Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Monkey Fracas posted:

Dammit I swear I've only seen like two of those secret glowing cracked mountains and I missed the first one because I wasn't paying attention. I'm not gonna keep playing just to get all the pilots but it would be nice to have another weird thing to screw around with. Again I hope they patch/release DLC for the game since it's fun but is now feeling samey after I've sunk a ton of hours into it.

Find a stage with mountains.

Hit tilde.

Type secret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highline
Mar 28, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

Find a stage with mountains.

Hit tilde.

Type secret

You can do this repeatedly too. Pretty handy for doing achievement runs or just breaking the game in general.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Infinite cores on hard helps if you're a sucker for cheevos. Just make a fuckton of pods and soak up those pilots and then sell them off like slaves.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

jokes posted:

Infinite cores on hard helps if you're a sucker for cheevos. Just make a fuckton of pods and soak up those pilots and then sell them off like slaves.

I mean if you're after infinite cores you can just write 'rich' and it gives you that automatically

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It boggles my mind that you are still eligible for cheevos after using console commands, but if it helps unlock stuff I guess :shrug:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks! Got all the pilots.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

BTW, I'm sure it has been answered before, but why are only 4.6 billion people saved after every game?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Veks got some

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Samovar posted:

BTW, I'm sure it has been answered before, but why are only 4.6 billion people saved after every game?

Presumably the Vek are attacking lots of places other than just the islands.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Also global warming probably hosed some poo poo up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got my second win

Blitzkrieg, same as first win :v: 3 island instead of 2 this time. was going for achievements and then missed out on the 30 minute 2 island one on normal. I didn’t realize until later I should switch to easy for that one.

I decided to try island 3 and mess around with the squad and then was in a very good position to just go to the final mission after that.

I have Bethany as a survivor of 2 final missions - for the achievement does she need to fully beat a third one or just reach it?

I now have 8 coins so I can unlock steel judoka, get achievements with them and unlock one more squad. Should I basically be going in order of what’s on the squad screen

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Shortest Path posted:

It boggles my mind that you are still eligible for cheevos after using console commands, but if it helps unlock stuff I guess :shrug:

The devs seem like really chill guys so it doesn't surprise me. They want to encourage people too have fun by earning the achievements but not to the point of frustration, since unlocks are tied to them.

Though the secret squad is only going to cause more frustration for most people.

Samovar posted:

That's the total population of earth.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have Bethany as a survivor of 2 final missions - for the achievement does she need to fully beat a third one or just reach it?

I now have 8 coins so I can unlock steel judoka, get achievements with them and unlock one more squad. Should I basically be going in order of what’s on the squad screen

She only needs to reach the final mission. As for squads, just unlock whoever sounds the most fun too you.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

The Shortest Path posted:

It's pretty great. The devs understand that some people may just want to see the game's content without grinding for hours to unlock it, so they left the option there without forcing it on people who enjoy grinding unlocks. I adore them for it.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

That's the total population of earth.

I thought the question was specifically why the number is so small, since in present day 2018 the world population is already 7.6 billion. Between the Vek war and most of the planet being underwater, that number makes sense to me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh, then yeah the reason the population is so small is because most of the planet drowned and the survivors are beating eaten by space bugs.

Still a better outcome than living under the Trump admin.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Is it ever established that the Vek come from space? I thought they came out of the ground like the locusts in Gears of War

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How do I get more pilots?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ravenfood posted:

How do I get more pilots?

Find them in time pods or from island rewards.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Sjs00 posted:

Is it ever established that the Vek come from space? I thought they came out of the ground like the locusts in Gears of War

Avellone dropped the hint that they are not aliens, and they are not attacking buildings to eat people.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Sjs00 posted:

I always imagined them coming from some interdimensional portal, ala Pacific Rim.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fangz posted:

Avellone dropped the hint that they are not aliens, and they are not attacking buildings to eat people.

