Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

Yeah, if the windows are open (and at this point they almost always are), go kill cactuars (lv6), sea bishops (lv7), and harpeias (lv8). Not every mob type has an associated NM spawn. A balanced party should be able to handle single pulls on things 5 levels above them.

good luck getting a group that understand a; mob tethering ranges well enough to solo pull or b; doesn't have 5 dipshit dps who each pull a mob when the last dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

good luck getting a group that understand a; mob tethering ranges well enough to solo pull or b; doesn't have 5 dipshit dps who each pull a mob when the last dies

Well, yes, make sure you're playing with people that aren't total morons. I think that goes without saying. :v:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If you wanna jump on the NM train switch to healer or RDM and don't drop your power level in shout chat. Nine times out of ten if I just said "RDM lfg" in shout I'd get an invite, even at low levels. No fuss, no muss.

Pazuzu could disintegrate you with a funny look and people would still appreciate just having you there as a raise bot.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Vitamean posted:

If you wanna jump on the NM train switch to healer or RDM and don't drop your power level in shout chat. Nine times out of ten if I just said "RDM lfg" in shout I'd get an invite, even at low levels. No fuss, no muss.

Pazuzu could disintegrate you with a funny look and people would still appreciate just having you there as a raise bot.

I'm only level 10 and I still do this, pretty sure I'm going to get the "Good Samaritan" title out of Eureka

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Vitamean posted:

Yeah, Pazuzu can do that to just about anybody from 1 - 17 so I don't really care what level you are. I roll around Eureka as a tank specifically so that I can guarantee a gold out of things, so it doesn't much matter if my party is full of level 20 badasses or level 2 wee babs. Assuming you can get into a party (I've not seen people be super picky but that could just be my experience), I have no idea why you'd ever grind mobs instead of just sticking with the train.

If you really must focus only on low level NMs for maximum efficiency, just grab a high level friend and have them speedkill the low level ones that the train never bothers with, then leave and reinstance to do it all over again. :v:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, Pazuzu can do that to just about anybody from 1 - 17 so I don't really care what level you are. I roll around Eureka as a tank specifically so that I can guarantee a gold out of things, so it doesn't much matter if my party is full of level 20 badasses or level 2 wee babs. Assuming you can get into a party (I've not seen people be super picky but that could just be my experience), I have no idea why you'd ever grind mobs instead of just sticking with the train.

If you really must focus only on low level NMs for maximum efficiency, just grab a high level friend and have them speedkill the low level ones that the train never bothers with, then leave and reinstance to do it all over again. :v:

Hell, one time when I was with friends between 3 ~ 6 we saw that the train was working on Hazmat, but couldn't easily make it up there. Instead we tried spawning Lord of Anemos to bait them out of there and then ride the train back up. Some other group spawned Teles first but the train came down anyway and Lord popped right after so it works!!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Potassium Problems posted:

I'm only level 10 and I still do this, pretty sure I'm going to get the "Good Samaritan" title out of Eureka

I literally went from 25ish out of party rezzes in the last four years to 200+ in a day and a half of Eureka. If you join the train as a rdm those cheevos are utterly trivial.

It may be a bit slower now with more people at high level and with basic knowledge of how to not die to an NM's whole three mechanics, but rest assured there will be lots of dead people to spend mp on.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thundarr posted:

It may be a bit slower now with more people at high level and with basic knowledge of how to not die to an NM's whole three mechanics, but rest assured there will be lots of dead people to spend mp on.

Fafnir is always a fun time as a Rez Mage, because boy do people enjoy eating that flail spike.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Assuming you can get into a party (I've not seen people be super picky but that could just be my experience), I have no idea why you'd ever grind mobs instead of just sticking with the train.

NH train gets boring fast but the chain parties I just want to curl up and die after getting 100 exp out of 21k required. Someone told me it's more efficient to farm chains but you I did it for 1-5 and it was so slow on PF. I think it's BS how we can't call mounts until lvl 17 too.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the mount thing is super dumb because there's a selection of relatively newbie-safe NMs that are almost impossible to reach unless you're in the train because you get instagibbed by a level 20 Assmite or whatever next to the level 9 NM

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Suspenders are cute.

