Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ruzihm posted:

The American revolution was the result class struggle between both the bourgeoisie and the masses of America vs. the nobility of great Britain. Basically the last nail in the casket for Feudalism in America.

I wish this was in any way true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

dont even fink about it posted:

It's halfway true in that that's the line they pitched to the actual soldiers

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

ikanreed posted:

actual soldiers

https://twitter.com/dril/status/732346442761834496

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

dont even fink about it posted:

:shrug: its not to say that the bourgeois didn't turn around and stab the masses in the back afterwards but that's what happens when class collaboration against a common enemy doesn't have that enemy around anymore.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Main Paineframe posted:

the American revolution wasn't
Could've just stopped right there. The American revolution stands out from other revolutions for not being one in the first place.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Are you making fun of me? I can't tell.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

These students were raised with the idea that individual reason is downstream from group identity. Then along came the 2016 election to validate that point of view! If reason and deliberation are central to democracy, how on earth did Donald Trump get elected?

drat that's good stuff.

"The kids ask, if crusty old conservative white men are so wise, rational, and deliberative, why did we elect a boorish babbling moron celebrity President of the United States, well...um...hmm uhhh...well I'd love to explain it to them but alas their stunted child brains just wouldn't understand so unfortunately I don't need to even attempt to justify it."

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it would probably be more accurate to describe it as The American Secession

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

new and exciting idea: why don’t we call it the american war of independence

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

One from history, another typical NYTimes boner here, carrying water for the Bush administration; and not the post-9/11 bless the heroes Jesus Bush administration, this is mid 2006, AFTER it emerged that the administration had tricked the NYTimes into publishing bogus horseshit to lend credibility to the invasion, AFTER Iraq had become an obviously irredeemable gently caress-up, AFTER Katrina, the motherfucking New York Times is still going to edit publicly available information out of its articles in order to satisfy the tremendously vain, grouchy cocks in Bush administration and their petty, Freedom Fries style Orwellian fixations.

and here is the poo poo

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 23:06 on Mar 26, 2018

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

new and exciting idea: why don’t we call it the american war of independence

It's the war of British aggression.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if you want to post about american independence why don't you make a thread for it ffs

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Jose posted:

if you want to post about american independence why don't you make a thread for it ffs

u mad bro?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
make me IK of the failing new york times thread so i can probe ppl for posting about things beside the failing new york times and related failing fonts of establishment wisdom

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
https://twitter.com/dentristcad/status/978260527158906880

e: oh wait i just noticed that this is just the plain ol' times instead of the new york times. sorry

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
Decorum.... decorum never changes.

I was interested in finding old articles that are just as bad as the ones today and ran across an old David Brooks article from July 6, 1854, on page 4:

*snip* in which the article references some event from the prior week it assumes the reader recalls, and says "We expect this from the House, but Senate, you're better than this!"

I tried to figure out what was so contentious in the Senate at the time, but couldn't. The front page article has an awful recitation of senate procedure--amendments, tabling bills, a canal, mail steamships. However, another front page article has Rep. Churchwell of Tennessee denying he pulled a gun on a Rep. Collum a week or two prior on the floor of the House, and producing cards from people saying they did not see it happen. The author of the article tries to say, as one might imagine an 1854 writer for the Times would, "Yeah, yeah, we were all there, and we all saw you do it." So if the Senate was starting to have guns pulled on the floor against other members, maybe the TImes was right to clutch its pearls.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Tewdrig posted:

Decorum.... decorum never changes.

I was interested in finding old articles that are just as bad as the ones today and ran across an old David Brooks article from July 6, 1854, on page 4:

*snip* in which the article references some event from the prior week it assumes the reader recalls, and says "We expect this from the House, but Senate, you're better than this!"

I tried to figure out what was so contentious in the Senate at the time, but couldn't. The front page article has an awful recitation of senate procedure--amendments, tabling bills, a canal, mail steamships. However, another front page article has Rep. Churchwell of Tennessee denying he pulled a gun on a Rep. Collum a week or two prior on the floor of the House, and producing cards from people saying they did not see it happen. The author of the article tries to say, as one might imagine an 1854 writer for the Times would, "Yeah, yeah, we were all there, and we all saw you do it." So if the Senate was starting to have guns pulled on the floor against other members, maybe the TImes was right to clutch its pearls.

I'd love to see their take on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/978601693188419584

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is a murdoch paper

https://twitter.com/hannahw253/status/978526113101221888

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loving owned

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
WaPo published an opinion piece saying "don't regulate Facebook"

the author of that opinion piece is a billionaire media CEO who owns two online news sites and one social media advertising company, is a former head of Facebook's board of directors (and former owner of the Washington Post), owns millions of dollars worth of FB stock, is a close personal friend of Zucky Zuck, and his daughter is currently employed by Zuckerberg's personal company

:decorum:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there really needs to be some sort of browser extension or something that just surfaces that stuff to the forefront before the text of any propaganda editorial

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tewdrig posted:

Reading about American politics in this era is pretty interesting. Slavery was increasingly driving the nation apart, and the political class was obsessed with compromise. All the while, it was becoming obvious to everyone outside the political class that the whole compromise thing - really was not working. The south's political position was much like the NRA today; that even talk of reigning in slavery was to be met with hysteria. Lincoln was part of a group that realized the compromise was unworkable, and caused much pearl-clutching by being open about this. Lincoln's position was that slavery must end - he didn't have a concrete plan, but the South threatened to leave the union anyway if Lincoln was elected.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
lincoln showed some drat good backbone re: the crittenden compromise, which would have secured slavery below the 36'30 permanently for everything in the nation at the time, and everything acquired thereafter

so he was like "don't vote yes on this; if we surrender, it will be the end of us. not six months will pass before they demand we seize cuba as terms for staying in the union."

