Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

pkells posted:

Destroyer trip report:

How the gently caress do you guys live on a tiny cramped ship like that for months at a time? And how do you put up with such a crazy work schedule? I spent a month with the army last year in Puerto Rico living in a camp, and they seemed to have a better quality of life.

But the boat was cool, and my friend kept introducing this chief at the happy hour event afterwards as "an officer on the boat". Multiple people on the tour asked about whether or not they have nukes on board. I asked the 1Lt or whatever you call them how much BS they put up with getting the board ready for non-stop tours through their home for the past week. His smirk answered my question.

You snag the top bunk, so you have room to sit up and free storage space between inspections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Madurai posted:

You snag the top bunk, so you have room to sit up and free storage space between inspections.

Top rack is all fine and dandy if you're working day shift. Terrible if you're switched to nights. Being a day sleeper was probably the worst thing about being shipboard. Loved working nights way more than days but gently caress all the ship's company people who think everyone works days.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Madurai posted:

When I was on a destroyer, I had top bunk but there were pipes directly overhead so I couldn't sit up.

It sucked.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
gently caress top bunk. Go to LPD, get Midrack, have situ racks anyway and easy in/out access

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Thronde posted:

gently caress top bunk. Go to LPD, get Midrack, have situ racks anyway and easy in/out access

This. When I was a First, we went to visit one of our independent duty ISs who was assigned to an LPD. I couldn't believe the amount of space their FCPO Mess had and the amenities of their berthing compared to the LHD we were on. Was very jealous at the time.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

pkells posted:

Destroyer trip report:

How the gently caress do you guys live on a tiny cramped ship like that for months at a time? And how do you put up with such a crazy work schedule? I spent a month with the army last year in Puerto Rico living in a camp, and they seemed to have a better quality of life.

But the boat was cool, and my friend kept introducing this chief at the happy hour event afterwards as "an officer on the boat". Multiple people on the tour asked about whether or not they have nukes on board. I asked the 1Lt or whatever you call them how much BS they put up with getting the board ready for non-stop tours through their home for the past week. His smirk answered my question.

Become an officer (preferably be female), get a stateroom, and if you're super lucky only have to share it with one other person. Not so lucky and it's two.

For the enlisted, I've heard differing things on which rack is best to sleep in. Generally haven't heard great things about the bottom rack though. For work, you get it in when you aren't on watch or trying to nab a few hours of sleep. Sometimes work supersedes sleep. Then there's also drills which can take a huge toll on everyone as well. They need to be done though.

We have to be on circadian rhythm sleep schedules now, so hopefully the sheer exhaustion from five and dimes and other terrible watches goes away. I will ask some currently deployed friends if they're seeing the difference or not.

Otherwise sleep when you can, walk around like a grumpy zombie when you can't. Don't fall asleep standing up.

You'll usually have eggs in the morning for breakfast if you have a good SuppO, and a moderately hot shower. Wear your shower shoes.

LPDs seem like they were built more with crew comfort in mind, and the standards of living are much higher then on other ships as a result. I've never served on one, but they seemed nice from the few times I've walked around them.

I've only served on FLT I DDGs, other then a two week stint on a FLT II. You get used to them quick, but you have to learn how to pack light.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Alternatively, go merchant marine.

Single room with en suite bathroom; set watches with overtime for anything outside of them, capped at 14 hours a day (or at least you have to have a minimum number of hours of rest a week), none of that board / promotion BS, six months off a year or so.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

capped at 14 hours a day (or at least you have to have a minimum number of hours of rest a week),.

:lol:

Plus then everyone can witness your descent into insanity in real time. Ask the Discord about me between september and December of last year. See also why I'm no longer called Two Finger

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Get a job on a real boat, yachtie.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Alternatively, go merchant marine.

Single room with en suite bathroom; set watches with overtime for anything outside of them, capped at 14 hours a day (or at least you have to have a minimum number of hours of rest a week), none of that board / promotion BS, six months off a year or so.

Then one fine day you end up sailing first engineer or chief mate and work ninety hour days

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

Then one fine day you end up sailing first engineer or chief mate and work ninety hour days

*on paper

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you didn’t get a shore job six months after getting your ~management level~ license, I don’t know what to tell you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

On the plane to Dallas. Could use a good steak house recommendation near the sixth floor museum. Steer meat only no queers I’m on to you guys after Hawaii.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

On the plane to Dallas. Could use a good steak house recommendation near the sixth floor museum. Steer meat only no queers I’m on to you guys after Hawaii.

Best you're gonna do in close proximity to Dealey is Bob's Steak & Chop on Lamar at the Omni Dallas. They might still be a chain, but at least it's not a Morton's or Ruth's Chris. Enjoy your thick, glazed, long, juicy, and salty carrot. :dong:

They do OpenTable if you want to make things easier.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 26, 2018

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Best you're gonna do in close proximity to Dealey is Bob's Steak & Chop on Lamar at the Omni Dallas. They might still be a chain, but at least it's not a Morton's or Ruth's Chris. Enjoy your thick, glazed, long, juicy, and salty carrot. :dong:

I was going to suggest Pappas Bros Steakhouse near I35 and 12. Once again, they're a chain but never left any of these establishments unsatisfied.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

These carrots sound worth the trip alone...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

These carrots sound worth the trip alone...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Got the tbone.

