Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I gave up on Dark Souls about 45 minutes in. Weird rear end control scheme, sluggish gameplay, and all I remember is fighting some random skeleton men walking along a ledge for no apparent reason. Might as well have been goombas on the wall of Bowser's castle. Shrug.

I've literally spent more time playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour than Dark Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dont even fink about it posted:

RTS games are still cool and good

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Projectile spam in fighting games is a legitimate and often best strategy

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I do not understand how or why Crusader Kings 2 is popular. The game is almost completely non-interactive. I think you could walk out of the door with the game running for an hour and come back and you'd not be disadvantaged in any way.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Projectile spam in fighting games is a legitimate and often best strategy
So are base-rushing and screen peeks, but we don't do them to be sportsmanlike.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jeza posted:

I do not understand how or why Crusader Kings 2 is popular. The game is almost completely non-interactive. I think you could walk out of the door with the game running for an hour and come back and you'd not be disadvantaged in any way.
I feel like the stupidest adhd kid imaginable whenever I try to play a game like that or Europa Universalis or something similar. I have no goddamn patience for a game with such a horizontal learning curve.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jeza posted:

Sometimes games like this are awesome, I like setting up a decent colony in RimWorld and just letting it run autonomously on Easy while I work. It's like a screensaver but sometimes people go on arson sprees!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jeza posted:

its like owning a fish tank. you set up all the little castles and put what kinds of fish you want inside. but once that is done the fish do their own thing and you get to watch them

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Maybe my preconceptions of how to play it and what to expect are just wonky then. I did enjoy Rimworld somewhat, but there was always something to be getting on with. In CK2 I'd be sitting there in 4x speed like...guess I'll cripple myself on a Grand Hunt again.

I gave it a fair shake of the dice but it's really not my cup of tea. I do like relaxing low-pressure games too, but I like for there to be stuff to tinker with. In CK2, it really is like a fish tank - look but don't touch.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I feel like the stupidest adhd kid imaginable whenever I try to play a game like that or Europa Universalis or something similar. I have no goddamn patience for a game with such a horizontal learning curve.

You should try stellaris, as it's the easiest to learn and it's a lot like those games, uses the same engine, but is a build-your-own-space-empire simulator with a lot cribbed from the 4x genre

once i had a good feel for stellaris, i understood ck2 and had a lot of fun.

that other dude is just straight up wrong though. if you're not doing anything then you're not playing correctly

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I love Stellaris though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I loved Stellaris a year or two ago and then I just tried to start a new game and it's so different I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

outposts are how you grow your territory now, and they cost an influence amount, instead of reducing monthly influence. You even have to drop them before colonizing. they upgrade into defensive structures or military ship production depending on what you choose to build/upgrade

hyperlanes only now

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Battlefield 1 is the worst FPS I have ever played, period.

The term "balance" absolutely does not apply to this game whatsoever; There are definitive "best" guns, all locked behind the season pass paywall, gun customization & selection is loving paltry. Classes are unbalanced, for instance everyone uses scout while assault is completely useless 100% of the time unless there's a vehicle that needs to be blown up. Speaking of vehicles, man are they overpowered this time around, 2 heavy tanks will basically ensure a victory for any team if they keep em alive. This game has the absolute worst spawn system I have ever seen implemented in a game, last night I spawned in front of 2 enemies when spawning by our control point, then spawned on a teammate who was parachuting so I fell to my death, then spawned on a different point and was spawn-killed by a sniper (yeah remember when FPS developers would go through lengthy pains to make sure spawn-camping wasn't a thing?).

The maps are terrible, they didn't even loving try. The reason everyone uses scouts to get easy snipes is because there's always a huge amount of ground to cover with no cover to hide behind, it makes the game tedious and seriously not fun to play for anyone who doesn't like camping in one spot and sniping the entire game. The controls are hosed up, running and gunning is fine for the most part, but why can't my guy jump over a 3-foot wall without loving up constantly? Or how about that delay between equipping a tool and using it? The vehicles control so loving bad it's like the controls were ripped out of an N64 game.

