Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Aw. The launch discount expired and I didn't have the cash to spare at the time. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Has animal handling taken any leaps forward over the last year? I recall pets being dead all the time and resurrecting having some dumb low percentage chance.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm primarily hammer / AH. I saw some patch notes about improvements a few months ago that didn't seem to affect me. I haven't kept up with the last few months of updates though. I will say that the added animal types you can tame have had the biggest impact for me. Once you get a high level bear or Grimalkin, get some armor with pet stats and you're ready for anything but dungeons. Why no dungeons? Pet pathing remains dumb and between insanely fast mob respawn speeds and high agro radius, your going to spend most of your time worrying why your pet pathed through a wall or why it's suddenly dead and you have 30 goblins running after you. It brings back some pretty nostalgic EQ1 memories but that gets old quick. For open world where you have more control over agro, you're basically unstoppable.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I'll probably give this a whirl again soonish, don't have all that much else to kill time with over the coming spring. I think I'm in a goonguild too, unless it melted or someone booted me.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Got around to re-install and all. I noticed there's a new cartography skill and coincidentally, my maps are now blank. Is there a cheap and easy way to increase movement speed to map stuff? Plodding through the lower level areas is gonna get old otherwise. Also, was there a way somewhere to get back on the newbie island thing?

e: also lol at the steam page

quote:

we expect that Project: Gorgon will be in Early Access for about a year.

I'd say that's... optimistic :shepface:

Fewd fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 22, 2018

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you

Fewd posted:

Also, was there a way somewhere to get back on the newbie island thing?

Go to the docks in the norther part of Serb, you can pay the boatman to take you back to the island.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Game's not free anymore?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
nope, it's buy to play now

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And at $40, it is a pretty steep price in the current state of it.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Yeah, that's full on price for a (very) early-access game. Somehow the $30 mark was more palatable and even that I know was high for a perpetually early-access game. I did pull the trigger and buy the drat thing, but I knew what I was getting into when I did it. I doubt I would've touched it without knowing I already enjoy the game.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I'm pretty sure I played the game a few days ago a little on my old alpha intallation before actually buying it from Steam anyway. Which is now making me confused. But I get confused easily.

Anyway. Like above, I knew what to expect from the game and I got heavy nostalgia goggles towards this kind of thing so, eh.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fewd posted:

I'm pretty sure I played the game a few days ago a little on my old alpha intallation before actually buying it from Steam anyway. Which is now making me confused. But I get confused easily.

Anyway. Like above, I knew what to expect from the game and I got heavy nostalgia goggles towards this kind of thing so, eh.

Come play anarchy online

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I just did, got bored after 2 or 3 weeks. It's so dead and I don't wanna join HH just to raid :smith:

And back to P:G, some guide dude said some time over weekend that when the game releases they're gonna wipe favor in addition to items. Better skip most painful favor grinds for now cause it's gonna go down the shitter come release.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Favor reset, eh? Ouch. That was quite the grind. At least I'll get to sleep with Mushroom Jack, Raul, and Rita again.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I wonder how the developers are going to address the inevitable overcrowding since the game is uninstanced. There are not all that many zones in the game and it already feels way too overcrowded at any given prime time. You can't fart without blowing another player over and any good hunting spots or dungeons are void of mobs since everything is dead. I hope they start instancing at least to some degree, I'm not interested in constant waiting for respawns and competing with other players for every trash mob that spawns, not to mention bosses.

Or they could triple the amount of play area but I don't see that happening.

e: Also, been working on leatherworking but it's starting to feel worthless :negative:
It's either plate, cloth or nothing. I don't wanna make cloth and like wearing plate so guess I should look at that. I tend to like melee classes and higher armor is actually very useful in this game. Early in PG I picked up some elven armor from Joeh's used goods and the raw amount of armor in them carried me a long way. Some good knight or elven plate armor make you nigh invincible on lower levels. Dunno how that applies at higher levels as I'm only just getting there.

e2: Anyone know where elven armor drops?

