Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Saw that one of the early quests in Sevtech needed parrots. Wandered far and wide for jungle, nothing. Installed a Biome Finder mod (Nature's Compass). Searched Jungle, Jungle Hills, Jungle Edge, Jungle M, etc.
No results within a radius of 10,000 blocks. :stare:

Guess I'll just cheat them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Saw that one of the early quests in Sevtech needed parrots. Wandered far and wide for jungle, nothing. Installed a Biome Finder mod (Nature's Compass). Searched Jungle, Jungle Hills, Jungle Edge, Jungle M, etc.
No results within a radius of 10,000 blocks. :stare:

Guess I'll just cheat them in.

I don't see that quest at all, and I'm halfway through Age 1.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Was this in a single play session? Sometimes Astral Sorcery's starlight data will just utterly poo poo the bed, and a restart is necessary to fix it.

Hmm I dunno, I was trying all weekend. I sometines exit to the main menu but leave it running minimized overnight. Ill do a fresh boot and give it another shot.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I don't see that quest at all, and I'm halfway through Age 1.

It's the one that involves summoning the hunter boss for his bow. You need parrots to convert to eagles for eagle bones for part of the ritual thing. I found a miniature jungle biome a few chunks across... probably will go back and see if there are any parrots there.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

It's the one that involves summoning the hunter boss for his bow. You need parrots to convert to eagles for eagle bones for part of the ritual thing. I found a miniature jungle biome a few chunks across... probably will go back and see if there are any parrots there.

Ah, that's why -- I skipped the hell out of that quest. I read the description of the boss fight in the totemic book and I was like "yeaaaahhhh maybe later." Turns out it's completely optional!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm just getting started in age 1, but I will say this about SevTech Ages: When you find an ore vein, it is enough to last for a very long time. This is a Teallite (Tin) deposit. It's 8 blocks high, 9 wide and 17 long (based on a bit of digging). That's roughly 1200 tin ore...

Also, I've never thought much of horses before but they are a legit way to travel. I managed to find a jump 1.6 speed 3.1 horse and it seems to be better than 95% of everything else. I haven't looked up the numbers on the wiki to see what the absolute best is, yet. I may see myself getting into minecraft horse breeding...

e. has anyone had luck getting Animalium bears to spawn? I just need 1 more claw for the bear claw paxel but I can't find any more.

e2. and of course i get one to spawn just after posting this. thanks, random gods.

e3. i wonder what loving mod is making animals run away if I place a block. Certainly makes penning them in a lot harder.

e4. I do love whatever mod lets me repair stone pickaxes with cobblestone in the 2x2 grid. No crafting endless pickaxes.. just use the same one ~forever~.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 27, 2018

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Wow. I just discovered a feature in SevTech Ages that I think is undocumented. You can sneak-rclick on various stuff, chests, furnaces, machines, and you'll pick it up preserving the contents and can set it down elsewhere. You can pick up and move barrels full of water, too.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ambaire posted:

Wow. I just discovered a feature in SevTech Ages that I think is undocumented. You can sneak-rclick on various stuff, chests, furnaces, machines, and you'll pick it up preserving the contents and can set it down elsewhere. You can pick up and move barrels full of water, too.

Chickens, too :911:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

This is from Carry On. It is in MSB2 and MSB3, as well. It works great for animals, but adult buffalo are too large. This was irritating when I was still in Age 0, and the only way to corral animals was to put them in a two-high pit. I'd break the walls to lead a buffalo into a kill chamber, and the other animals would freak the gently caress out and run around.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
For everyone playing Sevtech you probably want to open the Abyssalcraft config and turn off random shoggoth spawning in the overworld. It's one thing to unleash the local destruction of an ominous cavern leading into the ground. It's another thing to roll a double gently caress-you and have a random spawn of shoggoths turn your base, all of it's machines and infrastructure, and all of your animals into ooze.

Or I guess you can do the "correctly playing minecraft" thing and never ever let it be night-time.

EDIT: Important correction. Shoggoths no longer destroy blocks in this version of abyssalcraft.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 27, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I never saw a shoggoth around on land in the overworld. I had to go searching for one of the dens, and it took a while. :v:

Probably not as long as it would have taken for me to find a parrot, if I had bothered.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Oh yeah, I feel like I rolled the "get hosed" lottery in some ways. But it's not exactly hard to see exactly what open patch of ground the horrible ooze monsters spawned on.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i learned the hard way that shoggoths are quite possibly one of the worst mobs a minecraft mod has ever added

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

For those of you playing SevTech, here's a stumbling point that I overcame that might save you some trouble. Early into Age 1 you'll be instructed to make a dowsing rod for finding ores. There's no documentation on these things, but after asking some folks I found out that they way they work is they measure in a straight line 32 blocks away, only one block wide. They aren't like the prospector's picks from TFC where the search area is a cube. In order to find ore, you need to go to the depth that the achievement (or Prospector's book) indicates, and test the floor and ceiling all over in the area to find where the ore is.

