Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hey guys, I finished my update of the Zone Mortalis rules for 8th edition. Give them a look and test them out, and let me know if they need tweaks! I'm going to be using them soon in my campaign. I recommend using the Necromunda tiles for them if you haven't already thrown away thousands of dollars on forgeworld resin boards.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sw6HVqsCyk7nFlqrMs1oaG5sSnFL-QiB/view?usp=sharing

Working on my Year End Review and Adepticon post, but I'll also be sending some text dumps on my thoughts on Zone Mortalis based off my experience at one of the events at Adepticon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

One_Wing posted:

Congratulations on your run at Adepticon, it warms my heart to see someone else wielding Dire Avengers with success.

I run Biel Tan and I’m not honestly sure I can recommend it, there are basically two reasons to do it:
- The warlord trait is incredibly good with a firebase, but that doesn’t really help you.
- stubbornness (which if I’m honest is my main reason).

Even if you shoot every shuriken you’ve got, you’re still only looking at 4-5 extra hits a turn. I’d be tempted to try Ulthwe on the main detachment - you have a lot of wounds there, and while it’s an annoying non-combo with a hemlock, I think on balance it will pay off more over time than Biel Tan will - I played against a heavy tank Ulthwe army at Battlefield Birmingham and have a new found respect for it.

It’s a minor quibble, the list looks extremely vicious and I’d expect it to be a nightmare to face. The only other concern is that I think there’s a decent chance the nerf hammer might hit spears as well.

Thanks! Ulthwe is interesting... I have a hard time judging the impact of a 6+ but it does add an effective 16% to my army size. I'm also considering Iyanden since it'll increase the effectiveness of my vehicles (have to knock them down to 3 before they drop in tier) which may be big for maintaining mobility and output of fire.

I wonder if I can get a tourney in before May to test the Ulthwe idea - it just seems so finnicky but the Hemlock is a non-combo with Biel-Tan or Iyanden anyway (beside speed but 25" is still plenty). Obviously, if Aliatoc sticks around that's going to be the go-to.

Boon fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 27, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Dark Eldar Kabals preview up:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/27/codex-drukhari-preview-the-kabalsgw-homepage-post-3/

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

That soul seeker pistol is dynamite.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Obisidian Rose tactic actively trying to make footslogging Dark Eldar is...interesting.

Not sure it'll actually work, but a cool idea.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
"Failure is not an option" is the coolest strategem I've seen yet

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Strictly speaking, there's no way to make a Leman Russ Annihilator into a Tank Commander, right?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Kabals are sooo hot :getin:

d6 damage blasters
splinter racks
deepstriking vehicles

Picking a Kabal will be very hard.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm a little concerned about how many Kurovs they seem to be handing out. Each one kind of devalues the detachment system further and makes any balance decisions around reforming certain notorious detachments less effective. Black Hearts gets it as a warlord trait.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
^^^
Eldar have it 'right' I think. 6+, one roll only.

I like that there are direct comparison to the CWE but also highly unique traits and implications for those stratagems

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 27, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Deified Data posted:

d6 damage blasters
splinter racks
deepstriking vehicles

good news! You won't have to pick--just take a different one for each of your patrol detachments :)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
What Delf unit has the worst morale? Failure stratagem looks like it could be hilariously fun to field a bunch of cowardly suicidal cheapshotters.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

good news! You won't have to pick--just take a different one for each of your patrol detachments :)

Sadly my army is painted in a single scheme and I'd feel skeezy fielding more than one unless I'm with friends. I'm still holding out the rest of my space for a cult and coven patrol.

Neurolimal posted:

What Delf unit has the worst morale? Failure stratagem looks like it could be hilariously fun to field a bunch of cowardly suicidal cheapshotters.

Honestly they're all pretty decent. Maybe basic Warriors at 7 if you kill their Sybarite?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Sadly my army is painted in a single scheme and I'd feel skeezy fielding more than one unless I'm with friends. I'm still holding out the rest of my space for a cult and coven patrol.

