Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Old people who think the world revolves around them.

I work admissions at a hospital, and I was trying to check in a baby with breathing problems and this old guy comes up and starts rambling while me and the mom are getting her checked and then he gets mad because I'm "not polite"
because I'm a little busy taking care of this baby that's turning blue

But sure whatever you old gently caress I'll just drop everything to smile and nod at your idiot story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I work with cancer patients which is fairly fulfilling for what would otherwise be a grinding hospitality job but a lot of our guests are old and sometimes they're so cranky. Also, I love it when they say something like "but I'm sick!" or "my wife has cancer!" to try to get a room discount or to leverage their anger about limited parking because everyone here is sick that's the point of our entire operation. On the other hand I understand their emotional duress but holy poo poo some people really do go around looking for things to feel publicly martyred over.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have a theory that some people in an old folks home or hospital feel better simply because they look at everyone else in the room and think they are better off than the others. Like, no matter how serious their condition is they see someone asleep in their bed across the way and just go "At least I'm not him. What a loser!" even as they are waiting for a wheelchair to take them to a bathroom.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

We put the cat in the back room with the dogs when we go to sleep but the cat always runs and hides when it’s bedtime

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When you email to find out why something is broken and when it might be fixed, and they respond by just telling you that it's broken. I know, that's why I emailed. What was the point of even responding if you're only going to tell me the exact thing I just told you? Even "we don't know when (or if) it will be fixed" is a more helpful response.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

When you email to find out why something is broken and when it might be fixed, and they respond by just telling you that it's broken. I know, that's why I emailed. What was the point of even responding if you're only going to tell me the exact thing I just told you? Even "we don't know when (or if) it will be fixed" is a more helpful response.

More people in general need to be more willing to admit they don't know. Cut the "we understand your frustration and ask you to bear with us" bullshit. It's not going to make me switch to another company if you say "everything's all hosed up because of ____ (a storm, for example) and we aren't sure the extent of the problem yet".

I also hate how a lot of the time the first person you talk to when you call customer service who wastes like 10 minutes taking your information and listening to the problem doesn't have the authority/ability to fix the problem, so you get transferred to someone who can and go through the same poo poo again after waiting 20 minutes on hold. Just cut out the middleman and have the people who can actually fix something answer the phones from the beginning.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Peeve: my mom likes to leave the TV on when she's not watching it, and is usually in another room playing Facebook games. So if I don't have my headphones on, in one ear it's Judge Judy, and the other is a chicken bubble screaming game.

TURN OFF THE loving TV YOU CAN'T WATCH IT WHEN YOUR BACK IS TURNED TO IT.

And then when you turn off the TV because nobody has looked at it or even been in the same room as it for six hours, everyone in the house comes loving RUNNING to ask why you turned it off. I've been around tons of people that do this and it's bizarre. I try to set a good example and don't even have speakers hooked up to my PC, but no, everyone needs to blast the weather channel at 120 decibels at all hours.

If you really need something to make noise, just get a white noise machine or a fan or something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If you really need something to make noise, just get a white noise machine

Yeah it’s called a TV

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I keep the TV on most of the time because even if I'm not paying 100% attention to it, I am a little bit and will occasionally hear something interesting/entertaining. A white noise machine is never interesting/entertaining. After all, people don't keep their TV on static.

The ones that play weather noises and all that are more interesting but I'd still rather have TV on. Also please don't disparage the noble Judge Judy Cowslips Warren. Her show is pretty fun to watch as far as daytime TV goes and I watch it almost every day on youtube as I get ready for work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I also hate how a lot of the time the first person you talk to when you call customer service who wastes like 10 minutes taking your information and listening to the problem doesn't have the authority/ability to fix the problem, so you get transferred to someone who can and go through the same poo poo again after waiting 20 minutes on hold. Just cut out the middleman and have the people who can actually fix something answer the phones from the beginning.
I don't mind going through the different tiers, but what's with the places that have a computer ask you for your name, account number, etc only to have the human who answers the call ask you for the exact same information? What's the point of me telling the computer anything if it doesn't pass that information on?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

And then when you turn off the TV because nobody has looked at it or even been in the same room as it for six hours, everyone in the house comes loving RUNNING to ask why you turned it off. I've been around tons of people that do this and it's bizarre. I try to set a good example and don't even have speakers hooked up to my PC, but no, everyone needs to blast the weather channel at 120 decibels at all hours.

