Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Another improvement would be H and Artemis ending up together because Wade did the opposite of what Halliday did by being a goony sperg who wouldn't take no for an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I was given a recommendation from Back Hack to tackle Monster Hunter International next. This was an easy solution, partly because I could get a Kindle copy for free and partly because this is the synopsis:

And this is the author bio on Amazon:

If you do, do be aware the narrator is hella biased, and it's intentional that traits he hates in the rival character are traits that he himself has but he is woefully oblivious too in the first book. Also it's not just the rival character but the way the protagonist views everything is biased it's a good bit more obvious when I reread the series for book 6...(I'm actually a fan).

Also I would maybe recommend doing the first John Ringo MHI tie in instead, it's quite a bit trashier.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I was given a recommendation from Back Hack to tackle Monster Hunter International next. This was an easy solution, partly because I could get a Kindle copy for free and partly because this is the synopsis:

This has the added "bonus" of being an additional level of awful because Larry Correia is actually a Gamergator/Sad Puppy/alt-right loonie.

Have fun with that one...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
In a perfect world, Wade swears off Art3mis and gets together with Aech.

Listen I don't care that she's a lesbian, they have the most wonderful bromance anyway. I suspect half the reason she's a lesbian to begin with is just an excuse for this scenario to not happen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This book sounds like an even better thread now!

I found this quote from a review of the film:

quote:

Ready Player One reveals its true id in a heated scene between Wade and Sorrento (a classic of the “We’re not so different, you and I” variety), in which Sorrento tries to recruit Wade for his evil plans and Wade rejects his offer, growling “A fanboy knows a hater.”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Renegret posted:

In a perfect world, Wade swears off Art3mis and gets together with Aech.

Listen I don't care that she's a lesbian, they have the most wonderful bromance anyway. I suspect half the reason she's a lesbian to begin with is just an excuse for this scenario to not happen.

They did that at the end of .hack//SIGN. The two main characters fell in love in the game world, only to find out later that they were both girls and one of them was playing with a male avatar. So they both went “eh, gently caress it,” and started dating anyway.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

They did that at the end of .hack//SIGN. The two main characters fell in love in the game world, only to find out later that they were both girls and one of them was playing with a male avatar. So they both went “eh, gently caress it,” and started dating anyway.

It's actually really interesting digging into psychological impacta of e-culture and how it relates to LGTBQ relationships. It's way, way over my head objectively speaking but it comes down to a lot of current cultural trend is falling in love with the person and tolerating the body, whereas we usually fall in love with the body and tolerate the person.

Tolerate isn't the right word but you follow the concept I hope. I suppose "become comfortable with" is more accurate but still markedly off.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Hooooo boy. We switch from GamerGate to Libertaria. Yeah, read that too. A friend and I have a joke I should have my own hashtag - #IReadTooMuch.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

quote:

I climbed into the chair and felt it adjust to fit the contours of my body. A robotic arm extended from the chair and slipped a brand-new Oculance visor onto my face. It, too, adjusted so that it fit perfectly. The visor scanned my retinas and the system prompted me to speak my new pass phrase: “Reindeer Flotilla Setec Astronomy.”

I took a deep breath as the system logged me in.

I was not expecting a Sneakers reference.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

I was not expecting a Sneakers reference.

How, exactly?

And you don't cite the Tron reference either?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

chitoryu12 posted:

Fair warning; those books are worse than RPO. I made it half-way through RPO, but I bailed on MHI after a chapter when they made the first Sluggy Freelance reference.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I posted about this in the old RPO thread in GBS, but if you want a glimpse at the howling wasteland that is Ernest Cline's inner life, you should check out "Atari: Game Over" (it was on Netflix last I checked). It's a documentary about a Hollywood idiot who believes he's located the landfill where Atari dumped all those game cartridges they couldn't sell back in the Eighties, and sets about excavating it because ???.

Cline hears about this, and naturally he wants to watch. So he jumps in his Delorean thing and drives all the way to Alamogordo (I think he lives in Austin so that's like a ten hour drive) like this:

Unable to convince or even bribe anyone to come with him on his nerd road trip, not with all his millions. Driving for hours with only a doll for company. On his way to dig up thirty-year-old trash for no purpose whatsoever, a perfect metaphor for his whole career, and not a jot of self-awareness about any of it ever entering his bearded head.