Also, walking is slow and dangerous even if I just wander off the path a bit it's suddenly I died and hoping the nearest person will raise me out of their kindness of their hearts.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Potassium Problems posted:

I think it has tiers. I found out about it when some idiot catboi named Link Tothepast or something leapt off a ridge, fell near me (I was opening up the Kobold beast quests at the time) and started mournfully /shouting about how he was broke and ran here from Gridania and could anyone possibly rez him.

So I flounced over in my fancy AST gear and did it, then gave him five thousand gil for bus fare since he DID get me the achievement.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the mount thing is super dumb because there's a selection of relatively newbie-safe NMs that are almost impossible to reach unless you're in the train because you get instagibbed by a level 20 Assmite or whatever next to the level 9 NM

What do you mean it wasn't good design plan surrounding the Aetherytes that activate at Level 9 with Level 15 monsters and taking away mounts? :v:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I bought this since the S-E sale a while back and i don't know why am i having fun while mindlessly mining ore

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

OgretailFood posted:

I bought this since the S-E sale a while back and i don't know why am i having fun while mindlessly mining ore

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5bP3eY0Vag

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

OgretailFood posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=g5bP3eY0Vag

e:f,b

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

OgretailFood posted:

Because the numbers are going up, duh

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Don't be bad at the game and embrace the Solid Snaking. There are no newbie-safe NMs that are like this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

OgretailFood posted:

Any excuse will do.

e: lol mega beaten, I should refresh before replying

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I got the map exploration achievement on the first day of Eureka at level 3. This is absolutely not the case.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I mapped out all of Eureka at the start trying to run to the aetherites.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I tried mapping everything but ended up with several higher lvel monsters chasing me. It honestly gave me awful flashbacks to Everquest

this is great :allears:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Is there a good guide or TLDR for the DRG rotation at 70? Seems to me like I get eyes, hit Gierkisgokul and the go hog wild with Nastrond.

Like the main part of the rotation is fine, I just don't know what to do with the Life of the Dragon stuff.

So the basics of life cycles are you want to make sure you get maximum amount of them per fight, and you want to ensure you always get 3 nastronds per cycle. At the end of the fight, your mirage dive uses should equal your nastrond.

What follows from this is that you want to ensure that you are using Jump and Spineshatter dive asap when they are up. You should never delay either one unless doing so would force you to eat a mirage dive. This means you should get enough eyes to enter life every 60 seconds or so.

It’s generally natural that this happens as long as you push your buttons on cooldown. The one exception to this is the first life cycle, which you should delay.

Generally, you will have enough eyes to enter life when your second geirscogul comes off cooldown at 47 seconds; however, instead of entering life right away, you want to delay it by using geirscogul before your third mirage dive. This will put you at 3 eyes with geirscogul on cooldown. In 30 seconds, geirscogul will come off cooldown and you will enter life around 1:17 seconds into the fight. This will ensure at least one (optimally 2) of your nastronds are used under your second blood for blood. After this life cycle is over, you should have enough eyes to enter your second right away. 2 of these nastronds should fall under Dragon Sight.

From here on you pretty much just enter life ASAP whenever you have 3 eyes. If you don’t clip your ogcds much then it should all line up naturally. If it feels really awkward, there might be something wrong with your opener.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Man that’s complicated, wtf

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
This is one of the reasons why Dragoons are on the floor so much, keeping this poo poo straight while being in the melee ranged Own Zone is tricky.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I did the trial roulette, died on the whale's back in Bismarck Hard, spent roughly the last third of the fight dead and unresurrectable, and when the fight completed I only got the boss kill XP (11,500) and not the roulette bonus. I checked the duty finder and it claims I've already received my roulette reward for the day. Looking at my XP bar I definitely did not get the regular roulette bonus from that. Do you lose the chance to get the roulette bonus XP if you're dead at the end of a trial or something?

