Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
That Vulture piece is nothing more than a greatest hits collection of the SOLO rumours that have been flying around and is most likely bullshit. For a start off, Lord and Miller were fired way before TLJ even came out and I'm pretty sure the Howard version of the movie was done with principal photography when TLJ was still playing, so this idea that there's pressure that's come down from Disney because TLJ underperformed is nonsense. It may have come in slightly under predictions, but it's currently what, the 9th highest grossing movie of all time. Yeah, I'm sure Disney is quaking over the future of STAR WARS when the last movie made 1.3 billion dollars.

Also, acting coaches are as ubiquitous as reshoots. That the story treats this as 'unprecedented' tells you that it's come from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I knew it.

Analyst predictions, not Disney's. Jesus, we've been over this--that exact WSJ article, in fact--already in this thread. What is with your pathological obsession with insisting that Last Jedi under-performed?

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 27, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Harrow posted:

I don't know what it says about me that I unironically find BotL's posts extremely entertaining but, well, here we are

There's just the perfect balance of "extremely wrong," "deliberately obtuse," and "actually kinda right this time" to be highly readable.

To jump off of this: I hope that Episode IX's creative team remembers that the Rebels/Resistance vs. Empire/First Order conflict works best as a backdrop for character-level drama because of that broadness. I think that's part of why Empire Strikes Back is so much better than Return of the Jedi. Its focus is on specific character conflicts and interactions with the Empire almost filling the role of the zombies in a decent zombie movie--an encroaching, destructive force beyond any one character's control that pushes the characters we actually give a poo poo about into conflict. Return of the Jedi spends so much time on this big, climactic battle between the Rebels and the Empire that the only part of it with any teeth is Luke and Vader in the last act.

I really hope that Episode IX doesn't make the same mistake, really. The First Order isn't any more interesting, detailed, or nuanced than the Empire and it's not going to become that in a single film, so the war is best used as background, not the focus of the story.

That's sort of the gaping difference between ESB and TLJ, which are inversions of each other in their specific narrative beats, but also in their focus. We have no idea how the rest of the rebellion is doing in ESB. We don't know how many escaped, how they set up that base on Hoth, where the next base is, who supplies them, because it's entirely about Han, Leia and Luke.
TLJ tries to make the Resistance, the First Order and their tactics/strategy kind of make sense, which is tricky, because they never made sense before. They never had to, because they were never the focus.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Watching The Last Jedi and just noticed that Yoda tells Luke as the library burns down "there is nothing in that library that the girl Rey does not already possess." Yoda, still a smug prick after all these years.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Basebf555 posted:

Watching The Last Jedi and just noticed that Yoda tells Luke as the library burns down "there is nothing in that library that the girl Rey does not already possess." Yoda, still a smug prick after all these years.

Good ol' 'Certain Point of View' Jedi speak

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

yoda's little scene was the best part of that movie that didn't involve adam driver being on-screen

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

josh04 posted:

'Exclusive insider' tacitly applauds every action multinational corporation take, how unusual.

the source, who chose to remain nameless, adjusted his baseball cap as he spoke

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yoda's scene is emblematic of TLJ's greater problem of being unwilling to state anything plainly.

Luke belief that the Jedi failed both as an institution and as a religion culminates in him (or Yoda?) destroying the last of the Jedi writings, evidently content that Rey is going forward on a new path. This is then undercut by the revelation that Rey had taken the writings, and that Yoda knew of this.

Does that mean that the Jedi were wrong and that Rey has damned herself to follow in their footsteps? But if so, why would Yoda be happy about that? Does Yoda disagree that the Jedi had failed, ignoring that whole debacle where their actions helped lead to the dissolution of the government and decades of tyranny? If not, what should we take from his approval of the theft?

It isn't ambiguous so much as confusing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's the motif of teachers and successors. Luke has made his judgment, and it wasn't wrong but, Yoda deemed it more important that his pupil be the one to decide what to do about it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also, the Jedi failing in their later years doesn't mean the early Jedi were also failures. A new order, returning to the original ideal before they became part of the government, might be good.

..and then they might fall again and rise again.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

This is then undercut by the revelation that Rey had taken the writings, and that Yoda knew of this.

Has this explicitly been revealed yet? Everyone assumes it but we don't see the texts on the Falcon or anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Maxwell Lord posted:

Has this explicitly been revealed yet? Everyone assumes it but we don't see the texts on the Falcon or anything.

Uh...yes we do?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

So does everyone just read the same language in the Star Wars universe?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, watch the movie again. A drawer on the Falcon is open, and we explicitly see them.

Like, the fact that you mention not seeing them on the Falcon makes me think this post is satire, since we see exactly that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a very quick shot

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a very quick shot

yeah it comes so fast i didn't even recognize what the books were and was confused as to what the point of that scene was until i got online

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

hiddenriverninja posted:

So does everyone just read the same language in the Star Wars universe?

There's a lot of different alphabets in use in the series, actually

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Alphabets

Depends on which planet or part of the galaxy you're in

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also, the Jedi failing in their later years doesn't mean the early Jedi were also failures. A new order, returning to the original ideal before they became part of the government, might be good.

That's just Star Wars for you, throughout all the books and games and comics since 1983; the Jedi fail and fall, the Sith return and the Empire always strikes back.

The chronological last story in the old EU was about an Old Republic Jedi who fell to the dark side returning 100 years after the movies as a Sith Lord and leading the reformed Empire to destroy the Jedi Order and overthrow the New Republic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's just Star Wars for you, throughout all the books and games and comics since 1983; the Jedi fail and fall, the Sith return and the Empire always strikes back.

The chronological last story in the old EU was about an Old Republic Jedi who fell to the dark side returning 100 years after the movies as a Sith Lord and leading the reformed Empire to destroy the Jedi Order and overthrow the New Republic.

