Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Wasn’t Darksiders 2 the game that clearly ran out of budget at some point and had to make the last coupleof locations small and linear (this describes a lot of games tho.)
Oh yeah, I think I vaguely remember hearing about that. It came out right before the fall of THQ as one of their Hail Marys to try and save the company.

Anyway, still pretty early but I'm enjoying the first game. I wonder how Darksiders 3 will do. With Breath of the Wild focusing away from structured dungeons I can see there being a market for a more traditional Zelda-like game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

chumbler posted:

Tired: bullet sponge fps bosses
Wired: set piece fps bosses

tell that to the final boss in ~GUN~

Wolfenstein TNO had the right idea. Bosses are tremendously oversized enemies who have interesting attacks, and interesting ways to take them down. Well, I guess its final boss was also a terrible wet fart because I got a bug where, after you lose your weapons, no new weapon pickups spawn.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Let's name some good FPS bosses.

Rail shooters can have really good bosses but idk whether to count them or not because while they are FPS games, they're not really the same as other FPS titles and their bosses, while cool, also rely a fair amount on being bullet sponges.

Metroid Prime games have good bosses for the most part.

Dishonored has cool bosses, if you can call them that. I haven't played the sequel so idk about that.

What was the first person melee fighting game that was in source engine? I think it had good bosses.

Of course there's Doom.

Descent has good boss fights but I'm biased because I think descent is just a good game all around even though I know it can be hard to get into because of the 6DoF.

Jumping Flash was weird but neat.

King's Field isn't the best thing ever but I enjoyed its bosses because I felt like the game's stiff combat made the boss fights interesting since you had to be real good at strafing and attacking while avoiding getting hit yourself.

Undying, Painkiller, Stranger's Wrath (idk if this one counts tho), Red Steel 2, Riddick, what else?

The boss fights in vampire the masquerade bloodlines were pretty go-hahahahaha i can't

In Training posted:

Them's Fightin Herds and Fantasy Strike came out in the last few months. They both suck!

I've heard them's fightin herds is actually pretty good and that a lot of the hate stems from the kneejerk mlp brony hate poo poo

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Both new Shadow Warriors had solid boss fights.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The gently caress kind of game name Them's Fighting Herds

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bad news. we will never again be able to purchase the classics

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

One that used to be an MLP fangame.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Versus fighter where you play as quadrupeds.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Thanks I hate it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I look forward to getting to try it some day and playing a few rounds and then never touching it again because I like fighting games but am not good enough at them to keep playing them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's how you get good at them, by playing them

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I do not have the proper mental faculties to be able to perform combos consistently on a dime. I am the equivalent of that one saying that goes something along the lines of "an idiot with a sword is more dangerous than a professional with a sword" or whatever

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm the midpoint where I try to do things correctly but am bad at it and lose to both ends.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
ARMS is the only fighting game I ever put serious time and effort into specifically because it did not have absurdly long combos. I don't have the patience required to memorize and recall long input chains.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I played some Battlefield 1 with my co-op buddy and I really enjoyed it.

Like was this made by the same DICE people as Battlefront 2, because it's hard to reconcile how good Battlefield 1 feels compared to the shitshow that is Battlefront 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Practice makes perfect

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In regards to practice makes perfect, I will say this: I am surprised I am getting better at the game I am speedrunning. Granted, the game in question (Ultionus) is a slow-paced game so I'm not expected to do any big single-frame tricks or anything along those lines, I just have to be sorta precise and that's fine by me, but I've successfully gotten my time down to 17:34 with sub 17 being a definite possibility if I can play without messing up.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Went and saw Ready Player One at a prescreening event. I loved it. It's great. I have not read the book, but I brought a friend who did and he said they pretty much threw the book in the trash and started fresh with the poem of Parzival https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parzival

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Most people could probably get pretty decent at fighting games if they didn't always give up immediately idk

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Propaganda Hour posted:

Went and saw Ready Player One at a prescreening event. I loved it. It's great. I have not read the book, but I brought a friend who did and he said they pretty much threw the book in the trash and started fresh with the poem of Parzival https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parzival

I for one am shocked that Spielberg took a bad book and made a good movie out of it. Shocked. SHOCKED!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I also only have a keyboard for doing inputs so I imagine that doesn't help much :v:

KCB bought Pokken DX and it arrived earlier so we're probably gonna mess around with that for a bit. Maybe. I dunno how the 2 player works in that game, if it requires both joycons or not because we only have 1 controller I think. I played the demo a bit at walmart and it seems like fun but I had absolutely no idea how I was doing 90% of the poo poo I was doing so...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

There are videos of chinese kof players owning on keyboard.

Theres a dude that played sf4 at a competitive level with his face cause of disability so no control method is ever going to be a total impediment to success

Not badgering you fak, just saying. Enjoy pokken it rules

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Keyboard is actually my preferred fighting game interface because they're so intuitive for direction inputs. People pay for Hitboxes which are basically just keyboards

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Most people could probably get pretty decent at fighting games if they didn't always give up immediately idk
also if people didn't scare themselves to death obsessing about combos. they're really not that big of a deal in most games

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
...and I'm back to feeling like I'm really bad at Nioh.