Honestly they're all pretty decent. Maybe basic Warriors at 7 if you kill their Sybarite?

Hm, Emboldened by Bloodshed looks like it puts a timer on the Coward Charge.

Theres no trick to staple units together for delfs, is there? A number of single-model units like Sslyth have a leadership of two, very timid sneks.

E: Clawed fiends have a Ld of 4, but they also dont have the Kabal keyword, seems like they thought this through a bit.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 27, 2018

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Hm, Emboldened by Bloodshed looks like it puts a timer on the Coward Charge.

Theres no trick to staple units together for delfs, is there? A number of single-model units like Sslyth have a leadership of two, very timid sneks.

E: Clawed fiends have a Ld of 4, but they also dont have the Kabal keyword, seems like they thought this through a bit.

Not currently no, each Court character is an island unto themselves, though maybe the codex will give us a more convenient way of organizing them.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deified Data posted:

d6 damage blasters
splinter racks
deepstriking vehicles

Yeah there's a bunch of cool stuff in there. The trait to get 3" extra movement on FLY keyword stuff (aka all your transports) looks great.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Obisidian Rose tactic actively trying to make footslogging Dark Eldar is...interesting.

Not sure it'll actually work, but a cool idea.

As somebody with like 80 warriors, I look forward to the shenanigans that are coming :getin:

*Is immediately shot off the table by some Tau dork*

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Here we are at the end of Adepticon, and basically what I would could consider the start of the year as far as my 40K hobby goes. It has been a pretty busy year for my life outside of 40k with me getting a new house and having a kid on barely a month from being born. It was still the best year I’ve had for the hobby since starting with this being the best Adepticon yet, and me finally having my own game space. Honestly, life in general is at a high point, and I didn’t really think I’d ever be where I am at if you had asked about 5 years ago.

Anyway, I figured I start with a quick list of what I completed this year, once I saw it all laid out I feel it wasn’t that much, but hopefully I will get more done this year now that I plan on doubling down on getting Primaris Marines done, and MAYBE a new army started?

In order beginning with April 2017 until now:
- Land Raider Exselsior
- Inquisitor Greyfax
- Roboute Guilliman
- Saint Celestine
- 2x Leviathan Dreadnaughts
- 5x Hellblasters
- 10x Reivers
- 6x Inceptors
- Venerable Dreadnaught
- 3x Aggressors
- 2x Contemptor Dreadnaughts

Not terrible by any stretch, but I feel I slowed at times. Seeing the results of The Sex Cannon’s focus on his Raven Guard only convinced me of my mistake in not working on them the second they were released.

Anyway, on to the Adepticon Summary, which I’ll try to break up over several posts, and try to include the best photos with a link my IMGUR album if you desire to see them all.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im sure Deldar will get some deep striking options like Craftworld got.

Time to hit hard and fast, kinky cousins!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Hihohe posted:

The stratagem to deep strike a flyer strongly implies they can webway assault instead, so it certainly looks like it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hihohe posted:

They did, the preview alludes to a Webway option and also shows an ability that is the same as Cloudstrike but renamed.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Boon posted:

They did, the preview alludes to a Webway option and also shows an ability that is the same as Cloudstrike but renamed.

We've already seen their deep strike strat in Chapter Approved, just a rename of Webway Assault or whatever.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Another cross post from last weekend

DrPop posted:

I noticed that Booley's incredible photos lacked TKWG's beautiful Arvus terrain, which was arguably the highlight of the PNW VisV event. Much blood was spilled in front of it during the first game; there was a three-turn long (I think) melee slugfest that involved, at various points:

- a Death Guard Tactical Squad
- Sons of Horus Reavers
- World Eaters assault marines
- a World Eaters dreadnought
- a World Eaters tactical squad
- a World Eaters Devoured Hero
- an Justaerin
- a Sons of Horus Delegatus
- a Death Guard Delegatus
- two Death Guard Destroyers

