Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i ate a lot of hamburger helper as a child :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lancemantis posted:

i ate a lot of hamburger helper as a child :smith:

Now you've graduated to Hamburger Senior Manager

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That's because HH is more calorically dense,

This is the key point that I think a lot of people aren't fully integrating. A lot of popular foods, and junk foods in general, are very calorically dense. Your stomach doesn't count calories, it counts volume, so a cup of food is a cup of food is a cup of food to it. But a cup of peanut butter has way more calories than a cup of milk.

Another difference is how long it takes your stomach to process it. A cup of milk goes through instantly, but a cup of celery takes a lot longer to break down.

Those are the big reasons they tell you to eat lots of vegetables if you're on a diet. low caloric density and high digestion time. Keeps you fuller, longer.

Apr 7, 2003

Yep. High caloric density is helpful when you're humping bricks across a yard for eight hours a day. It's a killer when you sit at a desk all day.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Apple holding a keynote proclaiming the death of computers and all y’all can talk about are vegans smdh

1. all stats have shown that mobile has overtaken computers for years already for all kinds of usage, more particularly the web so there's nothing new there
2. anybody who needs a computer for their work and needs to do things like "handle files" knows they'll keep a computer to do that anyway because a tablet or mobile is a stupid rear end form factor to do that and while peripherals can help, a thing like iOS is way too locked in to do a bunch of stuff
3. lol a crayon

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Now you've graduated to Hamburger Senior Manager

i have the masterful understanding of salt with "cream"/tomato sauces mixed with meat indistinguishable from textured vegetable protein

Apr 7, 2003

you should just eat rear end because it's very low in caloric content

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
shyp squandered $62M VC dollers chasing individual consumers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao there's gotta be a loving template for these "thanks for coming with us on our ~incredible journey~" articles

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

lmao there's gotta be a loving template for these "thanks for coming with us on our ~incredible journey~" articles

"we got a lot of comped meals and a nice addition to our Woodside homes"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ate all the Oreos posted:

theres a site that collects them: https://ourincrediblejourney.tumblr.com/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

theres a site that collects them: https://ourincrediblejourney.tumblr.com/

yeah i've seen it a few times, it's fun

also

quote:

In looking back at the posts I've written since starting Shyp, there's a theme of me ending with, "I can't wait for you to see what we do next." Even with this announcement, that sentiment remains the same. With all the learnings from building Shyp under our belt, I have no doubt the team will go on to do amazing, impactful things. I’m excited about what the future could hold. To that end, I can't wait for you to see what we do next.

i can't wait for you to see what our team, who are all fired effective immediately, will do next!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
1000 calories of egg whites is not the same as 1000 calories of HFCS solution in any real practical sense because one will make you feel extremely full and the other will probably just make you feel at least as hungry as you already are

and fast food is engineered by dudes with phds in chemistry to keep you hungry

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"im pretty sure this won't be an indelible resume stain that precludes these folks from going on to greatness!"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean I'm a ~serial entrepreneur~ so it definitely seems like another notch in my belt :smuggo:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
serial entrepreneur is by far may favourite euphemism for "bad at business"

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Another difference is how long it takes your stomach to process it. A cup of milk goes through instantly, but a cup of celery takes a lot longer to break down.

Those are the big reasons they tell you to eat lots of vegetables if you're on a diet. low caloric density and high digestion time. Keeps you fuller, longer.

Right. Which is why it's dumb to talk about calories in/out and easier to talk about things that grow and live on the planet vs things that are processed with added fats, starches, and sugars. Your digestive system is much more complex than a gasoline engine. You could probably eat 10000 calories of coconut oil a day and not gain weight but you're not going to feel super great either as your body struggles to process it and you fail to absorb half of it.

Apr 7, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

1000 calories of egg whites is not the same as 1000 calories of HFCS solution in any real practical sense because one will make you feel extremely full and the other will probably just make you feel at least as hungry as you already are

and fast food is engineered by dudes with phds in chemistry to keep you hungry

HFCS is bad because it's cheap compared to sugar, so it's easier for manufacturers to add it by the boatload to everything - not because of anything inherently different with it compared to sugar.

