Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The game is just fine to play for free, I did for my first 2 months but I am a retarded spending addict so it was bound to happen either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Realistically if you play more than a couple of months you should expect to spend $60 or so on pets at the very least. These aren't really important until you're lvl 56+ though in my opinion. Costumes can be purchased on the market place and really aren't that difficult to win bids on.

If you go full ham however you can easily spend a couple hundred dollars. My time played to spent is well under $1/hr so I feel that's a great value for entertainment.

The uniqueness of BDO makes it difficult for me to go back to playing tabbed hotkey games.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I play this game very casually and never really found it to be an issue with not doing as well as others while running around. Gold is easy to earn and you can buy a lot of stuff in the ingame market that will help you out. There are some items you could spend real money on to make your life better. You can also wait for BDO to go on sale and get the package upgrades for cheap. I went from base package (that I bought on sale for $12) to the next tier and then to the highest package during 2 sales. I think overall I spent maybe $50 on the game. But I also got 6 months of good play on it before other games caught my attention. I'm actually thinking of reinstalling and starting up again as I'm getting the MMO itch.

Drythe posted:

or "this outfit is cute af"

This is my greatest weakness in the game by far. Everything is beautiful in game and there are SO many nice looking armors to play dress up on. I really want to get a new outfit for the Witch so it doesn't look like she's running around in colored potato sacks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Revolver Bunker posted:

This is my greatest weakness in the game by far. Everything is beautiful in game and there are SO many nice looking armors to play dress up on. I really want to get a new outfit for the Witch so it doesn't look like she's running around in colored potato sacks.

The hobochic on the witches and wizards bothered me at first, but it's grown on me. When she runs you can see she's got pants and boots on under the robe. Really looks like a pretty practical outfit for adventuring. Jump out of bed and go kick some rear end or grow some potatoes, she's ready for anything. You gonna grow potatoes in spike heels and a miniskirt? I don't think so.

Now I just snicker at the people who are trying waaay too hard with their costumes and fancy horses. Good luck in the swamp with that get up.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Night cat costume for kuno was the best $34 I ever spent.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

hello friends I used to play this game a long time ago and a niggling part of my brain is saying "play BDO! just do it more casually!" ha ha yeah right. but like maybe I'd enjoy it more if I just grinded by myself in some random spot and didn't worry about PVP (I know that sounds rear end-backwards, I was in Luciform and they were all PVP this PVP that).

Though mostly I quit because FUUUUUCK Korean RNG, I ended up getting a set of boss armor but I couldn't even upgrade any of it because it took me like 200 mil to get one of the pieces to like +9 because my luck is so terrible. If it's actually possible to buy like DUO pieces now given the money I might actually just do that. (But then I'd need to TRI it anyway...)

My question is opinions on the classes? I quit before I got an awakening so I realize a lot of classes are different pre/post. I used to main a sorc (dark flame nerf rip) but I have no clue what the awakening is like. I liked being self-sufficient enough to gently caress people up in solo PVP but otherwise this game is 99% PVE grind so meh. I remember they changed it up so you no longer lose exp for dying and all that happens is the PKer loses karma so now I'll just laugh if someone kills me. I also liked my tamer although I never played it as much, I'm not sure what it was that I liked about it but it felt pretty zen. But the doggo despawned in water and its awakening looked kind of complicated? Otherwise I had also tried Valkyrie, Witch, Ranger and Maehwa, was not a real fan of any of them (witch just had too much wind-up, ranger was too... I dunno, twitchy and too much potion use, valk was kinda bleh and maehwa was cool but I liked my sorc/tamer better).

Soooo how are the awakenings for tamer/sorc (especially PVE grind and like, ease of play), how is the mystic, how is the dark knight? To be honest I kind of just want to kill things without being amazing at doing weird complicated combos or whatever. Anyone have opinions?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Well, boss gear and weapons aside from red nose are still always sold out on the market. However, a change they recently made was that when an item gets sold to pre-order, the price that the buyer pre-ordered it for is shown on the market under "recent price." So now you don't have to guess what the true market value of stuff is, and tri boss gear does get sold pretty frequently. For example, right now the max market price on tri bheg's gloves is 450million, but the last pre-order was 950million. Tri dim tree armor 488million normal max price / 960million pre order. So if you want to bypass the enhancement system, you can save up and plunk down a big pre-order and buy tri boss gear relatively "easily." If you want even better gear than that though, it gets posted so infrequently you're looking at weeks or months of waiting even if you have the silver to win a pre-order.