My Rhino rumbles down the main road of the Hixson table (which was also dope, incredible work homie) during the second game

Snapshot of the Arvus bloodbath

Also Olloth's beautiful Warmaster Cat, Lilly:

Skulls for the arvusthrone

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Boon posted:

Im not sure im prepared for the hype that is deep striking raiders and venoms.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Deepstrike Tantalus with 3 units of Blaster Trueborn inside. Massacre.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

Here we are at the end of Adepticon, and basically what I would could consider the start of the year as far as my 40K hobby goes. It has been a pretty busy year for my life outside of 40k with me getting a new house and having a kid on barely a month from being born. It was still the best year I’ve had for the hobby since starting with this being the best Adepticon yet, and me finally having my own game space. Honestly, life in general is at a high point, and I didn’t really think I’d ever be where I am at if you had asked about 5 years ago.

Anyway, I figured I start with a quick list of what I completed this year, once I saw it all laid out I feel it wasn’t that much, but hopefully I will get more done this year now that I plan on doubling down on getting Primaris Marines done, and MAYBE a new army started?

That's awesome, man. Congrats! Looking forward to the updates.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Guard question: I know there's no possible way Rocket Launchers are worth 20 points, but what would a fair value for them be? 15? 12? (12 seems too low tbh...)

Same question about the grenade launcher, really. Although the GL isn't really over-costed, it's just grossly inefficient versus other special weapons I guess?

There are so many awesome rocket and grenade launcher minis and so few reasons to field them. :sigh:

I suppose I could mark Rocket Launchers as "counts-as" LasCannon, as long as it's made clear?

E: also, why does :google: return not even a single humorous image for the search string "Edith PIAT"?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 27, 2018

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Missile Launchers would probably be fine at Autocannon prices. IIRC the ML would be better against guard and tanks while the AC would be better against marines and light vehicles.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Adepticon 2018 Thoughts

Primaris Marines:
I had only played one game with my Primaris marines so far. It was a 1000 point game vs. Custodes and I got tabled on turn 3. I went in to Adepticon thinking that my all-Primaris Raven Guard would maybe scrape together 3 wins, but I ended up going 5-1! Bigly marines are really, really good. The Raven Guard chapter tactic is really, really good. I was able to keep my guys out of the dreaded less than 12" range for all but one of my games, and it turns out that 2W, 3+ SV, models in cover that are -1 to hit are extremely survivable! Thoughts on units:
1. Hellblasters - Hellblasters are the best unit available for all-Primaris marine armies. The amount of damage they're capable of putting out is astonishing. Things that 1 or 2 Hellblaster squads took down in 1 round of shooting: Magnus, a repulsor, a redemptor, Celestine, bullgryns, you get the idea. Buffed by a nearby captain and lieutenant, and with the help of a nearby Primaris Ancient, they are a truly scary unit. I thought the Assault Hellblasters were the true standouts. Their 30" effective range was invaluable. Advice for anyone playing against marines: kill these guys first.
2. Aggressors - Aggressors are also scary as gently caress. I was far too aggressive (lol) with their deployment in most games so they would usually get hosed in the early game, but when they got to double shoot their guns, they caused all sorts of problems. Highlights include killing a demon prince with one round of shooting and then charging bikers and wiping the squad, and pounding the poo poo out of anything they manage to get into combat with.
3. Inceptors - My bolter Inceptors didn't kill poo poo. I was pretty underwhelmed with their performance, especially seeing as how annoying they are to paint. They're excellent distractions, though. I would frequently drop them into cover and then they'd tank half the opponent's shooting, preserving my units that actually do something.
4. Reivers - Excellent cheap harassers. Drop in, shoot some infantry, try to tie up something that has good shooting (like Russes). I missed my 9" charges more than I hit with them in both events, which makes sense, but they did a good job at pushing the envelope a bit. They're fantastic as a turn 2 or 3 drop, too, for grabbing objectives and putting some pressure on the opponent.
5. Intercessors - 5-man troops squads are never gonna be amazing at anything, but they're nearly impossible to shift at range. I don't think there's a single better Troop unit for the points (there's no way I can actually back this up)!
6. Repulsor - This big boy didn't die in any of my games (I only had it for half of them). It should have in one, but my opponent rolled 4 1s with his hit rolls for melta vets. I think it serves better as a gunboat than a transport. Mine has las-weapons and storm bolters for a but of both worlds, and it did work. The fact that it doesn't have a -1 to hit from moving is huge. It works best when combined with a nearby captain and lieutenant, of course. Combined with the Hellblasters, Primaris long range anti-tank isn't nearly as anemic as I thought it would be.
Characters:
1. Gravis Captain - Total loving beatstick. I gave him the anti-character warlord trait for all of my games and he would charge in and punch the gently caress out of anything before him. He is a must-have at 134 points. I usually had him gang up with the Aggressors and the power sword lieutenant to make a nice little 5-man bully squad. I also gave him the Armor Indomitus. As Uroboros pointed out, I should have been taking the Relic standard, but hey. Live and learn.
2. Regular Primaris Captain - A must-have if you're going to take Hellblasters, but otherwise didn't do a drat thing.
3. Lieutenants - Must-have for Hellblasters, and great for charging a vehicle or squad that's about to wreck your good units. Mine didn't actually kill anything all weekend.
4. Primaris Ancient - Again, if you're doing the whole firebase of Hellblasters thing, this guy is a must-take. His presence was invaluable, as I was a pro at rolling those 4+ shoot before you die rolls.