That said, no poo poo 1000 calories of protein is more filling. But 1000 calories of either at the end of the day represents the same weight gain potential.

Apr 7, 2003

"eating 1000 calories of HFCS is worse than eating 1000 calories of egg whites because you'll eat more than 1000 calories of HFCS" is a stupid loving argument that entirely misses the point: energy is energy and there is no inherently superior vessel for it and the "clean food" people are scamming.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
youre dumb as hell

Apr 7, 2003

Lol tell us more about your toxin cleanses.

Calories are calories. Once your nutrient needs are met it doesn't matter if you're getting your 2000 calories a day from fried potatoes or from chicken and rice.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

muckswirler posted:

Right. Which is why it's dumb to talk about calories in/out and easier to talk about things that grow and live on the planet vs things that are processed with added fats, starches, and sugars. Your digestive system is much more complex than a gasoline engine. You could probably eat 10000 calories of coconut oil a day and not gain weight but you're not going to feel super great either as your body struggles to process it and you fail to absorb half of it.

Gimme that sweet sweet olean

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tori is right. calory count is much more important than eating just lard out of paint buckets

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Gimme that sweet sweet olean

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Calories are calories. Once your nutrient needs are met it doesn't matter if you're getting your 2000 calories a day from fried potatoes or from chicken and rice.

why would you assume people who get most of their calories from pop and hot dogs are meeting their nutritional needs

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

muckswirler posted:

i only eat foods that totally clog up me to the point that the strain of making GBS threads burns more calories than the food has provided

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

why would you assume people who get most of their calories from pop and hot dogs are meeting their nutritional needs

he’s talking about obesity prevention, not proper macronutrient balance

Apr 7, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

You're missing the point again:Energy is energy and weight gain or loss comes down to calories in and calories out. Those calories are the same whether you get them from Whole Foods or from Arby's.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

arbys 5 for 5 probably made me who i am today

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hifi posted:

arbys 5 for 5 probably made me who i am today

america died the day they went 5.55

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cinci zoo sniper posted:

tori is right. calory count is much more important than eating just lard out of paint buckets
ah, the classic "pittsburgh sundae"

Apr 7, 2003

Proclaiming Panera as "healthier" than McDonald's or that Whole Foods is "healthier" than Safeway either means you're really dumb and bought into the advertising, or more likely that you're just putting a more favorable face on the fact that you don't want to be near poors.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Proclaiming Panera as "healthier" than McDonald's or that Whole Foods is "healthier" than Safeway either means you're really dumb and bought into the advertising, or more likely that you're just putting a more favorable face on the fact that you don't want to be near poors.

por que no los dos?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I eat a lot of panera-esque stuff right now, i dont think its a health food but i generally use like 1/4 of the vat of dressing they give you and at least i'm ahead on sodium a bit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i live in an old ethnic enclave, next to a butcher and a fruit and veg market. i make almost every meal from fresh ingredients, from scratch. i still have a little spare tire going because i burn approximately no calories per day

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FMguru posted:

ah, the classic "pittsburgh sundae"

i think there was goon diet like that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

metabolic system is a thermodynamic process inasmuch as computers are thermodynamic processes

viz. they are, but that's not the whole story. there's signalling and weirdo bugs and poo poo

"computers are just heaters, energy in and energy out" is true only for buttcoin asics, "metabolisms are just heaters, energy in and energy out" is true only for particularly unsophisticated single-celled organisms

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

the brain uses loads of energy so maybe if you put more effort into your posting you wouldn't be so fat hth

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think there was goon diet like that

lol "my doctor wants to start me on cholesterol medication :(" lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you dont believe that there is significant signalling in metabolic systems obviously that means that injecting 40 milliliters of insulin will leave you fine because its not that important