Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Can we talk about how completely hosed up the seeding is in this bracket? Frozen Vs. Moana in round 1, are you kidding me? And on Pixar's side you have all three Toy Story movies, but only Cars 3? This bracket is so outrageously one-sided in Disney's favor, it's ridiculous. And yet Monster's Inc. comes out on top? Against Mulan, maybe, but Mulan shouldn't have made it to the semi's even if the seeding wasn't hosed. It's a good movie, but it's no Zootopia. Oh my god the longer I look the more things I see to be mad about Herculese beats Aladdin?? Get the gently caress out.

You have Cars as well. Cars 2 couldn't even play into the tournament and I'm okay with that.

But yeah, the seeding is hosed and ultimately it should be something like Moana vs. Inside Out / Up, and Lin-Manuel Miranda graciously allows the Pixar film to win and we all learn a little bit about friendship along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Mulan has meme song therefor it wins.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hercules is good but beating Lion King and The Little Mermaid back to back is bullshit.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Hercules is good but beating Lion King and The Little Mermaid back to back is bullshit.

I always felt that Hercules' pacing was all over the place.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Croccers posted:

Mulan has meme song therefor it wins.

It's got the best soundtrack of them all.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hercules is garbo

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Hi where the gently caress is Beauty and the Beast?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Cars 3 beats CoCo? In what universe?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Depressio111117 posted:

Hi where the gently caress is Beauty and the Beast?

Wrecked in round 1 by Nightmare Before Christmas apparently

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Where the hell is Bolt, the best Disney movie ever made?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My favorite movie when I was 11 is objectively better than your favorite movie when you were 11.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't seen them all but Hercules and Pocahantas are genuinely bad movies.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Where the hell is Bolt, the best Disney movie ever made?

Wow I never even heard of this movie

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
What kind of fucktard doesn't use classic era Disney in this kind of comparison? Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Jungle Book, The Rescuers, and motherfucking Fantasia should have been on that list.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Decrepus posted:

In Black Panther T'Chala and Killmonger never once tried to use an enemy's punch to brush against their gums, teeth, or face intentionally.

Is this some meme or in-joke, or are you just gibberingly insane?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Armacham posted:

Wow I never even heard of this movie

It's got a cute puppy and a cute cat and a cute hamster in it, what more could you ask for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MrJacobs posted:

What kind of fucktard doesn't use classic era Disney in this kind of comparison? Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Jungle Book, The Rescuers, and motherfucking Fantasia should have been on that list.

The kids voted for Tangled over Lion King, how many of them do you think have ever seen Sleeping Beauty or Fantasia?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Is this some meme or in-joke, or are you just gibberingly insane?

It’s a joke about cat behavior

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I saw Annihilation last night and I really, really enjoyed it. I think my one problem with the movie was that none of the characters ever use a flashlight, ever. Natalie Portman uses night goggles that one time when the bear first shows up, but that's the only use of low-light equipment. They went in there to study poo poo! Don't they want to actually see what it is they're looking at?

I dunno, maybe I just have terrible night vision.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I can't remember the exact details, but in the book, they say something about the Area X loving with modern technology, which is why they gotta use outdated poo poo when they go in, like notebooks, but if she used a night vision goggle then I don't know.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Sexual Shiite posted:

It’s a joke about cat behavior

insane it is then

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Samuringa posted:

I can't remember the exact details, but in the book, they say something about the Area X loving with modern technology, which is why they gotta use outdated poo poo when they go in, like notebooks, but if she used a night vision goggle then I don't know.

Their video cameras work fine

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
It seems weird that a museum has an exhibit about a guy whos still alive and still doing the kinds of things that made him famous in the first place. And the museum is in the same city where this guy lives and works.

Also, unrelated: according to Steve's list at the beginning, he still hasn't gotten around to watching Star Wars yet. But later on, he implies that he has seen Wargames. This doesn't irritate me, I'm actually kind of impressed with Cap's priorities. Just not sure why he would do this.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Homeybeef posted:

It seems weird that a museum has an exhibit about a guy whos still alive and still doing the kinds of things that made him famous in the first place. And the museum is in the same city where this guy lives and works.

Also, unrelated: according to Steve's list at the beginning, he still hasn't gotten around to watching Star Wars yet. But later on, he implies that he has seen Wargames. This doesn't irritate me, I'm actually kind of impressed with Cap's priorities. Just not sure why he would do this.

I would’ve thought that the museum was made before they found where the plane crashed and defrosted him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, it’s for his WW2 stuff. They just didn’t take it down afterwards.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Homeybeef posted:

Counterpoint:

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Kramdar posted:

I would’ve thought that the museum was made before they found where the plane crashed and defrosted him.