I rarely worked my way through all 6 or 7 command points at my disposal. All of the re-rolls from my Captains made it so I didn't really need to use them for those. I used the "Fight twice" strat once to kill Celestine, but otherwise it was mostly just re-rolls here and there. Morale didn't factor in for any of my units at all. The all-primaris list might not be viable at the highest level of competitive play, but for casual games it is more than adequate. I had a great time using my new bird bros!

The Games
Thursday Gentlemen's Tourney (100 PL vetted lists)
I had:
Gravis Captain
Primaris Captain
2 Lieutenants
Primaris Ancient
Bolter Aggressors
2 Reivers
3 Intercessors
Bolter Inceptors
Assault Hellblasters
Rapid Fire Hellblasters
Repulsor

Thanks to Uroboros for the really good-looking tray.

Game one - vs. Nick's Thousand Sons - W
He had Magnus, a DP, a large blob of Cultists, a larger blob of Tzaangors, a squad of Rubricae, a squad of TS termies, a Tzaangor disc shaman, and whatever those Tzaangor archers on discs are called. Really fun game as he was a good player with a great attitude. The deployment rules were a little weird: you could only start the game with 4 units on the field, and one of them had to be Troops. I put out my Intercessors and my Regular Captain. He had Magnus, the cultists, the DP and the disc archers. He misplayed Magnus, though. He was far too aggressive and charged Magnus in on turn 2 by himself. Magnus did a million mortal wounds, but my good units weren't even on the field yet, and couldn't be killed. He also failed the 3++ save psychic power that turn by rolling snake eyes on the test, and then another 1 on the re-roll! On my turn, my shooters walked on and took out the big guy. After Magnus went down, he was at a serious disadvantage and couldn't make it work. Afterwards I bought him a couple of beers and had lunch with him and his friend Kyle at the bar on our lunch break. I'd definitely play against him again.

Game two - Jerad's Death Guard - W
He had a DP, a Termie lord, a unit of termies, a unit of bikers, a unit of Death Guard, a Hellbrute, a Sicaran Venator, and 3 Predators with AC/HB. The deployment was also interesting. I had to deploy in a column in the middle and he got to deploy around me. He seized and I thought I was done, but he whiffed with just about everything. He also deployed his Preds and Venator way far away, even after I reminded him of the Raven Guard's chapter tactic, and they didn't amount for poo poo the entire battle, especially after my Reivers got in combat with them. After his turn 1 charges amounted to nothing, he proceeded to get super pissy about everything and I could tell he wanted to get the game over with. I was cool with that because he was a gigantic man-child with horrible psoriasis. He had a weird list and played it poorly, and when combined with his attitude, it made for a lovely game. I'm glad this guy isn't local to me because I'd avoid the poo poo out of him.