If you really need something to make noise, just get a white noise machine or a fan or something.

I hate going to peoples houses who leave the TV on all the time. I do leave a movie playing in the background when I'm working. I do put something playing on my phone when I'm cooking, but I don't pay attention to it. It's just noise and it helps me focus.

I'll sit down in the living room at my in-laws house and they always have the TV on. The thing is, you can't have a conversation. They get sucked into whatever is on the screen. It won't even be something worth watching. They'll stop mid-sentence to watch a Tide commercial. If you're the kind of person that needs background noise (which I am) it's supposed to help you focus. If it distracts you enough so that you can't talk, turn the drat TV off. Also, please turn off the TV if you're having a sit-down dinner with the whole family. Please don't re-position the dinning room table so you can watch NCIS at Thanksgiving dinner.

Also, NCIS sucks. My mother-in-law watches NCIS marathons and couldn't possibly repeat a single plot line. It's like she's a zombie when she watches TV.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lol if you don’t just sit in a completely silent house, devoid of the slightest sign of joy or life, and just wait for death to take you and end the paralyzing existential dread that fills your every waking moment

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People chatting makes for a pretty lively sound, I've discovered.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I put these on for background noise sometime because I am a terrible dork http://arcade.hofle.com/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I hate this, but 90% of call to customer service are from people who are barely literate, and they don't want to send out a technician because some mouth-breather unplugged the router.

It's similar with training classes, a lot of stuff is stupid as hell to most people, but if they don't cover it in training, someone will trip through a loophole and drink battery acid. It's annoying as hell because most people have enough common sense that prevents them from getting all their fingers chopped off because they thought using the lawn mower to trim their hedges was a good idea.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
People who rants about picky eaters if you express any food preferences. I like to cook, I enjoy trying new foods. But I have found there are two things I really do not like: Celery, and dill. Celery has a nasty, bitter flavour, and dill overpowers anything else and tastes bleh. Also, first time I ate celery I got a horrible stomach bug, so maybe that is mentally telling me celery was to blame? Sorry celery and dill lovers, I just do not like these tastes. I guess that makes me horrible and tricky in some people's book? And yes, I will taste it when you try to trick me by just adding a little bit mixed in with a lot of other things. Please, can you just accept a no celery or dill for me, please?

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I agree with everyone about having to call a call center for anything is uniformly terrible but I had a new annoyance when I called one a few months ago:
Me: Hello, I'm having a problem with my service.
Call center drone: Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I understand that your service interruption is an inconvenience and we here at *Company* want to do everything we can to fix the issue. I hear you and want you to know that I am dedicated to resolving your issue and to get you up and running as fast as possible. Furthermore....."

It seems weird to complain about someone be too polite but the fake way it was said to me let me know the person was reading a script anyway and didn't give a poo poo about my issue other than to get me off the phone. I want to be treated well when I call about an issue but the fake platitudes went on for so long I almost interrupted them to ask "Can we get to resolving my issue at some point?"

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I love the taste of celery, but completely understand why someone wouldn't. Same with alcohol, smoke, aged cheeses... I only really get peeved when they hate most things. I know someone like that, and she's also severely anemic. Might be related!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

I don't mind going through the different tiers, but what's with the places that have a computer ask you for your name, account number, etc only to have the human who answers the call ask you for the exact same information? What's the point of me telling the computer anything if it doesn't pass that information on?

I did internet/telephone customer service for comcast a while back. We had to do that because our computer would automatically pull up the customer’s account page when the call came in, except it wasn’t always correct so we had to confirm and, if necessary, find the correct account.

Between the customers and loving Comcast itself, that was a soulcrushing job. At the time the policy was Comcast charged 70 bucks if a tech had to go out and do something “the customer could have done themself” like a power cycle. Reasonable, except half the time it was some single elderly person who physically couldn’t move a desk out of the way, undo a coax cable, etc. It could be heartbreaking. This was when nobody really had a wireless modem, and comcast didn’t supply routers. So if it was determined that the router was to blame and the comcast line to the modem was working fine, we basically just had to tell them to gently caress off.

