Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yep I definitely want that overworld travel speed boost, that sounds fantastic.

I'm assuming I also want the spell research building early, right? From what little I've seen it looks like it's one of the core ways of getting stronger skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The spellworks is also very good.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
When you get to build the Aranella Square, it'll let you subsequently build an Institute of Innovation, which will give you upgrades to town-related things like increased research speed and citizen item accumulation

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Harrow posted:

Yep I definitely want that overworld travel speed boost, that sounds fantastic.

I'm assuming I also want the spell research building early, right? From what little I've seen it looks like it's one of the core ways of getting stronger skills.
You can't even do these right off the bat cause they are locked behind required traits from citizens you need to recruit as that chapter progresses.

And you'll build all the first level buildings right off the bat anyway for the influence.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Oh man, in Hydropolis Lofty’s Guillermo del Toro cosplay is off the chain!!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

When Goos do that silver bullshit it only protects them against weapon attacks. You can still hurt them with magic.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Really Pants posted:

The spellworks is also very good.

And I think locks progression at some point.
Also probably want the stores updates at explorer guild and to remember to upgrade the coffers size when appropriate, so to not lose precious tax money.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gonna come clean. Start of the game was easy but my characters are dying a poo poo ton around sciencetown. Like everything has red names and I'm wondering if I was supposed to stop and grind for awhile. I've been doing all the sidequests I can and I dont' avoid encounters so I'm not sure why i'm lagging so far behind :S

I also got the final party Member so Evan, sorry main character boy but your gone. Now I have Gun President, Science Lady and Literally Shulk.

I felt exactly the same when I started running through the sciencetown story dungeon. It was kind of a shock because I was just breezing through the story content immediately prior to that. I basically backed out and ran around doing sidequests that I had ignored, and ran through the overworld area surrounding sciencetown to grind out some levels.

I'll echo the recommendation to grab the Explorer's Guild and the Innovation building for their upgrades. Having the Spellworks up to facility level 3 will unlock the spell research that will allow you to open blue chests, restore broken shrines, and talk to the dead spirits you find in shrines. I would say it's essential if you want to get the most out of exploring the map.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I discovered the errand board thing and recruited like 10 people. They didn't even try writing interesting lines for those npc's and it's kinda funny.

Just line up in a row shouting ASSIMILATE ME KING EVAN. MY LIFE IS YOURS. I AM A SLAVE. then teleporting away. Best one so far is the teacher surrounded by kids who just said "gently caress these children" and left.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Having a level 3 kingdom is awesome already.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there more puzzles like the little Trial of Knowledge thing? That was kinda fun. Not super hard or anything but it's been a while since I've come across a fun puzzle in a JRPG so I hope there are more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I haven't come across any at all yet, I'm afraid.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Harrow posted:

Are there more puzzles like the little Trial of Knowledge thing? That was kinda fun. Not super hard or anything but it's been a while since I've come across a fun puzzle in a JRPG so I hope there are more.

I've completed every sidequest in the game (barring only 065, which I can't figure out how to activate for some reason? The requirements outlined on the guides online can't even agree with one another) and I've not come across a single other puzzle like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:smith:

Oh well. Are the optional dungeons at least fun to do, or are they all just hallways with a couple of side paths?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Harrow posted:

:smith:

Oh well. Are the optional dungeons at least fun to do, or are they all just hallways with a couple of side paths?

Every optional dungeon in this game has one of maybe 4 models (caves, forest, shrine, I think there's a second type of cave) and the dream dungeons, aka randomly generated optional dungeons, use the same set of tiles to make themselves. Honestly it makes the game feel pretty cheap overall! But there's definitely a lot in this game that feels like they ran out of budget, like the way cutscenes play out and such.

I just 100%'d the game, it was alright but not amazing overall. Kingdom building was pretty addicting, combat turned out to be fairly standard difficulty in the end, not THAT easy past the early game, the plot is kinda nonsense with a couple shining moments. There are too many pointless busywork sidequests for its own good. Overall 7/10 game for me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just realized I can just parry every physical attacks.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Infinity Gaia posted:

I just 100%'d the game, it was alright but not amazing overall. Kingdom building was pretty addicting, combat turned out to be fairly standard difficulty in the end, not THAT easy past the early game, the plot is kinda nonsense with a couple shining moments. There are too many pointless busywork sidequests for its own good. Overall 7/10 game for me.

100%'d it too and I feel this. My score would probably be more like 6/10, because the only element of this game that brought me any real joy were the fully animated cutscenes (the ones that weren't characters standing bolted in one spot, silently gesturing at other characters) because they were stunning. Just so well animated and directed! They just never went anywhere outside of visual flare, hell there weren't any scenes that topped the Smiley and Surly Comedy Routine from the first game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Will be fair the Smiley and Surly thing made me cringe so hard I'm pretty sure my head vanished between my shoulders. I know it's a traditionally Japanese routine but I don't think it translated well at all and just made me feeling way more awkward then it prooobably intended.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are the citizen references from Swift Solutions the same ones you can just find as side quests, or are they all unique?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

Are the citizen references from Swift Solutions the same ones you can just find as side quests, or are they all unique?

all unique

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man I can see why this plot makes some people mad after getting further. It really can be insulting at times, hah.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

The game told me that a "rumpus room was detected" on one of the floors in a dreamer's dungeon. Can't find anything about it online. Has anyone found one of these? Wtf is it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Carmant posted:

The game told me that a "rumpus room was detected" on one of the floors in a dreamer's dungeon. Can't find anything about it online. Has anyone found one of these? Wtf is it?

