Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

350 lbs
no human can lift it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
those $399K SLI GTX 580 setups

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

show 👏 us 👏 the 👏 architecture 👏 roadmap

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

repiv posted:

show 👏 us 👏 the 👏 architecture 👏 roadmap

No roadmaps, only flowers now

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
deep learning flowers: still a better use than mining

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I was stoked at the OUT OF STOCK? slide and he was just like

srry guys its out of stock............... next slide!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
i just tuned into this

what's the deal with this guy's jacket? did he hit the stage riding a motorcycle and wearing a helmet?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

That's just his uniform, like Steve Jobs's turtleneck

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Rastor posted:

That's just his uniform, like Steve Jobs's turtleneck

so it's "his thing." got it, thanks.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

so it's "his thing." got it, thanks.

Basically. At this point its definitely just cause its expected.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
this is boring as hell

let me know what sort of mining card I'll be able to buy whenever he gets around to it

(I kid, I kid)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/JMBooyah/status/978690591117774848

Just stick to our shootymans and announce the new lineup pls.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
No new gaming products in 2018.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Uber, but as a desk job.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
VR remote-control demo of a real-life car :lol:

watch NVIDIA cause an accident live on-stream

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Gamification of the AI gig economy.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ufarn posted:

https://twitter.com/JMBooyah/status/978690591117774848

Just stick to our shootymans and announce the new lineup pls.
I'm confused how one accident causes things to grind to a halt. Especially after seeing the video of the accident. Hello, it's night, and you're dressed in black slowly waddling across a highway nowhere near a crosswalk. A human being would have and did hit that woman given there was a human driver in the vehicle. Which begs the question, why aren't the uber self driving cars using something like FLIR?

It reminds me of a video from the china thread where some guy is standing still in a crosswalk texting at night while dressed in white with a bright white light behind him. He gets rammed by the car with the camera the video is shot from, and the driver had maybe 1/2 a second to react if that because you simply don't see him until he's pretty much coming into contact with the bumper.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 27, 2018

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
We are all the eggs in Uber’s profit omelette.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Khorne posted:

I'm confused how one accident causes things to grind to a halt. Especially after seeing the video of the accident. Hello, it's night, and you're dressed in black slowly waddling across a highway nowhere near a crosswalk. A human being would have hit that woman. Which begs the question, why aren't the uber self driving cars using something like FLIR?
It's just PR, basically. Uber seem to ignore all safety measures and make for bad partners to show off the technology.

I think that's all there is to it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Suckered into watching another 2.5 hour presentation about things that arent video games. And again I was glad I did.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Khorne posted:

I'm confused how one accident causes things to grind to a halt. Especially after seeing the video of the accident. Hello, it's night, and you're dressed in black slowly waddling across a highway nowhere near a crosswalk. A human being would have hit that woman. Which begs the question, why aren't the uber self driving cars using something like FLIR?

The visible light video is questionable, others have taken video at the same location at night and it's way brighter. Having driven in the area myself the other videos seem more right to me. The driver would have likely seen her if his eyes were on the road. Then even if it was magically as dark as the video shows, the car has a number of sensors that also should have detected the pedestrian and braked.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Seeking investors now for my demolition derby with VR drivers controlling real cars.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Did you see how she was dressed, she was asking for it! I shout as I defend a corporation for having their technology do literally the exact opposite thing that it is supposed to do resulting in a non shareholder dying

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Welp, what's the next event that Nvidia usually attends? Computex?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Khorne posted:

That's what I thought, but whatever video device they were using is garbo. Saw a youtube video where someone drove past the same place where the woman was hit, and it is WAY better lit. Cellphones have got far better video, the speed and other diagnostic information is redacted, and there's this article about how while Google's self-driving cars require on average one intervention every 1000 miles, Uber struggles to make one intervention in thirteen miles.

Links later when I get back to my desk and can look up my histories.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Khorne posted:

Infrared (FLIR) has its own visibility problems which are similar to those of visible light (bright reflections or direct light sources washing out the feed), but to a certain extent worse because the humans responsible for the machine can't see it. Think about "night vision" security cameras with IR flood lamps for example.

