Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

I'm starting to like the sound of the ff9 port more and more. One thing I didn't like about the 12 port was the ability to max LP. Does ff9 do something similar?

The PC version comes with options to cheat wildly and in different ways, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

NikkolasKing posted:

With VIII they were so proud of every animation that you were going to see them all in excruciating detail again and again and again.

When I replayed VIII I ended up using mostly Zell and Irvine because they had the shortest attack animations. All the female characters have some pointless flair to theirs and even Squall's slow run up to the enemies got tiresome after a while. Considering that most non-boss fights are easily beaten by autoattacking those tiny bits of extra animation really add up.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

You have to win the first two games, but if you lose you can just try again, there’s no penalty other than the cards you lose.

You only get one shot at the third game, but the game continues if you lose. It’s just you get a nice accessory if you win.

i sincerely do not understand tetra master so this will be fun -____-

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

bloom posted:

When I replayed VIII I ended up using mostly Zell and Irvine because they had the shortest attack animations. All the female characters have some pointless flair to theirs and even Squall's slow run up to the enemies got tiresome after a while. Considering that most non-boss fights are easily beaten by autoattacking those tiny bits of extra animation really add up.

i'm having deja vu

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

The PC version comes with options to cheat wildly and in different ways, yes.

If I pick it up I will just ignore it, but it annoys me that it is there.

Edit: Actually I'm wondering and now wish I had access to the cheats in order to test this: Can a max level Garnet use summon magic in the first parts of the game?

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 27, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

esperterra posted:

i'm having deja vu

One ff thread in one subforum just isn't enough for how much I love talking about final fantasy ok.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

bloom posted:

One ff thread in one subforum just isn't enough for how much I love talking about final fantasy ok.

I clearly feel the same

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

bloom posted:

Wait, are you saying that when you are playing final fantasy 7 again you don't use mimic+knights of the round on every random encounter?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

Edit: Actually I'm wondering and now wish I had access to the cheats in order to test this: Can a max level Garnet use summon magic in the first parts of the game?

accessibility features are p much always good imo, and i wish more games did it tbh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Nobody does because a) The game does a really bad job of explaining all the mechanics and actually the tutorial has bits where it flat out refuses to tell you whats going on and says you'll have to figure that out on your own and b) The numbers have almost no relevance because the way the game works it secretly generates a random number and adds the cards stat to determine your final score and the range on the random number is so goddamn loving large that your card's stats have a negligible impact on the outcome.

lobster22221 posted:

Those features are good, why is their optional existence bad?

You need the items to learn them regardless of level, but I believe yes if you cheat the items and the AP necessary it works.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 27, 2018

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Nobody understands tetra master, including the people who designed it.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

accessibility features are p much always good imo, and i wish more games did it tbh

I suppose so, It just feels wrong when they go as far as having an instant max level button(Assuming it is like ff10 and 12) instead of disabling battles, adding an actual easy mode, or some other solution.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 27, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

I suppose so, It just feels wrong when they go as far as having an instant max level button(Assuming it is like ff10 and 12) instead of disabling battles, adding an easy mode, or some other solution.

One can be safely edited through value manipulation and one can't is basically what it comes down to. These ports, especially the ones like FFIX where the original source code is more gone than GRIN, aren't remakes, they're just ports so any new feature is a bit of a bonus and they're not scoped to do anything that fancy.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

One can be safely edited through value manipulation and one can't is basically what it comes down to. These ports, especially the ones like FFIX where the original source code is more gone than GRIN, aren't remakes, they're just ports so any new feature is a bit of a bonus and they're not scoped to do anything that fancy.

That is true. An honestly I'm just being snobby when I should not be. Sorry. Combat in ff9 really is way too slow, so adding ways around it is not a bad idea.

Did they really lose the source code for 9?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nobody ever thought to archive video game source code or master assets until well into the 2000s.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

That is true. An honestly I'm just being snobby when I should not be. Sorry. Combat in ff9 really is way too slow, so adding ways around it is not a bad idea.

Did they really lose the source code for 9?

So, uh, yeah. Data storage of source code wasn't a huge priority for like, anyone until the PS2 era and Japanese firms were notorious about it. Game series like Megaman would have to recode each iteration because they wouldn't save any of the code once it shipped so they could use all that drive space for the next project. In FFIX's case it doesn't help when you do a some production out of a way too expensive office in Hawaii that you close when you realize its terrible financial idea.

From what I gather this port is basically a kludge where they took the higher quality backgrounds and art assets that were already included but compressed to hell on the PSX and basically uncompressed them. There isn't anything new in the game, but it all looks better because its no longer being crushed to fit a CD and run on a piece of hardware struggling to render 3D.

