Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

kedo posted:

Perhaps a little late, but I just saw this article earlier today. Not sure if it would help since it's not an Adobe product: Time to design presentations right in sketch and convert it to a .ppt

Thanks. Kinda helps but it also want you to upload the file to a third-party converter.

Any and all advice is welcome though.

The AI > PDF > PPT thing actually didn't quite work. Still needed some tweaking to the type and stuff.

I guess I just have to muddy through PowerPoint...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If you're on a mac I think you can export Keynote straight to a .ppt.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
Keynote also has a web editor which is free and pretty robust and should take .ppt format files as imports: https://www.icloud.com/#keynote

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Yeah, on a mac. But Keynote is just adding another step, isn't it?

Like, I'm going to make stuff in Illustrator, export to keynote and fix that hot mess, then export to PowerPoint and fix that hot mess.

...why can't these business types just use PDFs? They can edit them as easily as a power point doc these days.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I'm struggling to get an unpaid volunteer female VA for a game mod I'm making for The Ur-Quan Masters.

There are plenty of other unpaid ads on the sites I'm posting that get responses.
I copied the format of other, successful ads when writing my one.
There are even ads that are considerably less professional looking than mine (including spelling errors, not having lines to voice, not having an end date) that get responses on the same day.

Yet I have yet to get a single response. I sent out a casting call for the same role on two different sites months back and didn't get any replies. This is my second attempt on one of those sites.

I dont know for sure, but I think the problem is that the whole game has a (humorous) 50s/60s pulp retro sci-fi aesthetic, and the character I'm looking to voice is a blue-skinned space vixen, which is putting people off. The character has emotional range and the cheescake is played for laughs (the game is rated E) but I just can't seem to get my ad right. It's here: http://voiceacting.boards.net/thread/1835/female-voice-actor-pulp-game

I could leave out the GIANT BIKINI CLAD PICTURE but on the other hand I feel it would be misleading not to reveal that the character is, in fact, a pulp sci fi blue skinned space vixen and should probably be acted as one.

Any advice is welcome at this point - places to advertise, ways to improve the ad, anything really.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Soul Reaver posted:

I'm struggling to get an unpaid volunteer female VA for a game mod I'm making for The Ur-Quan Masters.

There are plenty of other unpaid ads on the sites I'm posting that get responses.
I copied the format of other, successful ads when writing my one.
There are even ads that are considerably less professional looking than mine (including spelling errors, not having lines to voice, not having an end date) that get responses on the same day.

Yet I have yet to get a single response. I sent out a casting call for the same role on two different sites months back and didn't get any replies. This is my second attempt on one of those sites.

I dont know for sure, but I think the problem is that the whole game has a (humorous) 50s/60s pulp retro sci-fi aesthetic, and the character I'm looking to voice is a blue-skinned space vixen, which is putting people off. The character has emotional range and the cheescake is played for laughs (the game is rated E) but I just can't seem to get my ad right. It's here: http://voiceacting.boards.net/thread/1835/female-voice-actor-pulp-game

I could leave out the GIANT BIKINI CLAD PICTURE but on the other hand I feel it would be misleading not to reveal that the character is, in fact, a pulp sci fi blue skinned space vixen and should probably be acted as one.

Any advice is welcome at this point - places to advertise, ways to improve the ad, anything really.

Maybe pay people to work?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Maybe pay people to work?

I'm posting in the (clearly labelled) Unpaid section of the forums, and the comparison I'm drawing is to other ads for equally unpaid work. Which DO get responses. So I don't think it's the fact that it's unpaid.

Also, I will make a grand total of $0 off this mod myself, so it's not like I've got profits to share. I'm doing it for fun, and so are most of the voice actors that answer those unpaid ads.

Which includes me, as I've done voice acting for free both for my own mods and those of others.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 1, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Soul Reaver posted:

I'm posting in the Unpaid section of the of the forums, and the comparison I'm drawing are to other ads for unpaid work. Which DO get responses. So I don't think it's the fact that it's unpaid.