Game three - Chris' Adeptus Ministorum Task Force - L
This was, by far, may favorite game of the Gentlemen's Tourney. My opponent was one of the guys who runs Da Boyz tournament/hobby retreat weekend in Rochester, NY. We immediately were vibing, and he was cool as hell. His list was Celestine + guard, but it had a distinctly Ecclesiarchy feel to it, and contained several units out of the Ministorum index that I'd never even seen before. He had Celestine, 3 units of Cadian infantry, a manticore, a wyvern, a Punisher Russ, a Valkyrie, a melta command squad, and then it got weird: he had a unit of death cult assassins, a unit of arco-flagellants, and a unit of crusaders all in Rhinos. I was too aggressive with my Aggressors and got them and the power sword lieutenant killed on turn 1, but my Gravis Captain struck back and killed Celstine (who, predictably, came back, but was otherwise ineffective). On turn 2 he got all of his weirdo close combat units into mine and kicked my loving rear end. We only got to turn 3, but I probably would have gotten tabled. It was a great game, and he alone made a great case for going to Da Boyz sometime down the road. Afterwards we had a couple of beers (a recurring theme at Adepticon) and he revealed that his 100 PL list was about 2200 points in total, while mine came in at 1842. So maybe I'm not that into power level after all.

The 40k Friendly (1500 points, max 1 detachment)
I had pretty much the same list minus the Repulsor.

Game one - Oleg's Catachans - W
The first thing Oleg does as we meet at the table is hand me a 100 mL mini barrel of Neft Vodka. It's 9 AM, so I immediately slam it back and almost vomit. He hands me another and I manage to go get some cranberry juice to mix it before drinking this one. Oleg's army was insane. It's all heavily, heavily converted to look like jungle dudes in dense camo. I don't remember everything he had but he had a Deathstrike with a real, live, potted Venus Fly Trap in place of the big missile. His sentinels were all old treemen models toting lascannons. He went big on lascannons and missile launchers. It was a very fluffy list. The theme of the friendly was Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, and that was Oleg's favorite movie when he was in high school in Russia. He was clearly very excited to be there and was looking forward to a great time. He deployed everything very far back, making me walk across the table to him, but my cool guy Raven Guard chapter tactic meant he missed on almost everything. Until the Deathstrike fired. He used the Vortex Missile Strat and did a truly hilarious amount of damage to my firebase. At that point, however, he was pretty far behind and couldn't come back. Great game, and I'd totally play him again.

Game two - Henrey's Valhallans - W
Henrey had a very fluffy list with a large conscript blob mechanised infantry squads, and plenty of Russes. It was led by Cimmissar Caiaphas Cain (and Gunner Jurgen!) from his Aquila Lander (I know, right?). I was a little worried at first because Russes are pretty good, but I was able to tie up a bunch of his tanks in combat rendering them mostly useless. He was also unsure about a lot of his rules, and was frequently quoting weapon profiles and rules from the IG index or last edition's codex. Despite that, he was a really nice guy and we did have a fun game. A really nice guy who I'd gladly play again!

Game three - Dave's Imperial Fists - W
I was very excited to take part in this battle as he had mostly all-primaris Imperial fists. Instead of listing everything, I think you all can glean what was on the battlefield from this picture:

Since I didn't take any vehicles, I ended up with a lot more shots than he did. When his Redemptor and Repulsor got close enough for the Hellblasters to open up, they did, getting rid of both in successive turns. After that, he was kinda out of the fight as my guys seriously outnumbered him. However, he was a super nice guy and I'd totally play him again!