That's what I think about when I think about Ernest Cline.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I've always read that Cline had hidden an easter egg in the book itself and that someone eventually found it and won a prize (a DeLorean, I think?). However, I could never find anything about the nature of that easter egg - probably because a search for "Ready Player One" and "easter egg" will mainly yield results about the plot of the book.
Does anybody know what the hidden egg was?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
My favorite line from 372 Pages so far is when they were talking about the sexbot and masturbation passage. "Let's see how the award winning director of Schindler's List handles that scene."

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Dave Syndrome posted:

I've always read that Cline had hidden an easter egg in the book itself and that someone eventually found it and won a prize (a DeLorean, I think?). However, I could never find anything about the nature of that easter egg - probably because a search for "Ready Player One" and "easter egg" will mainly yield results about the plot of the book.
Does anybody know what the hidden egg was?

Sounds like it was more interesting than most of the book!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Also I would maybe recommend doing the first John Ringo MHI tie in instead, it's quite a bit trashier.

I would love to see this, I could use some more Ringo insanity while Cyrano is taking a break from his Let's Read.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Clipperton posted:

I posted about this in the old RPO thread in GBS, but if you want a glimpse at the howling wasteland that is Ernest Cline's inner life, you should check out "Atari: Game Over" (it was on Netflix last I checked). It's a documentary about a Hollywood idiot who believes he's located the landfill where Atari dumped all those game cartridges they couldn't sell back in the Eighties, and sets about excavating it because ???.

Cline hears about this, and naturally he wants to watch. So he jumps in his Delorean thing and drives all the way to Alamogordo (I think he lives in Austin so that's like a ten hour drive) like this:

Unable to convince or even bribe anyone to come with him on his nerd road trip, not with all his millions. Driving for hours with only a doll for company. On his way to dig up thirty-year-old trash for no purpose whatsoever, a perfect metaphor for his whole career, and not a jot of self-awareness about any of it ever entering his bearded head.

That's what I think about when I think about Ernest Cline.

They wanted to excavate it because at the time, it was an urban legend. The ET tie-in game for the Atari destroyed the company so badly that they just dumped all the copies they had in a landfill. So the story goes. Turns out it was just a general inventory dump because the entire video game industry was crashing at the time and they couldn't really sell anything then.

Before he left, Cline also went to a game shop in Austin and got every copy of every Atari game the guy who worked on the ET game worked on they had because...:shrug: So the entire time, he was also driving around with a trunk full of Atari cartridges for... some reason. It doesn't show him selling them or anything.

The documentary is also on Youtube and is pretty neat if you're interested at all in the history of Atari as a company. Cline is barely in it. He was just tagging along because "OMG NERDGASM" and doesn't contribute to the dig in any way.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Her mother, Marie, worked in an online data processing center using a white male avatar; she supported OASIS for its ability to allow anyone to pick whatever form they wanted, eliminating racism and sexism from the digital environment

Everyone can be a white man! Racism and sexism are over!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

This has the added "bonus" of being an additional level of awful because Larry Correia is actually a Gamergator/Sad Puppy/alt-right loonie.

Not just a member, he started the whole Sad Puppy thing because he thought his goddamned MHI books weren't receiving their entirely justified (in his head) nominations to win the Hugo Award.

I've even read the first two, which weren't great, but if you could ignore the politcs and the odd BS reference which God knows I've learned to do in a lot of books, they were reasonably competent 'Fiction I read on the Train to/from work books'. But the arrogance to think he was being cheated of what is widely considered the most prestigous award in Science Fiction and Fantasy just beggars belief.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 27, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm not a regular to the subforum but I've been having fun here. If Chitoryu can link his next let's read in this thread when he starts would be great. :kiddo:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

I'm not a regular to the subforum but I've been having fun here. If Chitoryu can link his next let's read in this thread when he starts would be great. :kiddo:

I always drag people along.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The Kindle of Sisyphus

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

nerdz posted:

Everyone can be a white man! Racism and sexism are over!

I know a lot of people aren't fond of them turning Aech's avatar into an orc, but I'm kind of in favor of it for sidestepping this sad little jab at life lesson.

