Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

PT6A posted:

One of the big differences between this movement and OWS are the people involved in it. When I saw a "leader" interviewed concerning OWS, it was often some unprepared, barely coherent pillock, because of course hierarchy is, like, a tool of the capitalist oppressors, man...

When I see Emma Gonzalez on TV, it makes me feel like, poo poo, that woman could be president some day.

That was intentional by the media. There were reports on social media at the time of how the dumbest and/or least articulate interviewees were the ones whose interviews got published.

This time the mainstream outlets are giving the platform to the best speakers. Think of what would happen if instead of Gonzales and Hogg everyone mainly published interviews of the idiot kid Fox latched onto?

e: extra-legged dog

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

radmonger posted:

True in general, but the message of the underlying scientific study, which may be wrong but is legit, is that the British state does provide adequate schooling in the basic maths and English tested by exams at age 16. And does so to enough of the population that any exceptions are not the rule. If the environment is, in one pariticular aspect, made equal enough, then any remaining differences are, by definition, going to be inherited; that’s what successful egalitarianism looks like.

That wouldn’t have been true 20 years ago, and almost certainly isn’t true now for other subjects they didn’t study.

Or indeed for other countries they didn’t study in.

I'll admit to not bothering to look at the paywalled article before responding to your article. :blush:

I'd have to dive deeper into the genetic studies, but you can count me as extremely skeptical. Basically, they claim to have found a constellation of genetic markers that can produce some "intelligence aptitude" score, which when applied to standardized test scores can explain away the (already very small) difference in scores between public and private schools.

Here's where the skepticism comes in: if they discovered those markers using correlated "intellegence" scores in the same population, if they weren't extremely careful it's very likely that they've simply identified genetic markers for various classes/locales/ethnic groups with Britain and are simply measuring the environmental effects associated with those groups. "Public" and "private" schools are going to have considerable variation (even in Britain), as are individual families and students. Just imagine what you'd expect to find if you looked for genetic markers associated with standardized test scores in the deep south or American cities. Do you really think Britain is such egalitarian utopia that it wouldn't have any similar correlations? I'd have to look closer at they're methodology to see if they've addressed this in any way, but their are many researchers out there who are quick to throw genetic markers at unexplained variation just to try to make something stick, even when they have no way of truly separating genetic and environmental effects.

And if by some chance they have managed to locate "intellegence" markers, the identified effect is tiny. Tiny enough that any reasonably constructed society would totally ignore it in favor of more individual and immediate merits. Any additional gain in "efficiency" or whatever you're looking for is definitely not going to be worth the loss of everyone your punting because they're lacking some tiny advantage.

E: To put it another way, if you somehow managed to level the environmental playing field, even by the standards of the study what's left is going to be a considerable amount of random variation and a tiny amount of genetic influence. It might be an interesting scientific question, but it's totally useless from a practical perspective. The environmental + random effects mean that if you try to use genetic factors to shoehorn people onto some path, you're getting extremely marginal gains in exchange for what will probably end up being losses due to the loss of self-determination and acknowledgement of individual treatment (and you'll be setting up environmental feedback loops to further reinforce your lovely system). AND you get to deal with all the loving "best of all possible worlds" morons trying to apply tiny group-level differences to individuals.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 27, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Banana Man posted:

Can someone explain to me why Cambridge Analitica's information gathering was illegal (or potentially illegal)? I'm having a hard time understanding, as I assumed that is something that was already done constantly with various ads and whatnot along the line of figuring out your demographics so ads would be better targeted to you. Thanks in advance!

Literally go read, I'm not sure right now how this question can be asked in good faith with so much good material floating about on the subject.

Non-arcane FEC violations that we actually do enforce frequently and severely. Plus fraud.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Camel Camus posted:

The scariest shark is the Whale Shark, which consumes whales with one muscular bite.

How smooth are they?

That one seems real smooth.

Ratoslov posted:

The scariest shark is the dwarf lanternshark, because of how many of them could fit inside your body cavity.

