Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Smythe posted:

i spit at this place (in spirit) whenever i drive past its ugly rear end. hot gently caress its ugly and huge. out of place and tacky and dumb. always looks empty too. theres this one, the orsini, and like the medicinicinni or some bull poo poo

part of the reason i was gized on the davinci fire is that that one and the orsini are the ones right at the 110 101 so it looked dope as hell

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hmm i can rent a classic hollywood courtyard bungalow that has the epic good vibes of ppl dancing, loving, and partying in them for literally 100 years that has kitch and charm and character or uhh i can rent in some huge piece of poo poo with no personality. tough call :thunk:

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Prop 13 is never going anywhere, even after the last boomer draws their last breath. I’m set to inherit a dinky two bedroom ranch home in Menlo Park worth nearly a million dollars and so are many of my friends. We need that equity for when we get screwed out of social security.

I don't know about that dude. I don't see homeownership in California rising anytime in the near future.

Bodhidharma fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 27, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

stone cold posted:

part of the reason i was gized on the davinci fire is that that one and the orsini are the ones right at the 110 101 so it looked dope as hell

:discourse:
The fire was as tall as some of those big office buildings. It scorched the traffic signs across the freeway and caused some of the windows in the office buildings facing the fire to explode/melt.

It was pretty awesome. Shame it eventually got built.

Not all new construction looks like the wet dick droppings of someone who totally backpacked through, like, Milan or whatever. Most juat have some color or lots of glass. All overpriced though!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
that arson kicked loving rear end

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

fermun posted:

SF has ~18,000 vacant luxury units.

Also, if you do very very open zoning, other areas that have done so have experienced a boom in luxury units trying to cater to the overpriced rents and then moving on to other areas once the luxury demand has been met. Capital is international, if you want to have more affordable housing investment locally, you need to either have it done by public funding or force the issue through regulations.

Even assuming YIMBY just makes more luxury units, isn't that a good thing? Wouldn't that drive down the value of the currently vacant luxury units?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Skyscraper posted:

Even assuming YIMBY just makes more luxury units, isn't that a good thing? Wouldn't that drive down the value of the currently vacant luxury units?

Depending on how the apartment buildings were financed, they may not be able to drop their rent by any reasonable amount in the first place. Check out how commercial financing works: value of property is contingent on rental values under many (most? all?)) loans, meaning that if you drop your rent rates, you can actually go upside-down on your mortgage and trigger clauses to have to pay up to reach parity again. It may be easier, from a funding sense, to just list everything on AirBnB and its equivalents for short-term rentals until you can find tenants, rather than trigger large payments to bring your loan to value again.

I don't have much sympathy either way, to be honest.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Sundae posted:

Depending on how the apartment buildings were financed, they may not be able to drop their rent by any reasonable amount in the first place. Check out how commercial financing works: value of property is contingent on rental values under many (most? all?)) loans, meaning that if you drop your rent rates, you can actually go upside-down on your mortgage and trigger clauses to have to pay up to reach parity again. It may be easier, from a funding sense, to just list everything on AirBnB and its equivalents for short-term rentals until you can find tenants, rather than trigger large payments to bring your loan to value again.

I don't have much sympathy either way, to be honest.
I could've sworn there was a post on this exact topic somewhat recently from, like, Strong Towns or the Urbanist or City Observatory or Curbed or someplace similar, but now I can't find it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shithead residents of shithead city Irvine successfully got the Orange County board of supervisors to scrap an emergency plan to relocate the homeless along the Santa Ana Riverbed into temporary housing

quote:

Hsieh, a tech company manager, said that he and his fellow demonstrators were compassionate, but “we just don't want to create more problems.”

He continued shouting with the help of his 10-year-old daughter, Ava, who is on spring break this week.

"I don't feel good about this because I don't like drugs,” Ava said. “My dad says there are needles everywhere where the homeless live."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-oc-homeless-20180327-story.html

I guess now they just evaporate into the ether and are no longer a problem??? :shrug:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Cicero posted:

I could've sworn there was a post on this exact topic somewhat recently from, like, Strong Towns or the Urbanist or City Observatory or Curbed or someplace similar, but now I can't find it.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2017/11/27/the-paradox-of-persistent-vacancies-and-high-prices

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Aaaaaaa, thanks!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Love to run a "my dad says homeless people are all drug abusers" as a pull quote. Good job liberal media.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
OC Resident chiming in - I'm really disappointed that the OC Board of Supervisors backed down on that plan. Huntington Beach's argument to not put theirs in made sense, because the site was a former landfill that was deemed uninhabitable.

