Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

goatface posted:

She doesn't get to clown people often enough.

That just makes it better when she does

Civil War #7, Taskmaster just shot Reed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The best part of that is her and Taskmaster are technically on the same side. But gently caress that nobody messes with the First Family.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Thank you kindly! The sick burn and that expression in the final panel kills me every time.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Skwirl posted:

So does that mean Taskmaster now knows how to flatten people.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Also does spidy just never stand normally, or is crouching on a counter top how he relaxes?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Zil posted:

Also does spidy just never stand normally, or is crouching on a counter top how he relaxes?

It used to be an editorial mandate that Spider-Man never just stood while in costume. I doubt it still is, but it made for some creative panel-work.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zil posted:

So does that mean Taskmaster now knows how to flatten people.

Didn't he try to do that with a literal cartoon character and wound up breaking his spine?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Keeshhound posted:

Didn't he try to do that with a literal cartoon character and wound up breaking his spine?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

He snapped his spine trying to mimic the way Slapstick contorts his body to dodge.

EDIT: annnnnd beaten.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Skwirl posted:

Clearly, TM was watching Anime to learn how to fight. Unfortunately, he was watching Yamcha.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

site posted:

ty i was feeling pretty bummed that no one got it

I'm afraid I need an explanation.

vv Thanks

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 27, 2018

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Discendo Vox posted:

vv Thanks

Say it out loud with an Austrian accent.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

Ultimate Reed comes in slices

Now that you mention it I did think that pizza tasted weird.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Now that you mention it I did think that pizza tasted weird.

And now I understand the Buzz Lightyear teamup

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dang, I thought maybe the Buzz comment got to the joke first somehow but couldn't remember the reference!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

It is frequently pointed out in the F4 comics over the years that Susan Richards is among the most powerful super humans in the world and yet some writers still write her as a weakling.

Honestly, Ben is the one with the weakest power set, no matter how you look at it. Which is depressing.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly, Ben is the one with the weakest power set, no matter how you look at it. Which is depressing.

What are you talking about? Being a rocky monster man isn't a power set, it's a condition.

Ben's power is that his spirit will not loving break.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Ben's power is that he will never, ever, ever, EVER loving lose hope and quit.

Him and like half the marvel superhero handbook.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

Him and like half the marvel superhero handbook.

Nah, it's legit one of his powers (this is from 601, when he first see's Johnny's flaming 4 in the sky after he was believed dead).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

In Hickman's FF series he had it so that Ben was immortal in his rocky form. He did end up aging but that's only because he had the whole thing where he became human for like one day a year so during that day he would age.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Elfface posted:

Also, was it Ultimate Reed or Mangaverse Reed who stretched his brain for extra smarts?

I have a vague recollection that the Reed Richards analog in Planetary didn't so much stretch his body, but enabled him to stretch the way he thought? I mean it sounds loving terrible the way I'm describing it but I really dug that it basically functioned as,"This guy isn't human anymore, he doesn't think like a human, he doesn't think like anything in the universe, he's weird and strange and bizarre"

Man I really dug Planetary.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dowling in Planetary was pretty badly described tbh. To my recollection the series gave us the following:

• He emits a foul odor
  • Him and Kim (the Sue-alike) had weird insect babies
  • John Steele, the Nick Fury/Bond guy, said that Dowling stretches and anyone around him *is* him including all of them. It's really vague.

I really dug Planetary too, but Dowling was easily the biggest blunder of the entire series. It felt like there was a lot more there before Ellis and Cassady stretched things out half a decade longer than planned. They lost the trail and the last few issues has a strange air of obligation to them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sounds like I remember that part of it better than it was. I remember really liking that the series ended with them rescuing a friend as opposed to the big battle with the ultimate bad guy, which happened in the penultimate issue from memory but I can also see how that would have pissed off a lot of people.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 27, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mind the walrus posted:

Dowling in Planetary was pretty badly described tbh. To my recollection the series gave us the following:

• He emits a foul odor
  • Him and Kim (the Sue-alike) had weird insect babies
  • John Steele, the Nick Fury/Bond guy, said that Dowling stretches and anyone around him *is* him including all of them. It's really vague.

I really dug Planetary too, but Dowling was easily the biggest blunder of the entire series. It felt like there was a lot more there before Ellis and Cassady stretched things out half a decade longer than planned. They lost the trail and the last few issues has a strange air of obligation to them.

Yeah, he was supposed to be a professor x style knows everything guy, but then they didn't do anything with him.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The Earth X Reed stretches his brain to match the shape of ling dead Charles Xavier's from a series of MRI printouts he has on file. He does it in order to use Cerebro. The ramifications that he probably gives himself extremely powerful telepathy and psychokinesis are not touched on. This Reed is very absent minded and it probably didn't even occur to him to try either.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Sounds like I remember that part of it better than it was. I remember really liking that the series ended with them rescuing a friend as opposed to the big battle with the ultimate bad guy, which happened in the penultimate issue from memory but I can also see how that would have pissed off a lot of people.

That just seems kind of derivative to me, considering that Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol run ends the exact same way. I wasn’t impressed by the last few issues of Planetary either.

Edit: Don’t mean to dump on Ellis too much here. I endorse the themes of Planetary and culture is a continuum we all share, etc. My av is from a Weisinger era Superman comic and I have it saved on my hard drive as Barbelith.jpg.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 27, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Planetary's run was cut short, when it launched Ellis claimed he had a 50 issue plan but as with any Ellis project he was clearly getting bored by the end of the first year so he cut massive chunks out of his plan.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

That really should've been the last page of Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Servoret posted:

That just seems kind of derivative to me, considering that Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol run ends the exact same way. I wasn’t impressed by the last few issues of Planetary either.

Jerusalem's Shameful Secret is that I have never read Doom Patrol :sweatdrop:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Jerusalem's Shameful Secret is that I have never read Doom Patrol :sweatdrop:

It's just a cheap knock-off of paw patrol.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Discendo Vox posted:

vv Thanks

Vox, they are lying to you about it being Ferris

That is how Arnie describes the T-1000 in Terminator 2. You know, the thing of liquid metal that can go all stretchy and poo poo, a lot like Reed Richards? It was a pretty clever reference.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wanderer posted:

Or the first page of Sue Storm Kills the Marvel Universe.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wanderer posted:

Shoot, that was just in the first issue.

It's not like Deadpool hasn't come back from having his head blown apart before.

Literally the very next panel.

EDIT: That's the top of Uatu's head where he starts expositioning for the reader.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Does he just have a second brain in his rear end or something?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Keeshhound posted:

Does he just have a second brain in his rear end or something?

Deadpool's healing factor is more cartoon-level, where he can cut off a finger and it just pops back in the next panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The real answer is that Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe is a Bad Story™