They are also extremely smooth.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 27, 2018

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The scariest shark is the dwarf lanternshark, because of how many of them could fit inside your body cavity.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Charliegrs posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the biggest idiots in the Cambridge Analyitica scandal are the typical Facebook users? I mean are people really that naive to think that if they make their whole lives public then there will be no repercussions? And do they understand what "public" means? Why was this the straw that broke the camel's back? For years I've been hearing stories about employers firing employees for social media posts that were slightly less than professional and yet everyone still used these stupid websites? But when word gets out that some shady company basically stole everyone's info all of a sudden everyone wants to delete their Facebook pages? I just don't get it.

There’s a difference between “idiots post a film to Facebook of them taking their daughters to desecrate a mosque, are surprised when the police cite the video during their arrest” and “reporter finds that the Facebook app on her phone has a detailed list of every call she has ever made and to whom”.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

How smooth are they?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Behold the reason why Trump will never drop below 40% approval:

https://twitter.com/AC360/status/978452945535688705

People like this.

The amount of rationalization here is quite alarming.

Push El Burrito posted:

Sharks are actually a type of dolphin.

Orcas actually are!

This is today's fact about fish.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

AmiYumi posted:

Okay, great, there’s no answer you will accept, Strong Daddy is invincible and Nothing Matters. Can we move the gently caress on before this eats up five more pages?

:rolleyes:

I know it’s the MO of this forum to snark dissent into oblivion, but if you think my opinion is that Trump is Teflon through any manner of personal attribute then you haven’t even read what I’ve been saying.

Our society is built to benefit people like Trump, and he is the distillation of that privilege. Just like the white collar financial criminals, I’ll believe he will face consequences for his crimes when it actually happens. That’s a pretty reasonable position.

I hope he’s miserable—he certainly seems like it. But painting him as some Shakespearean tragic figure isn’t really very compelling argument for consequences while he continues to wallow in means most humans will never enjoy.

/derail

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 27, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

KickerOfMice posted:

Orcas actually are!

This is today's fact about fish.
Orcas are not fish:colbert:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

:rolleyes:

I know it’s the MO of this forum to snark dissent into oblivion, but if you think my opinion is that Trump is Teflon through any manner of personal attribute then you haven’t even read what I’ve been saying.

Our society is built to benefit people like Trump, and he is the distillation of that privilege. Just like the white collar financial criminals, I’ll believe he will face consequences for his crimes when it actually happens. That’s a pretty reasonable position.

I hope he’s miserable—he certainly seems like it. But painting him as some Shakespearean tragic figure isn’t really very compelling argument for consequences while he continues to wallow in means most humans will never enjoy.

/derail

There's got to be a legal way to stuck a blade between those plates of gold-brushed armor, I think Muller is incubating it in his nest of rolled subpoenas. And sorry if this is re-hashing a prior argument - This Stormy case is big news, and I want her to get some cold hard justice right across his asscheeks, but I think it might be energizing his lovely base. Infidelity (which is what they boil it down to, trust me,) is a moral failure they could/have committed. Easy to ostentatiously hand wave that away, instead of focusing on the even more horrifying poo poo he's currently doing.

^^^^
And sharks are not dolphins :v: :thejoke:

e- I speel good.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 27, 2018

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ratoslov posted:

Well it turns out I didn't want this to be the first post I read this morning.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
And as for finding a legal weapon: The dumb fucker's businesses aren't actually good for anything. I'm betting money laundering. Hey, they nailed Al Capone for tax-evasion!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

KickerOfMice posted:

And as for finding a legal weapon: The dumb fucker's businesses aren't actually good for anything. I'm betting money laundering. Hey, they nailed Al Capone for tax-evasion!

And this would be great, because ideally he not only gets convicted of a crime (or a dozen), but has his assets seized and is wrecked financially. I don't want to see him merely in prison, I want to see him utterly devastated.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KickerOfMice posted:

There's got to be a legal way to stuck a blade between those plates of gold-brushed armor, I think Muller is incubating it in his nest of rolled subpoenas. And sorry if this is re-hashing a prior argument - This Stormy case is big news, and I want her to get some cold hard justice right across his asscheeks, but I think it might be energizing his lovely base. Infidelity (which is what they boil it down to, trust me,) is a moral failure they could/have committed. Easy to ostentatiously hand wave that away, instead of focusing on the even more horrifying poo poo he's currently doing.