Also, I will make a grand total of $0 off this mod myself, so it's not like I've got profits to share.

What's the time time investment for the VO actor for this project?

Also, my assumption would be that if people are looking for unpaid work, they're doing so not just for experience but to use to build their resumes. If something doesn't come across as a project that they can proudly show off, then they may be less likely to do it. I'd probably be inclined to take down the sultry space vixen picture.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's the time time investment for the VO actor for this project?

Also, my assumption would be that if people are looking for unpaid work, they're doing so not just for experience but to use to build their resumes. If something doesn't come across as a project that they can proudly show off, then they may be less likely to do it. I'd probably be inclined to take down the sultry space vixen picture.

It would probably take me a day to record all the lines if I did it myself. The character is about the 3rd most important in the game and so does have quite a few lines (approx. 80 lines of varying lengths).

Should I have any picture at all (eg this one http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/script/images/9/90/Sc2_end_talana.png but cropped to just show the face ) or should I not even do that?

It's probably too late to remove it from that site as everyone that's likely to look at the ad already has...

Any other recommendations for other places to advertise?

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 1, 2018

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Soul Reaver posted:

It would probably take me a day to record all the lines if I did it myself. The character is about the 3rd most important in the game and so does have quite a few lines (approx. 80 lines of varying lengths).

Should I have any picture at all (eg this one http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/script/images/9/90/Sc2_end_talana.png but cropped to just show the face ) or should I not even do that?

It's probably too late to remove it from that site as everyone that's likely to look at the ad already has...

Any other recommendations for other places to advertise?

Just bang it out yourself in a day with a husky lady voice or post-process your regular voice.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Corla Plankun posted:

Just bang it out yourself in a day with a husky lady voice or post-process your regular voice.

Can Audacity do an actual decent job of making a male voice sound female?

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 1, 2018

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there still a forum/thread where freelance goons do 'art' for money?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 3, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there still a forum/thread where freelance goons do 'art' for money?

Just start an SA-Mart thread if you need the art.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's a stickied freelance thread in CC where people post and get jobs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Anybody know good tutorials for someone getting started in synthesizing sound like wind and thunder?

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm using DAUB's set of pencil brushes for clip studio paint: https://gumroad.com/l/nDmxJ

I'm not clear on if I should turn off the tilt in the brush settings since my tablet doesnt support it: or if that would mess up the brush. That gumroad link mentions that tilt works for non wacom people but im not quite positive what they mean by that, any ideas?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Lordy this is like my 20th time posting here about Creative Cloud.

I'm trying to place an image in Illustrator. Once it a was a PNG, last time a PSD (albeit with spot channels). It doesn't seem to matter.

The image is, for lack of a better term, square. But when I place it it does this:

That little red thing in the corner. That's all that should be there. Not all that extra. And no, no giant paths or anything in the photoshop file. If I replace an image that's already in the document it puts that big honker in there.

What the hell? Any ideas? Some adobe message boards hint at a similar problem.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Anyone out there using Qor watercolors? Trying to find out if they all have same dispersing quality, or if the two in my collection are odd ducks. I went all in on Daniel Smith Primateks (watercolor paints made with ground up stones, like amethyst and hematite) so I don't want to cough up for another set of pricey toys unless they're unique--but the way the pigment blooms the second it touches the page is amazing.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 13, 2018

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

What's a recommended book/system to learn to draw for absolute beginners?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Simone Poodoin posted:

Franchescanado posted:

I'd say take a trip to the library and pick up
Learn to Draw in 30 Days. It has different exercises to do every day for 30 days, and they're all based on the basic fundamentals.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is the Gold Standard and will help you tremendously

Look up Proko on YouTube and watch the (free!) series on basic drawing skills.

