Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hopefully I'm a macedwarf since I like maces.

Also, :lol: son likes to eat worms and wife likes to eat giant sperm whales. Me? I prefer spider monkeys and horse cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Temaukel posted:

drat, my dwarf is a cutie. Also I like how my 1 year old son already has a beard and likes to drink cider.

You're a good role model, dear parent :respek:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

So Math posted:

Character screens

All this extra detail in DF now. It'll be interesting to see what goes in next (and what happens in-game, of course.) :allears:

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
I've really enjoyed the past few updates. Lots of little projects, some slowly-mounting danger. These will be remembered as the good times.

I'm very proud of my dwarf for becoming mayor! I'm sure I'll be a respected, beloved leader for years to come.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'll just be surprised if little PetraCore lives to adulthood. 11 years to go!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

So Math posted:

20 Hematite 566

The guards are restless. Today I caught Vodkahead and InwardChaos hanging on to the cliff face above our entrance. Vodkahead told me "Our orders were to station on the overlook, so we stationed on the overlook. Burnaboy, HardDiskD, and Captain DeceifulPenguin got a good laugh out of it.

I asked theshim if this is the sort of behavior he expects when he leads the Helmed Spears. He laughed, and told me to check the calendar before resuming his training session.
oh god drat it :golfclap:

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seeing the fort in mkv is really fun, especially in "front view" mode. The volcano is huuuge.

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 27, 2018

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Here is a shot from a slightly buggy and resource-demanding visualizer.

Gives a neat perspective.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So, uh, if I'm looking at this correctly, wouldn't the most likely path for lava, should the volcano be tapped from outside, be pretty much directly towards the entrance to the fortress? Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you, just making sure here.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

So, uh, if I'm looking at this correctly, wouldn't the most likely path for lava, should the volcano be tapped from outside, be pretty much directly towards the entrance to the fortress? Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you, just making sure here.

It would probably be pretty easy to have a magmafall coming down each side around both sides of the mountain and meeting at a moat in front of the entrance. Unfortunately that would be a quick path to FPS death.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Facebook Aunt posted:

It would probably be pretty easy to have a magmafall coming down each side around both sides of the mountain and meeting at a moat in front of the entrance. Unfortunately that would be a quick path to FPS death.
...and the moat overflowing unless either a)you turned off the magmafall when it was full, or b)you had the moat drain somewhere else(more FPS death!).

So we should definitely do it.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Excerpts from the diary of So Math, Overseer of Valleysilences.

7 Malachite 566

A group of armed elves has arrived on a quest, with a pair of dwarves in tow.

Frankly, it's the dwarves I'd worry about.

8 Malachite 566

It is IPA Regulations' first birthday. She was having fun at the public tavern, listening to a goblin tell the story of how Dumed Ringcovered became a baroness.

10 Malachite 566

An undead raven took a pot shot at Frenzy the Killbot, but Jamsque was there to lend a hand.

Most of the elven party has settled into the new tavern, which I have dubbed the Devourer of Sieging. The "entertainment" isn't ready yet, but so far the elves haven't warranted it anyway.

12 Malachite 566

The merchants left us today. A single raven attacked in the commotion, but their guards had it under control.

I'm afraid the pressure has been getting to Tunicate, who had a bit of a tantrum in the dining hall.

Turns out all she needed was a stiff drink.

Fortunately, nothing was broken.

DivineCoffeeBinge has been occupying the elves with the tale of how Lokum Honorcoal acquired the Forks of Hustling. In return, they shared that they seek a legendary headscarf.

I heard from one of the merchants that the thing is supposed to be in Furhorror. We can at least point them in the right direction, if they finally decide to leave.

13 Malachite 566

One of the elves stepped up to deal with today's raven problem.

Oh no, I think they're growing on me.

14 Malachite 566

I think we've killed all of the ravens at least once now. Even the guards are nonchalant about it. We've all been hardened by the volcano.

17 Malachite 566

The ravens have been cremated.

22 Malachite 566

Missed one.

Yours alone,
So Math
Overseer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
An Overseer that LIKES Elves?

Worry not friend, we can heal your ill thoughts with the all-clensing balm of molten rock.

Cossack
Mar 2, 2012

You see Sigmund here.
Sigmund hits you.
You die.
Yo, dwarf me. I expect to die in some sort of reanimated skin accident, so put me in wherever.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
From the Journal of Oddom "DivineCoffeeBinge" Mersethzulban, Chef, Jeweler, Fortress Founder, Fat Renderer, Tavern Entertainer too I guess

Atir save me, I spent an afternoon talking with elves.

