Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

bird food bathtub posted:

It's great to have a lot of metally dakka but everything needs some red to go fasta.

Red feet make it go faster.

After the wash, you go back over it with the base colour again but leave the recesses, then hit the edges with a highlight? Also I remembered how much I hate painting teeth. They'll hopefully look a bit better after a brown wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

So I just did my first two-part cast. It was, uhh, mixed results. I've cut about a third of the way through what appeared at first to be a completely solid block of useless silicon and now the center bit is starting to be able to peel apart without cutting. Maybe I can salvage this mold but for future reference I guess make the thing almost wet with mold release?

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-03300-Si...d+Release+Spray

I used this stuff and sprayed it until everything had a layer then let it dry. Guessing I didn't use enough?

edit: Also every drop of polyurethane I poured in came right out the bottom of the mold. I had a mat there to catch it so just means it's kind of annoying and a learning mistake but what do I do for that, get a small vice and clamp it together with a little tension?

The release spray is great for pulling masters out of a mold without tearing the latex, but it’s not that great at keeping latex layers apart.
Latex doesn’t want to stick to anything besides latex, but it does that really well.

Skip the spray, when you’re pouring your second half of your mold onto the first; just coat all the exposed latex in a thin sheen of vasoline. It’ll likely still need to be cut/peeled at the edges, but it’ll come apart without much fuss.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Hey i need a recommendation. Does anyone know of a good Purple colored spray primer? I didn't turn up anything on Amazon and don't have a clue where to look otherwise. I can work with Matte but metallic would be the ideal.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Jumpoff posted:

Hey i need a recommendation. Does anyone know of a good Purple colored spray primer? I didn't turn up anything on Amazon and don't have a clue where to look otherwise. I can work with Matte but metallic would be the ideal.

Army Painter has a purple spray. I've never used it but their colored sprays are generally pretty good. The work like primer even though not advertised as such.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Merton Blask posted:

The release spray is great for pulling masters out of a mold without tearing the latex, but it’s not that great at keeping latex layers apart.
Latex doesn’t want to stick to anything besides latex, but it does that really well.

Skip the spray, when you’re pouring your second half of your mold onto the first; just coat all the exposed latex in a thin sheen of vasoline. It’ll likely still need to be cut/peeled at the edges, but it’ll come apart without much fuss.

I will have to try this tonight, doing the second half of my second mold. I was finally able to successfully pour some polyurethane and make a casting from my first one so I'm in the right ballpark just have to get better.

My current mix comes out white, and I am currently priming white as the base for my army color. I would like to add some color so I know when I have primed the bits well, and also to have different colors if I start making terrain and stuff like I kind of want to. What kind of dye works well for this? I did some experimenting with dye we had in a closet and it started screwing with the properties of the casting.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

I will have to try this tonight, doing the second half of my second mold. I was finally able to successfully pour some polyurethane and make a casting from my first one so I'm in the right ballpark just have to get better.

My current mix comes out white, and I am currently priming white as the base for my army color. I would like to add some color so I know when I have primed the bits well, and also to have different colors if I start making terrain and stuff like I kind of want to. What kind of dye works well for this? I did some experimenting with dye we had in a closet and it started screwing with the properties of the casting.

I've used alumalite resin dye to good effect

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Booyah- posted:

Army Painter has a purple spray. I've never used it but their colored sprays are generally pretty good. The work like primer even though not advertised as such.

OK, it didn't show up for me. I'm familiar with their stuff and like it when I've used it for my 40k Orks so I'll give that a go if I can find some.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
The compressor I have is an unbelievable piece of poo poo. Can someone recommend a good one? Cost doesn't really matter as long as it isn't stupidly expensive. If it matters, I'm using an Iwata HP-CS.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Sparmax TC-610H

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Sparmax TC-610H

:emptyquote:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have the Sparmax TC-620X, and I love it. I bet the TC-610H is just as awesome.

Sparmax makes the Iwata Compressors last I knew. So, you are getting the Iwata quality without the name.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Sparmax TC-610H

What makes this $250 better than a Master TC-20T?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Booley posted:

My seal of approval.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I usually recommend the TC-20T. I was just sharing that I have a Sparmax and really like it.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Don't see many stores selling that model. Any recommendations for discount retailer in USA?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Booley posted:

Availability outside of the US and a e s t h e t i c s.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

TC-620x is better than the 610? I'm finding it cheaper online.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The TC-620x has 1 regulator with 2 airbrush hookups.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I only use cheap Chinese compressors to spite Tterrible

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Before I bought my Sparmax, I had a 20gallon construction compressor which I bought because my initial tankless one broke.

... cuz if 1 gallon is good, 20 is better right?

It was so loud that when it kicked on, I would jump like a foot in the air and slosh paint all over.

Never ever ever use a construction compressor to airbrush in your house. (Unless you fancy spending the time/money to run airhose from your garage to your painting room.)

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Wasn’t there a guy spraying with a construction compressor at like 100psi in here

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Increased pressure means you can paint faster.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Get a Master Airbrush Model TC-40T on Amazon for $120 free shipping. Runs very quiet and takes up the space of a soccer ball.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hixson posted:

I only use cheap Chinese compressors to spite Tterrible

Do you paint left or right handed?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Do you paint?

Yeah

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Do you paint left or right handed?

He doesn't have any right hands to paint with.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

That's great, friend.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

My airbrush isn't spraying and I see bubbles coming up in the paint cup. Any advice?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Pyrolocutus posted:

My airbrush isn't spraying and I see bubbles coming up in the paint cup. Any advice?

Most likely a clogged nozzle.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pyrolocutus posted:

99% of the time there's clogged paint in the brass tip.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Pendent posted:

That sounds like a GW wash. If you don’t shake them well enough they dry with a definite glossy finish. I had that happen a few times with Agrax Earthshade before figuring out what was going on.

This was it, the second coat dried matte and all is well.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bandai has figured out a way to make pre-shaded model kits by suing two layers of plastic of varying thickness

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Tried Rustoleum Satin Bronze, and AP Strong Tone.

Anyone have experience with Rustoleum Metallic Paint/Primer?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Bandai has figured out a way to make pre-shaded model kits by suing two layers of plastic of varying thickness

Whaaaat.

Have they done anything with it yet?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I primed my Legion miniatures about 48 hours ago and then did a quick Zenithal highlight 24 hours ago. I went to do some painting today and they are still a little bit tacky. Did I do something wrong? I used the Rustoleum 2x primer.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It might be a weird interaction between the miniature plastic and the paint. Reaper Bones had a similar problem, but after you wait long enough it should stabilize.

(It might take much longer than you'd like.)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guy Goodbody posted:

Their molds must be insane.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

Whaaaat.

Have they done anything with it yet?

Yeah, they're producing snap together kits (I think) that are basically comparable in quality to PVC statues, for less than half the price (approx $60 instead of the average around $150). Was brought up on the Gunpla thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am3TYssO55w

Note this is the same company that figured out how to make eyes out of multiple colours of plastic for their line of character busts.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Their molds must be insane.

The sprues are fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guy Goodbody posted:

The sprues are fun

It's amazing how much work and money had to go into something so useless.