Here's the thing though, I've played FPS games with glaring problems, the important thing is that the game is fun. This game is not fun, even when I win it's a lesson in frustration and unsatisfying gunplay. Yes, the guns are loving poo poo, most of them have trouble shooting a bullet straight, a bunch of them are loving useless like shotguns, and the rest are snipers than can noscope you from 30 miles away. The thing that I find pisses me off the most is the lack of visibility anywhere, constant use of dust, smoke, and HDR effects renders this game unviewable a lot of the time, but that does not mean the enemy cannot see you.. Why the gently caress is the contrast so high and why can't I turn it down? You cannot see into a dark building if you're standing outside and vice-versa, this is not realistic, strategic, or fun. The constant grey and brown tones make enemies disappear as it's impossible to differentiate their browns and tan fatigues against the brown and tan world DICE has created.

If you like this game, it's not okay, go gently caress yourself. It's a lovely reskin of DICE's battlefront and was made as another cheap cash-grab for EA, just to sell season pass and DLC to suckers.

*breathes heavily*

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

sounds like ww1 to me

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

:staredog:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

as angry and wordy as that rant is it's 100% correct, i got BF1 for like eight dollars and i feel like i wildly overpaid

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yep it's bad and the UI is very bad

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I found Witcher 3 boring. The story did nothing for me, and having so much stuff you can pick up to craft with felt overwhelming. Character control and combat was a bit frustrating too.

I got to the second zone, and after digging up the Bloody Barron's baby (or whatever you do) it was an uninstall for me.

starkebn fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 27, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

starkebn posted:

I found Witcher 3 boring. The story did nothing for me, and having so much stuff you can pick up to craft with felt overwhelming. Character control and combat was a bit frustrating too.

I got to the second zone, and after digging up the Bloody Barron's baby (out whatever you do) it was an uninstall for me.

Mostly agree but I thought the world and side quests were enough to get by on. Terrible combat/controls and the main story was boring though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One cool thing Witcher 3 did was only making you craft anything once. Once you've crafted a potion it's basically a per-rest resource, minimising the fiddling around you need to do in the clunky (and, on ps4, laggy to the point of being borderline unusable) pause menu

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Witcher 3's combat is its weakest element and its main story is nothing special at all, but the side quests are great and Hearts of Stone is an awesome DLC

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

everything about the witcher 3 is perfect. the combat, the story, the side content, the expansions are all perfect and untouchable and i would refuse to play videogames with anyone who disagreed

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They're certainly untouchable to me, since after finishing the game I traded it in to buy Dragon's Dogma for a third drat time

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

loving gross

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the witcher 3 is cool and geralt is my friend but frankly I could do without the cumbersome inventory management and crafting system

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I also legitimately like geralt's voice actor which might be considered an unpopular opinion but I'm not entirely sure

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jeza posted:

CK2 gets more involved in the higher-ranking and bigger kingdom/empire playthroughs. If you're playing an Irish minor trying to unite Ireland like most people will recommend you start out as, it can get kinda boring where entire rulerships have nothing interesting happening except your heir getting born. Start as an Italian duke or Spanish kingdom and there's a lot more to do with vassals trying to rebel or Muslims trying to kick you out of spain.

That said, it is slower than something like the Europa games where you have more control of your economy to wage war when you want, instead of having to stockpile gold like in CK2

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

multiplayer message-leaving is by far the coolest thing that demons/dark/bloodborne/souls did with multiplayer

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

Battlefield 1 is the worst FPS I have ever played, period.