The 40k Friendly was much friendlier than last year, but unlike last year I wasn't on the winning team, even though I won all 3 games. The TOs had also added a bunch of Bill & Ted themed stratagems which were a little much. There was two that negated a shooting phase or an assault phase for 2 CP each. I never used either one of those, or had them used against me, and I'm glad for that, because they seemed super un-chill. There was a 0 CP strat called "Bogus Dice, Dude" that allowed you to give your opponent a re-roll that was very liberally used, though. I really like that one.

All in all, it was a great couple of days of 40k, and I'm super glad I got to spend it with some cool goons. Adepticon's not my favorite gaming con, but that doesn't mean it's not a truly great time. The 2nd time around was much better, too, as I already knew people and felt more comfortable socializing. I also stayed in the hotel this time, which was huge. If you're on the fence about Adepticon 2019, give it a shot. It's a great time.

The Sex Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 27, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Some drat nice Proportionis Marines there, kudos.

Also, while looking up those primaris units on GIS I found this pic, which is worth sharing:

Gravis Captain and a super vintage Terminator done up in equal quality paint. The termie looks almost chibi :3:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

S.J. posted:

They don't actually tell you anything of substance the vast majority of the time. They still don't release any information on anything until 2 weeks before books hit shelves. Lots of companies do a lot better than that, and give actual hard dates and timelines for product releases, public playtesting, etc. There's nothing really vague about saying 'they aren't really telling you anything'. They aren't and they don't. They just have someone who chats with people on their FB page. That's fine, but they could be a lot more active with their communities and that kind of thing would help prevent, like, releasing erratas and FAQs that don't address problems with the game :v:

I'm actually hoping that they'll listen to feedback with the sisters release. That could end up being a turning point, but who knows.

Not to excuse everything else, but I actually rather like not being bombarded by a constant months long hype-train of buildup and marketing to new releases outside of stuff like Malign Portents etc. I mean, GW might well be able to sell more stuff if they did the kind of pre-release hype-building you see in video games industry, but I'd be kind of sad if they did.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Boon posted:

Thanks! Ulthwe is interesting... I have a hard time judging the impact of a 6+ but it does add an effective 16% to my army size. I'm also considering Iyanden since it'll increase the effectiveness of my vehicles (have to knock them down to 3 before they drop in tier) which may be big for maintaining mobility and output of fire.

I wonder if I can get a tourney in before May to test the Ulthwe idea - it just seems so finnicky but the Hemlock is a non-combo with Biel-Tan or Iyanden anyway (beside speed but 25" is still plenty). Obviously, if Aliatoc sticks around that's going to be the go-to.

I never would have rated Ulthwe till I saw it on the table, but once was enough to convert me to its use in high wound lists - I basically spent the entire game I played against it just slightly behind where I needed to be in terms of wearing his firebase down. The Ulthwe firebase in the list started with (I believe) 115 wounds in it, and at the point the game ended there were something like 20-24 remaining (I can’t remember if I had wounded either of the last two fire prisms), so that’s pretty drat close to “the average wounds saved by the FNP”. All it takes is one good round of FNPs early on to start snowballing as well.

This was up against Simon Weakley as well, (aka winner of the Caledonian uprising and the man who doomed us to this 7 flyrant hell in which we now live), and he said his testing had showed that with the high wound list in the current meta Ulthwe outperformed Alaitoc, and I can believe that - the FNPs keep working against lists that can close with you or want to assault in a way Alaitoc doesn’t.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Adepticon 2018 Thoughts

That sounds like a great time and makes me want to try to make it to a tournament one of these days.

I'm sort of surprised that your Inceptors weren't performing for you. Even running solo in a three man squads they've consistently done a great job for me. In my last game I had a six man squad rerolling 1's to hit and wound and they basically killed an entire Deathwatch army by themselves. Part of it is that mine are Blood Angels and are better at asaulting and redeploying, but the vast majority of their killing is done with those shooting attacks. I guess the fact that I'm not pure Primaris and thus able to take a jump pack captain/lieutenant makes a pretty big difference.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Neurolimal posted:

Some drat nice Proportionis Marines there, kudos.

