Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hirayuki posted:

Man, this is the worst stereogram. No 3D effects or anything. :(

This is better:

Don't waste your time, people, it's not loss.jpg :mad:

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Guy's MisterBibs impression is on point.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hirayuki posted:

Man, this is the worst stereogram. No 3D effects or anything. :(

This is better:

Ahh, hello old friend. Also kudos to the person that called Guy a goober, that was the exact word I was thinking of.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pick posted:

And yet people refuse to donate to keep the forums running but that's ok.

Speak for yourself

seriously, the patreon is a good way of supporting, if everyone logged in right now gave $1/month it would be more than enough to keep these dead forums ticking

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Memento posted:

Speak for yourself

seriously, the patreon is a good way of supporting, if everyone logged in right now gave $1/month it would be more than enough to keep these dead forums ticking

Didn't even know this was a thing. Thanks user Memento! This is like a telethon but I don't have to listen to hours of obnoxious people after I donate.

Wait.

poo poo.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Bitch I will never read a loving book.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It used to just be musicians/bands that had to deal with the whole "just do it for the exposure!!" thing. What a world we live in now

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

People say Guy Goodbody isnt funny, but him getting all in a tizzy over something when he didn't even properly know what it was is hilarious.

How dare you insinuate that Internet Anime Poster isn't smarter than all those idiot scientists and philosophers from the 1950's. That was so long ago that they may as well have been banging on rocks with sticks. I get all my philosophical learnin' from this worn VHS copy of Gundam Gundam Gabbagoo or whatever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bike tory posted:

It used to just be musicians/bands that had to deal with the whole "just do it for the exposure!!" thing. What a world we live in now

It's gotten even worse for musicians. There are places that make the musicians pay to play there then still demand part of the take.

In entirely too many industries the only way to actually get a chance at a job is to get a degree then be an unpaid intern for a few years. poo poo is hosed up and bullshit.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Post Your Favorite (Or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > PYF Funny Pictures 2.0: You Should Be Paying ME For The Laughs I'm Generating

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

These are the best photographs of Uranus that exist.

are we just gonna let this one slide or what

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Use lube

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

This is from way back but I can't not. He looks so goddamn much like a Skyrim character.

Hello Skyrim character! And Garry's mod character, and Connor McGregor!

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

are we just gonna let this one slide or what

Come on man, let's see uranus.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

gonna have driving lessons with this school, looks excellent

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

orange sky posted:

gonna have driving lessons with this school, looks excellent

No ring.

Not excellent. Pedestrian, at best.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sometimes I go out and look for programming spec work. It isn't because I want spec work but because I want to laugh at how bug gently caress insane some people are. Some of the best stories came before I landed my current job and would have taken spec work.

Highlights include somebody that totally had an idea that would make a billion dollars but he just needed somebody to do literally all the work. He wouldn't even tell you what the idea was until you signed an NDA and accepted the job. He had a budget of $500 and didn't want to spend all of it. He didn't offer equity or profit sharing either; less than $500 to do something that would make a billion.

Another guy had an idea for a game that he wanted programmed. To his credit he just wanted a prototype done so he could get a Kickstarter going. The pay? Half the Kickstarter and a requirement that you work on the rest of the game if it got funded for no pay. It's like no dude, I don't work for free or even potentially for free. You want the prototype made? Open your wallet and wave some cash at me. He got pretty irate when I pointed out that the Kickstarter might fail then I'd have made a prototype for free. Then I pointed out that what he wanted was not something I could just cobble together in a few hours.

Another guy asked me how many hours I'd be willing to code every month for $100. He got really mad when I said that the best I'd do was four hours for that amount and that was being pretty generous.

Yet another guy was looking for somebody to program him something with all the functionality of Quickbooks for less than the price of a copy of Quickbooks because how hard is programming, anyway?

Trust me that isn't limited to just artists and such. There are just a poo poo load of people out there that absolutely refuse to respect the time of others.

Myself and my colleagues got approached recently to do a bit of a custom conversion. It was for a financial company, to port an old VB6 application to .NET. Ok not fun work but doable. Oh but there's 1.4 million lines of VB in there and they wanted us to assume all financial risks for bugs.

For non-programmers this is absolutely insane, it's months of work just to port it. testing could have taken 6 months alone. Assuming financial risk for bugs for a finance company you might as well cut out the middle man and declare yourself bankrupt straight away.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Someone should make a PYF "You'll be paid in EXPOSURE!" Story thread. I know I'd read it.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
My wife is a private family lawyer, her clients seem baffled by the idea that everytime they call or email her she charges them. One guy told her that she shouldn't charge people for just advice (legal advice, it's literally her job). Another suggested that she not charge anything because she's just starting out and needs the "EXPOSURE". I feel like this is pretty much every industry now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Think of the exposure you'll get"

*makes you sign an NDA, end product has no visible credits*

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Duey posted:

My wife is a private family lawyer, her clients seem baffled by the idea that everytime they call or email her she charges them. One guy told her that she shouldn't charge people for just advice (legal advice, it's literally her job). Another suggested that she not charge anything because she's just starting out and needs the "EXPOSURE". I feel like this is pretty much every industry now.