Irvine has zero loving reason to not put theirs in - their arguments were literally all just "it's going to devalue our homes." Some of the people at the meeting earlier last week were saying how they worked really hard to not have their kids grow up around homeless people, and how they just didn't want to see it.

The most frustrating thing about all of this is that the county and cities don't have a plan - they're just proposing things which immediately turns into NIMBY argument. I live in Anaheim just up the street from where the camp was along the trail. I got into a few arguments with Irvine residents about this issues, with them repeatedly saying "well then put them in your backyard!" I would gladly shelter them in Anaheim if there was a place to do so. Irvine (and Laguna Niguel) seems to think the only areas they belong are in Santa Ana or Anaheim.

The homeless vouchers of 30 days are going to run out, and who knows what they're going to do after that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OC Board of Supervisors also just voted to join Trump's lawsuit against CA's sanctuary state status.

Never been happier to leave OC behind than I am today.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Zuul the Cat posted:

Irvine (and Laguna Niguel) seems to think the only areas they belong are in Santa Ana or Anaheim.

because thats where the poors/mexicans live, meaning they're HELL on earth, and deserve to have all of the terrible hobos and drugs!

fuckin bougie suburbanites gently caress irivine

:thermidor:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What's so frustrating is that OC is not just Irvine and Newport Beach. North OC, Garden Grove, Anaheim, Santa Ana, all great cities with vibrant minority communities and real cool and awesome stuff. But all these south coast assholes are just clinging on hard and ruining what should be a great part of the state.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WeIrvine, an Internet-based business that promotes Irvine to Chinese immigrants and helps them settle in the city, chartered 24 buses to take residents to the county meeting, WeIrvine Vice President Zhihai Li said.

The buses, which took off from the Great Park and stopped at various Irvine neighborhoods, carried an estimated 1,200 resident to Santa Ana, Li said.

companies bussing in their clients to council meetings, lol get hosed

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 27, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Every OC piece of poo poo would rather have a rich authoritarian Chinese national around than a homeless person, so it seems like a match made in heaven.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Smythe posted:

im watvhing this gubernatorial debate and its pretty funny. delaine eastin is owning which is cool i think. is she good? she seems cool. idk.

Eastin is cool and good and also polling at like ~3%. Bow down to God-Governor Newsom.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Sydin posted:

Eastin is cool and good and also polling at like ~3%. Bow down to God-Governor Newsom.

I like Chiang, but he's polling about the same.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Gavin-Newsom-s-No-1-election-wish-A-12778008.php

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FCKGW posted:

Ava said. “My dad says there are needles everywhere where the homeless live."

So compassionate :allears:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Skyscraper posted:

The half of the argument that typically goes unaddressed is that even if developers only ever make luxury units and their prices stay at luxury unit prices and they post NO POORS signs in their lobbies, every person who rents from them isn't outbidding someone else for the twenty-year-old shitbox down the block.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

raminasi posted:

The half of the argument that typically goes unaddressed is that even if developers only ever make luxury units and their prices stay at luxury unit prices and they post NO POORS signs in their lobbies, every person who rents from them isn't outbidding someone else for the twenty-year-old shitbox down the block.

This doesn't seem to square up with there being 18,000 empty luxury units in SF (per previous poster; I haven't checked that stat). With that many luxury units empty and low/mid-tier rents continuing to climb, it would seem to mean that people are continuing to outbid lower-income tenants on the shitboxes, rather than rent the luxury units. Why would even more luxury units change that, if nobody's renting the current luxury units?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

The home values must flow

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

If people aren't renting the current luxury apartments on the market why do they keep building them?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Squalid posted:

If people aren't renting the current luxury apartments on the market why do they keep building them?

Are they all on the rental market, or are they just empty because the owners don't want to rent them out (because they're an investment proprety/vacation rental instead)?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
relevant, but PG&E is a massive piece of poo poo obstructing SF construction out of spite and shittiness

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/SF-complains-PG-E-is-holding-up-major-projects-12786362.php

i really hope we can just put out a statewide-energy utility at some point and they can go get hosed forever

e: Also I'm not convinced there are actually 18k luxury apartments intended for renting sitting empty. I'm sure theres a shitton of luxury condos to own that are empty (probably low four-figures range) because investment vehicles, vacation homes, too much money-people, etc.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 28, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Squalid posted:

If you figure out where the fuckers hid all the sanity, let us know so we can spread a little around. :v:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Squalid posted:

Can't let tenants ruin your property values!

