Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Simon Numbers posted:

I need some advice on triple battery setups for week long trips. I'm going to run the double battery as is factory spec for my '94 surf 1kz-te with some 810cca. Not sure what would be the best in the back, i'm thinking a deep cycle marine battery.

Also looking at doing the Canning stock route next year. 1850km of 4x4 will be pretty awesome, will need to carry a spare everything though.

Andrew SPW (4xOverland channel on YouTube) did the Canning Stock last year, he's put up a ton of videos about it. Looks like a tough but amazing drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
It looks amazing but god he’s punishingly boring and pompous

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

punishingly boring and pompous

:spergin: OVERLANDING in a nutshell

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

If i can spin over my 4.2L 1HD-FTE 6 pot diesel with a single optima yellowtop, your going to have absolutely zero issues with a 3L 4 pot. I've got the same motor in my old 92 Hilux and its been running since battery since I bought the motor and dropped it in- Single N70 and its never let me down.

Third batteries are good if your sitting still for a looong time without solar- I generally run twin 40L engel fridges when I go bush for extended trips and unless Im parked up for more than about 3 days, my 100AH deep AGM deep cycle will keep em and all my lights and other rubbish running.

My 100 came factory from toyota with twin N50's in paralell- Ive swapped em out for an Optima Yellowtop as a crank battery and a 100AH Powersonic AGM as an Aux with a simple Redarc between em. The quality of battery is more important than number of them on a trip like that- I love my yellowtop because it cant shake itself to death like a standard lead acid can because of its design, and corrugations are going to be the biggest bitch on that trip.

Buy the absolute highest end shock absorbers you can afford and fit under your truck.

Im starting the list of poo poo I need to do before July- We're doing a 4500km, 3 week trip that goes the whole way up the Oodnadatta track to Alice Springs, Then across to the Hay River Track, through the simpson to Birdsville then back down the Birdsville track and home to Adelaide via the flinders ranges.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
I should be OK with the double yellow top under the bonnet, I plan to be stopped for at least a week on some of my trips this year, just sitting in the bush fishing and unwinding. Keeping the fridge running as well as radio chews through a bit considering I have an old 3 way fridge 240v/12v/gas and i'm not going to buy a new one until it breaks. I'll probably end up doing the 105ah AGM deep cycle under the folded down backseat.

The 4xOverland dude makes me fall asleep so I muted him and just watched the video, i'm on the side of camping where it doesn't take much to make me comfortable, and this guy just overdoes it.

I prefer this guy if anyone is interested in watching it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wtx4K0KXZ4.

Going to hit a few warm up tracks before I hit the big one, going to do the creb track after Easter. Then go out to the finke desert race and fart around in the Simpson for a little bit just to see the sights.

Then to finish off the year i'll be doing a top end tour through kakadu to drysdale and then on through to Karratha. Then find somewhere on the way back with a natural spring to spend until school holidays start then I'll leg it back to Townsville.

Will upgrade my suspension and throw some water tanks under the back and upgrade my fuel tank to 110L. Also going to rig a hotwater shower along the rooftop tent to get that dust off me after a long day.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

If your stopping for a week at a time, invest in a solar panel setup. Only way to fly with long term camping and 12v fridges.

I’ve got a combo tank under the back of my landcruiser. Means I’ve got 55L of water and 217L of diesel down nice and low and don’t have to piss fart around with jerry cans

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ferremit posted:

I’ve got a combo tank under the back of my landcruiser. Means I’ve got 55L of water and 217L of diesel down nice and low and don’t have to piss fart around with jerry cans

Of course these exist...

And look, there's a few manufacturers who make them for 40s, and they're all on the opposite side of the planet from me, like every goddamn other oem and aftermarket part for my truck. This is why I don't read this thread, you just make me so loving jealous.

