Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I'm curious if those questions are gimmies for people that are interested in that stuff like "This element is K on the periodic table" is for people who took chemistry in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PT6A posted:

God loving damnit there's just so much I don't know about poetry and theatre :smith:

:same:

Also I'm still kicking myself over Colin Powel and Theresa May. I could visualize them and drew blanks until about 4 questions later.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

PT6A posted:

I'm curious if those questions are gimmies for people that are interested in that stuff like "This element is K on the periodic table" is for people who took chemistry in high school.

Given how easy the average Jeopardy sports question is for any moderately informed fan, I'm sure of it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

PT6A posted:

Want to post a couple examples? I didn't take last night's

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Anne Whateley posted:

Want to post a couple examples? I didn't take last night's

I can't even remember them. The answers are on the previous page, some of them I didn't even recognize much less know.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PT6A posted:

God loving damnit there's just so much I don't know about poetry and theatre :smith:

I felt the same way prior to my audition and later appearance. Whenever a non pop trivia humanities question showed up, I felt a bit of panic before seeing if I had picked up that random bit of information through cultural osmosis, NYT Arts section glance through, random Wikipedia trawling, or high school mentions, in the short amount of time I had to answer the question, since I have better than decent random fact recall.

Didn't help much if I had never encountered that bit of information before, like happened to me a couple times during the audition test, I missed a couple of literature questions there. Just glad I never got that bad of a category on my own show...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm sure I'm stepping into a huge trap here but, I didn't get today's "stupid answers" category.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

McSpanky posted:

I'm sure I'm stepping into a huge trap here but, I didn't get today's "stupid answers" category.

Each response was composed of words contained in the clue.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yeah that one's a Jeopardy classic.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I took tonight's test. Imo it got harder as it went on; there were a couple of easier questions at the end too, but the first 20 or 30 all seemed mostly basic.

Do we think they actually look at partial answers or do they just claim to? I forgot how much my laptop sucks to type on. I think that will determine whether I make it or not since I had a handful of "baldw" or "Lexington and conco"s.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I just took it on my cell phone and I'm currently stuck at a loving Benihanas in Phoenix! It was generally pretty easy, hopefully they check misspellings. I had no idea about that last question, though.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
That was definitely the best I've done on a test so far. This is the first time they've had auditions in my city too. I doubt that will affect my chances, but I still see it as a good sign.

I did feel kind of dumb that I never put together Uranus and Uranium until just now.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah I hosed up the last one because I originally thought Langston Hughes, erased it, ran out of time typing Baldwin

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

McSpanky posted:

It took me like three times of seeing that category before I started getting it, don't worry.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
fun fact: Paris was Mike Teevee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Themmen

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

quote:

On October 28–30, 2015, his wife appeared on Jeopardy! as a contestant, returning twice as a champion before being defeated on her third appearance. Themmen himself was a Jeopardy! contestant on March 13, 2018, finishing in second place.
I wonder how many double Jeopardy married couples that are. Especially because :drat: that can't be easy

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Anne Whateley posted:

I wonder how many double Jeopardy married couples that are. Especially because :drat: that can't be easy

The two I know of are Kristin and Justin Sausville (both were 6 game champs and in ToCs; according to J-Archive, they're the married couple with the most winnings on Jeopardy; she was in that one player Final Jeopardy game like 3 seasons back) and Ben Ingram (the ToC winner 3 tournaments back) and his girlfriend Liz Hutchins (who was a one and done).

Too bad his contestant interview wasn't about his previous work, maybe if he had come back for another game, Alex would've asked him about it. Also, wow, had no idea he was married to Nikki Grillos, she's pretty active in Jeopardy FB, and I probably missed a mention of his soon to be appearance if she posted about it.
EDIT: According to both of them, WWCF was the top note on his contestant info card, Alex just chose not to ask him about it.

Also, holy crap Sunday was the 4 year anniversary of my episode taping. Man, time flies.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 15, 2018

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Mike Teevee: Cool
Ayn Rand: Not Cool

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Super easy Final.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Zero One posted:

Super easy Final.

Yup. Surprised someone missed it.

Helluva coincidence on tonight's episode as it had a clue about Steven Hawking. Quirk of the timing I guess, since it taped at least a couple of months ago if not last year. There have been more than a few Jeopardy clues that air right after their subject has died but were still alive at the time of taping. A clue about Tom Petty last year comes to mind, as does one about Maya Angelou the week she passed. And on Pi Day too...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Trebek seemed so sad that no one took advantage of the "Perfect Responses for Jeopardy" category.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zero One posted:

Super easy Final.

They're gonna have to try real hard to get easier than Jurassic Park anytime soon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

McSpanky posted:

They're gonna have to try real hard to get easier than Jurassic Park anytime soon.

I dunno, it seems like they tried it last night.

"Can you add 2 and 1 and write down the number?"

The only thing you had to know was that each state has at least one representative, and exactly two senators. That was it, and I can't imagine being an adult in the US without knowing that. You didn't even have to know that a state receives one elector for each representative and each senator -- the answer supplied that.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm not even American and it seemed so easy I started doubting myself

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm not even American and it seemed so easy I started doubting myself

Yeah, I'm not American either but being in Canada it's pretty normal to follow American politics to some degree (I imagine doubly so for people who are likely to watch Jeopardy).

Today's was... interesting. I guessed correctly, but I think with all of those styles of questions, it's something of a crapshoot. The 3 J countries FJ from a while back was similarly poo poo, in my opinion.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got the 3 countries very quickly, which surprised me as I'm not normally strong on geography. Although it was more or less "name 3 countries that start with J".

PT6A posted:

Trebek seemed so sad that no one took advantage of the "Perfect Responses for Jeopardy" category.

I'm glad he said that because I had been wondering about it ever since a clue several years ago about Cain's reply when God asked him where Abel was.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
One dollar in the other direction, bro

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I just saw yesterday’s episode and lol wow that ending

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/julysixteenth/status/976190922382893057?s=19

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
"What is yes?"
"No."

"What is no?"
"Yes."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You know what really grinds my gears? People who say "What is <name>?" instead of "Who is <name>?"

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Don't even get me started on "Where is <place>?"

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I would intentionally question every answer with "Why is..."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
"How about that Colosseum?"
"How about that Corinthians?"
"How about that Joe Montana?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

What are frogs?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Timby posted:

What are frogs?
We just don't know.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Vulture Culture posted:

"How about that Colosseum?"
"How about that Corinthians?"
"How about that Joe Montana?"

<Seinfeld voice>
"What's the deal with Lake Baikal?"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The rhyming category was torture.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

I would intentionally question every answer with "Why is..."

"Is the answer X?" And every single I time, if I get it right give a little "woohoo" or an "aw shucks" if I get it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That FJ wager was bad and she should feel bad!