Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm a few missions in and the game is definitely fun but very formulaic and the amount of random events that are constantly in your face certainly adds to that. I like the "guns for hire" system a lot though. Nick Rye is a cool buddy he will drop bombs and strafe roads for you

quite a lot of cultists have a certain resemblance to cavemen from 10,000BC...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

They should really let you side with the villain in the next one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Doing some testing on the side of a barn, it looks like this is one of those games that tightens the spread of shot by a about 50% when you ADS.

Skeezy posted:

You mean the villains other than these haters trying to destroy my legitimate private religion that you're playing as?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

A Sometimes Food posted:

The Polygon review was more "fun but holy poo poo the writing blows, it uses all this imagery then pussies out of doing anything interesting with it and it's trying to make you feel bad for enjoying it like Spec Ops did but that poo poo's old". Which I mean, is actually pretty accurate. It's still way too fun to give a 6.5 to, so I disagree with the score but if you're someone that really focuses on writing I can understand it. Polygons' schtick, outside of being left, is focusing on writing and writing reviews for people that get really hung up on writing so...

Edit: The Polygon video team are loving loving it.

Yep, this is pretty much my big issue with the game, I'm having fun running around this entertaining Far Cry sandbox with my buddy in co-op, but the story keeps interrupting our fun to be like "OH YOU LIKE VIOLENCE HUH", but, like, no, I'm here to hang out and have fun with my friends, stop trying to make this some statement about man's lust for power and violence, especially when you've spent years handcrafting it to be fun. I'm sure Drew Holmes is a lovely person, but Bioshock Infinite had the same issue, I'm really looking forward to games getting away from trying to be meta about judging you for playing the finely crafted experience fine tuned to be a pleasurable experience to play.

Game's still awesome, don't get me wrong. But we need a new trick in our writing, please.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

is this thing super CPU heavy or something that my i7 3770 is choking it? I was led to believe it would run like a dream at 1080p on my 1070 and i'm struggling to maintain 60fps on ultra.

I've tried fullscreen, borderless, etc.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

Is anyone else having a problem in the air combat missions where the enemy plane just does a 180 and flies directly into you, blowing you up? I keep getting kamakazied after filling it with bullets.

this happened to me the first couple times I did the "air raid" mission, but then when i tried it again the enemy plane stopped turning or shooting and then just flew slowly in a straight line until I shot it down. figured the game was shaming me

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

shortspecialbus posted:

These flamethrower motherfuckers that can eat like 3 rifle magazines can gently caress right off. They're everywhere and annoying as hell.

Ghostride vehicles into them, melee takedowns (they will seriously fall for the old MGS footprint trick), explosives, AP ammo (you can loot it off high ranking dead cultists sometimes, otherwise get the black market perk) and my go-to, sniping their fuel tank if I'm somehow out of RPG ammo.

They're so slow you can lead them to a box, crouch behind it then walk around and beat the back of their head with a shovel.

Same applies to LMG fatties though one of my random downeds' was shovelling a LMG fatty, two extra LMG fatties split from his body, noticed the corpse and turned around to shoot me point blank. Grace picked me back up but it's good to know that the enemies can stack inside one another, if the spawn rate wasn't enough to contend with.

Fart City posted:

Okay, what the hell is up with the VIP dudes. They seem to have what can only be described as an insane amount of health, and in turn do an equally absurd amount of damage with whatever weapon they're using. I dumped five sniper rounds into one of them and they kept on coming. Standard mooks go down after one, and that's center mass - not even headshots. Has anyone figured out a surefire way to take care of these dudes? I'm assuming explosives, maybe?

Explosives work but it's overkill when takedowns and throwing knives are easy, silent solutions. I know a third weapon slot is high priority but buy the takedown perk too. You can chain a takedown from a nearby grunt or you can perform a sidearm takedown which is a OHKO regardless of sidearm and gun them down. You can kill a heavy dude with a peashooter. Mow down five mooks and a VIP in a split second with a suppressed uzi.

So long as there's a single oblivious goon in a group of enemies, the sidearm takedown is a cone of death in front of you.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I took Hurk fishing.

