Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

OwlFancier posted:

I once spawned with marauders literally next door to my homeworld.

That's really awesome and you'd get some cool positive events out of it now according to the patch notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

OwlFancier posted:

I once spawned with marauders literally next door to my homeworld.

Could be worse:

Nevets posted:

I really hope this was intentional. :v: I'm playing as Commonwealth of Man (Red) and just found UN of Earth (Blue) in 2340, literally right next door 11 jumps away from my home system. They've spent the entire game locked inside the Sol system by those raiders, I only finally found them because I put up a fortress with a listening post to stop the raiders.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So I don't know what to do here.

The Great Ozkox Polity over there is claiming all kinds of my, the Igran Confederacy's, systems, but I can't lay any claims on theirs. The Kelbrid Hub is a vassal. The Ozkox have inferior in every category and I could crush them, but I don't know how to make that possible.

Edit: I was set to Liberation Wars, doh.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 27, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The Great Ozkox Polity over there is claiming all kinds of my, the Igran Confederacy's, systems, but I can't lay any claims on theirs. The Kelbrid Hub is a vassal. The Ozkox have inferior in every category and I could crush them, but I don't know how to make that possible.

I would imagine wait for them to declare war on your vassal, beat the poo poo out of them, and then claim their poo poo in the war. You need to be neighboring people to claim their poo poo or rival them afaik and I don't think that works with vassals well.

E: No wait I can claim things from miles away it just costs more. Why can't you claim?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 27, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I would imagine wait for them to declare war on your vassal, beat the poo poo out of them, and then claim their poo poo in the war. You need to be neighboring people to claim their poo poo or rival them afaik and I don't think that works with vassals well.

E: No wait I can claim things from miles away it just costs more. Why can't you claim?

Liberation Wars, I figured it out.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

GotLag posted:

Help me, goons.

I've reimplemented the Machines Coexist mod to fix some bugs it has (genetic tech never dropping, missing rights/policies, biological pops are always enslaved at game start).

It's all working perfectly (as best I can tell), but I have one major problem:
What can I call this civic? The mod above calls it "AI Integration" which is kinda lame, but my working name ("Machine Caretaker") is also boring as gently caress. What can I call this civic?

Patience of Inevitability: The machines plan on a far grander timescale than organics, the unassimilated can still se serve useful purposes... for now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nordick posted:

I like how I started my first game as a post-apocalyptic empire, and in my immediate vicinity I found three 20+ sized tomb worlds that are somehow even more terrible hellscapes than my homeworld. One is apparently fully covered in bones.

Well that explains the Fermi paradox in your corner of the galaxy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psychotic Weasel posted:

If I remember correctly that was actually one of the first major changes that can about not long after Wiz stepped in... I think it was made even before any DLC came out. Like version 1.2 or something.

Either way it was a nice change and really helped back when sectors were totally useless at managing anything.
I think it was in one of the first patches ever. I stopped playing after a couple weeks after playing day 1, and I dont remember multiple planets in one system ever counting for more than one of your Core Limit or whatever it is.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Edit: I was set to Liberation Wars, doh.

Kind of off-topic but are you playing super tall there? Curious how you're doing with so little expansion.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nordick posted:

Nah the official bio is that they invented FTL around 1900, and promptly started a global hell-war over who gets to go first and hosed everything up before they got any ships built. Then they eventually unified under a single, more rational government and are trying to make a better go of it the second time around. Ya know, nothing fancy.

I can imagine the first surveyors exploring the other planets like "Man, I thought we hosed our place up, but god drat"
One of my first anomalies in my tombworld run was a post-apocalyptic toxic planet. I was a little disappointed there wasn't a custom response.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hungry posted:

Kind of off-topic but are you playing super tall there? Curious how you're doing with so little expansion.
I see a Gaia world and a couple Habitats so he must be.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Having played like 50+ hrs of Stellaris since the 2.0 patch, including the latest beta patch update

I think Stellaris is officially a really fun game at this point, like Master of Orion levels of fun, or Sword of the Stars level of fun, for real. Like, it's actually really good and I find myself looking forward to playing it.

Thanks Wiz and Stellaris team for plugging away for the last 2 years and taking this coal and polishing it into galactic ownage. :hellyeah:

I'd still like to see a few more in game events (particularly midgame, seems to tail off after exploration) that aren't provided by mods and a bit more planet variety like gullimans mod would provide, on the whole the game is really badass and it's cool that you can mod in the additional stuff that's missing at this point.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Having played like 50+ hrs of Stellaris since the 2.0 patch, including the latest beta patch update

I think Stellaris is officially a really fun game at this point, like Master of Orion levels of fun, or Sword of the Stars level of fun, for real. Like, it's actually really good and I find myself looking forward to playing it.