MHI road around in my car for a year and my cousin picked it up and decided to challenge himself to finish it. When he realized he was spending his free time reading old case law for fun instead, he made it the only book in the bathroom and it still took 6 months. Have fun with that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I only just now found this thread. Have you guys talked about LitRPG fiction? Because that's basically what RPO led to and it's somehow even worse.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

I only just now found this thread. Have you guys talked about LitRPG fiction? Because that's basically what RPO led to and it's somehow even worse.

"I killed a rat. It dropped two gold coins and a rat tail. I needed nineteen more rat tails to finish my quest. I cast fireball at another rat. It dropped two rat tails and 3 coins. I needed seventeen more rat tails to finish my quest"

That what you're referring to?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I'm assuming it involves Drizzt somehow.

Having Wade think people look like their avatar and then being surprised/angry that they do/don't look like their avatar would make less sense in the movie where pretty much nobody resembles their avatar. You've got people going around as Spartans and Overwatch characters, Art3mis is a pixie girl, even Wade himself is an Anime.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PJOmega posted:

"I killed a rat. It dropped two gold coins and a rat tail. I needed nineteen more rat tails to finish my quest. I cast fireball at another rat. It dropped two rat tails and 3 coins. I needed seventeen more rat tails to finish my quest"

Yes. But somehow worse.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

there wolf posted:

I know a lot of people aren't fond of them turning Aech's avatar into an orc, but I'm kind of in favor of it for sidestepping this sad little jab at life lesson.

MHI road around in my car for a year and my cousin picked it up and decided to challenge himself to finish it. When he realized he was spending his free time reading old case law for fun instead, he made it the only book in the bathroom and it still took 6 months. Have fun with that.
I mean it'd be interesting to explore how Marie's decision was in and of itself steeped in racism and sexism, even if it was a response to it and just trying to sidestep that, and then maybe Aech is like, 'I'm not going to pretend to be a white dude but maybe I'll pretend to be something entirely fantastic instead'. Like she's still presenting as a guy in OASIS but not doing the racial thing.

That's way too many layers of introspection for what I suspect will be a mediocre action-adventure flick (which is a massive improvement from the book). Like from what I'm gathering about Aech, although it's not like Cline is good at characterization anyway, is she's definitely butch? So I could see going with an orc even with the racial connotations, the problem is she's not an actual person making this decision but a character, and it's not like black people in the USA are allowed to be like... strong, enjoying (virtual) combat and taking pride in their strength without also being seen as stupid, brutish, and animalistic. I dunno how I'd square that as a writer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gnome de plume posted:

I'm assuming it involves Drizzt somehow.

Indeed. The Drizzt books, Forgotten Realms, and the early Dragonlace books were all based off Dungeons and Dragons sessions that were later work shopped into actual novels. The latest advent of the LitRPG in recent years has been more web-based audio/visual content like Critical Role and The Adventure Zone.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Gnome de plume posted:

Having Wade think people look like their avatar and then being surprised/angry that they do/don't look like their avatar would make less sense in the movie where pretty much nobody resembles their avatar. You've got people going around as Spartans and Overwatch characters, Art3mis is a pixie girl, even Wade himself is an Anime.

The thing is he knows people don't look like their avatars because he himself doesn't look like his avatar. Nobody does, except for Artemis kind of because he jerks off to her avatar. This should not be a surprise to someone who grew up using this thing. Wade is so dumb but because he's the hero and he's somehow memorized every 80s thing ever (that nerdy boys into scifi/fantasy liked) he's presented as being smart.

nine-gear crow posted:

They did that at the end of .hack//SIGN. The two main characters fell in love in the game world, only to find out later that they were both girls and one of them was playing with a male avatar. So they both went "eh, gently caress it," and started dating anyway.

Subaru, the in-game girl, is also paraplegic and loves the VR world because it lets her run around. Nobody's avatars match their real personas. That's the whole point of escapism!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

nine-gear crow posted:

Indeed. The Drizzt books, Forgotten Realms, and the early Dragonlace books were all based off Dungeons and Dragons sessions that were later work shopped into actual novels. The latest advent of the LitRPG in recent years has been more web-based audio/visual content like Critical Role and The Adventure Zone.
I think part of what made the Balance campaign in The Adventure Zone work so well is if you're 100% serious about the kind of big stuff that happens in a major roleplaying campaign it gets boring so instead having a party of assholes relentlessly pushing themselves into more and more trouble is funny.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

I mean it'd be interesting to explore how Marie's decision was in and of itself steeped in racism and sexism, even if it was a response to it and just trying to sidestep that, and then maybe Aech is like, 'I'm not going to pretend to be a white dude but maybe I'll pretend to be something entirely fantastic instead'. Like she's still presenting as a guy in OASIS but not doing the racial thing.

