Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please don't look at this image if you're Curtis LeMay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
What was the ratio of rest to frontline combat usually like, then? Ideally, that is - I assume that few people are rotating back when a major offensive is underway.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

what if the horse is trained for war

I'm not super familiar with war horse training, but I imagine the horse could gently caress a bear up - as long as it doesn't let the bear get too close

I'm watching a BBC nature doc on the oceans on netflix and in the polar seas episode, they film a polar bear fishing

for beluga whales

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have no idea if it is realistic or not but the swordfighting in Kingdom Come is awesome and kind of terrifying depending on situation. Also I like how armor is actually really important and you can't just make some pussy with a rapier and a puffy white shirt a viable combat alternative.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm not super familiar with war horse training, but I imagine the horse could gently caress a bear up - as long as it doesn't let the bear get too close

I'm watching a BBC nature doc on the oceans on netflix and in the polar seas episode, they film a polar bear fishing

for beluga whales

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Nebakenezzer posted:

https://www.bearbiology.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Wyman_13.pdf

My money is on the bear.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Always bet on the bear.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tomn posted:

What was the ratio of rest to frontline combat usually like, then? Ideally, that is - I assume that few people are rotating back when a major offensive is underway.

I can speak more to WWI: How much time they were up in the front lines depended on a lot of factors like their nationality (different militaries had different schedules) or how "hot" the fighting was. If the sector was quiet they'd spend a good amount of their time in the rear doing tedious make-work jobs like polishing boots or cleaning gear or doing close order drill (or, rarely, practical field training). Then they'd rotate to second-line trenches, then later on move up to the front, then back to the rear, only to repeat the process. Most men would only spend about 1/4 to 1/3 of their time on the front lines.

But WWI was different from WWII; I suspect more static periods of the war followed a similar pattern, but during an offensive everyone would have been committed.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

This draught horse talk reminds me that when I was growing up, regular beer deliveries in Wandsworth were still conducted by horse-drawn drays. Even thought they were cheaper to run than vans the brewery stopped using horses day-to-day because some dickhead attacked one of the horses because he was angry at being stuck behind a dray as it was unloaded. Then the brewery was sold, and now the site is being turned into a yuppie gated community with an onsite loving "nanobrewery" because modernity is overrated.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

Always bet on the bear.

What if the bear is fighting a shark?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cessna posted:

What if the bear is fighting a shark?

Technically we are still conducting a gas attack against the polar bear lines to our North it's just carbon dioxide instead of, say, phosgene.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FAUXTON posted:

Technically we are still conducting a gas attack against the polar bear lines to our North it's just carbon dioxide instead of, say, phosgene.

Many years ago I used to do GIS/environmental data work at a wildlife refuge. One of the biologists was a really quiet, dour person who never really engaged in conversation. I think he said maybe a dozen words per year.

A couple of other co-workers started talking about one of those Animal Planet shows and somehow "bear vs. shark" came up. The quiet guy just went off. "Holy poo poo, shark! Are you crazy? Shark! SHARK! How think anything else!! gently caress you guys, shark!!!"

It was like his personal trigger-issue, just waiting to go off, and when it came up he just exploded.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Cessna posted:

A couple of other co-workers started talking about one of those Animal Planet shows and somehow "bear vs. shark" came up.

This is very much a Rome v Carthage situation, by which I mean that the bear should grow a long beak to hold the shark in place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cessna posted:

Many years ago I used to do GIS/environmental data work at a wildlife refuge. One of the biologists was a really quiet, dour person who never really engaged in conversation. I think he said maybe a dozen words per year.

A couple of other co-workers started talking about one of those Animal Planet shows and somehow "bear vs. shark" came up. The quiet guy just went off. "Holy poo poo, shark! Are you crazy? Shark! SHARK! How think anything else!! gently caress you guys, shark!!!"

It was like his personal trigger-issue, just waiting to go off, and when it came up he just exploded.

I mean, sharks have spent like 250 million years honing their genes against their environment to be as perfect as predator as is naturally possible.

Bears? Idk how long they've been working at it but they think it's okay to just stand on top of a waterfall and wait for a salmon to jump into their mouth

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ursa delendo est

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bear vs Shark is the animal kingdom equivalent of Taliban vs IRA.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

I mean, sharks have spent like 250 million years honing their genes against their environment to be as perfect as predator as is naturally possible.