I think there was a Cracked article, quite a while ago, showing how the EU just kept repeating itself over and over, with new jedi who inevitably fall to the dark side. There were also a whole bunch of versions of the death star.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

i mean the jedi's biggest problem in the prequels is basically their fear of "sith oppression" and an unwillingness to adapt to anakin's needs

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Elfgames posted:

i mean the jedi's biggest problem in the prequels is basically their fear of "sith oppression" and an unwillingness to adapt to anakin's needs

Also that as 'guardians of the peace' they're pretty loving useless.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I had actually seen this movie during its release and didn't feel the need to post about - not because I didn't like the movie but because talking about Star Wars online can get really, really weird and frustrating sometimes. But seeing it on store shelves got me inspired to dive in.

Not having read any of the last 7,000 posts, I'm sure we already discussed to death how the The Last Jedi is a quasi-apologia for running the Star Wars franchise into the ground, right? The jedi in the movie being a metaphor for Star Wars in general and all that.

Well, I appreciated this direction the filmmakers took. I was pretty much Luke Skywalker, nearly skipping on this movie because I didn't think we needed anymore Star Wars movies and feeling a touch resentful (to a small degree, I promise - I realize it's just a movie) that The Force Awakens kind of ruined the ending to the original trilogy*. Then this movie, like Yoda appearing before Luke, basically says "Yes in a way it does suck that they won't stop making Star Wars movies, but there's not really anything we can do about that, there are forces (har) larger than us at work here, we just have to make the best of the situation (i.e., try to make as good a Star Wars movie as we can)." It put a smile on my face and got me to be a better sport about this whole Star Wars thing.

*(Funny enough, with just one line The Last Jedi kind of fixes this for me. "For many years the galaxy was at peace..." Honestly I think this was all I needed. The Force Awakens made it seem like the war just kind of never really ended. (In general, I also felt this got the look and feel of a Star Wars movie down more than The Force Awakens did, which felt a tad 'off', like I was watching a really good impression of Star Wars rather than the actual thing.))

Another nifty thing about this movie is that the idea of "The Force is the characters' vague understanding that their lives are scripted" has always been a favorite theory of mine and this one comes the closest to validating it. You have freakin' Rey saying out loud "I just want to know what my part is in all of this!", just one step away from asking "What's the point of my character?" Definitely the most meta of the Star Wars movies.

Speaking of Rey, though, I think the biggest flaw in the movie is the massive missed opportunity for this character. We learn that her parents are nobodies who sold her into slavery - and more importantly that she knew this the entire time and couldn't bring herself to admit it - and we get no real reaction from her at all. We could've - should've - seen her bare her soul here. We are now 2/3 of the way through this apparent trilogy and I still don't feel like I really know Rey at all. It's to Daisy Ridley's credit that I still want to stick by her character and root for her regardless because with a less engaging actress I can see myself giving up on her.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's really telling that the Star Wars instagram posted a mini-clip of a new scene from Solo, a movie that is coming up in two months, but even the Star Wars Leaks subreddit hasn't posted it and are instead watching the TLJ blooper reel

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

tbf the blooper reel is amazing

edit also link i don't see no mini clip

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 28, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerkface posted:

tbf the blooper reel is amazing

edit also link i don't see no mini clip

I'm guessing OP meant this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgwFB_oBY7c/?hl=en&taken-by=starwars

Which is hard to even call a "mini clip", however you'd define that.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Wasn't that clip from one of the trailers in any case? That's not new.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/mlukebrown/status/978991959946743811?s=21

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 28, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Soggy Cereal posted:

It's also in the name. It's an order that thinks of itself as "first," as in hearkening back to a previous time, and superior.
If you want to get into details, the problem here is that the First Order is not an order. (The Jedi, on the other hand, are an order.)

Timby posted:

Analyst predictions, not Disney's. Jesus, we've been over this--that exact WSJ article, in fact--already in this thread. What is with your pathological obsession with insisting that Last Jedi under-performed?
Capitalism is my religion so I need its outputs to validate what I think is good and bad.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I collect these things and even that was a bit too much for me but thankfully only comes in the deluxe box.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Great angle.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I'm guessing OP meant this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgwFB_oBY7c/?hl=en&taken-by=starwars

Which is hard to even call a "mini clip", however you'd define that.

Teek posted:

Wasn't that clip from one of the trailers in any case? That's not new.

yikes well in fairness i cant remember anything from the trailer

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Even Obi-Wan is impressed by Palpatine's Schwartz

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

"I seen you"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guys, HUGE plot hole in The Last Jedi!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPg__kEZ6YM

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Can you spoil it for me so I don't have to waste time watching a video?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Guys, HUGE plot hole in The Last Jedi!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPg__kEZ6YM

Everyone in Star Wars is just a really big Full House fan.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Auralnauts Episode 6 is coming this Friday. I think I'm more excited about this than Solo.

https://twitter.com/Auralnauts/status/980501369865023488

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Shanty posted:

They don't have citizens and FN's backstory sort of establishes that all the storm troopers have been brainwashed since childhood anyway, so it's doubly pointless. It's just a massive ego-stroke for Hux. It's the trappings of fascism applied to, I guess, feudal lordship? Again, it's sort of unclear what the New Order actually are, since their relationship with the rest of the galaxy is so obscure.

2 movies in.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

Can you spoil it for me so I don't have to waste time watching a video?

It's a pretty complicated and far-reaching reading. I don't know if somebody could just sum it up in a post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

Auralnauts Episode 6 is coming this Friday. I think I'm more excited about this than Solo.

https://twitter.com/Auralnauts/status/980501369865023488

cannot loving wait end of an era :rip:

any idea if theyre doing ST