There were dwarves with them, so the knife-ears had at least been coached on how to behave, but drat. I was just so desperate for news of a world where dead things stay dead, you know? I mean, the ravens just keep returning like loving clockwork, they get killed, they get back up, they do that really loving unsettling zombie-slurred caw noise, they get killed, wash, rinse, repeat. You'd think we'd chuck some of those fuckers in the volcano, but nope.

I cannot brew enough booze to blot out the horrors of this place from my mind. The other day I was talking about what a pleasure it would be to render turkey fat. Who the hell looks forward to rendering fat? I hate this place.

Home sweet pugatorial reanimation horrozone home.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haifisch posted:

...and the moat overflowing unless either a)you turned off the magmafall when it was full, or b)you had the moat drain somewhere else(more FPS death!).

So we should definitely do it.

Yeah, you have to have a drain go off the edge of the map. I wonder it simulates what happens to liquids that flow off the map yet? Make a nice moat, accidentally burn down hundreds of hectares of forest. Caravan arrives smoking.

Of course there would be mishaps and overflows, but having the zombie wilderness on fire wouldn't make things much worse here. It might even be an improvement.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I say we make obsidian, and make the main gate with it. Imagine entering a fortress made out of pure shiny black volcanic glass :black101:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Dorf me, I got no preferences.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Did I dig out the entire Unholy Temple by myself? :iit:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So Math posted:

I'm afraid the pressure has been getting to Tunicate, who had a bit of a tantrum in the dining hall.

Turns out all she needed was a stiff drink.

:same:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There is a place called Furhorrors? If it's within range I insist that we wipe it from existence. Even though my dwarf has zero combat skills (I think) I absolutely volunteer for this vital, holy task.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I am nowhere near caught up on this yet but since last succession thread I turned into a hideous Werebull, I demand to be Dorfed as a soldier named Cathode Raymond so that I can be killed and come back as an undead monster.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, ugh. Ravens can fly. Can animate raven corpses also fly? Makes it seem like they'd be tough to track.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
This is Dwarf Fortress. Why would you assume that a reanimated creature wouldn't be able to do what its living equivalent can? I realize this would probably be considered something of an edge case in other games, but...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I remember when the undead first became a thing, evil coasts were super dangerous because undead can't drown, which means undead fish can't reverse drown on land so you'd get undead blue whales charging up on land and it was like fighting an elephant except 10 times bigger and didn't feel pain. Is that still a thing?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

24 Malachite 566

The broken bodies of the dead pose no challenge to us, and we have become soft. I think that we all need more pressure in our lives.

22 Galena 566

Galena has nearly passed with no fighting. I've used this idle time to design a magma chute from the top of the volcano down to the valley floor. Even little Captainicus is chipping in.

23 Galena 566

Today clockwork chaos put the finishing touches on Devourer of Sieging. With the pull of a lever, we can put our so-called guests to the crucible. I've ordered our citizens to stop dining here.

26 Galena 566

AJ_Impy's pet cavy sow Zasit is starving. I've had her pastured in the barracks. AJ_Impy made it clear that no elves are permitted within 20 paces of his sow, or his crops.

1 Limestone 566

It's been six months since I became overseer of Valleysilences. My offering to Vesh, The Unholy Chapel, is complete. I've been driven to engineer the flow of the volcano itself, and harness the might of Tobul Flashlanterns. But I mustn't forget, it is Geshud, the god of fortresses to whom I owe my post.

3 Limestone 566

A pack of ibex corpses approaches Valleysilences. The Icy Portals met them outside the gate.

I have found a space in the quarry to dedicate to Tobul Flashlanterns. This space will also house the control mechanisms for the magma chute.

Yours alone,
So Math
Overseer

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

counterfeitsaint posted:

I remember when the undead first became a thing, evil coasts were super dangerous because undead can't drown, which means undead fish can't reverse drown on land so you'd get undead blue whales charging up on land and it was like fighting an elephant except 10 times bigger and didn't feel pain. Is that still a thing?

Oh no. It's not the undead whales you had to worry about.

It was the sponges.

Hitting them with blunt weapons wouldn't do anything because they're sponges. And trying to cut them wouldn't work either because they were made of a single "body" body part, so there wasn't anything to cut off. Of course there wasn't much they could do to your dwarves either. Other than just, y'know, waiting for dwarves to starve to death in the middle of an endless battle, or just having dwarves jump in the water to attack and then drown or... well you get the idea.

10dishOkiku
Jul 28, 2010

7...8...9...9...9...10!
So I tried to play this game 6+ years ago when my roommate introduced me to it; I never got the hang of it, especially when trying to figure out what different letters meant for different things (C ,c, e, @). I'm going to try and pick it up again with the mod you're all using. Thanks for LPing it, all!