The Uber cars have LIDAR which should have easily seen her, but for some reason did not.

Now I of course agree that had a human driver hit the person in the exact same situation no one would have batted an eye and it'd just be written off as yet another idiot running out in front of 3 tons of metal, but the Uber car 100% should have been able to detect her and at least try to avoid a collision. It did nothing, so something went very wrong there.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

can we change the thread title to THE MORE YOU BUY THE MORE YOU SAVE (350lbs)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

wolrah posted:

Now I of course agree that had a human driver hit the person in the exact same situation no one would have batted an eye and it'd just be written off as yet another idiot running out in front of 3 tons of metal, but the Uber car 100% should have been able to detect her and at least try to avoid a collision. It did nothing, so something went very wrong there.
I 100% agree something went very wrong. It's good to know they have LIDAR. I'm fine with uber's self driving being suspended, but nvidia saying they're stopping testing or other legitimate firms saying it seems silly.

Self driving is the future. People are going to be sour every time there is an accident.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's what I thought, but whatever video device they were using is garbo. Saw a youtube video where someone drove past the same place where the woman was hit, and it is WAY better lit. Cellphones have got far better video, the speed and other diagnostic information is redacted, and there's this article about how while Google's self-driving cars require on average one intervention every 1000 miles, Uber struggles to make one intervention in thirteen miles.

Links later when I get back to my desk and can look up my histories.
Dang. Why is Uber using something so awful? If their rate is really so poor it shouldn't even be legal to test it on roads. I mean, I guess their defense is they have a safety driver to take over if something goes wrong. But, you could probably do much better than one intervention every 13 miles if your competitors are already at 1k.

Winks posted:

The visible light video is questionable, others have taken video at the same location at night and it's way brighter. Having driven in the area myself the other videos seem more right to me. The driver would have likely seen her if his eyes were on the road. Then even if it was magically as dark as the video shows, the car has a number of sensors that also should have detected the pedestrian and braked.
I'm pretty sure the driver was a woman, and she didn't react at all beyond looking surprised she was about to hit someone.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 27, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

repiv posted:

Welp, what's the next event that Nvidia usually attends? Computex?

Computex is June 5-9, E3 is June 12-14, the pain for those needing a graphics card is now-forever.

e: they apparently launched the 1080 at DreamHack, which is June 16-19 this year.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 27, 2018

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

ItBurns posted:

We'll see who's optimistic and who's delusional after Nvidia announces its next datacenter or crypto card without any updates on their gaming line.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Uber has been on thin ice since forever based on really shady business practices and outright skirting/flouting local laws. I don't think anyone trusts them to investigate themselves to a satisfactory degree about anything.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
hmm maybe I'll stop overclocking my 970 since it seems I'll be using it forever

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
You are assuming it didn't see her, I think the car did see her and was thirsty for blood.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Alpha Mayo posted:

You are assuming it didn't see her, I think the car did see her and was thirsty for blood.

It may have been a mistake to train it using GTAV footage

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Uber has been on thin ice since forever based on really shady business practices and outright skirting/flouting local laws. I don't think anyone trusts them to investigate themselves to a satisfactory degree about anything.

Yea every time I read up on anything Uber it seems they just continue to push their business with no regard to anything outside be it safety or employee quality, etc. Lyft at least seemed to have a little better grasp on how to not push a new market without acting like a complete dick to those around you from what I have read, but time will tell I suppose.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Uber’s self driving car thing, much like their maps thing, is based off them starting off as an app dependent on Google Maps libraries and Google Ventures VC cash; then panicking when they found out all their routing info was being shared with Google and Google themselves were working on a competing car hailing app that would feature Google’s brand familiarity and tech know-how.

They had a conniption and an immediate need to start buying startups and dive into self driving cars because they got big the easy way by taking Google’s work and money, only to find they actually were nothing more than an R&D lab to make an app that does the same thing with more money and a heaping of Material Design and cheerful Google Doodles.