I'm not too familiar with the playstyles of the classes you mentioned unfortunately, so I can't comment on that.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Mystic is extremely good and really simple to play. You can do basically whatever and delete entire packs of mobs.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Estraysian posted:

Mystic is extremely good and really simple to play. You can do basically whatever and delete entire packs of mobs.

Agreed. While Mystics don't have the insane damage of witches. Mystic do deal a lot of damage while also being super tanky and possessing high mobility.

Gauging interest for another island exploration event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rfT2Gmnm94

The idea being to take out the guild boat and move people between the Epheria to the Mediah islands. To Discover them and poke the node managers

In total it should take around 4 hours and lead to enough knowledge to increase your energy cap by about 31 points

The reason I left out the Valencia islands is that those are particularly hellish to navigate and often require climbing cliffs and taking obscure routes to navigate the island itself. It would probably add another hour and a half to the trip as a whole.

Bringing 100 energy would help because some islands are a lot easier to discover by just giving the node manager some energy.

There are no requirements level or gear wise to join this expedition. Keep in mind that if you have to leave in a hurry in the middle and don't have time for us to sail you back to land then your character might have to swim back home when you return later. If this happen we'll try to send a fishing boat to pick your character up when you get back.

Ineptitude posted:

Hot tip: bring an alt that you don't care a lot about for this, seeing as everything gained is account wide, in case you get stuck out there i mean.

This would be done on a weekend. For example Saturday evening. If you're interested post what time window of day UTC you would be able to start the event.

Katt fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 3, 2018

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Katt posted:

This would be done on a weekend. For example Saturday evening. If you're interested post what time window of day UTC you would be able to start the event.

Sure, I'd be available on Saturday except from 5pm to 8pm UTC

stump collector
May 28, 2007

I did this two days ago on my own with the unrepairable vell boat and didn't discover portanen Island :ughh:

stump collector fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 3, 2018

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

stump collector posted:

I did this two days ago on my own with the unrepairable vell boat and didn't discover portanen Island :ughh:

Unless you're going for completion, a couple of the island albums give you the full energy amount without 100 percent completion

stump collector
May 28, 2007
That's not one of them sadly. I got 72 max energy in a few hours of dicking around it's not a huge loss. I'm pretty sure I stopped there and didn't have enough energy to discover the island and he didn't give me the option again.

I'm getting real tired of trying to get the troll tower knowledge, this poo poo is ridiculous

stump collector fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 3, 2018

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

I want to do the exploration thing. I'm available whenever UTC.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

So 8 PM on a Saturday UTC works for everyone?

Here's a UTC clock to make double sure we're all on the same page.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone/utc

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Katt posted:

So 8 PM on a Saturday UTC works for everyone?

Here's a UTC clock to make double sure we're all on the same page.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone/utc

Works for me.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Kakao is switching their NA server network provider on April 25th

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Clocks posted:

Soooo how are the awakenings for tamer/sorc (especially PVE grind and like, ease of play), how is the mystic, how is the dark knight? To be honest I kind of just want to kill things without being amazing at doing weird complicated combos or whatever. Anyone have opinions?

Sorc forces you to be amazing at doing weird complicated combos. Even their basic movement is like 7 different abilites chained together while flawlessly switching between weapons. Spamming Violation sadly only gets you so far.

Tamer is also very combo-heavy, but the combos feel much more natural, weapon transitions are easy to grasp. Animation cancels have very low cooldown (or none at all). Far easier than sorc, but with slightly worse grinding speed thanks to smaller AoEs.

Dark Knight starts off as a heavy melee class with slow and big hits, but you'll never use pre-awakening post 56. At 56 you turn into mobile artillery, raining death from above with particle effects everywhere. You're squishy like the ranger, with no innate HP recovery, but without the rangers crippling mana issues. They get a bad rap from being somewhat repetitive and they get hard-countered by the two newest classes Mystic and Striker, who both have very high magic DR, but its a extremely good class for PvE.

Mystic is the current FotM op-class. Her damage is kinda limited (don't worry, she's a very fast grinder), especially compared to her mirror class, Striker, but she's so loving tanky. And mobile. And she shits CC. Every button you press gives her super armor or frontal guard. Or both. She sustains HP like crazy. She's also extremely easy and fun to play. The latest patch has tuned her somewhat down and given her some gaps in her super armor chain that other classes can use, but she's still extremely strong and most people that would try to scare you off a grinding spot on another class will just leave you alone if you're a Mystic.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mystic has been awesome for me. No mana issues, super tanky and agile and over all just a lot of fun.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Honestly it seems like Mystic is going to be right up my alley. I haven't heard a single bad thing about it. Only worry being that at some point they will nerf her main poo poo into the ground and make grinding terrible or something, like they did back when I played pre-awakanable sorc.