On the topic of Optima YellowTops. I have one that I bought about 10 years ago for my Pickup that ultimately never got used much in that application and spent as much as a year and a half completely discharged. It's on a battery tender these days because we use it as an aux battery in the shop for starting the generator and boosting vehicles, still cookin' along fine. I'm debating using it in the 45, but it's a lot smaller than the battery tray.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Paulie posted:

:spergin: OVERLANDING in a nutshell

Yeah it's real lame, EXPEDITIONS, wank. Expedition Overland is fairly terrible also but nice cinematography, just really over the top

Ronny Dahl at least is a pretty normal 4wd trip video youtuber

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I recently bought my friends 2006 Dodge Durango. I can't tell if there is a lift kit on this thing - whether just a simple body lift, or something suspension related - or not. I know nothing about 4x4 vehicles.

He can't give me a straight answer because he's so edgy. I asked if he ever lifted this thing with aftermarket stuff - "Aww I don't know man I do a lot of stuff to my trucks" Thanks for the help dude.

Can you all tell me if this looks lifted somehow over the stock ride height of where a 2006 Dodge Durango would normally sit?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

Yeah it's real lame, EXPEDITIONS, wank. Expedition Overland is fairly terrible also but nice cinematography, just really over the top

Ronny Dahl at least is a pretty normal 4wd trip video youtuber

Whatever you do, dont watch "All4Adventure" if you value your sanity. Those two spanners are the biggest fuckwits i've ever seen in a 4wd.

Nothing beats the old Les Hiddins "Bush Tucker Man" series though. Could watch those for eternity.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Dennis McClaren posted:

I recently bought my friends 2006 Dodge Durango. I can't tell if there is a lift kit on this thing - whether just a simple body lift, or something suspension related - or not. I know nothing about 4x4 vehicles.

He can't give me a straight answer because he's so edgy. I asked if he ever lifted this thing with aftermarket stuff - "Aww I don't know man I do a lot of stuff to my trucks" Thanks for the help dude.

Can you all tell me if this looks lifted somehow over the stock ride height of where a 2006 Dodge Durango would normally sit?

Its definitely lifted, but your pictures are too small to actually see anything.

Why are you friends with someone like that, hope you didnt pay too much.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Wheel gap definitely tells me it's lifted, but the distance from the bump stop to the axle looks pretty stock. Also it doesn't look like there's any modification to the spring mount or anything... Quite likely a body lift. But yea, need better pics.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Could the wheels be too small?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Dennis McClaren posted:

"Aww I don't know man I do a lot of stuff to my trucks"

A+ seller, would mouthfuck.

No lift on the suspension. bumpstop distance is a giveaway.
No lift on the body, note body to frame crossmember clearance.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 4, 2018

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

cosmicjim posted:

Now that you mention it, yea, the tires do look comically small.

You should probably sell it before the transmission explodes...

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Yeah, he's not really an rear end, he's just a weirdo. But he's a good friend, and just bought a new 2017 Ram, and this was sitting in his driveway going nowhere for months. He has a few trucks.

I paid $1k for it. Just funny money, and it's in okay shape; so no big deal if it craps itself down the road. But no leaks, no rust, etc. Not a bad truck.

That tire IS too small, good catch! When I picked it up from him, it had the spare steelie on it. That rim had a nail in it's tire, and I just took it to get fixed. I had a little tire shop just put a similar used tire on - until I can buy a new set of tires all around in a few weeks.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

cosmicjim posted:

My first thought on seeing it was “I don’t see a lift but I looked like tires/rims are small as poo poo”. The Durango’s of that era had pretty beefy tires on them, I thought

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Whatever you do, dont watch "All4Adventure" if you value your sanity. Those two spanners are the biggest fuckwits i've ever seen in a 4wd.

Nothing beats the old Les Hiddins "Bush Tucker Man" series though. Could watch those for eternity.

all their videos are poo poo short advertisements for various sponsors as far as I can tell anyway

a bit like 4WD Action, except waaaaay worse

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

My particular favourite was when they were hamming it up for the camera playing on a tidal mud flat and sunk a 200 series to the floor just before the tide started to come in.