Bears? Idk how long they've been working at it but they think it's okay to just stand on top of a waterfall and wait for a salmon to jump into their mouth

Fight smarter, not harder

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ainsley McTree posted:

Fight smarter, not harder

Sharks have unlimited magazine-fed teeth and thunderdome wombs and their blood cures cancer

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

I just re-read Ivan's War, and the soviets did.. not handle it great.

While Russia used to have some of the foremost experts on combat trauma, the ideological bullshit brigade in charge later on decided that the only reason a soldier might not want to fight was lacking moral fibre or not enough communist fervour. Draconian penalties (usually death) for cowardice were meted out before someone bothered to check if symptoms were voluntary.

The few psychological casualties that did get recognized were treated in varying fashion. Most got light duty or rest until they were deemed fit, after which they died in the field, some were (I poo poo you not) waterboarded, and others yet were committed and "submerged under drugs", which sounds really terrible.

The German Wehrmacht used a system where you would get electro shocks until you suddenly decided to go back to the front. Those were then counted as "cured".

If you were too messed up to respond to this torture with a working flight reflex, you got more electro shock "therapy". And then some more. And more.

After some point, drugs and insane asylum. As far as I remember, the entire system operated on this unspoken assumption that the underlying psychological issues simply did not exist

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cessna posted:

I can speak more to WWI: How much time they were up in the front lines depended on a lot of factors like their nationality (different militaries had different schedules) or how "hot" the fighting was. If the sector was quiet they'd spend a good amount of their time in the rear doing tedious make-work jobs like polishing boots or cleaning gear or doing close order drill (or, rarely, practical field training). Then they'd rotate to second-line trenches, then later on move up to the front, then back to the rear, only to repeat the process. Most men would only spend about 1/4 to 1/3 of their time on the front lines.

But WWI was different from WWII; I suspect more static periods of the war followed a similar pattern, but during an offensive everyone would have been committed.

WWII varies enormously depending on the situation, time period and nationality. A large number of US troops spent 2 years in the US/UK after being mobilised before before ever being sent into combat, while German troops on the late Eastern Front would be lucky to get any kind of leave at all. There are plenty of stories of German troops repeatedly being sent to get onto leave trains, only for an officer to start reading off a list of units that were being sent back to the front because of some new crisis.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

some dickhead attacked one of the horses because he was angry at being stuck behind a dray as it was unloaded.
this is

not the smartest move for a human

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

this is

not the smartest move for a human

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Mongo aside from being pawn in game of life is more of a force of nature.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

HEY GUNS posted:

what if the horse is trained for war

also, panda bears can hardly gently caress on their own, they're not going to do well in a street fight, be realistic here

Pandas gently caress just fine in the wild. Zoos are a massive turn off for most large mammals, and Pandas just find them exceptionally un-sexy. There's a reason modern horse breeding is all about artificial insemination.

Speaking of spending years in the UK before going off to the front, how much training did Kitchener's army receive? Were they still Kitchener's mob when they started fighting serious battles?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

PittTheElder posted:

Bear vs Shark is the animal kingdom equivalent of Taliban vs IRA.

the question is which is which

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Taliban are sharks, bears are IRA. I'm not even sure how this is in question.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

Taliban are sharks, bears are IRA. I'm not even sure how this is in question.

Where do Moose fall in this system?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Where do Moose fall in this system?

Parti Québécois. Annoying as gently caress, but ultimately pretty harmless. Best ignored and left to their own devices in whatever swamp or tundra they're stomping around in at the moment.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bison / Muskeg cataphracts :duckie:

Muskeg form Schiltrom formations in nature, so that works

I looked up cataphracts on wikipedia and I'm surprised they actually did work as heavy horse with lances - earlier cataphracts have four horn saddles, later ones actually strap themselves to the saddle. I imagine this sucks if your horse is killed. (I know stirrups allow medieval knights to change with a lance one handed and have a shield, but I'm wondering if another big advantage is that if the horse is killed in under you, you have a non-zero change of avoiding injury.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Monocled Falcon posted:

Isn't that how the lowest rank of Roman nobility got their name.
What role did nobility play in society if not fighting in expensive gear that commoners couldn't do?