To add to this, I asked someone in the discord and they said the number the rod returns is the number of ore blocks in that line. Suddenly stuff started making a lot more sense.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MSB3 question for those who're further along: is there supposed to be something unlocked under the combo of Better Automation and Better Storage?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

Posted a bit ago about prefab buildings - it's possibly overpowered, but just found https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/prefab and seems to be what I was looking for.

Does this put down a guide you can then build from using your mats? Or does it just plop the building down using cheated mats and all?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

Does this put down a guide you can then build from using your mats? Or does it just plop the building down using cheated mats and all?

It plops a building down. I was introduced to the mod in Craft of the Titans where it gives you a starter house prefab to set where you like, which was really nice. The blueprints are kinda expensive though.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Evil Mastermind posted:

MSB3 question for those who're further along: is there supposed to be something unlocked under the combo of Better Automation and Better Storage?

Yes, IIRC it unlocked the Cooking for Blockheads and Actually Additions chapters for me. This was in Staged mode and on the previous version of the pack, though, I'm not sure if things have changed in the latest version.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Black Pants posted:

It plops a building down. I was introduced to the mod in Craft of the Titans where it gives you a starter house prefab to set where you like, which was really nice. The blueprints are kinda expensive though.

Yeah. You're definitely getting more material out of the building than you put in, but the mod adds 'compressed' recipes for a bunch of stuff like stone and bricks, so a given blueprint for the factory for example is like 800 odd smooth stone and a bunch of paper and lamps and stuff. It's cheaty if you turned around and harvested the buildings for materials but that's not my plan so yeah. I just wanted to have more of a pre-made layout.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, I need help again because I'm still not great with Botania.

Here's my current setup:

I need to start making terrasteel, which seems to need a poo poo-ton of mana. What's the easiest way to up my managen? More endoflames?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Waaaay more endoflames. Also use a Mana Splitter with a Mana Pool on each side, and point your Mana Spreaders at the splitter itself, which will evenly distribute the mana to each of the pools, allowing you to store more.

Make sure you have a spreader per 8 or so endoflames, btw.

Also unless you plan to leave them going while you afk for several days, you'll need a more proactive fuel source than a few hopping bonsais.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 27, 2018

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Also unless you plan to leave them going while you afk for several days, you'll need a more proactive fuel source than a few hopping bonsais.
Yeah, I figured I need some sort of automated bonsai-to-furnace-to-open-crate setup for coal, which I know is better fuel.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My primo suggestion is a TiCon Lumber Axe with Auto-Smelt (and if the pack has it, a tool part with Global Traveler) which you will then take to giant jungle trees. The problem with bonsai trees is that they output a lot of sticks and leaves (and apples if you're using oak) that will be useless for you and clog up an auto-furnace setup.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Black Pants posted:

My primo suggestion is a TiCon Lumber Axe with Auto-Smelt (and if the pack has it, a tool part with Global Traveler) which you will then take to giant jungle trees. The problem with bonsai trees is that they output a lot of sticks and leaves (and apples if you're using oak) that will be useless for you and clog up an auto-furnace setup.

Yeah, I did this (didn't check the global traveler part, don't think we have it open though) but I recommend using 2x2 spruce saplings instead of jungle, since they're a bit less mess to deal with and tend to drop more saplings consistently. At this stage saplings just happen to be extra dirt for you too if you get extra, so don't forget about that.

you can do a pressure plate / dropper setup to semi-automate endoflames too, which was relatively easy, but did break from time to time for me and needed to be reset. Long story short though you just need a bunch of endoflames. I did 36.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Black Pants posted:

You can use a single 1x1 storage drawer as a simple filter with a hopper underneath, you just put one wood in the drawer, lock it and then put the hopping bonsai on top and from then on it'll only pull wood from the bonsai tree.

You then put one on top of a furnace, one on the side and get infinite (if slow) charcoal.

I think I had 50 of those going early MSB3 to get my diamond production going.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really admire how smooth and sensible the progression in Sevtech is. It's slow going but every stage flows logically into the next.

