Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The garbage Moto G4 Play I keep around to as a test phone not only got the 7.1 upgrade but also got the March security patch. What he gently caress is going on over at Motorola all of a sudden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Amadeo reviewed the Xiaomi Mi A1 for Ars and, unsurprisingly, he liked it:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/xiaomi-mi-a1-review-a-220-iphone-clone-with-stock-android-sign-us-up/

Main negative are the buttons which, on top of being in the wrong order, are physical rather than on-screen.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

The garbage Moto G4 Play I keep around to as a test phone not only got the 7.1 upgrade but also got the March security patch. What he gently caress is going on over at Motorola all of a sudden?

Was that really recent? Been waiting for awhile on an update on this Moto E4 I picked up cheap. The Bluetooth LE is busted on it and it's only at January security patch.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Obsurveyor posted:

Was that really recent? Been waiting for awhile on an update on this Moto E4 I picked up cheap. The Bluetooth LE is busted on it and it's only at January security patch.

Yeah, March security patch was in the last week or so (that's the last time I turned it on).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just read an article with leaked details about the Moto G6 and they were disappointed to find that the display was not 18:9 as was previously thought but was actually 2:1.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Powers posted:

I just read an article with leaked details about the Moto G6 and they were disappointed to find that the display was not 18:9 as was previously thought but was actually 2:1.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Haha really? Link?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/moto-g6-may-have-been-laid-bear-early-3434262

The listing outlines a 5.7-inch 1080p display with a 2:1 aspect ratio, contrary to the 18:9 ratio outlined in the Amazon leak on Monday.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/moto-g6-may-have-been-laid-bear-early-3434262

The listing outlines a 5.7-inch 1080p display with a 2:1 aspect ratio, contrary to the 18:9 ratio outlined in the Amazon leak on Monday.

That's amazing.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

sleepwalkers posted:

For gently caress's sake people, stop using your 5X even if it works. It will not work for long. Replace it now so you don't find yourself in a situation like this poster.

Hey, the upside is I am now shitposting from a shiny new Pixel 2 XL. :q:

But part of my signing/relocation bonus will go to paying that Pixel 2 XL. :suicide:

I didn't know the 5X bootloop was a matter of time rather than chance, though. Sounded like one of those random hardware failures. Guess it's not random!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

Why is this something people are upset about?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

axeil posted:

Why is this something people are upset about?

Smaller numbers = bad Larger numbers = good. They should have made it 36:18 instead :colbert:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I would actually prefer a 16:8 display personally.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's strange to look at old TVs in 4:2, don't know how we put up with it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
It wouldn’t be that big a deal if it were 1:2 instead.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I have never once given a poo poo about a device's aspect ratio and despite the pages of posts about here I still can't be arsed to.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

lmao

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have never once given a poo poo about a device's aspect ratio and despite the pages of posts about here I still can't be arsed to.

Please post your complaints in a 5000:2500 aspect ratio.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I literally didn't even know people gave a poo poo. I mean I don't even see the reason for anything beyond 720p as denser screens just chew more battery and the screen's so drat small who gives a poo poo? Unless you are constantly looking at your phone from about a millimeter away how can you even notice the difference?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Double Punctuation posted:

Please post your complaints in a 5000:2500 aspect ratio.

poo poo. I am owned. :negative:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

axeil posted:

I literally didn't even know people gave a poo poo. I mean I don't even see the reason for anything beyond 720p as denser screens just chew more battery and the screen's so drat small who gives a poo poo? Unless you are constantly looking at your phone from about a millimeter away how can you even notice the difference?

Are we talking about resolution, or aspect ratio?

Aspect ratio doesn't affect performance or battery drain. If you had a 4:3 phone I think you might have some opinions about aspect ratio.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

:thejoke:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Twerk from Home posted:

Aspect ratio doesn't affect performance or battery drain. If you had a 4:3 phone I think you might have some opinions about aspect ratio.

What are good examples of 4:3 phones? I've owned ton of phones.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

Find an optometrist.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What are good examples of 4:3 phones? I've owned ton of phones.

The blackberry bold is 640x480, as well as all of the older blackberries. I thought that newer blackberries were still 4:3, but they're 1:1 now.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I guess I should clarify; Android phones lol

Fabio Lanzoni
Nov 9, 2006
When I listen to a solo, I think of a duo
need a new phone to replace my lobotomized Nexus 5X. Any recommendations on the ~$400 range?
was thinking about getting the Essential Phone but apparently it's terrible?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Resolution.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Fabio Lanzoni posted:

need a new phone to replace my lobotomized Nexus 5X. Any recommendations on the ~$400 range?
was thinking about getting the Essential Phone but apparently it's terrible?

What did LG give you as a warranty replacement? My post-Nexus 5X life has been a couple of miserable months trying to use the LG G5 they sent me, followed by selling it in anger and buying a Moto G5+ which has been a pretty excellent phone. LG G5 bad, Moto G5 good.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The HTC G1 is 13.5:9

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

And for anyone who didn't get it: 2:1 and 18:9 are the same aspect ratio.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

And for anyone who didn't get it: 2:1 and 18:9 are the same aspect ratio.

Yes I think some people missed the joke

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Do you guys do anything special about Gboard going loving crazy with the autocorrect? It's "fixing" words that I have blatantly spelled correctly (were to we're, heal to hear, it will even occasionally autocorrect to the wrong form of their/they're/there) and it's driving me loving crazy when I'm trying to send emails from my phone. What the gently caress is going on here? Can it actually not tell when I'm using a word correctly?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea it's bad about that poo poo sometimes there's no fix afaik

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I switched back to Swype yesterday and it was crazy how much faster I was typing (with minimal errors). then I had to edit some text and ended up switching back to Gboard because that keyboard swiping to move the cursor is too good.

I wish I could combine them

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My S9+ seems to default to 50% brightness when you unlock it - even late at night and it's so loving bright it hurts, then it slowly auto-brightness adjusts down. Is there a workaround for that?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Stevie Lee posted:

I switched back to Swype yesterday and it was crazy how much faster I was typing (with minimal errors). then I had to edit some text and ended up switching back to Gboard because that keyboard swiping to move the cursor is too good.

I wish I could combine them

I too went back to Swype yesterday and found myself missing the delete and spacebar scrolling. Are we the same person?!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

VelociBacon posted:

My S9+ seems to default to 50% brightness when you unlock it - even late at night and it's so loving bright it hurts, then it slowly auto-brightness adjusts down. Is there a workaround for that?

I believe you can turn down the default brightness then set auto after and I think it'll go off your default to start.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
When I say 'navigate home' to google assistant now (Pixel 2 XL, but I doubt that makes a difference), it just gives me instructions on how to set my home address, even thought it's set. I've tried re-setting it and it makes no difference, same result.

Anyone else experiencing this? It seems like every week there's some different google service tossing about. I only just just stopped repeatedly getting reminders that I'd already marked as finished :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

chippy posted:

When I say 'navigate home' to google assistant now (Pixel 2 XL, but I doubt that makes a difference), it just gives me instructions on how to set my home address, even thought it's set. I've tried re-setting it and it makes no difference, same result.

Anyone else experiencing this? It seems like every week there's some different google service tossing about. I only just just stopped repeatedly getting reminders that I'd already marked as finished :/

Not that it helps, but it iss currently working for me on a Pixel 1, all up to date. I feel like having assistant navigate me is highly dependant on the ping times/speed of the network I'm on. A lot of time it gives me a google result instead of directions to my contacts, and its infuriating. All of my contacts are set up fairly well with addresses in 'home' and first/last name, but when I use assistant its 50/50 if it will work. Same for calling.