A room with higher level enemies and better item drops, I believe.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

precision posted:

A room with higher level enemies and better item drops, I believe.

Is it hidden or is it just one of the normal rooms

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Geez, I cannot imagine playing a game I consider to be a 6/10 to 100% completion.

Also, those criticizing this game for feeling cheap clearly haven’t played any other recent JRPGs, such as Tales of Berseria. Which, like, good choice, actually.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wendell posted:

Geez, I cannot imagine playing a game I consider to be a 6/10 to 100% completion.

I dunno, that pretty neatly describes my experience with FFXIII. Although to be fair, the postgame stuff was easily the best part.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Wendell posted:

Also, those criticizing this game for feeling cheap clearly haven’t played any other recent JRPGs, such as Tales of Berseria. Which, like, good choice, actually.

To be fair this game has a pretty easy 100%.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

little tip: don't do what I did and keep staff at all your old bazaars, lumber camps, etc. while leaving the new ones empty. The more expensive gathering buildings are strictly better.

Wendell posted:

Also, those criticizing this game for feeling cheap clearly haven’t played any other recent JRPGs, such as Tales of Berseria.

Seriously. NnK2 made me say "holy poo poo JRPGs can actually be polished."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm still annoyed that there are only three weapon types and each character can only use one. You give me this weapon-swapping mechanic but then don't actually do anything interesting with it :argh:

Still blown away by the quality of the character model animations though, holy poo poo

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This game is loving adorable and I love it

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

How long did it take you to 100% the game?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Wendell posted:

I rated it quite harshly because I think the game deserves it for all its flaws and how little it excels at anything, but it wasn't actively bad. I hung on to the bitter end because the gameplay loop was still satisfying enough for me to want to do the extra stuff, it's not even that hard. Blew through a lotta podcasts thanks to this!

I actually played FFXIII, and Berseria only a few weeks before this. The kindest thing I can say about NNK2 is that I was actually interested in doing its side content, as opposed to me wanting to just get those games over and done with ASAP.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

How long did it take you to 100% the game?

My total playtime is about 45 hours. A considerable amount of that will be me idling in Evermore.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FauxLeather posted:

I rated it quite harshly because I think the game deserves it for all its flaws and how little it excels at anything, but it wasn't actively bad. I hung on to the bitter end because the gameplay loop was still satisfying enough for me to want to do the extra stuff, it's not even that hard. Blew through a lotta podcasts thanks to this!

Yep, pretty much tracks with my FFXIII experience as a game I'd rate 6/10 but that I 100% completed anyway. The core gameplay loop was good and fun enough that it kept me going, and the fact that everything after the main story was pure gameplay meant I had a legitimately good time screwing around in the postgame. FFXIII's last superboss is maybe the most fun Final Fantasy boss fight I can think of from a "how it feels to play the game" perspective. If more of the game had been like that, I'd probably rate it among my top five games in the series. It's just that everything before that is so aggressively "ugh" that I can't rate it very highly as an overall experience.

That's off the topic I guess, but just another example of why someone might 100% a game they wouldn't consider super great. I'm still really early in NNK2 so I have no idea how I'm going to feel about it overall

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ZenVulgarity posted:

This game is loving adorable and I love it

:same:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Loving this game so far.

Are there any missable higgeldies? I'm at chapter 4 and pretty sure i have all the ones you find through the story. There was one stone in a cave I couldn't unlock, i think it needed something creamy I didn't have.

And the game didn't give a tutorial for the yellow balls that Lofty drops in battle. How similar are these to the first game? From what I can see it's just a temporary powerup, is there anything else to them?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Loving this game so far.

Are there any missable higgeldies? I'm at chapter 4 and pretty sure i have all the ones you find through the story. There was one stone in a cave I couldn't unlock, i think it needed something creamy I didn't have.

And the game didn't give a tutorial for the yellow balls that Lofty drops in battle. How similar are these to the first game? From what I can see it's just a temporary powerup, is there anything else to them?

There should be a tutorial for them in your help section, I certainly had one.

Anyway they do 2 things, they give you the awakening bonuses from your 4 higgledy groups, and they let you use your skills with no MP so spam away.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

You can revisit all the caves and shrines and such in the post-game, so don't sweat if you couldn't fulfil a higgledy stone request the first time you find it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

There should be a tutorial for them in your help section, I certainly had one.

Anyway they do 2 things, they give you the awakening bonuses from your 4 higgledy groups, and they let you use your skills with no MP so spam away.

Oh okay, I think I missed that part of the tutorial. I was wondering how to make use of those higgledy-boosted versions of skills I could see on the equipment screen. I think none of the fights where Lofty has given me a power-up have lasted long enough for me to actually make use of that yet, but I just finished Goldpaw so I'm still really early on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Oh okay, I think I missed that part of the tutorial. I was wondering how to make use of those higgledy-boosted versions of skills I could see on the equipment screen. I think none of the fights where Lofty has given me a power-up have lasted long enough for me to actually make use of that yet, but I just finished Goldpaw so I'm still really early on.

Those are passive anyway, unless you're talking about the higgledies' active skills which have nothing to do with awakening. For those you just go up to them and press X whenever they have a circle around them.

E: Oh also if you mean the things on the skills where it says "x4 higgledies" that also has nothing to do with awakening, and you do that by holding down the skill button and sucking the right number of higgledies in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've never been able to get the sucking in higgeldies thing to work and I'm convinced everyone is just lying about it

• Locked thread