DK used to be FOTM too, right? Seems like she's not too bad now, just not OP either.

I just haven't gotten the gumption to go ahead and start the game up again. I feel like I'll be relearning a lot of things.

J
Jun 10, 2001

DK would probably still be classified on the OP side if it weren't for striker/mystic having really high magic defense.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Just recently started playing the game again, after a stint of logging in for attendance rewards

Holy crap mystic is fun, easily the most fun class i have played so far. (and i have played most classes to awakening)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ineptitude posted:

Just recently started playing the game again, after a stint of logging in for attendance rewards

Holy crap mystic is fun, easily the most fun class i have played so far. (and i have played most classes to awakening)

https://i.imgur.com/yJNd2j5.mp4

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Ineptitude posted:

Mystic is the only class I haven't played. How does it compare to an awakened Striker?

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Coming back to this game after being away for quite some time. What's the best way to get more CP these days? Is it cooking now that it doesnt use up energy? Also, my gear wasnt that great last time I played. Is the info in the OP still relevant for buying gear?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Asciana posted:

Coming back to this game after being away for quite some time. What's the best way to get more CP these days? Is it cooking now that it doesnt use up energy? Also, my gear wasnt that great last time I played. Is the info in the OP still relevant for buying gear?

Calpheon daily quests and cooking are both great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5LdczQOE38

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Cook all the Essence of Liquor. All of it. ALL OF IT~

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

JackBadass posted:

Mystic is the only class I haven't played. How does it compare to an awakened Striker?

Did not awaken yet, am only around level 40. Honestly cannot remember playing my striker, i have one at 25 but i don't remember doing it.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

So imagine Mystic as a Sorc, except instead of all the i-frames a Sorc gets, they get Super Armor instead. Super Armor for every. loving. Ability. Holy poo poo.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

And orders of magnitude tankier and even with reduced life gain after a series of nerfs they can still come back up way faster than just about any class.

There were so many tears just before the mystic came out in the west about how the class was dead because she ate a series of nerfs just before release in korea and after a few months and even more nerfs 90% of the poo poo posts in the forums and reddit is about how loving strong she is.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
I know mystic is probably stronger than my striker but i just love going around looking like ken from street fighter and shoruykening people

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

JackBadass posted:

Very tanky, gameplay feels more fluid, more mobility, less damage, water dragons instead of fire clones. Striker is more of a street brawler and Mystic is the Avatar.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

:frogsiren: Island exploration event is a go:frogsiren:

Date: 2018/04/21
Time: 20:00/ 8 PM UTC
UTC clock
Countdown timer until the event starts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rfT2Gmnm94

The idea being to take out the guild boat and move people between the Epheria to the Mediah islands. To Discover them and poke the node managers

In total it should take around 4 hours and lead to enough knowledge to increase your energy cap by about 31 points

The reason I left out the Valencia islands is that those are particularly hellish to navigate and often require climbing cliffs and taking obscure routes to navigate the island itself. It would probably add another hour and a half to the trip as a whole.

Bringing 100 energy would help because some islands are a lot easier to discover by just giving the node manager some energy.

There are no requirements level or gear wise to join this expedition. Keep in mind that if you have to leave in a hurry in the middle and don't have time for us to sail you back to land then your character might have to swim back home when you return later. If this happen we'll try to send a fishing boat to pick your character up when you get back.

Ineptitude posted:

Hot tip: bring an alt that you don't care a lot about for this, seeing as everything gained is account wide, in case you get stuck out there i mean.

The event starts in Port Epheria So you should be there in time for the event.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Bring 10000 flax to burn imo

dudeman
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Katt posted:

Is this on the NA or EU servers?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

dudeman posted:

Is this on the NA or EU servers?

NA servers. It's where the guild is.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Got pri ogre, 2x duo witch, duo basi, duo cescent, and Tet kzarka this weekend. But most importantly I caught a bunch of koi

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

koi boi

stump collector
May 28, 2007

100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Katt posted:

Do I have to be in the guild to go? I just started playing a week ago. I'm in a guild that my brother is in but I don't even have chat setup properly yet and don't read text in-game.