^^^^
And sharks are not dolphins :v: :thejoke:

e- I speel good.

I certainly hope Mueller is putting something together—I guess the biggest worry is the environment we have created in which a loving unprincipled, unethical, idiotic monster could lurch to power.

Even if there is strong evidence of wrongdoing we are in uncharted waters with pardon power and the GOP has shown no political will to hold him accountable for anything.

And while there are nice indicators of a blue wave, is anyone confident that democratic leadership will hold him accountable? I’m not.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

And this would be great, because ideally he not only gets convicted of a crime (or a dozen), but has his assets seized and is wrecked financially. I don't want to see him merely in prison, I want to see him utterly devastated.

And it would ruin the whole family because they all work together.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

LeeMajors posted:

And while there are nice indicators of a blue wave, is anyone confident that democratic leadership will hold him accountable? I’m not.

I guess the thing to do now for this would be to organize a grassroots movement demanding he pay for his crimes. Hashtags, marches, the whole nine yards.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

I certainly hope Mueller is putting something together—I guess the biggest worry is the environment we have created in which a loving unprincipled, unethical, idiotic monster could lurch to power.
We're already there. IT SUCKS! :v:

quote:

Even if there is strong evidence of wrongdoing we are in uncharted waters with pardon power and the GOP has shown no political will to hold him accountable for anything.

The GOP won't do poo poo about poo poo, ever. Do I think he'll be held accountable by the status quo? 1% of maybe. Do I hope the next election will increase those chances quite a bit? Yes! Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 27, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ratoslov posted:

I guess the thing to do now for this would be to organize a grassroots movement demanding he pay for his crimes. Hashtags, marches, the whole nine yards.

I thought Mexico was going to pay for those :mexico:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

i turned my email over to the times dumb paywall to read the whole article and I don't think his argument is inherently pro social stratifcation

quote:

Yet if you argue that nurture is everything and nature is nothing, then you effectively condemn people who went to poor schools to being second-rate and irredeemable; if you think nature matters, then it follows that there are gifted people in bad schools who the system should discover and rescue through affirmative action. Professor Plomin’s own talents were recognised after an IQ test: he came from a home with no books and neither parent went to university.

that sounds an a lot like the stephen j gould quote about there being undiscovered einsteins out there who never got the right breaks.

He's the author of the book 'nature via nurture' which is about why both matter so I'd assume he's not a hardcore genetic determinist.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 27, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ratoslov posted:

Technically a Great White could fit inside my body cavity, but it'd be wearing me more as a jaunty hat or a shaw.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Stickman posted:

I'll admit to not bothering to look at the paywalled article before responding to your article. :blush:

I'd have to dive deeper into the genetic studies, but you can count me as extremely skeptical. Basically, they claim to have found a constellation of genetic markers that can produce some "intelligence aptitude" score, which when applied to standardized test scores can explain away the (already very small) difference in scores between public and private schools.

Here's where the skepticism comes in: if they discovered those markers using correlated "intellegence" scores in the same population, if they weren't extremely careful it's very likely that they've simply identified genetic markers for various classes/locales/ethnic groups with Britain and are simply measuring the environmental effects associated with those groups. "Public" and "private" schools are going to have considerable variation (even in Britain), as are individual families and students. Just imagine what you'd expect to find if you looked for genetic markers associated with standardized test scores in the deep south or American cities. Do you really think Britain is such egalitarian utopia that it wouldn't have any similar correlations? I'd have to look closer at they're methodology to see if they've addressed this in any way, but their are many researchers out there who are quick to throw genetic markers at unexplained variation just to try to make something stick, even when they have no way of truly separating genetic and environmental effects.

And if by some chance they have managed to locate "intellegence" markers, the identified effect is tiny. Tiny enough that any reasonably constructed society would totally ignore it in favor of more individual and immediate merits. Any additional gain in "efficiency" or whatever you're looking for is definitely not going to be worth the loss of everyone your punting because they're lacking some tiny advantage.