Thanks Wiz and Stellaris team for plugging away for the last 2 years and taking this coal and polishing it into galactic ownage. :hellyeah:

I'd still like to see a few more in game events (particularly midgame, seems to tail off after exploration) that aren't provided by mods and a bit more planet variety like gullimans mod would provide, on the whole the game is really badass and it's cool that you can mod in the additional stuff that's missing at this point.

Agreed! I played a bunch at launch and it was totally joyless, but now I can't stop starting new games just for the fun of it. Hopefully we get more diplomacy next, ways to mess with ethics and pops a bit more, and just more events. I would also love if leaders were fleshed out some more, they don't have much personality at the moment.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If the Galactic core is added as a place that opens up for exploration later in the game, how should the systems there be displayed?

The galactic core is really dense with systems, so I wonder if a special 'secondary map' should be used to display a zoomed in view of the galactic core due to all the systems in such a small area.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Had an idea strike me. New species rights population control; Planned Reproduction.

A new pop of that species is only allowed to grow if they have a trait that matches the open tile. Like, a pop with Industrious/Servile/etc can only grow on tiles with mineral resources, mines or blank tiles. Maybe a happiness penalty if not Authoritarian/Hive Mind.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Daraken posted:

Had an idea strike me. New species rights population control; Planned Reproduction.

A new pop of that species is only allowed to grow if they have a trait that matches the open tile. Like, a pop with Industrious/Servile/etc can only grow on tiles with mineral resources, mines or blank tiles. Maybe a happiness penalty if not Authoritarian/Hive Mind.
I like this, it's a good idea.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pharohman777 posted:

If the Galactic core is added as a place that opens up for exploration later in the game, how should the systems there be displayed?

The galactic core is really dense with systems, so I wonder if a special 'secondary map' should be used to display a zoomed in view of the galactic core due to all the systems in such a small area.
Something you cannot access until you have some sort of Jump Drive.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I think it would be wrong to show the galactic core. I like the explanation that the core region of a galaxy is basically impassable because the high background radiation means nothing can live there.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Daraken posted:

Alternatively, use the existing Population Controls right but allow players to 'build' a new growing pop using the robot build interface, that then grows at regular speed. It wouldn't be cloning, just allocating land for future growth, and would prevent your unrestricted growth pops from grabbing up all the tiles.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Something you cannot access until you have some sort of Jump Drive.

This. The Galactic Core should be it’s own map separate from the galaxy map that’s invisible until mid to late game sensors and whatnot.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hungry posted:

Yeah, super tall technocracy. I was Thrifty, Intelligent, Traditional, Non-Adaptive, Sedentary cat people. Ran Fanatic Materialist/ Egalitarian, Beacon of Liberty, Lifeseeded.

I took the choke systems and didn't expand more. Rushed robotics and took some planets as full robot forge worlds of mining facilities, focused the home planet on science and unity. Got megastructures quickly and started building habitats, filled them with energy buildings and cat people. Now I have a ring world I'm working on. I was until very recently the strongest empire in the galaxy aside from the Fallen Empires, but then did the synthetic evolution and pissed off the Holy Protector FE, who came and attacked me. I managed to hold them off and force a peace, so now I'm rebuilding my fleet up since we just started getting word of the Ghost Signal.

I am doing really quite well, everyone is happy, I'm rolling in resources, half complete Dyson Sphere and Science Nexus.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 27, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Captain Oblivious posted:

This. The Galactic Core should be it’s own map separate from the galaxy map that’s invisible until mid to late game sensors and whatnot.

Jumping in to the Galactic Core starts a New Game+.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Daraken posted:

I like this in theory but it also probably cribs machine/synth empires too much. Specific pop controlled bio ascension sounds way better than synths.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's amazing how the handful of people that have weird opinions re: stellaris get together and start agreeing with eachother "yeah there should totally be a core, because you cant just increase the number of systems, and i mean - two map levels to switch between, why not three" and each person just keeps agreeing with the previous horrible suggestions, taking the idea into even further and dumber territory

I don't know how this "game design pow wow: spitball awful ideas about the galactic core" stuff started or is progressing, but can we like, reconsider

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's amazing how the handful of people that have weird opinions re: stellaris get together and start agreeing with eachother "yeah there should totally be a core, because you cant just increase the number of systems, and i mean - two map levels to switch between, why not three" and each person just keeps agreeing with the previous horrible suggestions, taking the idea into even further and dumber territory