It wasn't as peaceful as fishing normally is.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Skeezy posted:

You actually are the villain in like every Far Cry game. 4 especially

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish Ubi hadn't gone so hard on homogenizing their open world games. I just recently played Ghost recon Wildlands (until I burned out) and the differences between it and this are so minor I was just like "hoo boy I guess we are doing this again". They all just kind of blur together.

At least this one tries to shake it up a bit but it's not enough to feel new. I keep buying them because they look so loving nice and play pretty well at this point. And I enjoy them to an extent and I'm sure I'll end up playing this a decent amount. But it's like, cmon dudes enough with the 10 guys standing around a building waiting to get stealthed/shot/blown up.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In Far Cry: Primal you literally prevent the Neanderthal race from saving themselves from extinction

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

AndrewP posted:

is this thing super CPU heavy or something that my i7 3770 is choking it? I was led to believe it would run like a dream at 1080p on my 1070 and i'm struggling to maintain 60fps on ultra.

I've tried fullscreen, borderless, etc.

Maybe my expectations are way lower since I haven't been keeping up with hardware for many years but getting 60fps on ultra in any newly released game with a 6-7 year old cpu seems...ambitious. I am also running a 3770, but with a 1060, and getting a very solid ~60fps on high at 2160x1080.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Okay yeah you're right, I guess what I mean is they should let you side with the "villain" character (Pagan Min, Seed, etc)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Idk, Far Cry 3's "Rich White Boy gets tribal tats, snorts coke, and murders relentlessly so that his gf will put out" was certainly something.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cyber Commando Rex Power Colt is a true American hero :911:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Something about Seed's appearance annoys the gently caress out of me. He looks like he should be playing bass for Jared Leto.

Also I am watching the new season of Better Call Saul and it just occurred to me that nacho is Vaas after 3 seasons :aaa:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Idk, Far Cry 3's "Rich White Boy gets tribal tats, snorts coke, and murders relentlessly so that his gf will put out" was certainly something.

Getting some rear end is a much nobler goal than turning a nation into a drug/pedophilia empire

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
I hate the flight controls. Being unable to separately bind yaw and roll is driving me insane.

edit: Also pretty underwhelmed by the lack of weapons variety and mods . Far Cry 4's was so much better.

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 28, 2018

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

jadebullet posted:

Are there any vehicles to ambush like the tea trucks in 4? I've always enjoyed sitting in ambush and taking out the trucks with explosives or other tactics.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I will say that vans of cultists are just way too common, to the point that if you try and fight one another will pull up quickly and its extremely easy to end up with a flood of them on some random stretch of road.

I played for about 4 hours tonight, and I think I had more fun than I've had playing any game for a long time.

After playing normally for a while, I noticed that the evil cultist dudes seemed to do regular patrols along a stretch of road I was near, so I decided to grab a nearby tractor and partially block the road, just to see what the AI would do.

The first bunch drove around it, so I killed off the dudes in the second truck that showed up a minute or two later, and parked it next to the tractor. A couple more minutes...third truck spotted me and stopped. I killed the two guys and moved the truck next to the other vehicles, blocking the entire road.

Long story short, about 90 minutes later, I was impressed that the game didn't show any sign of bogging down, because I had probably at least 30 vehicles, many of them on fire, some having exploded, piled up on this stretch of road, surrounded by a sea of bodies, with more guys showing up all the time, frantically shooting at me and screaming, "Where is he? Do you see him?!"

In the mean time, friendlies were trying to drive through as well, and freaking out, and running dudes over, and heading off-road into the woods and bouncing over rocks and crashing into fallen trees and doing crazed 3-point turns trying to get to the other side of this little circle of hell without dying themselves.

For icing on this cake of madness, every now and then I'd be attacked by a wild turkey charging out of the woods and flinging itself at me; often it was on fire from gobbling through the flames.

It was epic. I was laughing so hard I was crying. Best game 2018.

Mandrel posted:

i will say so far the random events are way too loving much. you literally cant walk five feet or stand still for five seconds without one spawning on top of you. i get held up for 20-30 minute on a random patch of road because as soon as I kill one truck full of idiots and loot their bodies a second truck arrives, then another, then another. just piling up into a big dipshit murder pile. it feels bugged or something, its absurd

It's indeed absurd, and it's fantastic, IMO. Also, Dipshit Murder Pile would be a great thrash metal bandname.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Klisejo posted:

I hate the flight controls. Being unable to separately bind yaw and roll is driving me insane.