As for the legal stuff, Uber did what it had to do to get into places like Chicago and Las Vegas where the taxi industry is extremely politically well-connected and possibly mobbed up. Which is to say, it operated illegally just long enough to create the public outcry for it’s service, because without the trial run the voting public wouldn’t have cared. Much like socialized medicine, it sounds scary until you try it.

They did that in Nevada and I don’t blame them for a second, since the headlines in Vegas regarding taxis are alternating between “well connected person leaves TA, former politician takes their place” and “why can’t we stop the taxis from taking us halfway across the city to move us five blocks?” The combination of good ol boy poo poo, tourist complaining of long hauling, combined with their inability to give a poo poo about residents because a half million drunk gamblers in a one mile radius pay better, spelled obvious opportunity.

For what it’s worth, when these things happen, Lyft’s position is “hi, we’re a company like Uber”. They move in Uber’s wake, up they let Uber do the actually-kind-of-necessary lawbreaking and subsequent lawyering and community rallying and congressman-phonebanking, and then apply in the rideshare infrastructure Uber pressures to happen. At rideshare hearings, Uber is usually the biggest representative with Lyft dropping some pamphlets to explain that they exist too.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 27, 2018

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
uber also 'obtained' the medical records of a woman who was raped by an uber driver (who was never background checked) in an effort to discredit her

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/technology/uber-self-driving-cars-arizona.html

quote:

Waymo, formerly the self-driving car project of Google, said that in tests on roads in California last year, its cars went an average of nearly 5,600 miles before the driver had to take control from the computer to steer out of trouble. //As of March, Uber was struggling to meet its target of 13 miles per “intervention”// in Arizona, according to 100 pages of company documents obtained by The New York Times and two people familiar with the company’s operations in the Phoenix area but not permitted to speak publicly about it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Google's self-driving cars require on average one intervention every 1000 miles, Uber struggles to make one intervention in thirteen miles.

Google is at ~5500 miles between interventions these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Craptacular! posted:

Uber’s self driving car thing, much like their maps thing, is based off them starting off as an app dependent on Google Maps libraries and Google Ventures VC cash; then panicking when they found out all their routing info was being shared with Google and Google themselves were working on a competing car hailing app that would feature Google’s brand familiarity and tech know-how.

They had a conniption and an immediate need to start buying startups and dive into self driving cars because they got big the easy way by taking Google’s work and money, only to find they actually were nothing more than an R&D lab to make an app that does the same thing with more money and a heaping of Material Design and cheerful Google Doodles.

As for the legal stuff, Uber did what it had to do to get into places like Chicago and Las Vegas where the taxi industry is extremely politically well-connected and possibly mobbed up. Which is to say, it operated illegally just long enough to create the public outcry for it’s service, because without the trial run the voting public wouldn’t have cared. Much like socialized medicine, it sounds scary until you try it.

They did that in Nevada and I don’t blame them for a second, since the headlines in Vegas regarding taxis are alternating between “well connected person leaves TA, former politician takes their place” and “why can’t we stop the taxis from taking us halfway across the city to move us five blocks?” The combination of good ol boy poo poo, tourist complaining of long hauling, combined with their inability to give a poo poo about residents because a half million drunk gamblers in a one mile radius pay better, spelled obvious opportunity.

I was thinking more along the lines of their Greyball program which they used in multiple markets. The tl;dr of it is that they could tell if a government official was using the Uber app and would send fake data to those IPs in order to deceive authorities who were looking to crackdown on their business practices.

They were pretty lovely to competing services (like Lyft) in Portland and other places, and would encourage their employees to hail a Lyft and cancel, sending their drivers on wild goose chases.

Also there was the matter of the Uber app retaining data and tracking users on iPhones even after deleting the app. They got a call from Tim Cook on that one when they were caught (naturally, they tried to hide this behaviour based on geo-fencing the app within the Cupertino area).

Oh and also the whole huge sexual harassment thing with their board.

gently caress Uber.