I kind of figured this was the case. And that the museum probably saw a brief attendance boost after Cap was found. But in the time since, he helped stop am alien invasion in New York and several other super heros now exist. Is there still that much interest in his WW2 adventures?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Homeybeef posted:

I kind of figured this was the case. And that the museum probably saw a brief attendance boost after Cap was found. But in the time since, he helped stop am alien invasion in New York and several other super heros now exist. Is there still that much interest in his WW2 adventures?

I mean, I think it was just a section of the Smithsonian. So yeah they would still have a section devoted to him in their World War 2 section.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Homeybeef posted:

If you're gonna devote a section of museum to a guy, having a section when he was just punching Nazis in the face instead of aliens seems believable enough.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Homeybeef posted:

Makes sense to me that some old dude from the 1940's would gravitate to a movie that sounds like something he can relate to before some "pew pew fantasty" type movie.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Their video cameras work fine

The video cameras were a conceit of the movie. They're stand-ins for the journals in the book. They changed quite a lot in the adaption to make it more cinematic.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Afriscipio posted:

The video cameras were a conceit of the movie. They're stand-ins for the journals in the book. They changed quite a lot in the adaption to make it more cinematic.

They explicitly said that electronics work fine though. All navigation and communication equipment just couldn't get a signal cause the shimmer scrambled it. So yeah, not using flashlights or, you know, the loving night vision goggles for more than 3 seconds doesn't really make sense.

Im always a bit annoyed about the whole "no one is coming back, we have no idea whats going on in there!" thing stories like this always use. loving send someone in to check! No not on a multi week expedition, send someone in, have him take some pictures and samples, get right out again. In and out within an hour. Get some rough data and keep doing deeper expeditions as time goes on. Put a loving basecamp directly behind the barrier if you wan't to study long term effects. You know, in sight of the outside world and poo poo. Oh you can't keep radio contact? How about using a loving cable then? Won't work either? How about transmitting via light pulses or a computer controlled semaphore system.
So many ways to get around the whole "the barrier blocks poo poo" problem.
Yes i understand that it's a better story this way but its just an annoying trope.

Good movie though, pretty as gently caress.

Shai-Hulud has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Mar 28, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Handheld flashlights with any amount of reliability, durability or battery life aren't allowed in fiction.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inescapable Duck posted:

Handheld flashlights with any amount of reliability, durability or battery life aren't allowed in fiction.

The X-Files was always the exception to this. Those things they had looked like they were lugging around a car battery.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Memento posted:

The X-Files was always the exception to this. Those things they had looked like they were lugging around a car battery.

Maglites, or something similar? Flashlights were practically the show's signature, iirc.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shai-Hulud posted:

They explicitly said that electronics work fine though. All navigation and communication equipment just couldn't get a signal cause the shimmer scrambled it. So yeah, not using flashlights or, you know, the loving night vision goggles for more than 3 seconds doesn't really make sense.

Im always a bit annoyed about the whole "no one is coming back, we have no idea whats going on in there!" thing stories like this always use. loving send someone in to check! No not on a multi week expedition, send someone in, have him take some pictures and samples, get right out again. In and out within an hour. Get some rough data and keep doing deeper expeditions as time goes on. Put a loving basecamp directly behind the barrier if you wan't to study long term effects. You know, in sight of the outside world and poo poo. Oh you can't keep radio contact? How about using a loving cable then? Won't work either? How about transmitting via light pulses or a computer controlled semaphore system.
So many ways to get around the whole "the barrier blocks poo poo" problem.
Yes i understand that it's a better story this way but its just an annoying trope.

Good movie though, pretty as gently caress.

Except immediately after entering, they wake up in their camp having already spent 3-4 days inside without memory of even setting up the camp.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah. And if your mission is to just get samples and return you just get out at that point.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inescapable Duck posted:

Maglites, or something similar? Flashlights were practically the show's signature, iirc.

I remember the maglites, but I was actually talking about these things.

24 lbs, :drat:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Memento posted:

I remember the maglites, but I was actually talking about these things.

24 lbs, :drat:

Worst case scenario, they could just club the monster of the week to death with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Well yeah. And if your mission is to just get samples and return you just get out at that point.

Getting in the Area X is already almost an arcane ritual, and getting out is almost impossible, and that specific mission was also all but faded to failure from the start as the Psychologist had no intention of returning or letting anyone else do. I don't know if the movie glossed on this, but one thing about the Southern Reach is that almost everyone in charge of it is already nuts in some kind of way, some by the influence of the Area X, some just because they have their own obsessions. The second book is focused on how the whole place is a bureaucratic nightmare with secrets over secrets and no one is really sure of what anything does or is supposed to do, and the people from outside the Southern Reach also aren't the most reliable.