Draw anything/everything around you, don't be afraid to draw badly, because every mistake is a chance to learn. It's an artform based on learning from failure, bud.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Thank you, will check those out.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I would really like to be able to create digital art in this kind of style: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/247679136/classic-retro-sci-fi-poster-set-977x?ref=shop_home_active_1

Do you think this is hand drawn on a tablet? I've tried finding a good course on Udemy (where I've taken a bunch of courses) but they all seem to be about digital layout work, and not so much art. Any good resources for learning how to do this stuff? I'm fairly fluent in Photoshop/Pixelmator/Sketch.

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
what does it all mean?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It looks a lot like it's been sketched out in some manner and then finished off in illustrator. I'm sure you could definitely get a similar result using different masks and layer effects in PS. It very well may have been done in Illustrator then exported to PS for adding various effects to give the sorta aged/ragged effect.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
I am helping a teacher friend prepare for an academic team competition. She is coaching the English portion and they have been asked to analyze various texts, including Sonnet 9: On Returning to the Front after Leave by Alan Seeger.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/57350/sonnet-9-on-returning-to-the-front-after-leave

She has most of the analysis done according to what is required for the competition but wanted a second opinion on the meter.

We think it is in pentameter but there is an extra syllable in the first line. Is she on the right track? Anything notable that she should point out to the kids?

There will be a limited amount of questions but they ask the students to cover a lot of material in preparation, so any help on this is appreciated.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i'm looking into drawing some medieval maps in a style similar to the bayeux tapestry

my first thought was 'just draw it on a wacom tablet' but then I realized it would be cool to make some inks and draw it out physically

my only concern is digitizing my physical map, there's a good chance it's going to be larger than 8.5"x11" so I'm not sure how that would even work. Maybe a photograph? I wouldn't want to lose any resolution, though. I have no idea how this works :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i'm looking into drawing some medieval maps in a style similar to the bayeux tapestry

my first thought was 'just draw it on a wacom tablet' but then I realized it would be cool to make some inks and draw it out physically

my only concern is digitizing my physical map, there's a good chance it's going to be larger than 8.5"x11" so I'm not sure how that would even work. Maybe a photograph? I wouldn't want to lose any resolution, though. I have no idea how this works :(

Yeah a photo with good lighting and then correct for distortion in ps.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah a photo with good lighting and then correct for distortion in ps.

sweet, thanks! time to go saw some knobs off of trees

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Simone Poodoin posted:

Franchescanado mentioned him, but I really cannot recommend Stan Prokopenko (Proko) and his video lessons enough. He has a Drawing for Beginners playlist that's a good starting point to go through, and more advanced lessons also available for free on his YouTube page.

The two most important things to master when you're first starting to draw are holding and controlling your pencil to gain the confidence you need for solid lines, and learning how to intuitively construct three-dimensional objects and rotate them in space on a piece of paper. The latter sounds more complicated than it actually is; it's just a matter of drawing enough of certain key shapes (spheres, cubes, and cylinders) until you begin to understand how they're supposed to look instinctively. You'll eventually hit a magical point where you can begin to "feel" the volumes as you draw them, which changes drawing from being a painstaking, tedious exercise in measuring lines and angles to a fun, creative exercise of breaking things down into simple forms and connecting them together.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Every once in a while I'll get a vector logo from someone that I need to turn into a transparent png, or I'll download a vector file from Thinkstock that is an eps with a white background/canvas. I need to copy it and paste it into Photoshop to make it a png, but I can't just open it in Photoshop - that'd be too easy. It just wants to rasterize it, white background and all. I refuse to pay $20/month for Illustrator since I only need to do this maybe once every other month, but I need something. What free/cheap program can open eps files and take out parts of them easily?

Edit: Nevermind, I found out that Adobe has Illustrator CS2 for free on their site. Still works in Windows 10 64-bit!

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 9, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Good guides for acrylics and gaouche? I used to be decent at impressionist landscapes with oils and acrylics a decade ago but yeesh, it’s been awhile.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I'm trying to draw picture I actually intend to print and frame and I'm confused about what resolution I should be drawing in. The default my program was using was 72, which is apparently bad? I don't really understand what any of this means or what its supposed to do. The thing that was bothering me was that I sized my pic to be 5 x 7 inches to match the picture frame but it clearly wasn't actually that big. Changing it to higher resolutions didn't resolve that problem though.

