Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

imo like 99% of the time you are perfectly fine just having autolabor turned on and setting tasks

Aaah, that a dfhack thing? I think I remember seeing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Is there a therapist for the latest version yet? I normally just wait for the LNP.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

So I've come back to the game after a few years off (everyting is different etc.). I've started using Dwarf Therapist to assign jobs more better, and I have two questions!

1) Some dwarves have a bigender (male + female combo) symbol beside their name. What's up with this? Are these bigender dwarves? Is this a thing or are they actually just :females:. If this is a thing it is extremely cool.

2) What is autolabor? I see lots of people talking about it in here and I do not know what it is. I manually assign labors constantly and pause for 30+ minutes at a time while I fine tune labors, and if there is a reliable tool for doing this automatically I think I would like to use it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JonBolds posted:

So I've come back to the game after a few years off (everyting is different etc.). I've started using Dwarf Therapist to assign jobs more better, and I have two questions!

1) Some dwarves have a bigender (male + female combo) symbol beside their name. What's up with this? Are these bigender dwarves? Is this a thing or are they actually just :females:. If this is a thing it is extremely cool.

2) What is autolabor? I see lots of people talking about it in here and I do not know what it is. I manually assign labors constantly and pause for 30+ minutes at a time while I fine tune labors, and if there is a reliable tool for doing this automatically I think I would like to use it.

Autolabor is a script of DFhack where it automatically assigns jobs to your guys based on what's required, you can use it instead of DT

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah if you don't actually enjoy micromanaging labors then you will love autolabor, especially once you figure out how to tweak it to your taste.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

JonBolds posted:

That should be their sexuality, dwarfs can be straight, gay, bisexual, and even asexual versions of all of those. Same with your animals, which is why breeding pairs sometimes don't breed. I've had married gay couples immigrate (I've never had a wedding in one of my forts, maybe I should try out the honeymoon suites room designs I see on the wikis

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

poo poo, someone organized another gay pride at the well.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

I will continue to not use autolabor because I enjoy setting labors too much.

Tars Tarkas posted:

That should be their sexuality, dwarfs can be straight, gay, bisexual, and even asexual versions of all of those. Same with your animals, which is why breeding pairs sometimes don't breed. I've had married gay couples immigrate (I've never had a wedding in one of my forts, maybe I should try out the honeymoon suites room designs I see on the wikis

This is not something I have ever known! Thanks for the explain.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
IIRC you can edit dwarf sexuality ratios in the raws too, so if you want a gay pride fortress, you can.

(I'm not sure if there'd be side-effects on world dwarven populations if the proportion of straight/bisexual dwarves is too low, but that's just more Fun)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pity about those werepig bites, boys

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hm

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I finally starting having some fun things show up at my fortress now that I got my magma forges/smelters going on perpetual production of various gold things. I was shocked at how easily my dwarves crushed the most recent goblin siege.

I do have one problem though, my best axelord was wounded in the last battle and now she's just lying outside wounded. There seem to be plenty of idle dwarves with the labor enabled to recover wounded and the civilian alert restricting them to inside has been lifted. I even see dwarves walking over her on the way to picking up various junk left over from the battle. What could I do to get her picked up and brought inside?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

IronicDongz posted:

This looks like a public bathroom with a line of urinals on one wall and a single completed toilet stall.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

tell me how you really think

e: "She felt indignant after being forced to endure the decay of a mother" is the most dwarf fortress sentence I've ever read

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I read the strings of "Didn't feel anything after watching a cat die" like dwarves are just wandering around killing things hoping they can feel again.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

wilderthanmild posted:

I finally starting having some fun things show up at my fortress now that I got my magma forges/smelters going on perpetual production of various gold things. I was shocked at how easily my dwarves crushed the most recent goblin siege.

I do have one problem though, my best axelord was wounded in the last battle and now she's just lying outside wounded. There seem to be plenty of idle dwarves with the labor enabled to recover wounded and the civilian alert restricting them to inside has been lifted. I even see dwarves walking over her on the way to picking up various junk left over from the battle. What could I do to get her picked up and brought inside?

Hit "j" and see if there is a job for "Recover Wounded" and if the guy assigned is the slowest guy in the fort or not

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://store.steampowered.com/app/329970/KeeperRL/

Really disappointed in how shallow this is for something that billed itself as influenced by Dwarf Fortress and Dungeon Keeper. Okay enough on its own I guess but ugh, I wanted something meaty!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Synthbuttrange posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/329970/KeeperRL/

Really disappointed in how shallow this is for something that billed itself as influenced by Dwarf Fortress and Dungeon Keeper. Okay enough on its own I guess but ugh, I wanted something meaty!

nothing is girthy enough compared to toady's Unlimited Meat Works

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

I will see your werepigs and raise you...

(That was the 3rd wave)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

This looks like a public bathroom with a line of urinals on one wall and a single completed toilet stall.

I'm still in the camp that thinks Toady should renege on his pledge that he wouldn't add sewage to the game.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

I am pretty sure fingernails are currently modeled as talons. Penetrating to muscles through a piece of clothing is ridiculous. At the very least it uses the whole length of the fingernail for depth calculation, instead of how much would extend past a fingertip

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

Forbid all the random goblinite junk. Dwarves prioritize grabbing loot over recovering their wounded :shepface:

As long as the labor is enabled properly they'll eventually get around to it , once they're done looting. You can speed that up by forbidding all the loot and then you can reclaim it once she's been hauled to the hospital.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

If I'm not mistaken (because dwarf fortress lol) now that invaders actually come from somewhere that means their outfits kinda come from somewhere also. A goblin nation that isn't particularly wealthy in terms of iron and steel is much less of a problem and in fact after a decade of development now that we are finally seeing the mechanics for conquest coming into play properly I find myself thinking about the decision to put dwarves at the top of the tech tree (via steel) and whether it is now made conquest too easy. Anyway much of what I just said is theorycrafting but my thinking is that longer worldgens will help alleviate the problem by giving the goblins plenty of time to build up loot and combat skill.