King of Foolians posted:

I agree with everyone about having to call a call center for anything is uniformly terrible but I had a new annoyance when I called one a few months ago:
Call center drone: Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I understand that your service interruption is an inconvenience and we here at *Company* want to do everything we can to fix the issue. I hear you and want you to know that I am dedicated to resolving your issue and to get you up and running as fast as possible. Furthermore....."

It seems weird to complain about someone be too polite but the fake way it was said to me let me know the person was reading a script anyway and didn't give a poo poo about my issue other than to get me off the phone. I want to be treated well when I call about an issue but the fake platitudes went on for so long I almost interrupted them to ask "Can we get to resolving my issue at some point?"

100% chance their call is being monitored and they’ll get chewed out if they don’t use Company-approved Customer Service Technique

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

King of Foolians posted:

I used to work at a call centre and had to do that because otherwise we’d get dinged on our reviews because we weren’t showing enough empathy. It sucked because you were also expected to handle a call in a certain amount of minutes, so unless I knew I was being monitored I usually just tried to go for speed and said “screw it” to the overblown empathy.

Edit: hello fellow Comcast support goon. Yes, that job was one of the worst things I ever did.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

I used to work at a call centre and had to do that because otherwise we’d get dinged on our reviews because we weren’t showing enough empathy. It sucked because you were also expected to handle a call in a certain amount of minutes, so unless I knew I was being monitored I usually just tried to go for speed and said “screw it” to the overblown empathy.

Edit: hello fellow Comcast support goon. Yes, that job was one of the worst things I ever did.

To be clear my anger is toward the people who make you do that. These people have clearly never had to call customer service themselves. I don't want smoke up my rear end, I want a solution from someone who knows better than I do how to do it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Those decisions are usually made by middle management types who want to effect some kind of arbitrary change so they look effective and enjoy nothing more than having smoke blown up their rear end, so these two disgusting compulsions merge and ruin the lives of everyone beneath them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My most productive couple of months when I worked tech support for BlackBerry was when because of a glorious glitch, QA couldn't record my calls. I just went no bullshit, cut the chuff, and had most people fixed for good within half an hour.

Then they sold our building and didn't tell us until 15 minutes before the end of our last shifts :smith:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
When someone posts a YouTube video about something that's 10+ minutes long, without a timecode for the important bit.

I get it, I've got the attention span of a gnat, but there are times when I just want to see the part you're talking about.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I did internet/telephone customer service for comcast a while back. We had to do that because our computer would automatically pull up the customer’s account page when the call came in, except it wasn’t always correct so we had to confirm and, if necessary, find the correct account.
I actually had to phone Centrelink today and went through the bullshit where the robot asks you for your CRN only to have the person who actually answered the call ask me for it again, so I asked what the point was in having the robot at all if it wasn't passing the information on, and she had no idea the robot even existed. She got no information from it at all - not which number I'd dialled, not what options I'd selected to get to her, not my name or CRN - nothing. Obviously based on what department she works for she had some idea of what the call was about, but the computer makes you select from certain options to specify what your issue is within that department and then apparently does absolutely nothing with that information, and asks you your CRN and verifies your identity and then does nothing with that information either.

Here's another pet peeve: Literally everything about Centrelink.

I had to phone them today because they noticed that the income I reported to them in 2014 was different to the income I reported to the ATO. I was only reporting to Centrelink for part of that year and they know that. There's a clear and obvious reason for the discrepancy (which they knew about and accepted at the time), but they're still making me dig up payslips from four years ago to explain it again. And I have to phone them back next week to make sure it's been sorted out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

When someone posts a YouTube video about something that's 10+ minutes long, without a timecode for the important bit.

I get it, I've got the attention span of a gnat, but there are times when I just want to see the part you're talking about.

So skip to it.

If someone put time into making a video (even dumbfucks like the Paul brothers) they don’t want you watching half of it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

So skip to it.

As you could've clearly seen had you read the post before quoting it, I specifically mentioned that the peeve is when someone doesn't put in a time code so that it's impossible to "skip to it", because I don't have any idea where It is to skip to it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

So skip to it.

