Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Samuringa posted:

What are your feelings on taking over outposts and skinning bears to craft wallets?

Good news: you don't have to craft wallets anymore! Now you just buy them on the skill tree. Hunting is just to make money.

Ciaphas posted:

On reflection though if it's Ubisoft that means it's a collection open worlder and BotW has comprehensively ruined all examples of that genre for me

So probably won't like it

I haven't played it yet, but a few reviews have suggested it took some inspiration from BotW in that it no longer has towers that scatter icons everywhere and gives you binoculars that you can use to mark your own waypoints. Supposedly there are real side quests like in AC Origins, too, and not exclusively copy-pasted activities all over the place. Ubisoft is trying to move away from their old open world structure--I think even they're tired of it now.

I doubt it's quite at BotW's level of exploration and fun, but if an open-world FPS with light stealth elements appeals to you it seems like Far Cry 5 is probably going to be better for you than any previous Far Cry would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thanks y'all, I'll check back into it at a later date for now. got ni no kuni 2 and mwo gumming up the backlog works anyway

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whats mwo
Mech warrior online?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Monster Wunter Orld

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Modern Warfare Online. i know, i'm shocked they just released it with no fanfare!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Into the breach is so fun f this game ever comes to iOS I will probably get fired

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Into the breach is so fun f this game ever comes to iOS I will probably get fired

Whats a fun team to unlock. I beat it with default and a few i unlocked werent as cool

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats a fun team to unlock. I beat it with default and a few i unlocked werent as cool

Fire guys and electric smoke guys are both really fun, though the later really only gets broken open when you stick the pilot who is unaffected by smoke and webbing into the jet.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Rusting Hulks are great. They do area denial, cancel enemy attacks, and do damage by leaving deadly vape clouds everywhere.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

On reflection though if it's Ubisoft that means it's a collection open worlder and BotW has comprehensively ruined all examples of that genre for me

So probably won't like it

You have to collect 900 NRA banners and the reward is a literal pile of poo poo.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Last Far Cry game I played was 3 and I enjoyed it immensely, and I’ve got the itch again. Gonna pick up 5 the second it goes on sale

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats mwo
Mech warrior online?

Yeah

Most of the out of game UI is utter dogshit and it leans hard on the F2P scheme but stompytanks is just as fun as it was when I was a kid

Do recommend peeps give it a try

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

yeah the only Far Cry i've played much of since 2 was Primal so i'm not burned out on it

it's really fun tho and the guns/driving feel weighty as gently caress in a good way

I've never liked driving in Far Cry games, the bounds of the cars are never clear enough and I just can't get a sense of physical space like when you drive irl. The handling is whatever, you can get used to that, but you can't get used to being blind to the far end of your vehicle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

Far Cry 5 is insanely good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmB5W0pWnh4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

I've never liked driving in Far Cry games, the bounds of the cars are never clear enough and I just can't get a sense of physical space like when you drive irl. The handling is whatever, you can get used to that, but you can't get used to being blind to the far end of your vehicle.

The funny little Nepalese cars in 4 were pretty good cause they were narrow as hell

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The melee weapons are seriously good. I hunted a bear by smashing it in the face repeatedly with a bat and when it tried to run, I proceeded to fling about six bats into its rear end until it died.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is the hawk cry part of the move or was it coincidentally well timed?>

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So far in far cry 5 i have:

Shot a nerd who was playing an arcade game and wouldn't shut up about how frickin sweet it was in the head. The bartender got spooked for a moment and then everyone went back to normal

Mercy killed a guy dying on a mattress, which the game told me I shouldn't have done, but it didn't penalize me

Cleared a roadblock by ramming into it at high speed, jumping out, and unloading an rpg, the blast of which threw me back 12 feet

Rescued a tied up woman, who immediately picked up the assault rifle of the guy I had shot and offered to join my party (you collect npc buddies like pokemon and they all have different abilities you unlock as you play with them)

It's pretty good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

Is the hawk cry part of the move or was it coincidentally well timed?>

It's uh hard to be sure with anything in this game

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
do you still have to climb a million towers and collect a million boring posters

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they already collected 1 million boring posters. folks i'm talking about the dying Something awful forums !!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

do you still have to climb a million towers and collect a million boring posters

You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do, friend!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jay Rust posted:

Tell that to my wife!! Achee wah waahhhh!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

you can reveal the map without climbing a billion boring towers and watch the same lovely smash radio animation for the sixty thousandth time?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Doorknob Slobber posted:

They replaced towers with using binocs to tag points of interest

Im sure theres plenty repetitive stuff in there still

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I didn't realize it, but there is obviously something about the Ubisoft open world formula that appeals to me because I have never gotten bored of climbing towers

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

they already collected 1 million boring posters. folks i'm talking about the dying Something awful forums !!

There were never a million posters here :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Tell that to my wife!! Achee wah waahhhh!

pleasure to meet you, eugene levy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

First Person Shooters should still be called DOOM-Likes.

I think if there was one game that would actually be cool in VR (but still not functional) it would be the original DOOM for sure.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They were called doom clones and doom killers

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I am so bad at Nioh

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

thehoodie posted:

I didn't realize it, but there is obviously something about the Ubisoft open world formula that appeals to me because I have never gotten bored of climbing towers

Ubi games appeal to a very specific mindset and if you're in their zone, too bad, you're going to buy every single game they put out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

You climb one tower at the start and the guy on the radio says 'haha this is the only tower honest' and so far he was right.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

I am so bad at Nioh

That's okay, it's a super hard game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

Ubisoft is trying to move away from their old open world structure--I think even they're tired of it now.

I think they're tired of a lot of things, if this game is any indication :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

glam rock hamhock posted:

I am so bad at Nioh

How many times have you died fighting Tachibana Muneshige

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imagining charlie fox trots game room walls covered in tally marks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

Imagining charlie fox trots game room walls covered in tally marks

Spoilers for how long the Nioh campaign is:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just climbed a tower for a mission but it was tense and rad instead of boring

You get points of interest from reading things or talking to people

Literally this is what Bethesda should use as the template for fallout 5 because it feels a billion times more natural than whatever the the poo poo 4's design philosophy was

Actually FC5 reminds me of new Vegas in a lot of ways now that I'm thinking about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

see that actually DOES sound fun and interesting, for the reason i stated before (preferring botw's method of open world/exploring)

drat, though. got ni no kuni 2 and mwo to play.

• Locked thread