Then their idiocy came out front and centre when they tried to snatch it out at an angle and rolled the 70 series onto its side....

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah that was 100% chump, also I hate the vests

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Full of annoying gronks but the Sam Eyles Chasing Lines series has some good footage and shows the Old Telegraph Track. Which I'm doing in August.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

pazrs posted:

Full of annoying gronks but the Sam Eyles Chasing Lines series has some good footage and shows the Old Telegraph Track. Which I'm doing in August.

The built not bought series is alright too.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Lonestar Toyota Jamboree registration opened today!

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Any goons 4x4 with a 2nd Gen Trooper? Been looking for a 4x4 that isn't a Toyota (the Toyota tax is insane in Colorado) and clean Troopers keep popping up for not much money.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Nohearum posted:

Any goons 4x4 with a 2nd Gen Trooper? Been looking for a 4x4 that isn't a Toyota (the Toyota tax is insane in Colorado) and clean Troopers keep popping up for not much money.

I've always had first gens, but I'm on all the Isuzu forums and a bunch of groups and have gleaned some info over the years. The 92-97's are great with the manual. The SOHC and DOHC 3.2 are good motors I think you get somewhere in the neighborhood of 185-195hp. Some tinkering jobs can be tough, similar to many Japanese motors of the era. The auto is the 4L30e, and a problem for heavier vehicles like the trooper. They just aren't really up to the job for very long (125-150k they seem to go, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on use and maintenance) and unless it's been recently replaced/rebuilt, you might as well put a couple G's aside for one. With the manual, you're good to go. If you find a 93-95 short wheelbase 2 door, those are a lot of fun and rare as heck. Stock I believe all models are geared 4.56, but if you can find them, you can swap in a set of 4.77's that were optional in the 1st gens. You can get the Aussie/Lokka lunchbox locker for both ends, as well as ARB air lockers and Harrop e-lockers. Independent4x makes and carries aftermarket stuff for them. OME, sway-away, and others make suspension kits, and you can piece together a decent kit for cheap with a bit of know-how. Upgraded tie rods and such are easily pieced together as well. There are still some revolution gear 3.07:1 transfer case gear sets out there, and they aren't too expensive compared to some others out there.

Fitting 33" tires is simple and doesn't take much. 35's+ will have you breaking poo poo and may not be smartest idea without a solid axle swap.

The 98-02 models suffer the same trans issues but also the burn oil like nobody's business. To remedy you have to pull the pistons and enlarge the oil drain back holes. A manual with a rebuilt/replaced 3.5 is a blast, but tough to find. 98+ gets you a much larger rear end (although the 92-97 unit is very stout), but not much aftermarket at all and no gearing options.

planetisuzoo.com is a good, active forum and there are groups on FB as well (Isuzu Trader is one).

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Got out, got dirty, got stuck, needed a winching. Now I need better recovery points.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Oops
SD 185 Snowtracks 02 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Don't drive on snowmobile tracks, kids, even when there are signs telling the snowmobilers to watch out and share the road with cars.

When a road is not plowed down to the mineral surface in Quebec, there's a reason. And that reason has tracks and skis, not wheels. I *almost* made it - I ended up around 100m from where the plow had stopped just past the last house. Top-left of this shot has a sign for the intersection with Autoroute 267, a well-maintained highway.
SD 185 Snowtracks 05 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
My GPS wanted me to go straight there. I got about 2/3 of the way up that slope to the right but my wheels were just slipping in 4Hi and I wanted to go back to the corner and have a look at things. On the way back down in reverse I went a bit to the right and just slid into the ditch. 4Lo was not effective at anything other than throwing a little of the white stuff into the air.

The snowmobilers who came by in the ~hour before the tow truck showed up (and refused the tow) thought it was goddam hilarious, though. Much laughter and high-5s and so forth.