I searched around a bit on Google for this and didn't see any other relevant/similar experiences to mine.

edit: I'm stupid and forgot I already did trial roulette earlier today, a 2-minute shot on Rhitahtyn.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 28, 2018

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Man that’s complicated, wtf

it only seems complicated when you're laying it out. you basically use a standard opener and then hit every button on cooldown; except when your second Geirscogul comes up instead of double weaving Mirage Dive>Geirscogul you do Geirscogul>Mirage Dive. Then you mash buttons as they come up and never really think about your rotation again. Doing this with decent uptime is easily enough to get you purple numbers minimum. Probably orange if your gear and party comp is good.

dragoon is the easiest melee class imo. i pity nin's; work so hard for so little reward.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Don't be bad at the game and embrace the Solid Snaking. There are no newbie-safe NMs that are like this.

literally the last person in the thread i expected an ~elitist~ git gud comment from

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i did it, i have blm and rdm above 60

now the hard part begins, where i desperately try and figure out which one i want to play at 70 aaaa

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Thumbtacks posted:

i did it, i have blm and rdm above 60

now the hard part begins, where i desperately try and figure out which one i want to play at 70 aaaa

neither, play SMN

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
How much will I hate myself if I use my RDM/SMN gear on my BLM? I stack crit preferentially and direct hit under that, but I could theoretically get a couple anemos BLM pieces and meld them up with spell speed if it would significantly increase tolerance for mistakes.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

How much will I hate myself if I use my RDM/SMN gear on my BLM? I stack crit preferentially and direct hit under that, but I could theoretically get a couple anemos BLM pieces and meld them up with spell speed if it would significantly increase tolerance for mistakes.

Are you raiding on BLM? If you're not then who cares, if you are then why aren't you gearing for it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

There's no 'bad' stat for BLM, just SS is better, to taste. You'll probably be fine, especially if all you're doing is EXDR/Alliance/the occasional EX Primal.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Yeah, I'm not planning to raid on BLM, but I'd like to be able to do Byakko/Shinryu EX on it without wanting to die if I'm 0.2 seconds late getting back from a mechanic.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Yeah, I'm not planning to raid on BLM, but I'd like to be able to do Byakko/Shinryu EX on it without wanting to die if I'm 0.2 seconds late getting back from a mechanic.

You are always going to feel like this sometimes no matter how much spellspeed you have, hth :v:

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Could always re-meld if you going to change what class you main for moment, materia is cheaper then ever atm so not much excuse not too.

I personally hate playing BLM without maxed SS, and even with it sometimes you get screwed over anyways so.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sarrisan posted:

So the basics of life cycles are you want to make sure you get maximum amount of them per fight, and you want to ensure you always get 3 nastronds per cycle. At the end of the fight, your mirage dive uses should equal your nastrond.

What follows from this is that you want to ensure that you are using Jump and Spineshatter dive asap when they are up. You should never delay either one unless doing so would force you to eat a mirage dive. This means you should get enough eyes to enter life every 60 seconds or so.

It’s generally natural that this happens as long as you push your buttons on cooldown. The one exception to this is the first life cycle, which you should delay.

Generally, you will have enough eyes to enter life when your second geirscogul comes off cooldown at 47 seconds; however, instead of entering life right away, you want to delay it by using geirscogul before your third mirage dive. This will put you at 3 eyes with geirscogul on cooldown. In 30 seconds, geirscogul will come off cooldown and you will enter life around 1:17 seconds into the fight. This will ensure at least one (optimally 2) of your nastronds are used under your second blood for blood. After this life cycle is over, you should have enough eyes to enter your second right away. 2 of these nastronds should fall under Dragon Sight.

From here on you pretty much just enter life ASAP whenever you have 3 eyes. If you don’t clip your ogcds much then it should all line up naturally. If it feels really awkward, there might be something wrong with your opener.

Thanks dude, I'm trying to get the hang of this through dungeons and I think I'm seeing how the rotation shapes up. Biggest thing for me was entering Life with a full meter so I can get off the max number of Nastronds.

Is it possible to macro instant cast abilities together? I play with a controller and it feels like things are a bit complicated at the opener just based on how my cooldown abilities are positioned.

I probably won't be doing Savage stuff anytime soon, but I still want to learn how to maximize things in case I do start doing them.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you 'can', but the amount of gcd clipping it introduces is bad enough for your damage that you won't want to do it.

just re-map your controller binds. when i was doing drg in serious content, i just made a second set of controller binds that i used during the opener that was pretty much just my rotation going clockwise around the buttons.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I'll look at that tonight. Kind of sucks when I have to move with the left stick and use and ability with right D pad that's also crucial for my rotation.

Right now all my active buttons are just LT/RT while cooldowns and utility are double LT/RT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm so bummed. I haven't been able to play in like a month and I'm not 70 yet so there's no way in hell I'm ever getting into Eureka when people are still doing it.