The closest I have found is just tapping the direction rather than holding it down, it gives the closest thing to yaw.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Maybe my expectations are way lower since I haven't been keeping up with hardware for many years but getting 60fps on ultra in any newly released game with a 6-7 year old cpu seems...ambitious. I am also running a 3770, but with a 1060, and getting a very solid ~60fps on high at 2160x1080.

Ehhhh even on high it's not solid. Something weird going on I think.

Only other problem so far is that there's no lean. I've been playing a lot of STALKER recently and I miss lean!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
This game might not be super original, but I still love clearing out an outpost with a bow.
Also, I agree the random events are a bit much. I stopped at that cider plant near Rae-Raes, and spent about 20 minutes there in a constant firefight. A flamethrower guy showed up, I took his flamethrower and got the challenge complete, then dicked around with the mortar. Turns out while fun to hunt bison with one, it doesn't count.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I was driving down one of the roads, and saw something weird moving up in the distance. As I got closer, I saw that it was a bear.

Chasing a cultist on an ATV.

Who was shooting at a civilian that they were chasing.

I tossed a couple of sticks of dynamite out the window as a I passed on their left. A couple of seconds later I got the "civilian rescued" prompt.

Five stars.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I fought a turkey in hand to hand combat 10/10.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Beastie posted:

Who won?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The biggest turkey.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 28, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beastie posted:

I was hanging out in a house and listening to a tape and a skunk ran in and poisoned me and ran off never to be seen again. Apparently skunks are poisonous and real assholes.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Are rifles/handguns hitscan or projectile? I really cannot figure it out (there is a tracer but no idea if that is cosmetic or actually indicative of ballistics)

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

CitizenKain posted:

This game might not be super original, but I still love clearing out an outpost with a bow.

Bowlover here. The bow in this game is definitely a bit better than last time, it feels like the arrow hits have more oomph now. I like the bloody *thump* when landing arrows in peoples skulls.

Also agreed that holy poo poo less random encounters please. I'm avoiding roads now cause if I stray too near it's just gonna vomit an endless amount of jesus pickups at me.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

A turkey ran straight for me after I had murdered p much everything in a quarter mile. I think it wanted to get eaten only by the mightiest warrior.

Also, please tell me I will eventually stop tripping my balls off on bliss in the Faith area. I hate that woman with every fiber of my being.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NM found it

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 28, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lets face it this is the co-op game that destiny 2 wanted to be.

How do you cancel a bow shot on the Xbox? Im holding ADS and holding the right trigger, decide not to fire, let go of ADS and hit X as the promo says but then when I let go of the trigger the drat bow fires.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Don't worry guys the turkeys are under review. https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/978730828762148865?s=19

Noirex
May 30, 2006

This is much needed. I fought one while we were both on fire and I died.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
In the weird spot where it seems like I've done almost everything for the southwest area, my RP is like 11.5/13, and while there are little side missions left there is no obvious prompting for how to advance the story so I'm just running around looking for trouble.

[edit] YES nerf the loving turkeys, holy poo poo they are more dangerous than mountain lions. Although maybe on federal eating holidays turkeys should get doubly powerful?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Noirex posted:

This is much needed. I fought one while we were both on fire and I died.

Nothing will stop hell turkeys from spilling blood.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Does anyone on console actually enjoy the combat? I think it's a big let down and makes the whole game a chore.

It must play better on pc judging from the comments. Or maybe I've just been spoiled by Siege and the previous games were just as bad.

Also lol at the giant statues being essentially the new radio towers after saying they removed them.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So with a human coop buddy, can I still have AI buddies with me?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Vahakyla posted:

So with a human coop buddy, can I still have AI buddies with me?

Yep, but only the host can recruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Far Cry 3's story was offensively stupid, I don't buy for a second that "no it was COMMENTARY, mannnn" interview

Perhaps a better way to put it would be "satire requires a clarity of purpose and target lest it be mistaken for and contribute to that which it intends to criticize"