Also the GRIN joke is double edged; when GRIN was being given the run-around by SE while making the FF12 sequel that got canned, SE demanded they fax them the source code of the game they were working on. Pissed, GRIN faxed them code for FF12. They got notes back on the code for FF12 from the SE home office that after reviewing the source code the game as designed "Wasn't Final Fantasy enough"

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

tetra master is far stupider than anyone ever gave it credit for at twelve years old. the gamefaqs guide for it is very impressive

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

lobster22221 posted:

Yes she can. There was nothing stopping you in the original version of the game from just grinding until your eyes bleed to get the MP to use one of the lower tier summons at that point in the game. It was a tactic specifically used for Garnet Solo Challenge Runs.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

So, uh, yeah. Data storage of source code wasn't a huge priority for like, anyone until the PS2 era and Japanese firms were notorious about it. Game series like Megaman would have to recode each iteration because they wouldn't save any of the code once it shipped so they could use all that drive space for the next project. In FFIX's case it doesn't help when you do a some production out of a way too expensive office in Hawaii that you close when you realize its terrible financial idea.

Christ. Those must have either been the happiest or most stressed developers ever. As for storage, I guess we really are spoiled by how cheap it has gotten. You would think that after they finished porting a game, they would learn to keep the code. Or do you mean they recoded the sequel and didn't reuse the engine?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

You can always save scum between matches, there’s a save moogle one screen right.

Plus as mentioned Tetra Master is incredibly random and pretty drat terrible and the best part is you never have to play again after the tournament.

As for Hot and Cold, playing on the overworld is pretty drat fun even if the clues can be vague (but at least you get a picture and two in-game clues if you use the hint moogle) and the rewards are fantastic, but the actual timed minigame is way too finicky for me to actively like it. It’s not terrible like Tetra Master or most of the FFX minigames but I’m not going to play again once I get all the Chocographs.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 27, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

Christ. Those must have either been the happiest or most stressed developers ever. As for storage, I guess we really are spoiled by how cheap it has gotten. You would think that after they finished porting a game, they would learn to keep the code. Or do you mean they recoded the sequel and didn't reuse the engine?

They would dump everything on the drives when the game went to market, the game would be a hit, and then theyd have to recode the sequel from the ground up because all the code is gone. It was not a good process but in an era when remasters or remakes werent really a thing and you couldnt patch games what did it matter outside of weirder cases like again the poor Megaman Team?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

You need the items to learn them regardless of level, but I believe yes if you cheat the items and the AP necessary it works.

Garnet starts with some of the summons learned, but she doesn't have enough MP to cast them. I've never tried to grind levels to see if she could get enough MP to use them before the part of the game where she's supposed to be able to summon--I wonder if there's some sort of artificial MP cap to prevent that.

lobster22221 posted:

I suppose so, It just feels wrong when they go as far as having an instant max level button(Assuming it is like ff10 and 12) instead of disabling battles, adding an actual easy mode, or some other solution.

The max level thing is whatever, but I think the max AP cheat is actually quite nice.

I think, on paper, FFIX's skill system is pretty cool. You get access to whatever abilities your equipment has, but if you take that gear off, you lose those abilities. If you wear the equipment long enough, you can learn the abilities permanently. The problem, in my opinion, is that it didn't really go far enough. It's very realistic to get enough AP to permanently learn abilities without too much trouble for most of the game, for example, so you don't run into the "I need to hang on to this piece of equipment in case I need this skill" scenario very often. At the same time, equipment still exists in a pretty well-defined hierarchy, and sticking with a lovely weapon because you want the skill that's on it is basically never worth it except for your casters, so it doesn't really introduce any sort of choice.

It might've been cool if they'd flattened out the equipment curve a bit, maybe made level more important than gear in determining your strength so that your equipment choices are dictated more by what abilities they unlock than by the equipment's relative strength. Then maybe make the method of permanently learning a skill different so that it becomes something you don't really do all that often for most of the game. Maybe have equipment synthesis let the new equipment keep the abilities of both its components. Basically just really play into the "your equipment determines your skills" thing.

As it stands, though, turning on the auto-max AP cheat thing basically just lets you play the game normally and skip a relatively rare grind. You learn abilities as you find the equipment that gives you them and that's all. Sometimes you'd have to fight some extra battles to master skills, sure, but it's not such a core part of the game that removing it makes the game any easier than it already is.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

lobster22221 posted:

Wait, are you saying that when you are playing final fantasy 7 again you don't use MP ABSORB+knights of the round on every random encounter?

Fixed that for you :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Harrow posted:

I've never tried to grind levels to see if she could get enough MP to use them before the part of the game where she's supposed to be able to summon--I wonder if there's some sort of artificial MP cap to prevent that.

Nope, you can definitely just spend way too long beating up snakes and goblins and then you can summon before disc 2.

Is it worth it? If you're crazy and doing a challenge run, sure. Otherwise, ehh... novelty, I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tabata is heading up a new studio: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/27/new-square-enix-studio-luminous-productions-led-hajime-tabata-ffxv-team/

quote:

Square Enix announced that the company has established a new development studio called Luminous Productions with the purpose of developing new AAA titles and innovative game content to a global audience.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That’s great, guy and his team earned it for making an actual AAA game in a somewhat reasonable timeframe for SquareEnix.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I mean, if you call 10 years somewhat reasonable by Square Enix standards, sure :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

seiferguy posted:

I mean, if you call 10 years somewhat reasonable by Square Enix standards, sure :v:

FF15 under Tabata took 3 years at most

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish FFXV's team had been able to rework the story to accommodate the open world.