Fewd fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 28, 2018

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
leatherworking is brilliant at making money through work orders though!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
When I first played the game last year, I needed to farm pigs for pork shoulder so I can both rep grind and cook. All it took was me and another newbie to crater the pig population to the point where hardly any were spawning and we'd get maybe 20 shoulders each.

Similar results for fishing and dirt farming. There was enough resources for one person, but two people made it pretty grueling.

At least the pig problem solved itself when I got better at butchering and graduated from pigs to boars. I didn't really see fishing or dirt farming get any better.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

When I first played the game last year, I needed to farm pigs for pork shoulder so I can both rep grind and cook. All it took was me and another newbie to crater the pig population to the point where hardly any were spawning and we'd get maybe 20 shoulders each.

Exact same spot fueled my thoughts on it. I wanted to farm some shoddy skins to increase leatherworking and the newbie pigrat area had like 4 or 5 people running in it. It was pretty shite tbh.

My mid-level experiences are not much better. Both goblin dungeon and winter fairy spot in sun vale are tanked at prime times.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Enjoying this game so far. Looking forward to figuring out how the gently caress to use magic, though..

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you

Fewd posted:

e2: Anyone know where elven armor drops?

I think I've gotten elven armor drops from the humanoid mobs in Dark Chapel..

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Flavor Truck posted:

Enjoying this game so far. Looking forward to figuring out how the gently caress to use magic, though..

Most magic except Psychology (which I think of as a magic skill functionally) is locked behind a grind of some kind. The ones you can get pretty easily in Serbule are Fire Magic and Mentalism. Necromancy requires a complete run of Serbule Crypt and cannot be solo'd, but there's usually groups every day that take noobs through. Ice Magic and Druidism have skill reqs (25 Fire Magic and 50 any weapon skill, respectively).

In practice, the only dubious ones are Necromancy and Fire Magic, and even then I've seen both rock in the right hands. The rest are very solid choices.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

From the looks of this thread we got some goons playing not in the guild so I'll drop namedrop myself here in case anyone wants to do dungeons or whatever. I got 40+ somethingsomething sword/bear dude, Fudsworth. Online yurop evenings mostly.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Have they built in the ability to friend people who aren't online yet? I'd like to come back again when I have time. I miss being a war cow.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Psych cow was amazing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've been enjoying the game but also kinda just wandering around randomly. The only time I left the zone I got to after I wandered through some spider caves off newb island was for some delivery favor that I was tired of carrying around.

I'm kinda itching for a more concrete goal though, but I don't know enough about the game to really decide on anything. What should I go do/level/check out?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I mostly explored and worked on favors and cash via work orders. Reading the quest dialogue is always worth it. The flavor text in this game is great.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Game is fun, but I am super salty that I have to wait another real life month to increase my level cap to 70, after getting my cap up to 60 with the same mechanic.

For those who don't know, Lycanthropes get an alter that gives out bonuses/skills/level cap increase in exchange for tokens you get from completing quests the alter gives. Which can only be gotten and completed during the full moon. Real life full moon.

And the quests are kill four bosses/grind out 50-100 mobs of varying species.

I mean there's time gates, and there's this bullshit. And no you can't get the quests and do em outside of the full moon because they auto delete during the next full moon.

Don't play a Lycan if you can't poopsock during the correct days.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

While it is pretty bad, to clarify that's the three days surrounding the full moon. Not literally "grind on the night of the full moon."

Still, yeah, only being able to unlock high-end werewolf progression during three specific days out of the month is rough.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I regret becoming a werewolf since i want to level other skills and the full moon always matches up with my free time

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
You guys make me really glad I chose druid. Raven form was what did it for me but I noticed they have mallard form now as well. Battle duck.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Eugh. In Eltibule at the town outside goblin dungeon there's that one merchant you can hang out with by testing memory potions or something like that. It gave me a two hour debuff for -100% combat exp :negative:

e: many beets were grown

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

That Guy Bob posted:

Game is fun, but I am super salty that I have to wait another real life month to increase my level cap to 70, after getting my cap up to 60 with the same mechanic.

