bit better than it did in 1 and there is a lot less shimmering too.

Also I neeeed to give the IL2 VR a try. Is it native now in that latest version? I have been waiting for a good VR WW2 game outside of War Thunder. (And also need to give XPlane11 a try as FSX is getting a bit old and it sure is a bummer Microsoft Flight died before VR bacame a thing.)

Also still waiting on Rise of Flight to hurry up and get VR out in their next game. WW1 flight sims need 2 things. VR and Force Feedback joysticks. (So you know when you're about to rip the drat wings off) :D The only game my G940's are truly useful in.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah RoF is going to be amazing in VR. And yes, IL-2 now has native VR support, and they have a decent dynamic campaign going on now.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Let's say these new gpu's are able to effectively leverage raytracing in some way in games, what kind of cpu should we be shooting for then, i5's or i7's?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Let's say these new gpu's are able to effectively leverage raytracing in some way in games, what kind of cpu should we be shooting for then, i5's or i7's?

As far as I am aware, the Ray-Tracing technique will be almost entirely GPU bound so it won't affect CPU usage at all. Their technique still sounds pretty intensive to me so I guess it would mean a bit less likely to be CPU bottlenecked? But most FPS games that would use ray-tracing aren't CPU bottlenecked in most cases anyway.

This is only a guess since there isn't much on the technique or perf impact to speculate on, but I think this question is mostly irrelevant.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Good news, in 2018, about GPU prospects, what even is this

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/978356883319799810

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Might improve prospects for the next gen. However it is currently not profitable to buy video cards to mine with at current prices and supply is still nonexistent. 1070's are at $1.05 a day... before power.

It might also trigger a used market flood. I feel like that could happen any day now, though the pessimist side of me thinks it might already be happening but the prices are incredibly inflated due to the fact there are almost no new cards to be had. To be fair the used market pricing has dropped quite a bit, but its still above new msrp.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lockback posted:

As far as I am aware, the Ray-Tracing technique will be almost entirely GPU bound so it won't affect CPU usage at all. Their technique still sounds pretty intensive to me so I guess it would mean a bit less likely to be CPU bottlenecked? But most FPS games that would use ray-tracing aren't CPU bottlenecked in most cases anyway.

This is only a guess since there isn't much on the technique or perf impact to speculate on, but I think this question is mostly irrelevant.

The acceleration structures that the GPU traverses during rendering might still be built on the CPU, there's been some research into doing that GPU-side but I think CPU methods still produce more optimal results. It's a trade-off that could go either way and might be different between Nvidia and AMD (the DXR acceleration structures are a vendor-specified black box).

Nobody should be building a PC around this stuff right now though, by the time it's widely used you'll be looking at a new CPU anyway.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Friend of mine is seriously considering selling his EVGA 1080 and buying a Ti a month before the next gen.

..... is there any way that isn't a terrible decision?

I said if anything, sell the 1080 now and use onboard gfx for a few months.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

..... is there any way that isn't a terrible decision?

that depends on what happens during nvidias keynote tomorrow

it's pointless to speculate when new information is coming so soon

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So it's gonna be GTX 11XX, not GTX 20XX: https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-turing-reportedly-to-be-named-gtx-11-series-not-gtx-20

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I ain't believing nothing unless Jensen announces it on stage tomorrow.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Your friend should buy a new iphone in August as well

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Even autocross is drat expensive if you're prepared for it. ie trailering the car to the track, motel costs, fuel, etc. That's why I stick to ice racing. At least your tires don't wear out. And the frozen lakes are a lot closer than the closest race track.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 27, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

jonathan posted:

Even autocross is drat expensive if you're prepared for it. ie trailering the car to the track, motel costs, fuel, etc. That's why I stick to ice racing. At least your tires don't wear out. And the frozen lakes are a lot closer than the closest race track.