If someone put time into making a video (even dumbfucks like the Paul brothers) they don’t want you watching half of it.

Speaking of an entirely different pair of Paul brothers (aka the Barbarian Brothers), one of them went sort of nuts, and also makes YouTube videos.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The place I work at is in a fairly busy historic downtown district, my building being a short walk away from a crosswalk in either direction and right across the street from a fancy restaurant. This means I have a front row seat to entitled motherfuckers blindly jaywalking across the street constantly, often having the nerve to yell at the drivers that had to screech to a halt to avoid flattening the dumb fucks.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

As you could've clearly seen had you read the post before quoting it, I specifically mentioned that the peeve is when someone doesn't put in a time code so that it's impossible to "skip to it", because I don't have any idea where It is to skip to it.
if only there was a way to move your cursor to the progress bar, and then move backwards/forwards in the video like that. guess we'll have to keep waiting for such a thing to appear.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Elizabethan Error posted:

if only there was a way to move your cursor to the progress bar, and then move backwards/forwards in the video like that. guess we'll have to keep waiting for such a thing to appear.

As you could've clearly seen had you read the post before quoting it, the pet peeve is having to do any searching like that for the one thing I'm supposed to watch in a video.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

As you could've clearly seen had you read the post before quoting it, the pet peeve is having to do any searching like that for the one thing I'm supposed to watch in a video.
You: it's impossible to skip to a certain point because ????
everyone else: no it's not
you: durrr its impossible reread my psots

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Am I the only one who read his post and comprehended it? Linking to the correct time in an embedded video is built right into the forums now, there's no reason to not do it.

Even if you can't do that, a simple "hey, the relevant bit is at 3:39" is great.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Am I the only one who read his post and comprehended it? Linking to the correct time in an embedded video is built right into the forums now, there's no reason to not do it.

Even if you can't do that, a simple "hey, the relevant bit is at 3:39" is great.
what definition of the word 'impossible' means 'can only be done sometimes, if not lazy/MrBibs'. must be missing from the dictionary for some reason.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
They can read the posts, but they just refuse to.

Elizabethan Error posted:

You: it's impossible to skip to a certain point because ????
everyone else: no it's not
you: durrr its impossible reread my psots

Maybe you like hunting through a ten minute video title Basketball Lands On Car for the moment where the car or basketball is actually on screen. I don't, because you should link to the moment the car drives up when you link to it, so I don't have to.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Mar 28, 2018

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

They can read the posts, but they just refuse to.

Maybe you like hunting through a ten minute video title Basketball Lands On Car for the moment where the car or basketball is actually on screen. I don't, because you should link to the moment the car drives up when you link to it, so I don't have to.
whatever dude. just because you can't figure out the preview feature on youtube videos doesn't make it 'impossible' to search a video for something.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
As you could've clearly seen had you read the post before quoting it, I never said it was impossible.

It's just annoying to do it, when the person linking a ten+ minute video and the thing I want to watch is at 7:52. Or 3:45.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

As you could've clearly seen had you read the post before quoting it, I never said it was impossible.

It's just annoying to do it, when the person linking a ten+ minute video and the thing I want to watch is at 7:52. Or 3:45.

MisterBibs posted:

it's impossible to "skip to it", because I don't have any idea where It is to skip to it.
:allears:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

MisterBibs posted:

MisterBibs posted:

someone doesn't put in a time code so that it's impossible to "skip to it", because I don't have any idea where It is to skip to it.

You can hold your cursor over the video bar and a little window will usually pop up showing you what is playing at that time, making it actually really easy to skip to a relevant part (unless the video is entirely a talking head or something).

Granted, my pet peeve is that the little window doesn't always pop up, so there's that.

E: ^^^ dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

So if someone posts an hour long video with a single line/visual gag that the person was discussing you really wouldn't mind skipping around the entire video trying to catch the moment on a single frame alone? I always post timestamps, not doing so is obnoxious unless you are discussing the whole video. And even with the little window, that only works if its a visual thing like a guest star - you can scrub through the video looking for the face certainly, that is easy, but if it's a funny line it's almost impossible to tell when it's being said based on the position on one persons mouth for one frame.