Basic wood, fiber, and flint -> Stone tools -> Competency in woodworking/stoneworking -> Animal husbandry and animal-powered simple machines -> Discovery of ore, metals -> Delve into the reality-bending nest of Shoggoths to steal the statue of an elder god and listen to its dark whispers -> metalworking

It all kinda works as you'd expect, surprisingly down to earth.

Also for anyone who's setting out to the "hunt shoggoths" part of Age 1 and like me thinks maybe a bow would help, do not actually fight the Baykok. Other than being your standard bad Minecraft bossfight (it's not even a boss, just a skeleton with 200 health and rapid fire that a stone shield can't defend against), it appears the Baykok quest is actually broken and though he drops a bow with arrows you can't actually use them. This looks like a bug people are aware of but as far as I can tell no fix has been pushed yet.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i think my favorite modpack besides blightfall is the simple life.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Also for anyone who's setting out to the "hunt shoggoths" part of Age 1 and like me thinks maybe a bow would help, do not actually fight the Baykok. Other than being your standard bad Minecraft bossfight (it's not even a boss, just a skeleton with 200 health and rapid fire that a stone shield can't defend against), it appears the Baykok quest is actually broken and though he drops a bow with arrows you can't actually use them. This looks like a bug people are aware of but as far as I can tell no fix has been pushed yet.

There's also the fact that the shoggoths are immune to ranged damage. I killed them by abusing the fact that Minecraft is a game that allows you to pick up and place blocks, and made murderholes in the sides of their cave to ineffectually tickle them with a stone sword.

The latest patch fixes the Baykok thing, but if it's still stuck for you, turn cheats on and type /gamestage add Playername baykok

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Why is that? I tried to find out more information but the description on the modpack page is frustratingly sparse.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bouchacha posted:

Why is that? I tried to find out more information but the description on the modpack page is frustratingly sparse.

it doesn't gently caress around too much with recipes, the quest book is really easy to understand and everything is well explained and described. I like the way the quest book is laid out.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what's good about the simple life? I love blightfall, so maybe we have similar tastes in packs

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also The Simple Life is so straightforward and versatile that I did my play of it in a Lost Cities map, which provided a refreshing change of pacea.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Simple Life 1 or 2?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay what's wrong with my alchemical fusion table? It consumes more ingredients than it should and leaves phantom items in the GUI. From what I can tell it seems to be a huge bug with how it's coded, where it uses the catalyst yield efficiency for the ingredients rather than the catalyst.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

Okay what's wrong with my alchemical fusion table? It consumes more ingredients than it should and leaves phantom items in the GUI. From what I can tell it seems to be a huge bug with how it's coded, where it uses the catalyst yield efficiency for the ingredients rather than the catalyst.

Can you give an example combination? Phantom items in the GUI are intended, it lets you set a hopper or something like that. The efficiency should be both the ingredients and the catalyst.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The phantom ingredients are just the list of the last stuff put in there; it only accepts items pumped into it that you've placed in there manually.

And yes the alchemical table is supposed to use the catalyst yield numbers. Primus alchemy dust is 75%, so you get 75% of an output for each set of inputs. The amount of output you get is based on the recipe though.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, I need help again because I'm still not great with Botania.

Here's my current setup:

I need to start making terrasteel, which seems to need a poo poo-ton of mana. What's the easiest way to up my managen? More endoflames?

As others have said.

Get about 20 endoflames. then about 10-20 bonsai trees dropping their stuff on them will get you tons of mana.

I did read above somewher that there is a flower that eats cake? and that astral sorc lets you turn pumpkins into cake? thats the route im going to try when i get there.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

As others have said.

Get about 20 endoflames. then about 10-20 bonsai trees dropping their stuff on them will get you tons of mana.

I did read above somewher that there is a flower that eats cake? and that astral sorc lets you turn pumpkins into cake? thats the route im going to try when i get there.

i tend to do potato farm with hoppers/cart round the outside which usually produces waaay too much mana and I end up using the red flux block to turn mana into RF

What we need is a flower that can take RF and turn it into mana
or that we can pipe mana out of pools and into liquid storage in AE or even Bedrockium Drums

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheresaJayne posted:

What we need is a flower that can take RF and turn it into mana
or that we can pipe mana out of pools and into liquid storage in AE or even Bedrockium Drums

That's Technomancy, a Thaumcraft addon. It does literally both of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Meskhenet posted:

As others have said.

Yep, focusing a collector crystal on pumpkins turns them into cake, which a gourmaryllis can eat for a decent amount of mana. Really simple setup for free infinite mana. AS is a couple of chapters away from Botania, though.