Equites were a republican invention just so we are clear. They were the first rank of plebians who were conscripted to cavalry based on a wealth threshold - so yes, in some ways they were so called because they were rich and could afford a horse and gear. The use of Equites as cavalry peaked during the Punic wars; later on they were not drafted as cavalry although they were technically eligible. Why? Roman cavalry was absolute garbage, like English levels of bad, so it was way better to hire Dacians or Numidians or literally any other allied peoples.

Financing poo poo. Paying other people to fight, paying for equipment for other people to fight, paying for/providing other materiel (food, clothing, horses, etc) to enable other people to fight.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

Tuesday 27th March, 1945

Very jaded this morning and spent the morning in the pit abstaining from breakfast and soup. But what with the tin bashing and being showered with sawdust from the occupant above, I bestirred myself and meandered around the compound. Met Tom & Hank and spent a strenuous half hour trying to convince Tom that we would be home before my birthday. He conceded that it was a possibility and that he just felt a little ‘browned off ‘ and wanted to be reassured. A dearth of air-raids today. Rumour –Kesselring making peace overtures to Churchill.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Anybody who is not absolutely loving terrified of the idea of being an infantryman facing cavalry has obviously never seen a horse in person. My brother owns a couple of horses, a relatively small mare and a giant quarterhorse stallion. I know the little one is more likely for the time, and there's a fence, and they'll stop, they're just coming to get petted, it's still loving terrifying seeing either of them run at me. And that's just a friendly horse, train it to kill* and put a dude with a pistol and saber on its back, that'd make me want to join the Navy.

*aren't horses one of the few large animals that will try their best to avoid running over a person in a stampede, and so have to be specially trained to trample people for cav? Not because of any concern for us, but because they have very fragile legs, I assume. As opposed to the various bovines, who want nothing more than to dance upon us with their pointy hooves.

bewbies posted:

I have no idea if it is realistic or not but the swordfighting in Kingdom Come is awesome and kind of terrifying depending on situation. Also I like how armor is actually really important and you can't just make some pussy with a rapier and a puffy white shirt a viable combat alternative.
Haven't seen the movie, but I know that if you let the cavalry get close enough to hit you with their swords, you deserve the horrifying wounds you get.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Parti Québécois. Annoying as gently caress, but ultimately pretty harmless. Best ignored and left to their own devices in whatever swamp or tundra they're stomping around in at the moment.
Au moins c'est un beau marais :quebec:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Equites were a republican invention just so we are clear. They were the first rank of plebians who were conscripted to cavalry based on a wealth threshold - so yes, in some ways they were so called because they were rich and could afford a horse and gear.
To riff off this, I think there's often a warped view of what "rich" means in this context. When you're talking about low-ranking martial nobility, for the most part they're much more akin to an upper-middle class professional. That's still very well off to be sure, but we're talking about someone who'd be in the same tax bracket at your dentist, not a CEO.

Also, often the order is reversed with these things. When rulers and states identified poor people who, for whatever reason, knew how fight from the back of a horse, they usually started handing out lands and income to keep those people loyal and available for use. Pretty quickly those people accumulated enough bribes honors that they become part of your noble class.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Comrade Gorbash posted:

To riff off this, I think there's often a warped view of what "rich" means in this context. When you're talking about low-ranking martial nobility, for the most part they're much more akin to an upper-middle class professional. That's still very well off to be sure, but we're talking about someone who'd be in the same tax bracket at your dentist, not a CEO.

That's true in some casws, but not in the case if the Roman equites. When Gracchus made then a distinct class from the senators, the wealth requirement was such that they were, after the senators, the richest class in Rome

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

golden bubble posted:

Speaking of spending years in the UK before going off to the front, how much training did Kitchener's army receive? Were they still Kitchener's mob when they started fighting serious battles?