:( this is true and sad. Tell your wife if they say that exposure thing again to reply succinctly with "EXPOSE THIS BITCH" with an appropriate accompanying meme or pic

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Choco1980 posted:

Someone should make a PYF "You'll be paid in EXPOSURE!" Story thread. I know I'd read it.

I guess if people want to share stories they could also post them in the schadenfreude thread :v:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

The only way this could end is with someone copying down all these stories and publishing them somewhere with no credit to the OPs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
Allow me to share my story of exposing myself...er, wait, that's not what I meant.

I work for a small business and we get approached a lot with offers of "hey if you just give us all this product for free then we'll list you as a sponsor!"

So how does that help me? Now we're advertising to a bunch of other deadbeats that we'll work for free? I don't think so.

Welcome to the 21st century gig economy race-to-the-bottom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Baby goats and capybaras, truly a dangerous combination.

And yeah, every industry is desperately pushing every means of making people work for as little as possible, preferably nothing, as hard as they can get away with it, which is increasingly more and more because the watchdogs were defunded.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

So I'm laying out a design (and getting paid for it, wow) and I needed to see how high two rows of text are so I just mashed my keyboard and apparently came up with a new expression for midlife crisis.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's a pretty good logo for the dad sads too. :smith:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

Not excellent. Pedestrian, at best.
It'll only disappoint you

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hell, how ice cream is made seems like magic to me. How is it not hard like an ice cube? Makes no damned sense.

Here's how to make Ice Cream. First, take some cream, you know, good 'ol cream. Then freeze it. Then, throw that product out and freeze some vegetable oil instead because it's cheaper. Doesn't that sound delicious!

You touched my computer's CD drive one time 7 years ago and now the power supply has blown up! You owe me a new computer!!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

burexas.irom posted:

So I'm laying out a design (and getting paid for it, wow) and I needed to see how high two rows of text are so I just mashed my keyboard and apparently came up with a new expression for midlife crisis.

Do I have your permission to use this as a birthday card for my buddy next week?

It'll get you exposure.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Beeswax posted:

It'll only disappoint you

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
To interrupt this much more interesting EXPOSURE derail to revisit the much more dull haggling derail, it's really just a case of where. In a supermarket if you try and haggle, first of all the cashier isn't allowed to give you a discount except in specific circumstances. You'd be stopping the entire line so they can call the manager who is probably just going to show up to give you a perfectly reasonable answer as to why they can't give you a discount for this item at this time. In the end you wasted your time, the staff's time and everyone else's time unlucky enough to be in line behind you.

Meanwhile something like a jewelry store, the markups on every single item are absolutely absurd and haggling is basically expected. If you ask the shopkeep to round down for you and the total discount isn't more than 10%, most will immediately accept and frankly consider you a weak haggler. Same is true for most places that sell big ticket items like furniture or appliances, or if your total is significantly high. The one notable exception is restaurants where haggling is traditionally seen as rude and sad, and depending where you eat you're even expected to pay extra in tips.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

And yeah, every industry is desperately pushing every means of making people work for as little as possible, preferably nothing, as hard as they can get away with it, which is increasingly more and more because the watchdogs were defunded.

The current Australian government have been working their collective butts off trying to pass a gigantic corporate tax break bill and they've practically been screaming "TRICKLE DOWN ECONOMICS!" constantly and it's been hilarious watching the entire country go "Ah ha ha no we're not going to swallow that bullshit any more" and the papers publishing articles saying "Hey if most of our large corporations are paying zero tax already how will more tax breaks incite them to hire more people???"

The government just withdrew the bill because they couldn't get the numbers to push it through.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Mar 27, 2018

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do I have your permission to use this as a birthday card for my buddy next week?

It'll get you exposure.

Yes, but only under the condition that it is credited, and mind you not to me, but to Something Awful Dot Com forums.Then talk to your flesh and blood friends about us.

gooble gabble

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

This guy looks pretty old, surely you yourself can give a hotter take than that?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My recent story of people not getting paid for their work that also relates to funny pictures, without itself being a funny picture, is having to repeatedly explain to my boss that just because you found an image in a Google search doesn't mean we can use it for free in our advertising gently caress I'm trying to not get your rear end sued here in addition to not being a loving rear end in a top hat

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ak Gara posted:

You touched my computer's CD drive one time 7 years ago and now the power supply has blown up! You owe me a new computer!!

My older relatives exposed themselves to Windows Advanced Security Center. Luckily they had 3 other security suites installed already so fortunately nothing bad came out of that. Also they were pretty efficient in figuring out what caused the exposure so I don't expect there will be more of the same coming from that direction. They really dodged a bullet there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

oooo Magic Eye!

I found a website and made this, just for you guys: