Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many times have you died fighting Tachibana Muneshige

In the first fight, like three? That one was pretty easy. In the optional fight, have no idea. That took a bit.

Basically last time I played a bunch I spent like maybe two hours one the giant water blob, probably fighting him at least 20-30 times before getting through him. After that I did an optional mission where you had to fight two waves of enemies and a Tengu and while it took less time, I felt far worse at the game fighting the Tengu than I did fighting the blob.

I then moved onto the next continent where I did the optional missions there, one had me fighting a scantily clad flying woman, which took way longer than it should because she summons like 4 elemental skulls. Then I did one where you fight an axe guy on a bridge which took me at least a dozen tries not getting even close until I had one run where I killed him, only needing to heal once.

So I've just had area after area in this that have made me feel terrible at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
The Yuki-onna and Oda Nobunaga battle in Nioh is some of the most fun I've had with a videogame since Revengeance

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just played my second round of tabletop Battletech with friends yesterday and it was rad! The first couple turns had an unlucky dude with lovely rolls basically drunk drive his hover tank into the woods and crash into an immobile heap. And then a dude in a brony shirt some fancy shmancy overpowered speciality Mad Cat fell over and took pot shots at us while being outright wrong about the rules for firing weapons while having a ridiculous amount of armor so we had to make up new rules so people wouldn't try to powergame anymore. Tabletop games are cool!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really need to get around to Nioh because the idea of an Irish swordsman battling yokai on behalf of Tokugawa summoned by Edward Talbot and John Dee on orders from Queen Elizabeth to weaken Japan is loving insane. It even has Yasuke in it goddamn!!

Anyway look out for my video game about Estevan the Moor who is granted magic powers by Quetzalcoatl to defend Mesoamerica from the Twelve Apostles and Cortes and you're guided by Ambrose Bierce who traveled back in time 400 years after discovering the city of Carcosa he had dreamed about in Chihuahua.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

precision posted:

Actually FC5 reminds me of new Vegas in a lot of ways now that I'm thinking about it
this cant be right

new vegas had a coherent, interesting meaningful message throughout

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

I really need to get around to Nioh because the idea of an Irish swordsman battling yokai on behalf of Tokugawa summoned by Edward Talbot and John Dee on orders from Queen Elizabeth to weaken Japan is loving insane. It even has Yasuke in it goddamn!!

Anyway look out for my video game about Estevan the Moor who is granted magic powers by Quetzalcoatl to defend Mesoamerica from the Twelve Apostles and Cortes and you're guided by Ambrose Bierce who traveled back in time 400 years after discovering the city of Carcosa he had dreamed about in Chihuahua.

They gently caress the telling of it so badly its one of the worst composed game stories in years

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

They gently caress the telling of it so badly its one of the worst composed game stories in years

Well rip the bandaid right off why don't you.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Games cool tho

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

In the current era of Final Fantasies that's pretty damning.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its deffo more confused than the launch cut of ffxv and yeah thats mindblowing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i didnt have any trouble following the story in nioh because i played samurai warriors

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nioh is a total mess storytelling-wise but it's also goofy in all the right ways so I found it really entertaining.

Meanwhile FFXV is a confused mess but not in a very entertaining way.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Nioh is a total mess storytelling-wise but it's also goofy in all the right ways so I found it really entertaining.

Meanwhile FFXV is a confused mess but not in a very entertaining way.

Very true

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFXV makes complete sense and I don't understand everybody and their mother calling it an incomprehensible pile of crap

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

FFXV makes complete sense and I don't understand everybody and their mother calling it an incomprehensible pile of crap

Ya because it makes sense its in a class above nioh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Well, "confused" and "confusing" are different things. I mean more that it's really disjointed, jumps around a lot, and leaves way too much of the important plot and character development for the DLCs, prequel anime, and movie. It's not that a reasonable person couldn't follow what's going on, but that the way the story's told makes it hard to really get invested or care.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

In Training posted:

Its confused in the sense that it doesn't know what kind of game it wants to be. Well, it knows what it wants to be but its two games with completely conflicting stories. Square wanted to do a young bro roadtrip but also a completely standard "evil war of nations" plot at the same time. The result is two stories that are at odds with each other and mesh together so poorly that they rely on a loving time traveling DOG to not lock you out of content.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 28, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is so incomprehensible about Nioh?

You chase the MacGuffin. You cross paths with a bunch of Sengoku peeps. You get the MacGuffin. The End

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is so incomprehensible about Nioh?

You chase the MacGuffin. You cross paths with a bunch of Sengoku peeps. You get the MacGuffin. The End

william's reason for being there is clear enough. why anything else happens is not imo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Nioh has the disadvantage of being a Souls like, a genre whose namesake barely forces any story onto you, so the way the story is handled in Nioh combined with how uninteresting it is just makes it feel more extraneous than a it normally would. I don't fine it bad or anything but it's just sort of there.

Anyways, I beat the obligatory spider geisha boss on my first try, and even though she is clearly a pretty easy boss, I feel a little better about my skillz.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Think I might be changing my mind on trying Far Cry 5 out as the night wears on

Skryim Except With Guns doesn't sound too bad

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

william's reason for being there is clear enough. why anything else happens is not imo

I felt bad at the White Tiger moment, so at the very least the story worked on that level

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Think I might be changing my mind on trying Far Cry 5 out as the night wears on

Skryim Except With Guns doesn't sound too bad

The two things I know are that Ubisoft has gotten much better at exploration-based gameplay lately (including AC Origins, which also did away with the standard towers -> icons approach) and that it's probably best not to care much about the story of a Far Cry game. You're there to gently caress poo poo up and cause chaos. The story's going to try to look like it's all deep and philosophical but it isn't. It's just a backdrop for you loving poo poo up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Harrow posted:

The two things I know are that Ubisoft has gotten much better at exploration-based gameplay lately (including AC Origins, which also did away with the standard towers -> icons approach) and that it's probably best not to care much about the story of a Far Cry game. You're there to gently caress poo poo up and cause chaos. The story's going to try to look like it's all deep and philosophical but it isn't. It's just a backdrop for you loving poo poo up.

I was okay with that in Just Cause 2 and I'm just as okay with that in this, I reckon. We'll find out when it finishes downloading, I finally caved like you all no doubt expected me to :v:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Harrow posted:

That's how I've been approaching it but every time I'm forced back into a story moment, I actually get angry. Like, every plot beat seems like it's there just to insult the player and their time. I haven't beaten it yet, but having watched how the game ends, the moral of the story seems to be dangerous people should be allowed to do as they please because they may take wildly drastic actions when backed into a corner and that's dumb even for ubisoft standards.

Edit: Though I guess that's expected given the choice at the end of 4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Farcry games are afraid of boss fights and its lame

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bosses in FPSs are always bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nope

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Always bad

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tired: bullet sponge fps bosses
Wired: set piece fps bosses

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lmao, I forgot that Darksiders had a Star Fox section.

By the by, what's with goons' hateon for DS2? Is it because of the added loot mechanics?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The second half is rough as i understand it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DS2 is outclassed by Dark Souls 2

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

Lmao, I forgot that Darksiders had a Star Fox section.

By the by, what's with goons' hateon for DS2? Is it because of the added loot mechanics?

MMO loot and it's just kind of pointlessly padded. As I recall, it's like basically every dungeon is the black tower from the first game.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wasn’t Darksiders 2 the game that clearly ran out of budget at some point and had to make the last coupleof locations small and linear (this describes a lot of games tho.)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

Bosses in FPSs are always bad

I'm actually curious what some good FPS bosses are. I thought Doom 2016's were really fun but nothing else comes to mind.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the worst fps bosses were in mid 2000s stuff like return to castle wolfenstein

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Return to Castle Wolfenstein's single-player is just bad in general.

Why yes I would like to fight tons of hitscan enemies and a have forced stealth mission in a game with absolutely no stealth mechanics.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When I was a kid I couldn't beat Geist because one of the bosses would possess you and force you to run into a fan. If you didn't mash A fast enough it was an instant kill and my tiny fingers could not manage.

That's what I always think of when people talk about FPS bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Deus Ex 1 had the right idea in that the bosses weren't especially any beefier than normal enemies so you can just straight up oneshot them.

• Locked thread