I don't know how this "game design pow wow: spitball awful ideas about the galactic core" stuff started or is progressing, but can we like, reconsider
Not that many people posted about it and insulting people is not going to get them to change their ways. This is a thread about a game that has a lead designer that is a goon that posts in this thread, who, before he was an employee of Paradox, made mods of Paradox games and often took suggestions from goons. Now, I'm not saying that he is going to come in here and take our ideas, but there are other modders who reside in this thread, like Guilli, who, if they were so inclined, could make a mod if they see a good idea. There is nothing wrong with spitballing ideas and the fact that you are annoyed enough by iy to make a post about it after pppbbbtttt four people (?) posted about it is just sad.

edit: Like....when I see people post about a topic I am not interested in reading about in the thread, I ..... scroll past the posts!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Not that many people posted about it and insulting people is not going to get them to change their ways. This is a thread about a game that has a lead designer that is a goon that posts in this thread, who, before he was an employee of Paradox, made mods of Paradox games and often took suggestions from goons. Now, I'm not saying that he is going to come in here and take our ideas, but there are other modders who reside in this thread, like Guilli, who, if they were so inclined, could make a mod if they see a good idea. There is nothing wrong with spitballing ideas and the fact that you are annoyed enough by iy to make a post about it after pppbbbtttt four people (?) posted about it is just sad.

edit: Like....when I see people post about a topic I am not interested in reading about in the thread, I ..... scroll past the posts!

I'm setting this post to "Undesirable"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm setting this post to "Undesirable"
*grabs stick with bag tied to the end of it and starts looking for a new thread to call home*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just planet crack the thread.

Is shield worlding being sent to the goldmine?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Haven't had time to check out the beta, but looking forward to the patch release (hopefully this week?) and giving it a go.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ham Sandwiches posted:

End game content is consistently considered a problem with Stellaris. They've done a lot to make the early and mid game more engaging, a Galactic Core weird science zone seems like a logical area for exploration with end game technology.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Ok, so does anyone know why both of my vassals have this -50 relationship malus from being 'at war' when none of us seem to be at war? One of them has been my vassal for 5 years or so. It doesn't seem to be decaying. Is this normal? A bug? Did I miss something?

Electro-Boogie Jack fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 27, 2018

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Splicer posted:

Is shield worlding being sent to the goldmine?

That and giving all the posters 100 year probations.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Just got my first positive marauder event...

...oh. :(

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Hey, 50 bucks influence is 50 influence, right!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So my War in Heaven kind of fell flat, since 90% of the empires were stuck in a war and couldn't sign up for either side. By the time our war ended, the Benevolent Interventionists had already mostly crushed the fleets of the Jingoistic Reclaimers and had started dropping slave shields on their worlds. I didn't want to lose out on all the spoils since the Reclaimers were on my southern border, so I allied with the Interventionists and grabbed as much as I could before they could wipe it out.

Of course as I'm working on their last planet the Contingency pops up, so it looks like there will be no peace just yet. At least the robots didn't go berserk this time, so maybe this game has a chance still.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Dred_furst posted:

Just got my first positive marauder event...

...oh. :(

He served until death.

----
Unrelatedly; is there a mod that makes systems bigger/denser? Like more planets and moons per system? This mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=903757647 seems to be exactly what I'm talking about, but is mega-outdated.

Right now they feel so small, with just a few relevant bodies and MAYBE one or two colonizable planets. That, and I always end up with a huge amount of tiny systems later in the game. I'd like for each individual systems to be more significant and larger, and balance it out with smaller galaxies like 400-600 systems.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:stonklol:

edit for timg

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 28, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Holy poo poo. How am I supposed to beat this crisis? Aside from Fallen Empires, I am far and away the strongest empire around, and one contingency fleet is as strong as my entire navy.

Edit: the smaller fleets are nearly as strong as my navy, and the defense fleets around their world's are like 2x as strong. Nobody else in the galaxy has any capability to do poo poo. Are we just doomed? How can you be expected to deal with a crisis like this alone while the mewling idiot bird people you live near do nothing?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 28, 2018

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In my most recent game the Marauders spawned next to a FE. After the Great Khan event fired the Khan promptly invaded the caretaker's ringworld system and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Holy poo poo. How am I supposed to beat this crisis? Aside from Fallen Empires, I am far and away the strongest empire around, and one contingency fleet is as strong as my entire navy.

Look at their fleet loadout and modify yours accordingly. If you're geared to counter an enemy's weakness/weapon types your fleet can punch far above what it's rating suggests.

If you still have an ascension perk left, there's one for I think +50% damage to crisis fleets which would obviously be a huge boon if you feel understrength.

Nicodemus Dumps fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 28, 2018