Also unlicensed hotels.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Xaris posted:

relevant, but PG&E is a massive piece of poo poo obstructing SF construction out of spite and shittiness

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/SF-complains-PG-E-is-holding-up-major-projects-12786362.php

i really hope we can just put out a statewide-energy utility at some point and they can go get hosed forever

They're doing a massive PR campaign on television to repair their image after the Napa fires. So awesome for the energy monopoly to be spending our power bills on lovely commercials.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Nationalize PG&E

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sundae posted:

This doesn't seem to square up with there being 18,000 empty luxury units in SF (per previous poster; I haven't checked that stat). With that many luxury units empty and low/mid-tier rents continuing to climb, it would seem to mean that people are continuing to outbid lower-income tenants on the shitboxes, rather than rent the luxury units. Why would even more luxury units change that, if nobody's renting the current luxury units?

IIRC those units are rented or owned. They’re just literally empty. They’re used for short-term hoteling (which is a huge problem, don’t get me wrong), vacation residences, or investment. more authoritatively answered immediately below

raminasi fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 29, 2018

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Sundae posted:

This figure comes from a SPUR report. It includes second homes, which make up about half of the "vacancies". Second homes, while gross, aren't part of rental stock. A very large portion of the vacancies are older rent control eligible units which haven't changed ownership in a long time. Holding a property vacant makes a lot more sense if the property tax assessment is 30 years old. This figure is deliberately misrepresented to claim that new construction isn't getting leased up. The SPUR report found 4 of 1,954 condos identified as "investment properties" which were not occupied by either the owner or a renter.

IF all of these new luxury condos weren't being occupied by rich people, that's still better for the city than not allowing them, because then they get to collect the dev fees and the freshly assessed property taxes without having to provide any increased services.

The logic which says "don't build new units, because they will stay empty and rich people will continue to displace long time residents at the same rate" falls apart on closer examination. Buildings don't ruin cities.

A vacancy tax, on rent control eligible properties, which ratchets up the longer rentable units aren't leased isn't a bad idea, but it's not all that often talked about. Implementation of that would be prone to court challenges.

edit: spelling mitsake.

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 28, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hermsgervørden posted:

This figure comes from a SPUR report. It includes second homes, which make up about half of the "vacancies". Second homes, while gross, aren't part of rental stock. A very large portion of the vacancies are older rent control eligible units which haven't changed ownership in a long time. Holding a property vacant makes a lot more sense if the property tax assessment is 30 years old. This figure is deliberately misrepresented to claim that new construction isn't getting leased up. The SPUR report found 4 of 1,954 condos identified as "investment properties" which were not occupied by either the owner or a renter.

Thanks for this. Makes more sense.

Agreed on the rest of your post re: vacancy taxes, though I'd still rather either eliminate Prop 13 or start a guillotine factory.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Sundae posted:

Thanks for this. Makes more sense.

Agreed on the rest of your post re: vacancy taxes, though I'd still rather either eliminate Prop 13 or start a guillotine factory.

Whynotboth.gif

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hey if you want your blood to boil read this article.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/02/27/proposed-el-cerrito-housing-10-affordable-units-meets-opposition-locals

Pay special attention to the simulated picture of how much this building would "block views".

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hey if you want your blood to boil read this article.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/02/27/proposed-el-cerrito-housing-10-affordable-units-meets-opposition-locals

Pay special attention to the simulated picture of how much this building would "block views".

quote:

Though Fortini said her own view wouldn’t be affected, she wrote, “If this passes, it’s only a matter of time before other similar projects are railroaded through, one of which may well block my view one day.” 

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

Though Fortini said her own view wouldn’t be affected, she wrote, “If this passes, it’s only a matter of time before other similar projects are railroaded through, one of which may well block my view one day.”

Guillotine is too good for her. Bring out the woodchippers.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sundae posted:

Guillotine is too good for her. Bring out the woodchippers.

Feet first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
OC Board of Supervisors agrees to build camps for the homeless in Irvine, then back pedals when the rich folks get mad.

But full steam ahead on this dumb poo poo: https://voiceofoc.org/2018/03/oc-to-join-federal-lawsuit-against-california-sanctuary-laws/

I seriously do not understand how these people were voted in. The utter contempt for constituents and the way they talk to people at these meetings is loving baffling.