...friggin Ice boss...

Edit: and I can't even get the "complained about it on the internet and then won" thing because I need to go to sleep.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

also if people didn't scare themselves to death obsessing about combos. they're really not that big of a deal in most games

Maybe not the super optimized ones, but if you can't do them with some degree of proficiency then you'll get nothing from a lot of the characters possibly including ones you think are cool, and if you're only doing half the damage the other guy does when either of you gets a hit then you're going to hit a ceiling really fast. I'm probably being a bit biased here based on my personal experience, since I'd probably be much more successful if I didn't totally blank on good damage combos when I have a chance.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah I'm just not good in general at them because I have trouble with executing combos and learning how best to do stuff on-the-fly. My brain can't operate fast enough to keep up with the pace of things like that. It's the same reason I'm bad at shmups. I like shmups but I'm just absolutely dreadful at them because there's so much happening on screen that I can barely take it all in, let alone what's happening solely around the main character, and I get sorta sensory overload from it just like with fighting games.

Hell, that's one of the reasons my Ultionus speedrun has been suffering. The good ending requires that you play unlock and play through the final level which is a shmup and it's an easy shmup but I still manage to find ways to die in it because they're things based around memorization and precise movements, neither of which I'm good at.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

Maybe not the super optimized ones, but if you can't do them with some degree of proficiency then you'll get nothing from a lot of the characters possibly including ones you think are cool, and if you're only doing half the damage the other guy does when either of you gets a hit then you're going to hit a ceiling really fast. I'm probably being a bit biased here based on my personal experience, since I'd probably be much more successful if I didn't totally blank on good damage combos when I have a chance.
that's a defeatist attitude and tbh it pisses me off. you're not going to evo, you don't need to be a kung fu master day one of playing a game, getting better is an incremental process and combos come in completely naturally after you spend a little time understanding and executing on the basics

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember when my stepdad tried playing crash bandicoot and he kept dying over and over to the first pit in the game because he couldn't grasp the concept of "jump" and "hold direction" for several hours.

Then he figured out how to jump while holding a direction, but said direction was left and slightly up so he would jump and just kinda divebomb into the left side of the pit.

I can't imagine how confused he'd be by something with quarter circles and half circles and light, medium, and heavy attacks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

instead of playing video games I spent my evening reading/watching youtube videos about counterfeit disney world pins and how pissed off people are that all the trading spots in the park are full of 50 cent each ebay fakes. at this point though why would you ever spend $7-15 a pop for the real ones though if you're just going to trade them for fakes anyway lmao. and ultimately the fakes are made at the same chinese factories they just use like the slightly wrong shade of yellow or some poo poo

it all feels like some weird microcosm of capitalism and its dumb lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I played fighting games regularly for a period of a year or two as a teen and at the end I still couldn't consistently do a shoryuken. Fighting games have nontrivial execution in a way that just isn't ever going to click for some people.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Good FPS boss fights: Breakdown

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

They gently caress the telling of it so badly its one of the worst composed game stories in years
Absolutely, Nioh introduces new characters up to and past, more or less, the end and they all feel samurai cookie cutter. I did like Yasuke though. Also, while it's a very fun game I'd recommend playing once through, the postgame stuff (even before NG+) is all gear/build check nonsense rather than strategic fun fights. Wish they kept with the stylish fighting system and didn't go all Diablo (and away from the magic because ugh buff stacking).

glam rock hamhock posted:

...friggin Ice boss...
That's a common complaint one and unfortunately the AOEish attacks start (or get worse) with her. The good news is that I personally found it got easier from shortly after there to somewhat before the end though. There's always going to be that stage or boss that feels horribly out of place difficulty-wise.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Subnautica (2018)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit n/m

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 28, 2018

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Towards the end of Nioh I became a walking blender with my twin blades. I'd bring enough buff and debuffs to give myself crazy advantage in boss fights and use one move to completely shred their life bar. I thought that was really cool, and while it made some of the yokai bosses easy it wasn't as reliable for the human enemies. One late game optional mission has you face off against two samurai you've already fought, and I think it was the best fight in the game. Of course, I only did it once since I eked out a win by using all my tricks, but it's still a highlight of the game for me.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mordja posted:

Lmao, I forgot that Darksiders had a Star Fox section.

By the by, what's with goons' hateon for DS2? Is it because of the added loot mechanics?

I'm late, but you'll notice a very specific thing in that game: Every single time someone asks you for something - and they'll do it a lot because Death is a goddamn errand boy - it'll be divided into three pieces. If you need an artifact, it'll be broken in three, if you need to open a gate, you'll need to go through three dungeons, if you need to gather servants for a Dark Lord, it'll be three servants. It's incredibly obvious padding.

Also, the game is just not very good and it does nothing to progress the cliffhanger from 1 as it is a parallel story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Wasn’t Darksiders 2 the game that clearly ran out of budget at some point and had to make the last coupleof locations small and linear (this describes a lot of games tho.)

THQ were literally going bankrupt as they were making it

• Locked thread