After the truck refused the tow - he couldn't get in there, and shouted some number in the thousands at me, either the value of his truck or the cost of recovery if he gets stuck - a neighbour showed up by pure good luck and gave the phone number of a tractor-owning local to the tow driver. I should point out that I speak French poorly, but with the exception of one snowmobiler who had long since disappeared, nobody else spoke English. So there was a lot of hand-waving and pointing and me saying things like "comme ça?" while moving my arms around. Anyways, tractor showed up 10 minutes after the tow truck went away, and I got to perch in the cab while we drove down through that pristine, wind-blown, unpacked snow. I think it was around a foot deep in the shallow parts, much deeper most other places. Then a chain around my trailer hitch and much shouted "Requette! Requette!" which I learned means "put it in reverse and try to back up, you Anglo simpleton" in the local Quebecois spoken by old farmers. Then he pulled me up the hill, with much slipping and hard yanks on the chain.

I was expecting it to cost a lot more than $30. Thanks again, monsieur!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Oops
SD 185 Snowtracks 02 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Don't drive on snowmobile tracks, kids, even when there are signs telling the snowmobilers to watch out and share the road with cars.

When a road is not plowed down to the mineral surface in Quebec, there's a reason. And that reason has tracks and skis, not wheels. I *almost* made it - I ended up around 100m from where the plow had stopped just past the last house. Top-left of this shot has a sign for the intersection with Autoroute 267, a well-maintained highway.
SD 185 Snowtracks 05 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
My GPS wanted me to go straight there. I got about 2/3 of the way up that slope to the right but my wheels were just slipping in 4Hi and I wanted to go back to the corner and have a look at things. On the way back down in reverse I went a bit to the right and just slid into the ditch. 4Lo was not effective at anything other than throwing a little of the white stuff into the air.

The snowmobilers who came by in the ~hour before the tow truck showed up (and refused the tow) thought it was goddam hilarious, though. Much laughter and high-5s and so forth.

After the truck refused the tow - he couldn't get in there, and shouted some number in the thousands at me, either the value of his truck or the cost of recovery if he gets stuck - a neighbour showed up by pure good luck and gave the phone number of a tractor-owning local to the tow driver. I should point out that I speak French poorly, but with the exception of one snowmobiler who had long since disappeared, nobody else spoke English. So there was a lot of hand-waving and pointing and me saying things like "comme ça?" while moving my arms around. Anyways, tractor showed up 10 minutes after the tow truck went away, and I got to perch in the cab while we drove down through that pristine, wind-blown, unpacked snow. I think it was around a foot deep in the shallow parts, much deeper most other places. Then a chain around my trailer hitch and much shouted "Requette! Requette!" which I learned means "put it in reverse and try to back up, you Anglo simpleton" in the local Quebecois spoken by old farmers. Then he pulled me up the hill, with much slipping and hard yanks on the chain.

I was expecting it to cost a lot more than $30. Thanks again, monsieur!

So you're getting a winch?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Would not have helped in that situation. Maybe with whatever additional hardware would let me winch myself backwards.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Would not have helped in that situation. Maybe with whatever additional hardware would let me winch myself backwards.

Two winches, and an ATV stored in the bed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every time I've gotten stuck in snow it's involved reverse. You wander just a little bit and dip a tire off the pack and suddenly everything's sinking like a rock. All your moving bits are pretty much in the air and the vehicle's resting on the chassis.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I drove to QC city over new years and my stupid Garmin took me on road like that. I was in a convoy with a few cars going up for a party. I have 4x4 and extremely meaty snow tires, but the Subaru with half baked all seasons ended up about like you. Going to QC in the winter without snow tires is usually a bad idea since their idea of plowing is: "well, everyone should just have snow tires."

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Well, to be fair, everyone should just have snow tires when it snows. They are legally mandated here.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yup, legally required. There are exemptions you could get, but why?