Expansion: Out of the Breach, where you play as the bugs trying to drive back invasive colonizers.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
After doing a few Hard runs with a few different squads (Hazardous Mechs are still my fave I think) I did a successful Normal, no cheat-ey pilot undermining the "spirit" of the Steel Judoka run and I think I'm done for a while. I didn't wind up getting every achievement; I'm short of the secret squad. Think I'll let this game cool off for a while but I feel like I'll definitely be back to it soon whether they update it in some fashion or not.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

got super lucky with my blitzkrieg hard run: started with mantis in hook mech, got bethany jones for lightning mech, and silica for rock launcher mech.

feels good

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Steel judoka is a little tricky, I'd go for frozen dudes or something else first. But all of them are pretty good anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bruceski posted:

Expansion: Out of the Breach, where you play as the bugs trying to drive back invasive colonizers.

Actually a pretty rad expansion would be something like this where you wind up going to the Vek Dimension or whatever which gives you a whole new set of islands to fight through on your way to destroy the Vek Prime or whatever.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I gotta ask, where is the writing in this game? I see avellone mentioned a lot, yet all I get is some generic commentary from the island CEOs and maybe some flavour from the pilots?

darkest dungeon this game is not

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dr. Stab posted:

Find them in time pods or from island rewards.

Or on occasion for sale at the end of island reputation shop.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tias posted:

Or on occasion for sale at the end of island reputation shop.

I have never seen a pilot for sale.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Yeah. You can get guaranteed pilots for finishing islands with all objectives though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

double nine posted:

I gotta ask, where is the writing in this game? I see avellone mentioned a lot, yet all I get is some generic commentary from the island CEOs and maybe some flavour from the pilots?

darkest dungeon this game is not

All the pilots have personal barks, the CEOs have mission lines and opening and closing lines, there's some dialog from citizens.

Not tons of stuff, but that's writing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Seems like they wrote a background for each pilot and the game's setting to keep things cohesive but purposefully limited it to the barks and these little lines of dialogue. There's an interview with one of the devs floating around somewhere that seems to indicate this, anyway.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fangz posted:

I have never seen a pilot for sale.

I'm pretty sure I have, but now I'm worried I may have misremembered. I'll be sure to screendump if I'll see it again

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pilots can only come from pod drops and the reward for completing all objectives on an island, iirc.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So yeah, the step up from Easy to normal is no joke, goddamn. I'm bad at this game.

Any tips for the Rusty Hulks?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 28, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Any tips for the Rusty Hulks?

The +1 damage on the storm generator is a key upgrade.
The Rocket Mech shits out a smoke cloud behind it when it shoots - try to make use of it. If you can't get the mech in the middle of the action at least try to use the smoke to defend buildings.
Jet Mech's power ramps up dramatically with its upgrades. Doing 2 damage to 2 enemies, another 2 with the storm generator, and cancelling their attacks is godly, so I'd say make that a priority once you've got your storm generator upgrade.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I like the damage upgrade on the rocket launcher, to be honest. It's pretty much the cheapest source of 3 dam in the game, and it's very flexible to use.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

The +1 damage on the storm generator is a key upgrade.
The Rocket Mech shits out a smoke cloud behind it when it shoots - try to make use of it. If you can't get the mech in the middle of the action at least try to use the smoke to defend buildings.
Jet Mech's power ramps up dramatically with its upgrades. Doing 2 damage to 2 enemies, another 2 with the storm generator, and cancelling their attacks is godly, so I'd say make that a priority once you've got your storm generator upgrade.
Yeah, I saw where to go with them, its just that getting there was tricky. Finally got past the opening island and its going better, though I keep making mistakes that I didn't as much with the RiftWalkers.

E; And Blitzkrieg gets a lot easier as soon as you get another Prime weapon so you don't have to worry about friendly fire as much. I got a shield that does 2 damage, turns the target around, and shields me on use. That and the Turbine things saved that run.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Rusting Hulks might legit be one of the most powerful squads in the game, I'm not really an expert but with the pilot who can ignore smoke and webs they have a huge amount of denial, damage, and flexible approach options at their disposal.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Bruceski posted:

This is actually a sweet board game called Spirit Island. Except where you say "bugs" they say "indigenous people".

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

I got a shield that does 2 damage, turns the target around, and shields me on use.

Frozen Titans get this weapon by default.