So I guess my question is wtf is DPI and what resolution should I actually be drawing in?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Good guides for acrylics and gaouche? I used to be decent at impressionist landscapes with oils and acrylics a decade ago but yeesh, it’s been awhile.

Gouache handles pretty similarly to oils. Blends well and you don't need to worry about layering really like with acrylics. Using water and possibly some gum Arabic as your mixing mediums is pretty convenient too. Honestly, since you've painted previously just play around a bit and it'll all come back to you.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Internet Kraken posted:

So I'm trying to draw picture I actually intend to print and frame and I'm confused about what resolution I should be drawing in. The default my program was using was 72, which is apparently bad? I don't really understand what any of this means or what its supposed to do. The thing that was bothering me was that I sized my pic to be 5 x 7 inches to match the picture frame but it clearly wasn't actually that big. Changing it to higher resolutions didn't resolve that problem though.

So I guess my question is wtf is DPI and what resolution should I actually be drawing in?

DPI is like pixel density, but for printers. 200-300 is about standard for printing images, which means you need (size in inches) x DPI pixels in your image

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

To add to the above poster, 72dpi is basically the default for web images because that used to be the common screen resolution.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

DPI means Dots per Inch. Most older computer monitors are 72 DPI, retina monitors and iPads are around 144-200 DPI, and print resolution goes from around 300 DPI for most magazines and books up to 600 or even 1200 DPI for higher-quality applications. Printing a 72 DPI image doesn't look so great even if it works on the monitor. Some people use the terms DPI and resolution interchangeably, I tend to use resolution to mean the pixel dimensions of the image and DPI for the... well, DPI.

The main thing to note is that DPI is independent of the resolution of the image, and you can change the DPI without changing the number of pixels - a 300 x 300 pixel image will print at 1 inch by 1 inch if it is set to 300 DPI. The same image will print at .5" x .5" if you change the DPI to 600, you're just printing the dots of the image smaller and closer together.

For printing, 300 DPI is the minimum for it to look professional, so in the future you'll want to set your drawing to 300 DPI minimum. Unfortunately, while Photoshop/GiMP/whatever program you're using CAN upscale your image and ad in missing pixels, unless the image is very simplistic it will most likely not look so great. Also, my own personal advice (coming from years of having clients request various size and format changes) is to make the drawing minimum twice as large as you currently want to print it. Scaling a drawing down is easy and will work just fine, scaling up is difficult and time consuming.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This is helpful info. I'm an idiot though so I still don't really understand what it does because it doesn't seem to create any visual difference. If this is something that only applies when you print, what happens if you save a picture as a png and print that? Will it somehow save the resolution of the picture along with it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

This is helpful info. I'm an idiot though so I still don't really understand what it does because it doesn't seem to create any visual difference. If this is something that only applies when you print, what happens if you save a picture as a png and print that? Will it somehow save the resolution of the picture along with it?

it only applies when you print because DOTS only exist as dots of paint in real life.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Internet Kraken posted:

Images are made out of pixels, which are little squares of color. "Resolution" measures how many little squares there are, and "DPI" measures how big the little squares are when you print them. Higher resolution means more squares, and higher DPI means smaller squares.

DPI stands for "dots per inch" because it is literally measuring "this is how many little squares you need to stack next to each other to cover an inch of paper."

If you make resolution bigger while keeping DPI constant the image gets bigger, because the squares stay the same size and now there are more of them. Conversely, if you make DPI bigger while keeping resolution constant then the image gets smaller, because you keep the same number of squares but all of them get smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So will saving a pic as a png, emailing it to myself, and then printing it from another computer gently caress up the resolution? I can't print it straight from the computer I do all my art on because its not connected to the printer.