Even the excellent studded winter tires I had a few years ago on my BMW would not have been helpful in that situation.

chrisgt posted:

Going to QC in the winter without snow tires is usually a bad idea since their idea of plowing is: "well, everyone should just have snow tires."
In my experience, the QC idea of plowing is GET OUT THERE RIGHT GODDAM NOW AND CLEAR THAT poo poo!
It's really impressive how quickly snow gets cleared from 99% of roads almost before the snow stops coming down. I think "snowplow driver" is a very common seasonal job, it's far too many people for it to be the sole preserve of municipal employees and landscaping companies. Somebody has probably done a PhD in economics on this.

My GPS is a Garmin, yeah. Most of the time I really like it, but sometimes it seems to come up with stupid ideas. Still my fault for following those stupid ideas, though.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Two winches, and an ATV stored in the bed.
Would an ATV be able to pull my 4000 lb truck out of a ditch like that?

How much does a small tractor weigh? I thought they're generally pretty heavy, but if there's one that comes in under, say, 2000 lbs I could tow it around on a little flatbed trailer.

EDIT: Since we're talking about getting stuck in snow, here's a little photoessay. This is A Thing I Do, apparently.
SD 054 Stuck Near Fenton Ferry (1 of 4) by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 054 Stuck Near Fenton Ferry (4 of 4) by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Wipeout 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 087 Snowy Roads and Not-Roads 15 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
OK this one's not snow but mud is just extended winter conditions.
Seba Beach Field Work August 2016 12 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I'm interested in knowing my own capabilities. The most reliable method I have for finding the boundaries of my personal performance envelope is to look for it in the rearview mirror.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 27, 2018

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Are you the person who keeps killing work trucks in Canadian swamps?

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

TotalLossBrain posted:

Are you the person who keeps killing work trucks in Canadian swamps?

That describes thousands of people lol

Kinda the whole point of Canada

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've been involved in the death of two work trucks in Alberta, Canada. In peatlands, not swamps. They're different. Both are wetlands, but peatlands have a thick layer of organic matter (peat) over the underlying mineral soil (which is glacial till under most of Canada) and swamps lack that layer.

I don't know which wetland type (there are 5) would be most likely to get a 3-tonne 4x4 pickup stuck and / or break it.

The F-150 (pictured above) was killed by transmission failure driven by overheating caused by packing the transmission cooler full of peat-and-clay. It was sold at auction for basically its value as a part-donator.

The Dodge 1500 (pictured in an earlier post from a few months ago) was exchanged with the rental company after the air-lift suspension system locked itself into an unsafe "rear end up / nose down" attitude. It's a Dodge so maybe they took it out back and put a bullet in it as an act of mercy? I would have, but not my truck.

So, yeah, it's probably me you're thinking of. Maybe I just document these things more publicly than most of my compatriots. Yes, Canada is really good at killing vehicles. Or maybe it's Canadians. Hard to tell, but perhaps our future of autonomous vehicles will separate those two causes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think you just need to adopt Alaskan travel standards: ATV's in the summer, snowmobiles when it's not, and single engine planes for grocery trips.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Well, to be fair, everyone should just have snow tires when it snows. They are legally mandated here.

Do the Quebecois make fun of us Americans who drive out there in the winter with bald tires and then crash? Is it a running joke, or so common it isn't even funny anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The Quebecois make fun of everybody for every possible reason.

Comedy like that is additive. American? funny. Crashed your car? funny. Crashed your car in winter without winter tires? funny. That's 3 x funny, so it's three times funnier than an American just standing there.

Everything becomes a running joke because the story of the silly yank crashing on his summer tires will be told endlessly at le bar.

xzzy posted:

I think you just need to adopt Alaskan travel standards: ATV's in the summer, snowmobiles when it's not, and single engine planes for grocery trips.
I aim for Saskatchewan travel standards: Winter tires all year round, road weight limits are for other people, and stay away from water in April.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 27, 2018