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

lincoln showed some drat good backbone re: the crittenden compromise, which would have secured slavery below the 36'30 permanently for everything in the nation at the time, and everything acquired thereafter

so he was like "don't vote yes on this; if we surrender, it will be the end of us. not six months will pass before they demand we seize cuba as terms for staying in the union."

quote:

The compromise included a clause that it could not be repealed or amended.
:lol:

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

https://twitter.com/AlexYablon/status/978661767692857344

https://twitter.com/AlexYablon/status/978665422806568960

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

WaPo published an opinion piece saying "don't regulate Facebook"

the author of that opinion piece is a billionaire media CEO who owns two online news sites and one social media advertising company, is a former head of Facebook's board of directors (and former owner of the Washington Post), owns millions of dollars worth of FB stock, is a close personal friend of Zucky Zuck, and his daughter is currently employed by Zuckerberg's personal company

:decorum:
wapo is also owned by a billionaire who owns twitch, amazon, and probably other social media, advertising, and data mining properties that would be impacted by such legislation

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

whoops

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/978635023959166978

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the failing intercept

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

good piece by sarah jones on the atlantic’s hiring of large adult vampire kevin d williamson

https://twitter.com/onesarahjones/status/978685764925116416

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

good piece by sarah jones on the atlantic’s hiring of large adult vampire kevin d williamson

https://twitter.com/onesarahjones/status/978685764925116416

Remember how the Hillary campaign tried to elevate Trump because they thought he'd be the easiest to beat?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Remember how the Hillary campaign tried to elevate Trump because they thought he'd be the easiest to beat?

TBH I'm not sure she was wrong

It's just she overestimated her own competence by an order of magnitude

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

TBH I'm not sure she was wrong

It's just she overestimated her own competence by an order of magnitude

yeah any of the other republicans would have won by more

e: probably not carly actually

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i dunno. sure carly was literally mitt romney and would have lost bigly (just like romney did) to any democrat who just said "look at this rear end in a top hat, she's your boss, the bean-counting rear end in a top hat who laid your uncle off after he got cancer." but hillary was too dumb to go with that strategy against trump, who it applied to almost as much as it did to mitt and carly

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

isn't he like an op/ed writer, and not a journalist

No, he was one of the main reporters on the Tianmen Square protests along with his wife Sheryl WuDunn. They won a Pulitzer for it. Really though, WuDunn did most of the important work and Kristof was just along for the ride, as demonstrated by his lovely writing after WuDunn went into finance.

The beautiful idelogy that binds all Americans together is...violent paranoia. Well, when he's right, he's right.

pospysyl has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Mar 27, 2018

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

are those people public figures or are these just randos that the sun is openly harassing

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I don't think so - Trump won the Republican primaries because he was offering different things than the other GOP politicians, and if the GOP base wasn't catching Jeb!-fever it's extremely unlikely that the general voting population would have been more enthused

Trump was a political outsider who was promising to be strong daddy and make your life materially better by getting good deals and stopping all the foreigners from leeching your tax money and depressing your wages - it was dumb as poo poo, but if you hated the status quo you can see how he'd be a "mystery brick" through the window of politics as usual, something a more standard GOP suit who was huffing the farts of movement conservatism wouldn't offer

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Shear Modulus posted:

i dunno. sure carly was literally mitt romney and would have lost bigly (just like romney did) to any democrat who just said "look at this rear end in a top hat, she's your boss, the bean-counting rear end in a top hat who laid your uncle off after he got cancer." but hillary was too dumb to go with that strategy against trump, who it applied to almost as much as it did to mitt and carly

I think too that Trump was such a rube by the shadow-play MSM rules that previous elections judged "serious" candidates by that she completely discounted him

Ironically a shitheel candidate that tried to tow the line Re shadowplay she might have seen as a greater threat

pospysyl posted:

The beautiful idelogy that binds all Americans together is...violent paranoia. Well, when he's right, he's right.

Honestly the times David Brooks is right is sorta interesting, because he writes it either half-jokingly "If reason and deliberation are central to democracy, how on earth did Donald Trump get elected?" Or they are kernals of truth like the one above, which are kernals that are biproducts of Brooks making GBS threads that he is unaware of

NYT Editorial - Abraham Lincoln is too divisive, hates reason and debate

quote:

I am not a Know-Nothing. That is certain. How could I be? How can any one who abhors the oppression of negroes, be in favor of degrading classes of white people? Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we begin by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes." When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty-to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I remember Klion from a few years ago as a well-decorumed editor at Bloggingheads.tv and World Politics Review guy (which seemed NGO-ish?) then he popped up one day in my feed lighting the New York and D.C. editor class on fire and I started following.