Also, while looking up those primaris units on GIS I found this pic, which is worth sharing:

Gravis Captain and a super vintage Terminator done up in equal quality paint. The termie looks almost chibi :3:

That poor Terminator looks sad. I can practically hear the sad trombone noise.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Pendent posted:

That sounds like a great time and makes me want to try to make it to a tournament one of these days.

I'm sort of surprised that your Inceptors weren't performing for you. Even running solo in a three man squads they've consistently done a great job for me. In my last game I had a six man squad rerolling 1's to hit and wound and they basically killed an entire Deathwatch army by themselves. Part of it is that mine are Blood Angels and are better at asaulting and redeploying, but the vast majority of their killing is done with those shooting attacks. I guess the fact that I'm not pure Primaris and thus able to take a jump pack captain/lieutenant makes a pretty big difference.

Yeah, I was playing pretty fast and loose with them, and I probably should have paid attention to re-roll bubbles more. Thankfully, the Hellblasters did more than their fair share, so I've got no complaints, really.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

One_Wing posted:

I never would have rated Ulthwe till I saw it on the table, but once was enough to convert me to its use in high wound lists - I basically spent the entire game I played against it just slightly behind where I needed to be in terms of wearing his firebase down. The Ulthwe firebase in the list started with (I believe) 115 wounds in it, and at the point the game ended there were something like 20-24 remaining (I can’t remember if I had wounded either of the last two fire prisms), so that’s pretty drat close to “the average wounds saved by the FNP”. All it takes is one good round of FNPs early on to start snowballing as well.

This was up against Simon Weakley as well, (aka winner of the Caledonian uprising and the man who doomed us to this 7 flyrant hell in which we now live), and he said his testing had showed that with the high wound list in the current meta Ulthwe outperformed Alaitoc, and I can believe that - the FNPs keep working against lists that can close with you or want to assault in a way Alaitoc doesn’t.

I mean - just straight averages would make a 1,650 list 1,925 based on wounds alone. Now that you've pointed it out I'm considering how that might play and it's kind of staggering.

You make good points - you've converted me good sir :)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I have no idea what half the rules mean or how to evaluate the worth of the other half of the rules but I am getting hype for Dark Eldar.

A bunch of psycho misfits forming a big happy raiding party family :3:

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Boon posted:

I mean - just straight averages would make a 1,650 list 1,925 based on wounds alone. Now that you've pointed it out I'm considering how that might play and it's kind of staggering.

You make good points - you've converted me good sir :)

FWIW I’d still keep your outrider detachment Saim Hann - the relic and strategem are just too good.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Game one - Oleg's Catachans - W
The first thing Oleg does as we meet at the table is hand me a 100 mL mini barrel of Neft Vodka. It's 9 AM, so I immediately slam it back and almost vomit. He hands me another and I manage to go get some cranberry juice to mix it before drinking this one. Oleg's army was insane. It's all heavily, heavily converted to look like jungle dudes in dense camo. I don't remember everything he had but he had a Deathstrike with a real, live, potted Venus Fly Trap in place of the big missile.
Russian BuffaloChicken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I decided to get the FULL Adepticon experience this year, and set aside a total of 6 days for the event, starting with a drive to Chicago on the 21st and finally returning on the 26th. The months running up to the event I had gathered as many attending Goons as a I could into a GroupMe chat where we spent a good amount of time hyping one another up. I also jumped on the sign-up managing to snag a VIG (very important gamer) Bag, which has even more SWAG than the regulars. In fact, for those people looking to attend Adepticon merely as observers, or are just money conscious, the value of the items in the SWAG Bags easily outweighs the ticket price to the point that a savvy individual could sell the items inside to make a profit from the weekend.

