Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Jesus, I've been looking at one of those anyway... after work expedition!

Wait, crap, have stuff to do tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
The Harbor Freight bubble wheel balancer seems like it should be fine, but is there a secret horror I should be aware of before buying it?
Other than lead poisoning, of course.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Struck out at my two closest Home Depots on the Ryobi impact.

I was returning some stuff to Home Depot and took a look... one was on the shelf with a tag of $99. It was right near the checkout, so I had the attendant do a price check and yep, $80. I bought it, but I am looking for an 899 DeWalt, so I'll give this one to my dad. It'll work fine for lug nuts, which is all he uses one for.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Any thoughts on “automatic” wire strippers? I’ve got a ton of 24ga microphone cable to strip and I’d like to save some time. Not the soft rubber kind of mic cable, the stiff vinyl permanent-install kind.

This style looks like it might be ok for stripping back a 1/2” of outer insulation and foil shielding, but it looks like the way they grip wire wouldn’t work at all for removing 1/8” off of individual conductors for soldering:

Any thoughts on this style? It looks better suited for small wires, but I suspect I’d still need to use a regular gauged wire stripper to remove the outer jackets.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I use that type on top and they work well, only issue I've ever had is they're a little awkward if you only need to strip a little bit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the top style is a bit awkward for small stripping jobs. I've actually switched to the Klein Katapult. You do need to line up the wire in the right gauge slot, but the results are cleaner than any other stripper I've used.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Ideal Stripmaster. Love those suckers.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Achtane posted:

The Harbor Freight bubble wheel balancer seems like it should be fine, but is there a secret horror I should be aware of before buying it?
Other than lead poisoning, of course.

I would say just be aware of it's limitations, but within those it's usable. I have a very similar looking one (though not from Harbor Freight), and I find it quite usable. It can do static balancing just fine, the bubble level thing is usable down to about the 10g level (a 5g weight just isn't noticeable). Wheels that require some kind of "diagonal" weights it obviously cannot tell you, and as a result some wheels I've balanced with this have a slight vibration. Depends a bit on the wheel, sometimes I've been lucky and things have been just about perfect.

In all, using this thing (when done carefully on not too badly unbalanced wheels) seems about as precise/reliable as a sloppy guy at a tire shop, but someone who knows how to use a balancing machine can do better. I've mostly used this for lemons-grade race cars or random cheap cars I don't care too much about. For nice cars or those I drive enough to care a bit more about, I still get it balanced at a shop. Usage of home-balancing correlates well with cars that have steel rims or alloys that are already scuffed so I can also mount them myself without fear of loving up.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Excellent, thanks for the info. I drive a beater 1995 Corolla whose PO fitted with lovely mismatched rims, and went to Pick-n-Pull to grab a set of matching steel wheels. They just happened to come with nearly-new decent tires on em, so I thought I'd give balancing a shot.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ideal Stripmaster. Love those suckers.

seconding this

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

So there's an auction tomorrow...

More: https://imgur.com/a/VqcWD

There's about 40 more pics I didn't upload. Thosands and thousands of air tools, power tools, drivers, bits, calipers,just about any tool you'd ever need. I should probably bring cash and leave the wallet at home...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CloFan posted:

So there's an auction tomorrow...

More: https://imgur.com/a/VqcWD

There's about 40 more pics I didn't upload. Thosands and thousands of air tools, power tools, drivers, bits, calipers,just about any tool you'd ever need. I should probably bring cash and leave the wallet at home...

:drat:

All the right colors.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
that pic reminds me of how I organize my flat heads and phillips in the toolbox.

One goes one way and the other goes the other way in the tray.

Techtron torque wrench won't go past 132lbs (its the 150 wrench). Called tech support and they told me to pop the pin out at the articulating point near the head. Did that and there should be two bearings in there that are not aligned. After talking to the tech and trying to tell him there aren't any bearings up there, he just got pissed and told me he would sent me a new one and "leave the wrench at 25lbs" when storing. The dude was pretty rude and usually I'm pretty observant about this poo poo but I can't find the bearings he was talking about. I ended up taking the ENTIRE wrench apart and screwed up the calibration in the process in an effort to fix it. Still doesn't work but I have an idea it has something to do with an angled piece in the handle. I've got a scale on order to recalibrate it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Thanks to IOC, I'm now looking at some of the dates on first posts... I first posted in this thread more than 10 years ago.

In actual tool-related news, I installed a magnetic starter for my air compressor, finally. It's even got an overnight switch, and a 240VAC indicator light to let me know when the switch is turned on. If anyone is looking for one, the WEG IEC-rated starter from UPE group on eBay is a killer deal.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
What's a good bang-for-buck set of tamper-resistant Torx? Drivers > keys > bits, in order of preference. I don't want to buy HF cheese-grade with the holes drilled off-center, but I also don't need to spend $60 on Wiha or Wera.

I'm thinking Bondhus, because I use them at work and they seem decent, but I'm open to other options.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like my Capri triple square socket bit set and got their hex sets (haven't really used those, yet). They have a torx set for $30 with tamper proof bits, but also looks like a bunch of other bits you didn't say you needed.

Capri Tools 30004 S2 Star Torx and External Socket Bit Set, 35-Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXLN9YY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EQYTAb23J4VJX

Bondhus seems like a good brand, so probably no harm in choosing those.

Edit: Tekton also has a socket bit set for about $30. I've been using their Allen wrenches hard lately and really like them. I wouldn't worry buying anything else from them as a result.