Edited for clarity

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
In theory, at least, the dwarven tech advantage shouldn't be completely overwhelming. Dwarves are physically smaller than the other sentient races, which usually matters a fair deal in DF combat mechanics, they are (in theory) less numerous than humans or goblins, elves have exotic war animals, goblins have a meritocratic murder-society often lead by forgotten beasts and demons, and goblins and elves should (in theory) be able to make better use of both archery and stealth than dwarves. I'm not sure how well all of this is currently modeled, though, and humans are probably objectively the weakest race from a military standpoint; I think it makes sense that Dwarves and Elves wouldn't want to wipe them out solely on the basis that they make for a good trade partner, but I don't know the mechanics of civ aggression that well either.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
At the moment most worlds seem to succumb to the goblin hordes after a couple of hundred years. This doesn't necessarily mean the goblins have genocided the rest of the races out of existence, just that their culture has conquered and absorbed most of the rest. Indeed the "goblin" race is often composed of more humans/elves/dwarves than goblins, possibly due to the child snatching behavior.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like how the goblins are only nominally evil and basically snatch babies to lovingly take care of them. I'd like it if Toady would make them just a society of normal, reasonable people who just happen to live in fortresses underground, and who snatch babies to rescue them from unethical danger rooms and death by magma.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I kind of wish that they would replace them with goblin children

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

At the moment most worlds seem to succumb to the goblin hordes after a couple of hundred years. This doesn't necessarily mean the goblins have genocided the rest of the races out of existence, just that their culture has conquered and absorbed most of the rest. Indeed the "goblin" race is often composed of more humans/elves/dwarves than goblins, possibly due to the child snatching behavior.

Yeah most of the time when I generate a 500+ year old world it's goblins as far as the eye can see and most surviving dwarven civs are ruled by goblins.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Willfrey posted:

I will see your werepigs and raise you...

(That was the 3rd wave)

Why are you naming your children "Buttslut"?

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Is there a function or use for Forgotten Beast corpses, or am I just stuck with "Ngogngo's mangled star ruby" forever?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zesty posted:

Why are you naming your children "Buttslut"?

lol i didn't it was a succession fort

Mercykiller
Oct 22, 2009

Willfrey posted:

lol i didn't it was a succession fort

Don't listen to him he's lying.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

IronicDongz posted:

dude, literally like 60 of my 130 or so dwarves on my current save are children

also I agree wrt challenge. I want traps to be nerfed(especially cage traps), I want more enemies to be capable of breaking doors, and I want stuff like drawbridge/hatch cheese to be gone. I also want diggers but I would understand that not getting added.

but more than anything I just want more frequent invaders. fight me!!!

since the last version you can provoke invasions by raiding your neighbors i believe

i can go years without a peep, raid a tower or goblin fort one loving time and i'll get an invasion with hundreds of goblins and beak dogs within a couple of seasons

Shibawanko posted:

I like how the goblins are only nominally evil and basically snatch babies to lovingly take care of them. I'd like it if Toady would make them just a society of normal, reasonable people who just happen to live in fortresses underground, and who snatch babies to rescue them from unethical danger rooms and death by magma.

in the world of dwarf fortress goblins are basically cps

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 29, 2018

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ posted:

This should stop Linux from freezing. It also includes some other bug fixes that could be quickly incorporated.

Major bug fixes

• Stopped linux from freezing
  • Fixed crash from demanding tribute from parentless site entities
  • Stopped artifacts from moving out of backpack and similar when at old forts or lairs
  • Properly stopped imprisoned dwarves from claiming positions in fort

Other bug fixes/tweaks

• Made dwarves visit museums properly
  • Stopped every tribute rejection from being attached to your fort's history
  • Cleaned tribute/spoil reports between forts properly
  • Added military tactics and leaderships as relevant skills for squad-leading nobles/appointments
  • Made uniform settings copy properly when pasting schedule orders

So much for the dwarf in the iron mask.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wish there were ways to deal with werebeast bites that weren't nonsense

if an early werebeast bites more than a couple people it just makes me wanna quit the fort.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 29, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

IronicDongz posted:

I wish there were ways to deal with werebeast bites that weren't nonsense

if an early werebeast bites more than a couple people it just makes me wanna quit the fort.

It should be curable with sufficiently advanced medicine, perhaps.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It should be curable with sufficiently advanced medicine, perhaps.

We call that a "drawbridge".

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Which an early fort isn't going to have either. Unless you make sure to bring it with you, in which case you might as well just remove early werebeasts and give x less points on deploy.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Cleaning the wound oughtta make it less likely to result in were beast if you ask me.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Started a new fort on a smaller world, first immigrant wave just was a couple with 8 kids (!!!!), two of which had the same first name! Some dingos were causing trouble so I sent the squad to punch them to death and a weresloth struck, the father of the kids was now a miner and while the weresloth bit his head and shook him around to death he managed to jab his pick into its brain with his dying breath, literally saving the fort as this was in the main entrance. A true hero and getting a statue once the rock crew gets to making good quality stuff on the regular.