E: To put it another way, if you somehow managed to level the environmental playing field, even by the standards of the study what's left is going to be a considerable amount of random variation and a tiny amount of genetic influence. It might be an interesting scientific question, but it's totally useless from a practical perspective. The environmental + random effects mean that if you try to use genetic factors to shoehorn people onto some path, you're getting extremely marginal gains in exchange for what will probably end up being losses due to the loss of self-determination and acknowledgement of individual treatment (and you'll be setting up environmental feedback loops to further reinforce your lovely system). AND you get to deal with all the loving "best of all possible worlds" morons trying to apply tiny group-level differences to individuals.

There are also better ways of trying to disentangle hereditary and environmental effects, like twin studies and studies looking at adopted kids.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

LeeMajors posted:

... is anyone confident that democratic leadership will hold him accountable? I’m not.
I think this will depend on the level of complicity and collusion that gets exposed - whether national security has been jeopardised (it has) and to what level. Ford pardoned Nixon using 'national healing' as a grounds. I'm not sure that would work here. There's definitely enough people out there who want to see him burn. I don't think a democratic congress and/or president could get away with it without getting a huge backlash. So I guess the question becomes will they care?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

There are few thing which I find more rage inducing than journalists who use phrases such as 'new study shows', followed by the most imbecilic, shoddy, ideologically driven "research". Whoever pays these people, much less give them a platform on which they can sprout their pseudo-scientific bullshit, should be up against the loving wall. It's always been a problem within the field of economics, but I feel like it has been on the rise in most other fields, as of late. Late stage capitalism, crudely, but effectively, moving to secure the production of knowledge itself. Combined with the increasing managerialism on universities working to life as miserable as possible for the last few actually good researchers, things are looking real bad on this front.

>Edit: just for reference, intelligence isn't actually something which exist or is a meaningful category outside everyday talk usage, just like race doesn't. Also, the nature/ nurture distinction is both obsolete and inadequate for anything other than political talking points. Also, if you insist on using that distinction, nurture is by far, far, far, the most important factor. For an overview, look at anyone who ever did serious research into education/pedagogy (you can start with Dewey and Bourdieu, if you just want to skip directly to the conclusion).

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 27, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Some googling shows that this journalist/researcher is a member of the loving House of Lords so this is pretty unsurprising.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

massive spider posted:

i turned my email over to the times dumb paywall to read the whole article and I don't think his argument is inherently pro social stratifcation

that sounds an a lot like the stephen j gould quote about there being undiscovered einsteins out there who never got the right breaks.

He's the author of the book 'nature via nurture' which is about why both matter so I'd assume he's not a hardcore genetic determinist.

Isn’t the implication of that quote that we should leave poor/bad schools in place and leave everyone not genetically gifted to rot within them, “rescuing” only the diamonds in the rough?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Stickman posted:

This wasn't a study that drew blood or was looking at any of that stuff.

it was one of those studies showing that if you give a kid a test in pre-school the score they get on that is the best predictor of what grade they will get on final tests on the last day of school and that kinda beyond a minimum threshold of a school needing to exist pretty much everything that happens in school seems to be largely irrelevant and the educational differance between the lowest and highest school is only a few percent. If you factor out the starting conditions.

Like take out the gene stuff the article added and it's a study showing that fancy private schools do get way higher scores than public schools but that kids that get the same starting score in public school get the same grades anyway, so the fancy school isn't actually doing anything. It's just collecting initially higher scoring kids and adding nothing.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

That's just saying that we've done a great job at teaching standardized testing in our shittiest schools

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

Sharks are actually a type of dolphin.

This guy gets it

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

Why would someone intentionally center-poll the podium? It ruins the composition of the original photo.

Auto crop software exists with edge detection you know.

The more relevant question is why is the only poc pushed out to the periphery of the group photo.

Thats what i’m saying, man.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
There is a clam, that can eat a man. Shellfish are fish.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 27, 2018

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Chilichimp posted:

Don't record yourself DOING CRIMES

But but MAGA and poo poo. Surely this will make them the coolest people in their circle of MAGAmorons

Shifty Pony posted:

I asked this earlier and nobody really had a concrete answer because the situation is just so unusual. What I thought complicated matters is that we know SHucks lies constantly and often does so on her feet without consulting with Trump, so can her statements be taken as an official statement from Trump himself?

