Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sapozhnik posted:

i wish veganism was actually even somewhat compatible with human physiology because the industrial farming of livestock is really hosed up if you stop to think about it :smith:

ah yes, the two possible options

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

restaurant capacity was way overbuilt in the nineties and when the reckoning hits it's gonna fuckin decimate the strip malls

lol that stuff has already been collapsing pretty hard (the restaurant places) but strip malls tend to get run at the bare minimum landlord expenses so there's usually some manner of local business to fill up space at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Colorado IS very fit but we're blimping up a little bit. Most ppl blame the good beer, weed and trump, in that order

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fishmech posted:

ah yes, the two possible options

lol that stuff has already been collapsing pretty hard (the restaurant places) but strip malls tend to get run at the bare minimum landlord expenses so there's usually some manner of local business to fill up space at them

vape shops and payday lenders, as far as the eye can see.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
so many loving vape shops

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my friend here in shenzhen found a place selling disposable vape pens for 3 rmb each, including packaging and delivery.

e: thats less than 50 cents

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
was friends with an Aussie foreign exchange student in hs and the first place her host family took her was fuckin outback steakhouse.

the midwest is bad.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

the midwest is bad.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

my friend here in shenzhen found a place selling disposable vape pens for 3 rmb each, including packaging and delivery.

e: thats less than 50 cents

how much does it cost to get your face repaired after the battery goes critical?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a few colorado stoners are burning their faces off because theyre putting weed oil in their vape pens and it gets to over 9000 degrees and since it's, you know, an oil, which is fuel, and not glycol candy juice, it catches fire, which vaporizes more oil, which burns

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

infernal machines posted:

how much does it cost to get your face repaired after the battery goes critical?

depends where u live

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
even Arizona's done w/ Uber's poo poo
https://twitter.com/BiancaBuono/status/978428032632279040

i had a friend who was hospitalized in China for multiple days back in the 2000's, possibly including surgery? anyway his total bill was ~$35

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

holy gently caress.

these are meant for a table of 20 right?

they are exaggerating. the real thing is ~4000Cal.

so you know... just a 160mile bike ride at 20mph.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

my headcannon is that the coils on the disposable 50 cent vape pens are just leftover leaded solder because it already comes in coils

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Munkeymon posted:

my headcannon is that the coils on the disposable 50 cent vape pens are just leftover leaded solder because it already comes in coils

the bottom fell out of the nichrome market because PTC heating elements are a billion times better and became really popular about 10 years ago. They had to dump all that wire somewhere and vapes happened to show up same time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

i had a friend who was hospitalized in China for multiple days back in the 2000's, possibly including surgery? anyway his total bill was ~$35

on an unrelated point, i have a grad student working on an iv bag thing that's meant to help address a problem in china where there is such a severe shortage of nurses that people's iv bags regularly run dry from inattention and they get air embolisms

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

the bottom fell out of the nichrome market because PTC heating elements are a billion times better and became really popular about 10 years ago. They had to dump all that wire somewhere and vapes happened to show up same time

this is a fun fact

i had no idea

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

even Arizona's done w/ Uber's poo poo
https://twitter.com/BiancaBuono/status/978428032632279040

state capitalism ftw

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thats pretty strongly worded too

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

interesting how ducey managed to get to the right line of thinking after the cops basically washed their hands of it as quickly as possible

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

President Beep posted:

vape shops and payday lenders, as far as the eye can see.

Daisy chain enough payday lenders together that none of them can collect.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

was friends with an Aussie foreign exchange student in hs and the first place her host family took her was fuckin outback steakhouse.

the midwest is bad.

Haute cuisine, probably a bit rich for her unsophisticated palate

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

that's a contributing factor but it's not the main one. america is fatter than most first-world nations, and places like japan with highly mechanized labor have far lower obesity rates than the USA

it's the easy availability of refined sugars and complex carbohydrates, mostly, and americans' inability to keep from gorging themselves on them

wroooooooooong

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i’d say our lovely labor law/decline in work-life balance/the grinding of capitalism/lack of social safety net is also largely to blame

you can track the rise in obesity along as wages stagnate since the 70s and it strongly follows poverty

it's this

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

i pretty much picture smoka as this guy whenever he posts

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

fishmech posted:

and if you eat a lot of them you still get fat. lol like drat chicken is one of the most popular "junk foods" in most of the western world

Nobody on earth is getting fat eating steamed broccoli and sauteed chicken.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

He's not wrong, ultimately it comes down to calories in versus calories out. "Junk food" just represents food that is high in calories, which was useful back in the day.

Go look at what manual laborers in the US ate in the mid-nineteenth century. poo poo like bread fried in pork fat.

Someone did the math on how many calories a baker in Victorian England ate and it was over 8000kcal a day and most of them were rail thin.

I know personally when I was a brick hoddie if I dipped below ~5000kcal I'd start losing weight and getting sick.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sapozhnik posted:

i wish veganism was actually even somewhat compatible with human physiology because the industrial farming of livestock is really hosed up if you stop to think about it :smith:

You make it sound like vegans have a life expectancy of 2 months or something.

And, there is the option of eating less meat. Try a vegan option at a restaurant every once in a while. Try making vegetarian food at home.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Veganism is dumb as hell, if you're going to do that just be a vegetarian.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
We don't really know how Veganism effects the body long term because there's vanishingly small numbers of people who stay vegan for a significant portion of their life and they're all mostly rich so any downsides are offset by class.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'm gonna guess "no negative effects if you take the necessary supplements for the things you're no longer getting in your diet, will literally kill you if you don't take them"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if you were raised with a healthy lifestyle it will take years of full-time veganism to deplete your reserves of those nutrients to the point of it becoming dangerous

just don’t try to have a baby

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Jabor posted:

i'm gonna guess "no negative effects if you take the necessary supplements for the things you're no longer getting in your diet, will literally kill you if you don't take them"

Even the guy who did the Twinkie diet experiment had a protein shake and a multivitamin every day, and he still had to quit after a month.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

TimWinter posted:

Even the guy who did the Twinkie diet experiment had a protein shake and a multivitamin every day, and he still had to quit after a month.

actually im still doing that and also please dont doxx me.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

take it to the diet thread. soyboy, bithc.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

JawnV6 posted:

my brother just started a thru-hike of the AT, i did the first week with him. biggest day was like 9 miles with 2k feet of elevation change, 30lb pack, and i was still just hitting ~2000 active calories according to my watch. completely blew past my body's systems for hydration and calories, by day 4 I was just stuffing my face just short of vomiting and just barely getting it right

can't imagine how long 54k cal would take a 4'20" person tbqh

I think you would end up making GBS threads out half of that thing before your body could absorb the cals

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

take it to the diet thread. soyboy, bithc.

stymie will just tell me to eat .25 twinkies or something.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Jonny 290 posted:

didn't know about PTC elements - they sound neat as heck

probably don't leech chromium into the vapor either so I'm guessing nobody uses them

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

TimWinter posted:

what are you even saying?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

diet stymie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ArmZ posted:

diet stymie

stymie zero