For those who don't know, Lycanthropes get an alter that gives out bonuses/skills/level cap increase in exchange for tokens you get from completing quests the alter gives. Which can only be gotten and completed during the full moon. Real life full moon.

And the quests are kill four bosses/grind out 50-100 mobs of varying species.

I mean there's time gates, and there's this bullshit. And no you can't get the quests and do em outside of the full moon because they auto delete during the next full moon.

Don't play a Lycan if you can't poopsock during the correct days.

It sounds like you're really not lycan these gameplay elements! :haw:

Edit: For actual content, this is nothing on Space Station 13. To create werewolf serum there, you had to complete an utterly improbable recipe that would only work if it is a full moon...

On the current day in 2058.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 3, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Anticheese posted:

Edit: For actual content, this is nothing on Space Station 13. To create werewolf serum there, you had to complete an utterly improbable recipe that would only work if it is a full moon...

On the current day in 2058.

i mean that's different because SS13 werewolf serum is explicitly a joke added to send players on a wild goose chase, whereas lycanthropy in this game seems like a straight up intended mechanic and progression path

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
it's fun though, every full moon lycan players form wolf packs and do the quests together

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
For fairness, it's not as if becoming a werewolf in this game prevents you from doing other things as well, so being locked from progressing in it until the full moon comes around doesn't stop you from progressing other skill sets.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I was thinking of going werewolf soon. Long term goals that I'll never achieve don't bother me one bit, most likely they'll just keep me interested and playing the game longer. I don't see any secondary skill that feels really interesting to me that's compatible with werewolf though. Think I'll go with mentalism.

I'm currently going with 50 sword/48 AH, I wanna get my AH to 50 and grab one of those fleeing massive assholes from Ilmari desert as pet before taking on this next project.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

There was some alpha 7 patch today that killed the old standalone alpha clients, need to buy the game to play it from now on.

Also a new dungeon in serbia hills and a lot of animal handling changes. Pretty decent buffs at first glance, the weird pet stats actually do something now. Now if the pets just weren't retarded it'd be pretty cool. Note how Yog isn't very happy, it's because he's goddamn stupid, he's the dumbest loving bear this side of Far Cry 5. Yog, your happiness is never gonna go up. It's because holy poo poo you can be outwitted by a bucket.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 7, 2018

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Fewd posted:

I was thinking of going werewolf soon. Long term goals that I'll never achieve don't bother me one bit, most likely they'll just keep me interested and playing the game longer. I don't see any secondary skill that feels really interesting to me that's compatible with werewolf though. Think I'll go with mentalism.

I'm currently going with 50 sword/48 AH, I wanna get my AH to 50 and grab one of those fleeing massive assholes from Ilmari desert as pet before taking on this next project.

If you care about The Meta (lol), psychology pairs more strongly with lycanthropy due to being able to stack trauma damage through the roof as a lycanthrope and then utilize the Epic psych attack (which is trauma) to spike damage through the roof. Mentalism is a decent skillset, though.

I've been wondering if, well, animal handling might fit well as a werewolf secondary.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Conskill posted:

psychology

I tested psychology once. Some skill(s?) have this horrid TZIIINNGGGGGG sound effect that makes my poophole bleed.

I got AH 50 today but had no luck finding Hissy, gonna just use a normal grimalkin for now. Gotta say I'm not all that impressed with grimalkin so far though. The damage seems more or less on par with bear but survivability is shite in comparison. Bear has nearly double the hp and more armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Fewd posted:

I tested psychology once. Some skill(s?) have this horrid TZIIINNGGGGGG sound effect that makes my poophole bleed.

I got AH 50 today but had no luck finding Hissy, gonna just use a normal grimalkin for now. Gotta say I'm not all that impressed with grimalkin so far though. The damage seems more or less on par with bear but survivability is shite in comparison. Bear has nearly double the hp and more armor.

That's really odd. Unless they nerfed the regular grimalkin, I've found their DPS to be really high. Is it the same level as your bear?

I searched for Hissy forever and never did find that rare spawn motherfucker.