If you want to be crude and unsophisticated, you can divide the BEF into five periods neatly delineated by year and main source of manpower:

1914: The pre-war regulars
1915: The pre-war Territorial Army
1916: The New Armies
1917: The conscripts
1918: Whoever was left

New Army battalions began arriving on active service in the second half of 1915. If you were very unlucky, this meant that you got sent to Suvla Bay and shat yourself to death in November. If you were slightly unlucky, this meant that you got sent to Loos and drowned in a mud-filled shell crater in October. The majority of men who signed up and got put into a New Army battalion would spend between six and nine months training in England; then another month or two training at a rear-area depot in France; then up the line in a quiet sector like Plugstreet for a month or two; then another month of rest and training; then up the line somewhere nearer the Somme; then they all disappeared somewhere in front of Thiepval. (The Memorial to the Missing got put there for a reason.)

Their training was about as good as could have been expected from an army that was rapidly swelling to eight times its usual size without ever having planned to do anything of the sort. There were severe shortages of just about everything up to summer 1915 as the Empire suddenly found itself having to create the logistics to supply two million men in France while also running a lot of very silly and resource-intensive campaigns in other places. Some of the training was pretty good; some of it was shite and perfunctory; but if you're looking at the reasons for why the Somme went the way it did, failings in training for the blokes is vvv way down there somewhere vvv on the list.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mr Enderby posted:

This draught horse talk reminds me that when I was growing up, regular beer deliveries in Wandsworth were still conducted by horse-drawn drays. Even thought they were cheaper to run than vans the brewery stopped using horses day-to-day because some dickhead attacked one of the horses because he was angry at being stuck behind a dray as it was unloaded.

I was at a brewery in Bruges and was told the opposite. The brewery switched to trucks because it was cheaper, but the delivery drivers were up in arms because they hated the trucks. The horses knew the delivery routes, and so the drivers would toss back a gratis glass of beer at each stop, and rely on the horses to get them home even if they took a nap along the way.

FAUXTON posted:

Sharks have unlimited magazine-fed teeth and thunderdome wombs and their blood cures cancer

Plus a shark's skin is so smooth I don't know how the bear would get a grip.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

hahaha they're loving tiny this owns

I'm Icelandic. I first saw a foreign horse when I was like eight and saw mounted police abroad and freaked out a bit because they were riding GIANT MONSTER HORSES

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 27, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

I was at a brewery in Bruges and was told the opposite. The brewery switched to trucks because it was cheaper, but the delivery drivers were up in arms because they hated the trucks. The horses knew the delivery routes, and so the drivers would toss back a gratis glass of beer at each stop, and rely on the horses to get them home even if they took a nap along the way.

See if you could sell this as DISRUPTION silicon valley style I bet uber would be interested

Also the bear uses its giant teeth and claws to get ahold of slippery things

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Epicurius posted:

That's true in some casws, but not in the case if the Roman equites. When Gracchus made then a distinct class from the senators, the wealth requirement was such that they were, after the senators, the richest class in Rome
poo poo I got my Roman social reforms crossed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Delivery McGee posted:

Anybody who is not absolutely loving terrified of the idea of being an infantryman facing cavalry has obviously never seen a horse in person. My brother owns a couple of horses, a relatively small mare and a giant quarterhorse stallion. I know the little one is more likely for the time, and there's a fence, and they'll stop, they're just coming to get petted, it's still loving terrifying seeing either of them run at me. And that's just a friendly horse, train it to kill* and put a dude with a pistol and saber on its back, that'd make me want to join the Navy.

*aren't horses one of the few large animals that will try their best to avoid running over a person in a stampede, and so have to be specially trained to trample people for cav? Not because of any concern for us, but because they have very fragile legs, I assume. As opposed to the various bovines, who want nothing more than to dance upon us with their pointy hooves.

Haven't seen the movie, but I know that if you let the cavalry get close enough to hit you with their swords, you deserve the horrifying wounds you get.

But everyone knows horses are useless!

quote:

But if any of you is out of heart to think that we have no cavalry,
while the enemy have many squadrons to command, lay to heart this
doctrine, that ten thousand horse only equal ten thousand men upon
their backs, neither less nor more. Did any one ever die in battle
from the bite or kick of a horse? It is the men, the real swordsmen,
who do whatever is done in battles. In fact we, on our stout shanks,
are better mounted than those cavalry fellows; there they hang on to
their horses' necks in mortal dread, not only of us, but of falling
off; while we, well planted upon earth, can deal far heavier blows to
our assailants, and aim more steadily at who we will.

There is one point, I admit, in which their cavalry have the whip-hand
of us; it is safer for them than it is for us to run away.