Aside from a few items, everything here is what was given to me as part of my Adepticon VIG pass.

Being the first Goon to convention I volunteered my services to help pack the SWAG Bags for the weekend. I must say that the intensity of this was greater than the heavy lifting one has to perform when they participate in either teardown or setup of the event. After what had to of been 2 hours of constantly passing somewhere in the realm of 3000 bags I was rewarded with a free lunch voucher.

I then met up with WhiteOutMouse, MasterSlowPoke, and The Sex Cannon, who would be the Goon faces I saw most often during the weekend, although Boon, DiHK, Ragnarok Angel, and Geoff Zahn all made appearances. Muggins and Kommisar were in attendance but remained unsighted.

On Thursday I attended the Championships for the third time, and once again found myself performing moderately going 2-2. I didn’t take a lot of pictures of this event simply because I had planned on taking more during the following days when the more impressive armies went on display. A brief rundown of my match-ups are as follows:

Game 1 – Nurgle Demons - Victory
I took a very elite army list revolving around Leviathan Dreadnaughts, and after about 3 turns I had shot to death most of my opponents force despite them being insanely durable with lots of -1 hit modifiers and Disgustingly Resilient rolls.

Game 2 – Ultramarine Bikes – Loss
This was an interesting game that I initially thought would be an easy victory, but thanks to the terrain my opponent was quickly able to realize that hiding from my guns and waiting out the match was in his best interest, especially one Dreadnaught killed over 10 bikes in a single volley. I had foolish chosen to go first in a match that scored objectives at the end of the game. This basically allowed my opponent to hide out of LoS until the bottom of 6 when he swarmed out and took the majority of objectives from me. Well played on his part, and what kind of highlights why flyer spam with Guilliman is the primary game in town. Dreadnaughts are slow.

Game 3 – Chaos Marines – Loss
Obliterators are my kryptonite at this point, and ironically this was a list I played at Dragonfall from a really nice member of the Beast Coast Team. Needless to say I got some punches in myself, but the end result was me getting tabled.

Game 4 – Imperial Guard – Victory

A non-optimized Guard list that I quickly ran over, and kind of solidified my dislike of my own list, despite it being powerful in certain situations it was a rather boring list to play. The guy was super gracious, and we both had a good time since we had nothing on the line at this point.

Overall, the best experience I’ve had with the championships yet, but the flaws of 8th Edition still stand large. Alpha strikes remain game breaking in certain match ups, and Adepticon’s terrain on many tables is still not up to the standard that 8th Edition requires to prevent this kind of thing. Suffice to say the winning lists were appropriately disgusting, with Matt Root having 7 Flying Hive Tyrants in his. To the edition’s credit you can at least envision a list that could beat it, so despite being gross spam, it isn’t the unbeatable poo poo of 7th edition.

I don’t think I’ll be doing the Championship again simply because Marines are at such a disadvantage, and it requires lucky match ups to go unbeaten with them. It is also the longest event of the convention in terms of a single day commitment, and can be exhausting by the end, not evening factoring an additional day of play if you reach Top 16. I retired to the bar where The Sex Cannon and I stayed up late talking about serious poo poo not related to 40K…this would become a reoccurring theme.

Friday

This was the day I had designated for the vendor hall, and to wander around taking in the sites and hard work of various convention goers.

I also participated in a Zone Mortalis event, which I managed to be victorious thanks to my Primaris Marines. It was probably the most enjoyable event of the weekend simply due to the small time investment, and that Zone Mortalis doesn’t suffer from alpha strike syndrome like normal 40k.

So here is a sample of my wanderings from that day, which consisted the Gentlemen’s, Friendly, and Double’s Tournaments along with a host of narrative and apocalypse games.

A hilarious picture of the winning list vs. an almost identical list in the semifinals.

Friends burrowed Guilliman for their Doubles List.

Apparently I have a lot of work to do…

The one picture of my guys in Zone Mortalis.

Joker themed army had this wheel for to liven things up.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 27, 2018