Also I wondered if Shucks being briefed about the NDA by Trump (evidenced by the "we won an arbitration ruling" statement she made) could theoretically void it as she is not party to the agreement nor acting as a representative of Trump (she is technically giving statements on behalf of the White House, not Trump directly).

Remember in the 90's when Republicans launched a multy-million dollar investigation because this was a shameful act on behalf of the president?

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Are grenade launchers legal in Texas?

(I'm asking in all seriousness.)

EDIT: My dumb brain interpreted KHOU as meaning the story itself took place in Houston. The above article takes place in Massachusetts.

I guess the question stands: Is it legal to own a grenade launcher anywhere in the US?

Ayup. But as stated, grenades tend to be really hard to acquire. Depending on what model you have (Like those on the SKS) you can buy a cup that fits on it that will let you launch golf balls.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 27, 2018

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
GIS "shellfish with fins"-

Okay, we will!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Dolphins are a type of shark. Change my mind.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dolphins are sea pork, though some scientists classify it as chicken

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

cr0y posted:

Dolphins have very rough skin, nothing like sharks.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cable Guy posted:

I think this will depend on the level of complicity and collusion that gets exposed - whether national security has been jeopardised (it has) and to what level. Ford pardoned Nixon using 'national healing' as a grounds. I'm not sure that would work here. There's definitely enough people out there who want to see him burn. I don't think a democratic congress and/or president could get away with it without getting a huge backlash. So I guess the question becomes will they care?

Yeah, I think it can go in a lot of ways.

Really though, I somewhat hope that we get the bombshell closer to 2020 and don't have time to impeach. Impeaching doesn't save the Union, it just martyrs him. It leaves all the chuds mobilized and angry, ready to lash out and attack Democrats for stealing away their victory. It breaks the Democratic model further, and continues the divide we currently have in America. It also gives us Pence, which DECORUM would have the Dems bending over backwards again to appease him and let him do far more heinous poo poo since he actually understands how government works and what he can get away with.

The best timeline seems like a Dem Congress that can block basically everything Donny wants to do so he looks like a giant pissbaby and can't accomplish poo poo, forcing him to give up more and more which'll cause his base to splinter and die ( the only thing that seems to piss them off is Donny being shown as weak and having to put in Dem stuff, see Omnibus. ). Followed by him/the GOP getting thrown out of Government to the point they aren't even a party anymore come 2020. A resounding and total gently caress YOU from the entire country would be the only way to send the chuds and neo fascists back to hiding.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

cr0y posted:

Dolphins are nothing like sharks. Dolphins are covered in soft brown fir, use rocks to crack open shells on their bellies, and hold hands with other dolphins while they sleep so they don't drift apart. Sharks are much too busy for that.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, I think it can go in a lot of ways.

Really though, I somewhat hope that we get the bombshell closer to 2020 and don't have time to impeach. Impeaching doesn't save the Union, it just martyrs him. It leaves all the chuds mobilized and angry, ready to lash out and attack Democrats for stealing away their victory. It breaks the Democratic model further, and continues the divide we currently have in America. It also gives us Pence, which DECORUM would have the Dems bending over backwards again to appease him and let him do far more heinous poo poo since he actually understands how government works and what he can get away with.

The best timeline seems like a Dem Congress that can block basically everything Donny wants to do so he looks like a giant pissbaby and can't accomplish poo poo, forcing him to give up more and more which'll cause his base to splinter and die ( the only thing that seems to piss them off is Donny being shown as weak and having to put in Dem stuff, see Omnibus. ). Followed by him/the GOP getting thrown out of Government to the point they aren't even a party anymore come 2020. A resounding and total gently caress YOU from the entire country would be the only way to send the chuds and neo fascists back to hiding.

the best 'timeline' is where he is actively having a stroke or heart attack, right now in this moment, and pence inherits a dem congress and is a lame duck for three years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Dolphins are sea pork, though some scientists classify it as chicken

Dolphins are Japanese chicken.

• Locked thread