The term "balance" absolutely does not apply to this game whatsoever; There are definitive "best" guns, all locked behind the season pass paywall, gun customization & selection is loving paltry. Classes are unbalanced, for instance everyone uses scout while assault is completely useless 100% of the time unless there's a vehicle that needs to be blown up. Speaking of vehicles, man are they overpowered this time around, 2 heavy tanks will basically ensure a victory for any team if they keep em alive. This game has the absolute worst spawn system I have ever seen implemented in a game, last night I spawned in front of 2 enemies when spawning by our control point, then spawned on a teammate who was parachuting so I fell to my death, then spawned on a different point and was spawn-killed by a sniper (yeah remember when FPS developers would go through lengthy pains to make sure spawn-camping wasn't a thing?).

The maps are terrible, they didn't even loving try. The reason everyone uses scouts to get easy snipes is because there's always a huge amount of ground to cover with no cover to hide behind, it makes the game tedious and seriously not fun to play for anyone who doesn't like camping in one spot and sniping the entire game. The controls are hosed up, running and gunning is fine for the most part, but why can't my guy jump over a 3-foot wall without loving up constantly? Or how about that delay between equipping a tool and using it? The vehicles control so loving bad it's like the controls were ripped out of an N64 game.

Here's the thing though, I've played FPS games with glaring problems, the important thing is that the game is fun. This game is not fun, even when I win it's a lesson in frustration and unsatisfying gunplay. Yes, the guns are loving poo poo, most of them have trouble shooting a bullet straight, a bunch of them are loving useless like shotguns, and the rest are snipers than can noscope you from 30 miles away. The thing that I find pisses me off the most is the lack of visibility anywhere, constant use of dust, smoke, and HDR effects renders this game unviewable a lot of the time, but that does not mean the enemy cannot see you.. Why the gently caress is the contrast so high and why can't I turn it down? You cannot see into a dark building if you're standing outside and vice-versa, this is not realistic, strategic, or fun. The constant grey and brown tones make enemies disappear as it's impossible to differentiate their browns and tan fatigues against the brown and tan world DICE has created.

If you like this game, it's not okay, go gently caress yourself. It's a lovely reskin of DICE's battlefront and was made as another cheap cash-grab for EA, just to sell season pass and DLC to suckers.

*breathes heavily*

i redboxed it and this seems 100% accurate. it honestly feels like 99% of the FPS games i've played in the past few years despite ever increasing production values just straight up aren't good or fun to play. like their mechanics are poo poo and it's not actually fun. it's like everything is designed to give the impression of fun but nobody remembers to actually make it fun to do the very basic things which is shoot people with a gun

titanfall 2 is the one major exception. it's extremely fun to shoot people in that game

edit: and doom

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

then spawned on a teammate who was parachuting so I fell to my death

This is incredible

I used to hate Insurgency for being a tad 1998 in the way it handles multiplayer (badly, with lots of camping), but it's a really solid PvE experience as long as you are OK with spending a significant portion of a match dead and forgiving its eccentricities by way of being a Source engine game. For example, there's no system to save your loadouts.

I'm excited for the new one, but afraid they are going to gently caress it up like they did Day of Infamy by adding too much artillery and call-ins that detract from the core experience of shooting mans.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It was pretty much all downhill after Bulletstorm.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

starkebn posted:

I got to the second zone, and after digging up the Bloody Barron's baby (or whatever you do) it was an uninstall for me.

i played for a few hours and it just felt so creepy to be in some polish dude's power fantasy that i was just grossed out

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

you're an idiot if you read it that way.

i'm gonna be the guy who angrily defends witcher 3 from you "people"

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

basic hitler posted:

you're an idiot if you read it that way.

i'm gonna be the guy who angrily defends witcher 3 from you "people"

Will you wield silver or steel?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

they're both for monsters so it doesn't matter

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

manticore steel superior hanged man's venom and a deep alchemy build with grandmaster manticore armor

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Whichever one the game automatically places in my hand when combat begins

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
yeah make sure you've also done all the requisite gathering, crafting, questing, and inventory management to have that gear on hand lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I will never play the Witcher 3 because I can’t stand Geralt’s monotone voice

I recognize it might be a great video game, certainly looks fine the first few hours but I just can’t stand the dude