Woo!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Got the tbone.

Woo!

Smart to not fill up on bread, that's how they get you

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Smart to not fill up on bread, that's how they get you

Please don’t challenge me.

Hope I make it to class tomorrow.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
a chief yelled at one of my classmates for riding the staff elevator, and got like 10 minutes into his rant before the kid remembered to pull his "elevator chit" out that he earned for having the shiniest shoes at uniform inspection

then the chief yelled at him for not saying so earlier for another 10 minutes

lmao

e: i don't suppose anyone here has any experience with IUSS billets? all of my instructors are calling it career-enders for the rate since its "not real navy" or whatever but that sounds like some salt since apparently the QOL owns bones compared to non-IUSS

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 27, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Never let a good yelling go to waste.

Lol shiny boots? What the gently caress? Did you give him a wedgie?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

Never let a good yelling go to waste.

Lol shiny boots? What the gently caress? Did you give him a wedgie?

they make us do these uniform inspections every friday and they pull people out to get a good round table yelling at from the chiefs/seniors/occasionally a master if they have a wrinkle in their pants or w/e, so everyone takes it fairly seriously

i just go to the dry cleaners and shine my poo poo once a week, no one's said anything so i guess i'm good

e: guess i should clarify this is NSUs, i'm not taking NWUs to the dry cleaners

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 27, 2018

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

boy are my arms tired posted:

e: i don't suppose anyone here has any experience with IUSS billets? all of my instructors are calling it career-enders for the rate since its "not real navy" or whatever but that sounds like some salt since apparently the QOL owns bones compared to non-IUSS

QOL=good. Chance of advancing ever=not awesome. What kind of IUSS? Sea or shore?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

poopkitty posted:

QOL=good. Chance of advancing ever=not awesome. What kind of IUSS? Sea or shore?

just in general i guess, theres talk of a large percentage of our class going the IUSS route

i know the SWATHs arent all that big but having a mostly civilian crew and having not cramped quarters seems cool of what my instructors are saying is true

the only shore stations would be whidbey and dam neck though which kind of sucks

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

the only shore stations would be whidbey and dam neck though which kind of sucks

Eh. Some folks love Whidbey.

I forgot you were new. You're young, you'll be okay wherever you end up. Just get qualed and keep your nose clean.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

just in general i guess, theres talk of a large percentage of our class going the IUSS route

i know the SWATHs arent all that big but having a mostly civilian crew and having not cramped quarters seems cool of what my instructors are saying is true

Whidbey is in a beautiful area with the big town of Seattle nearby.

Dam neck.... eh got nice sand I guess.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

poopkitty posted:

Praying to Jebus, Odin and Vishnu that once I finish VT-4 and complete training at the RAG I'll get a Whidbey posting. :pray:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Whidbey has its moments. I would live there again but only if I was married with kids. The summers are incredible but the winters are bad enough to cause vitamin d deficiencies and divorces and jumping off deception pass (edit: ask me how I know about the first two). Get in a squadron that deploys in October and comes back around May and you’re golden.

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 27, 2018

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

poopkitty posted:

I forgot you were new. You're young, you'll be okay wherever you end up. Just get qualed and keep your nose clean.

cool thanks

i was thinking whidbey was far enough away from seattle that it'd suck but i guess i was wrong

anything but dam neck tho

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well gently caress....

I may be going to DC on the 9th for the rest of the fiscal year.

My crabbing...

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Well gently caress....

My crabbing...

ADT or part of your shipyard IT stuff?

How are you liking DFW? Is your course at the JRIC or NOSC?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

ADT or part of your shipyard IT stuff?

How are you liking DFW? Is your course at the JRIC or NOSC?

ADT

DFW base is ok. The class is good. I’m at the NOSC. Fair amount of nifty planes to see.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

cool thanks

i was thinking whidbey was far enough away from seattle that it'd suck but i guess i was wrong

Reasons to like Dam Neck: Everyone else either doesn't know what it is or doesn't want to go there. Also you can drink on the beach.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Reasons to like Dam Neck: Everyone else either doesn't know what it is or doesn't want to go there. Also you can drink on the beach.

Dam Neck is pretty good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Well gently caress....

My crabbing...

If that does come to pass, shoot me a PM and I'll get you an invite to the DC Goons Slack.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The tiny pond there has bass in the 5lb range. The big lake in the back has fish too.

I just killed a fruit fly with a 1 in 100 hit with a piece of gross soggy lettuce eating dinner in the FtWorth difac.

Yah me...

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 27, 2018

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

cool thanks

Whidbey is like 2 hrs each way to Seattle without traffic (haha as if "without traffic" is a thing that exists) so if being close to the city is important to you then yeah it will suck. But if you have any sort of outdoor hobbies it's pretty nice.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

Dam Neck is pretty good.

I work for Dam Neck.

I do not work AT Dam Neck.

This is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

I work for Dam Neck.

I do not work AT Dam Neck.

This is good.

Never was stationed AT Dam Neck but I remember going there for class once, and it was pretty good imo compared to NOB.

Trick question is all bases suck.