Ice Lake confirmed for 2018

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

jonathan posted:

yeah this is why I only buy gpus sold off the back of a truck and only race on public roads, it's much cheaper

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Prepare yourselves for Spinal Tap quotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, I'm just hoping it doesn't sell for "up to eleven [hundred dollars]."

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I'm just hoping it doesn't sell for "up to eleven [hundred dollars]."

I'm sure nvidia would be happy to make the MSRP the same as the model number.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ill pay $1180 if its price/performance matches a $500 1080

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I don't think it necessarily makes sense for Nvidia to set really high MSRPs, it's miners who were willing to pay the insane prices, not gamers for the most part. The high prices will only hurt the PC gaming market, and while Nvidia makes less on a per unit basis selling GPUs to gamers than to other demographics they still bring in more revenue via the gaming market than via any other market. It also makes little sense to price your own customers out of the market, for example Nvidia wants current 1080 owners to buy a shiny new 1180, but if the 1180 is $1200 many of those potential customers are going to decide to hold off on a purchase and just keep using their 1080 since it's still a very fast card.

In the end I expect the 1170 to be between $350 and $500 and the 1180 to be between $550 and $800, with a lean towards the higher range of those scales. Of course whether that MSRP really ends up being what you pay is a much more relevant question, I expect the pent up demand from gamers to cause severe shortages for 6 months to a year after initial availability and prices will remain elevated until that calms down. Of course that long cool down period gives plenty of time for the next crypto fad to rear its ugly head and cause another rise in prices, let us all hope that does not happen.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The crypto fad would be loving fine if there's supply. The lack of supply is the real problem, crypto was around in November and cards were around MSRP or $20-30 higher. When there's supply, cards were like, what 10% more expensive? If your card cost $40 more than before because mining is hot, then mine $40 when you're not using it and get an Amazon gift card and you're even.

Just don't do what I do and stand around indecisively as to whether you're going to flip or mine and do neither effectively.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

I'm not even sure why people assumed it would be a 20xx instead of an 11xx.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
XX70 at $500 and XX80 at $700 and it's still a bargain.

betamax hipster posted:

I'm not even sure why people assumed it would be a 20xx instead of an 11xx.

Clearly it's 1071 and 1082 according to my uncle/rumor site.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ItBurns posted:

XX70 at $500 and XX80 at $700 and it's still a bargain.

Clearly it's 1071 and 1082 according to my uncle/rumor site.

Is it, though?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't think it necessarily makes sense for Nvidia to set really high MSRPs, it's miners who were willing to pay the insane prices, not gamers for the most part. The high prices will only hurt the PC gaming market, and while Nvidia makes less on a per unit basis selling GPUs to gamers than to other demographics they still bring in more revenue via the gaming market than via any other market. It also makes little sense to price your own customers out of the market, for example Nvidia wants current 1080 owners to buy a shiny new 1180, but if the 1180 is $1200 many of those potential customers are going to decide to hold off on a purchase and just keep using their 1080 since it's still a very fast card.

In the end I expect the 1170 to be between $350 and $500 and the 1180 to be between $550 and $800, with a lean towards the higher range of those scales. Of course whether that MSRP really ends up being what you pay is a much more relevant question, I expect the pent up demand from gamers to cause severe shortages for 6 months to a year after initial availability and prices will remain elevated until that calms down. Of course that long cool down period gives plenty of time for the next crypto fad to rear its ugly head and cause another rise in prices, let us all hope that does not happen.

This is pretty spot on. There will be a slight increase in MSRP over inflation after the success of the 10xx series, which is new (the 780's MSRP was identical to the 1080's adjust for CPI inflation). What I think you won't see if the Manufacturer rebates or the free games that you used to see. That's a shame but not the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Lol yes its not just "doesnt necessarily make sense", its just not going to happen. Its literally a made up rumor based on nothing except pessimistic paranoia. I say literally too much, but I mean it here.

I've seen multiple articles sourcing the one tweaktown one saying ohhhh my god the next msrp might be $1500! Because! of...