TEKTON Star Bit Socket and E Socket Set for 1/4-Inch, 3/8-Inch and 1/2-Inch Drive Ratchets, 35-Sockets | 1354 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A50NBMO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vYYTAb3ZYQFFX

Uthor fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 25, 2018

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Uthor posted:

I like my Capri triple square socket bit set and got their hex sets (haven't really used those, yet). They have a torx set for $30 with tamper proof bits, but also looks like a bunch of other bits you didn't say you needed.

Capri Tools 30004 S2 Star Torx and External Socket Bit Set, 35-Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXLN9YY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EQYTAb23J4VJX

Bondhus seems like a good brand, so probably no harm in choosing those.

Edit: Tekton also has a socket bit set for about $30. I've been using their Allen wrenches hard lately and really like them. I wouldn't worry buying anything else from them as a result.

TEKTON Star Bit Socket and E Socket Set for 1/4-Inch, 3/8-Inch and 1/2-Inch Drive Ratchets, 35-Sockets | 1354 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A50NBMO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vYYTAb3ZYQFFX

Bits are kind of my least favorite format for these, because sometimes screws are recessed. I have seen really long bits, but at that point I'd rather just use L-keys. Those sets don't look half bad, though. Maybe if I didn't already have sets of hex, torx, and E-torx bit sockets.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Raluek posted:

What's a good bang-for-buck set of tamper-resistant Torx? Drivers > keys > bits, in order of preference. I don't want to buy HF cheese-grade with the holes drilled off-center, but I also don't need to spend $60 on Wiha or Wera.

I'm thinking Bondhus, because I use them at work and they seem decent, but I'm open to other options.
At my work I deal with a lot of T25 and T30 security bolts and we use the bits from McMaster Carr. We also have Wiha drivers for ones that are tough to get at with the drill, but the bits get the most (ab)use by far. The T25s especially get a ton of abuse from trying to hook up on hidden and odd-angled fasteners and never seem to fail on us.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can I just say a hearty gently caress YOU to security torx? It was only secure the first week, idiot engineers, now it just results in bits that are more fragile than they needed to be.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

bolind posted:

it just results in bits that are more fragile than they needed to be.
Truly the best kind of security.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The TS100 is some quality chinesium, you all.

0 to 600F in like 15 seconds on an m12. Faster on an 18v.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

eddiewalker posted:

I love mine. I 3D printed a case for it and a spare tip. I've got a tiny AC adapter that runs it at 19V.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

sharkytm posted:

I love mine. I 3D printed a case for it and a spare tip. I've got a tiny AC adapter that runs it at 19V.

It came with a laptop power supply on Amazon, but I bought this thing hoping to never use a butane iron again for quick fixes where AC isn’t available. So far it’s exceeding expectations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

eddiewalker posted:

It came with a laptop power supply on Amazon, but I bought this thing hoping to never use a butane iron again for quick fixes where AC isn’t available. So far it’s exceeding expectations.

Yeah, I've got several battery leads for it too. Makita, LiPo, and 2-pin SAE. Super useful. Before I bought it, I was considering the Milwaukee M12 iron, but the TS is way cheaper and more versatile.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

eddiewalker posted:

Finally something to replace my $5 RadioShack soldering iron(s).

Thanks for posting this, had no idea it existed. I only ever solder for 2 minutes at a time and usually have to bust out an extension cord for where I'm working.

dyne fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 27, 2018

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eddiewalker posted:

I must have it. Are they all the same? Amazon listings mention some sort of upgrades, but I don't understand the difference between that and, like, what's on ebay or aliexpress.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Amazon means you can return it if there's a problem.

They're all the same from what I can tell, unless they come with different tips. Get a chisel point if possible, it's far better than the standard conical. The only problem I have with mine is the lack of a stand could with how light the iron is.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Raluek posted:

I must have it. Are they all the same? Amazon listings mention some sort of upgrades, but I don't understand the difference between that and, like, what's on ebay or aliexpress.

As far as I can tell, the “upgraded” version just adds a metal heat shield just past where the tip enters the body, but that part doesn’t get hot anyways.

It’s worth paying a few bucks extra on Amazon to get it this week with a warranty instead of in two months with no guarantees.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
For you Toronto area AI goons there are a bunch of tools and whatnot up for auction here:

https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/8814?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=8814

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

wesleywillis posted:

For you Toronto area AI goons there are a bunch of tools and whatnot up for auction here:

https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/8814?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=8814

It's like somebody's entire personality in auction form

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
milwaukee's new m12 soldering iron is out now and is about the same price as that thing, has a swivel head but doesnt have adjustable temp setting

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Soldering-Iron-Tool-Only-2488-20/302022408

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BraveUlysses posted:

milwaukee's new m12 soldering iron is out now and is about the same price as that thing, has a swivel head but doesnt have adjustable temp setting

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Soldering-Iron-Tool-Only-2488-20/302022408

It’s also huge.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

It’s also huge.

How the gently caress do you solder anything holding it like that?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ionn posted:

How the gently caress do you solder anything holding it like that?

Seriously, I don't know how you would do anything but burn poo poo this way.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Looks useful for soldering fuel sender wires near the gas tank.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have a 25% off coupon from harbor freight.

eBay also has 15% off until Friday, if you've been waiting on buying something there.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 29, 2018

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What was the eBay code again? It disappeared from my app.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

always be closing posted:

What was the eBay code again? It disappeared from my app.

The 15% I saw was mostly a scam, it was only 15% with 100 specific sellers: https://www.ebay.com/rpp/7388?_trkparms=%26clkid%3D2817219857878664828

I don't know if that link will work, but the code is PSPRINGBF

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPAbUZABcu0
AvE tests some bolts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

"S&M, that's what I'm into. She sleeps and I masturbate"