That's way too many layers of introspection for what I suspect will be a mediocre action-adventure flick (which is a massive improvement from the book). Like from what I'm gathering about Aech, although it's not like Cline is good at characterization anyway, is she's definitely butch? So I could see going with an orc even with the racial connotations, the problem is she's not an actual person making this decision but a character, and it's not like black people in the USA are allowed to be like... strong, enjoying (virtual) combat and taking pride in their strength without also being seen as stupid, brutish, and animalistic. I dunno how I'd square that as a writer.

Because it's a mediocre action-adventure flick is why I'm glad it's taking steps to avoid having to explain why Aech would choose to present to the world and her friends as a big white dude. Choosing and orc isn't great, but I doubt the thought process went much farther than whats a buff, male power fantasy that is also not human so we don't have to deal with the politics of that.

It's not good; it's just preferable to trying to translate Clines "in the digital world there will be no racism because you don't know who's really white or not" idea to film.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

changing aech's character to something more visually fantastical than just a buff white guy sounds like a good move for a visual medium, underlining that it's a video game avatar (unless they actually wanted to explore the racial aspect of being able to pass as the majority no matter what you look like, which could've been neat but it sounds like they weren't interested in that)

didn't necessarily have to be an orc though

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

PJOmega posted:

Yeah, basically. That could be an except from any number of 'LitRPG' novels on Amazon or free online.

Not the weird idea of 'I turned my DnD sessions into a novel' that I'm seeing. I've never seen the term LitRPG used where it could mean 'those DnD books with Drizzt'. LitRPG is where characters literally talk about improving skill points and levelling up and the prose is often rife with stuff that looks like it came out of a MMO buffer.

"LitRPG, short for Literary Role Playing Game, is a literary genre combining the conventions of MMORPGs with science-fiction fantasy novels. LitRPG is a literary genre where games or game-like challenges form an essential part of the story."

RPO was just a few years ahead of the curve.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I think you'll find that this litRPG you're talking about is just a nerd poo poo restatement of a good old-fashioned training montage

You know, from the 80s :madmax:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I can actually believe that. Real live people who are rich and powerful keep the craziest criminal things on record.

Yeah, IOI recording the murder and keeping it was the least unbelievable thing so far.

To use a very current real world example, you know the gymnastics doctor who sexually assaulted all those young girls and how the gymnastics organisation which employed him is pretending they knew nothing and are all innocent? One of their directors was just found with video of one of the assaults on his own computer.

So, yeah, IOI murder video isn't that unrealistic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leofish posted:

The thing is he knows people don't look like their avatars because he himself doesn't look like his avatar. Nobody does, except for Artemis kind of because he jerks off to her avatar. This should not be a surprise to someone who grew up using this thing. Wade is so dumb but because he's the hero and he's somehow memorized every 80s thing ever (that nerdy boys into scifi/fantasy liked) he's presented as being smart.

Wade actually does look like his avatar in the book, just an idealized form that’s buffer and has more handsome features. Daito, Shoto, and Aech are the only characters in the whole book with known real world appearances who explicitly don’t look like a tweaked version of themselves (and Aech still used her own features as the basis for her white dude, hence the same smile), not counting the Sixers other than Sorrento all using the default male avatar.

In an escapist world where you can be and do anything, pretty much everyone actually described just makes an avatar that looks like themselves and Wade gets uncomfortable when someone doesn’t.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

chitoryu12 posted:

In an escapist world where you can be and do anything, pretty much everyone actually described just makes an avatar that looks like themselves and Wade gets uncomfortable when someone doesn’t.
Post your OASIS avatars.

An eyeless space monster fire chicken with a shotgun that instills the fear of an unknowable metagod into regular god.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Either a christmas color Nidus from Warframe or a Kamen Rider of some sort for mine. Probably Ex-Aid :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fish Noise posted:

Post your OASIS avatars.

Constantly spinning

• Locked thread