As it is, the story's an absolute mess. If you don't play the DLC episodes when they take place in the story--even with Ignis's big endgame spoilers--the character development between the four main party members is really disjointed and kind of moves in fits and starts. Almost nothing happens plot-wise in the first like eight chapters of the game, and then chapters 9 through 12 or so are just a complete blur. (Why are some of these even considered chapters? Are they just padding the number so they end at 15? Come on, now.) And in that "this is the actual plot of the game" portion, you're completely on rails, and the story isn't even all that coherent for it, so it never feels worth it.

The best part of the game is running around the open world killing monsters and camping with your bros. I wish there'd been an opportunity to rewrite the story so that sort of thing could be retained throughout the game, even as traumatic things happen and people leave and rejoin and all of that. Maybe a second open world zone in Tenebrae or something like that.

I guess I should be impressed the game exists at all. The way the story just exists as these weird, blurred-together fragments highlights how little there was to work with and how little time there was to make it fit together.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

The company's CEO said that they wanted internal development teams to have more of an identity (Tokyo RPG Factory and now Luminous Productions) similar to how big Western publishers brand their developers. It looks like it's effectively BD2 with a new name and a streamlined hierarchy with Tabata reporting directly to management.

Mega64 posted:

That’s great, guy and his team earned it for making an actual AAA game in a somewhat reasonable timeframe for SquareEnix.

Tabata's always struck me as an ambitious man who wants to work his way to the top but he's actually good at delivering the goods. In less than five years, he rebooted FFXV, restructured/headhunted Business Development 2, oversaw the development of Luminous into a working engine, shipped the fastest selling FF title, and supported the game a year after its launch. Along with Yoshida, SE Japan's recent success in the AAA console business has been dependent on an up and coming generation of talent that is less auteur driven and more in tune with the market.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Whew! Really enjoying FFVI! Just clowned Kefka at Narshe and now I'm wondering what to do. Are there optional things open to me right now or is chasing down Terra my only real concern?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

apophenium posted:

Whew! Really enjoying FFVI! Just clowned Kefka at Narshe and now I'm wondering what to do. Are there optional things open to me right now or is chasing down Terra my only real concern?

FF6 is not a game really chock-full of optional things to start. There's some stuff you can do if you want more plot development on the side but you don't get any physical rewards from doing so.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mega64 posted:

As for Hot and Cold, playing on the overworld is pretty drat fun even if the clues can be vague (but at least you get a picture and two in-game clues if you use the hint moogle) and the rewards are fantastic, but the actual timed minigame is way too finicky for me to actively like it. It’s not terrible like Tetra Master or most of the FFX minigames but I’m not going to play again once I get all the Chocographs.

There were so many times I got right next to the target and trying to figure out where it was. The kind of thing where I wound up looking online whether it goes off the chocobo's beak or feet, and nobody knew.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

apophenium posted:

Don't worry about optional things right now. There are a few times when some side paths will net you cool stuff, but in general things are fairly linear for the first half of the game or so. When you reach the second half of the game (you'll know when this is--it's not really ambiguous) things get a lot less linear and there's a ton of optional stuff to run around doing.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Harrow posted:

Don't worry about optional things right now. There are a few times when some side paths will net you cool stuff, but in general things are fairly linear for the first half of the game or so. When you reach the second half of the game (you'll know when this is--it's not really ambiguous) things get a lot less linear and there's a ton of optional stuff to run around doing.

Ah, the Final Fantasy 13 approach. :classiclol:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Ah, the Final Fantasy 13 approach. :classiclol:

Still more open than XIII in the first half and way, way more open in the second half.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sunning posted:

Along with Yoshida, SE Japan's recent success in the AAA console business has been dependent on an up and coming generation of talent that is less auteur driven and more in tune with the market.
How were Nier:A's sales? The phrase "auteur driven" only makes me think of one name these days now that Kojima's totally screwed, and while I still don't know why SE greenlit N:A on so many levels I'm really loving happy they did so I'm hoping to hear "they were good" here.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How were Nier:A's sales? The phrase "auteur driven" only makes me think of one name these days now that Kojima's totally screwed, and while I still don't know why SE greenlit N:A on so many levels I'm really loving happy they did so I'm hoping to hear "they were good" here.

It's the best selling ps4 game of all time I think. Not sure about other platforms.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
S/E has amazingly dysfunctional project management and they could really stand to parachute in somebody who knows what they are doing in that regard. Maybe Tabata is such a person idk but it sure as poo poo ain't Nomura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the best selling ps4 game of all time I think

That's not remotely true at all, where are you quoting this from