Also, please Dwarf me . I'd like to be a baby- I feel it is the most appropriate.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You know when it's a good day when an undead goat is surprised that something living can be that ferocious.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Dwarf me up as funktopus. I'd prefer to be a warrior of some kind, but if that can't be done I'll do whatever.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
From the Journal of Oddom "DivineCoffeeBinge" Mersethzulban, Chef, Jeweler, Fortress Founder, Fat Renderer, Tavern Entertainer too I guess

So... those elves I was talking to? The Overseer had them submerged in lava.

Just for being there, I guess.

The worst part is that this doesn't even really surprise me anymore.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They haven't been submerged yet. But if they don't leave, they can be with a single lever pull.

It won't matter soon considering the doomsday weapon up on the mountain though. :stare:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I was wondering when we'd be restarting Project gently caress The World

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

So Math posted:

26 Galena 566

AJ_Impy's pet cavy sow Zasit is starving. I've had her pastured in the barracks. AJ_Impy made it clear that no elves are permitted within 20 paces of his sow, or his crops.

This is magnificent. Also, don't let Zasit starve! :ohdear:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Valleysilences, where elves check in, but they don't check out!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Valleysilences, the valley that silences elves.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
How is our farming operation going? Is dorfme the Head Dirtsmith now?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

10 Limestone 566

Traders have arrived from the Mountainhomes. I want to impress, so I've opened Tobul's temple for them, even if it's a little bare. It is named the Sanctuary of Beaks, in recognition of all the ravens we flushed down the volcano. Mayor A Bad Place has a meeting scheduled with the outpost liaison.

11 Limestone 566

Excellent news!

Of course, we said yes. The Mountainhomes intend to install a baron/ess to look over Valleysilences' trade output.

15 Limestone 566

Where are our crafts? Have we made nothing this season? I'm losing my mind because no one has brought a single bin of our trade goods to market.

Oh. You have GOT to be kidding me.

That's better. Technically we haven't violated the mayor's orders. We just need to pull all the gems out of the bin when we trade. One at a time.

Goddammit.

19 Limestone 566

Gnoman and I have spent the last four days sorting individual earrings and used socks by hand, when we could have just handed over two bins of the stuff and be sipping mint juleps. It makes you realize how much modern trade relies on bin technology, just like that bard series I got hooked on last week.

A Bad Place, you just made my poo poo list.

21 Limestone 566

Not on my poo poo list: Fumbles, who has been divinely inspired much like myself. I hope he makes a good artifact for Valleysilences.

27 Limestone 566

Minor roadblock, Fumbles can't work without cut gems, like the ones we just traded away for three thousand pieces of meat.

The worst part is the merchants are still hanging around with our (former) cut gems in the foyer.

1 Sandstone 566

Tunicate is in one of her moods again. This time, she's stumbling blindly around outside. As long as the dead groundhogs keep their distance, she should be fine.

2 Sandstone 566

Also on my shitlist: Tunicate, who vomited all over my freshly chiselled floors in the Sanctuary of Beaks.

3 Sandstone 566

It's official!

I'm excited thinking about redecorating. Maybe an hourglass motif?

6 Sandstone 566

Fumbles has started his construction.

I do wish he had gone with fire opals, though. Meanwhile, the mining work is finished on the baroness' chamber to the south. The northern chamber will be some sort of communal space, but I haven't settled on the specifics.

11 Sandstone 566

Fumbles is finished today.

It's a toy. For children. With instructions on the side, for how to play make believe with a toy boat.

You know, Geshud, I really felt like I was beating all your challenges. But this month, yeah, you got me. I'm glad we rush ordered those cut gems so Fumbles could make a picture of a cut gem with a wishbone.

I'm going drinking with Tunicate tonight.

13 Sandstone 566

There's been some confusion about my orders for the magma chute. I expect the digging to be finished by the end of the year; presently the miners are only fourteen floors above the fortress. The problem is getting someone to install the floodgate control mechanisms. It's true, we don't have the fail safe in place yet, and we won't until the digging is finished. But that's exactly the reason that no one would open the floodgates. Isn't it obvious?

Yours alone,
So Math
Baroness

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If the baron/ess dies, we can choose one of our own right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

quote:

export of bins prohibited

All in favour of throwing the Mayor into the volcano? Ah, wait, that's not how we do it, is it?

All in favour of assigning the Mayor a new set of luxury quarters, with locking doors and experimental heated walls?

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 29, 2018