Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Medicare has cost sharing

Bernie's proposal for M4A doesn't have cost-sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

Bernie's proposal for M4A doesn't have cost-sharing.

I know, but the post I was replying to was talking about what we have now

Bernie’s plan is about as good as you can get without nationalizing the hospitals, but I still think we should nationalize the hospitals

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Lightning Knight posted:

Of course, Trump isn't actually a fascist - since he has no coherent ideology besides whatever he thinks is best for him this morning - he's just content to surround himself with fascists and embrace their talking points to maintain his cult of personality. In that sense, we're lucky, because a more competent right-wing populist would've already gotten farther than this last year.

fascism isn't a coherent ideology. that's part of the appeal

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Groovelord Neato posted:

there are no good republicans.
Lincoln...
Eisenhower (?)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cable Guy posted:

Lincoln...
Eisenhower (?)

budd dwyer

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I missed a beat somewhere, when did Medicare Extra become Medicare Extra for All? That's such hilarious and blatant brand-stealing. "Look, we're lovely, terrible Medicare for All too!

Anyway, I actually ran into a decent blog post on medium.com, about the intellectual vacuum that is the modern conservative movement. Of course wonks are sharing this and going "ha ha the conservatives are dumb", which is kind of missing the point, which to me is that (referring back to the "why do Democrats always have unpopular, painstakingly detailed policy programs to please budget hawk pundits") you don't need a creaking think-tank heart beating at the core of your politics. Sure, the Heritage Foundation laundry list might not be passing as-is, but they have the Supreme Court, they have their tax cuts, they have their healthcare cuts, they have their deportations, they'll have their wars, and they never needed the Heritage Foundation to get there.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like there's any actual intellect behind modern liberal wonks either lol.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Medicare has cost sharing

Eh, partial cost sharing for some services. A lot of things are just covered, or covered with a minor copay, etc.

going by
https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/costs-at-a-glance/costs-at-glance.html

The new proposal, going by that post, appears to be "government covers 80%", which if applied across the board could be a big cut in services. Is that for Part A, or just Part B, or what?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cable Guy posted:

Lincoln...
Eisenhower (?)

both prior to the realignment.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The new proposal, going by that post, appears to be "government covers 80%", which if applied across the board could be a big cut in services. Is that for Part A, or just Part B, or what?

Seems like 80% is if you are making over 500% poverty level.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/healthcare/reports/2018/02/22/447095/medicare-extra-for-all/

For families with income up to 150 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL), premiums would be zero.9
For families with income between 150 percent and 500 percent of FPL, caps on premiums would range from 0 percent to 10 percent of income.
For families with income above 500 percent of FPL, premiums would be capped at 10 percent of income.

The average share of costs covered by the plan, or “actuarial value,” would also vary by income. For individuals with income below 150 percent of FPL, the actuarial value would be 100 percent—meaning these individuals would face zero out-of-pocket costs. The actuarial value would range from 100 percent to 80 percent for families with middle incomes or higher.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Seems like 80% is if you are making over 500% poverty level.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/healthcare/reports/2018/02/22/447095/medicare-extra-for-all/

For families with income up to 150 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL), premiums would be zero.9
For families with income between 150 percent and 500 percent of FPL, caps on premiums would range from 0 percent to 10 percent of income.
For families with income above 500 percent of FPL, premiums would be capped at 10 percent of income.

The average share of costs covered by the plan, or “actuarial value,” would also vary by income. For individuals with income below 150 percent of FPL, the actuarial value would be 100 percent—meaning these individuals would face zero out-of-pocket costs. The actuarial value would range from 100 percent to 80 percent for families with middle incomes or higher.

That's cost of premiums, not "cost sharing," i.e, "the hospital billed us at $100,000 per day, you were there three days, we only have to pay 20% of that, now we have to sell the house."

From what I can tell so far it seems like this is something that the current "Medicare Extra" proposal is vague on; it seem to be implying that it's mostly talking about Medicare Part B (which currently has a 20% or so "cost sharing", speaking roughly), but there's a lack of clarity on what it would do to Medicare Part A (which covers hospital stays almost entirely, after a deductible).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how about we make it so you pay nothing when you receive healthcare.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 28, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's cost of premiums, not "cost sharing," i.e, "the hospital billed us at $100,000 per day, you were there three days, we only have to pay 20% of that, now we have to sell the house."

From what I can tell so far it seems like this is something that the current "Medicare Extra" proposal is vague on; it seem to be implying that it's mostly talking about Medicare Part B (which currently has a 20% or so "cost sharing", speaking roughly), but there's a lack of clarity on what it would do to Medicare Part A (which covers hospital stays almost entirely, after a deductible).

The stuff it says explicitly about cost:

"Medicare Extra would provide comprehensive benefits, including free preventive care, free treatment for chronic disease, and free generic drugs. "

and

"The average share of costs covered by the plan, or “actuarial value,” would also vary by income. For individuals with income below 150 percent of FPL, the actuarial value would be 100 percent—meaning these individuals would face zero out-of-pocket costs. The actuarial value would range from 100 percent to 80 percent for families with middle incomes or higher."

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
That means tested wonky bullshit is why people will reject it. Why should only the poors enjoy 100% cost sharing and not everyone else?

Even if they set the standard at 90AV it would still outrageously high levels of cost sharing. My 90AV employer plan still has a $350 deductible and $3,350 out of pocket max.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The stuff it says explicitly about cost:

"Medicare Extra would provide comprehensive benefits, including free preventive care, free treatment for chronic disease, and free generic drugs. "

and

"The average share of costs covered by the plan, or “actuarial value,” would also vary by income. For individuals with income below 150 percent of FPL, the actuarial value would be 100 percent—meaning these individuals would face zero out-of-pocket costs. The actuarial value would range from 100 percent to 80 percent for families with middle incomes or higher."

RIght, but it's vague over whether that calc includes Part A or just Part B. If it includes Part A, that's going to be a dramatic increase in out of pocket costs for everyone above 150 FPL. On the other hand, if it could be an expansion of coverage vs. current cost sharing requirements, depending on what's covered.

Health care policy is a ratchet; it's much harder to reduce coverage than expand it, so incremental gains are good, so long as they're genuine gains and not disguised cuts.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 28, 2018

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Congratulations to the Guardian on enabling Hitler's rise to power.
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/978922043948371969

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

One would think those policies, like literally every other policy, face a combination of structural advantages and disadvantages. Like they're proportedly very popular among the democratic electorate-- that's an advantage! And yet you seem certain that they cannot win elections.

Which policies are you talking about, specifically? Because the policies that I'm talking about, like M4A, are extremely popular among the Democratic base, and are also popular among the general electorate. The reason why establishment Democrats do not push for them is because of the structural barriers that exist to block actually progressive legislation from making it onto the ballot.

quote:

More to the point, the structural disadvantages that these policies face do not disappear once the general election comes around. The idea that structural opposition to leftist policy exists entirely or even predominantly within the democratic party is extremely broke-brained.

Not something anyone here argued.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Peven Stan posted:

Im.o places where a lot of young white liberals and techbros are moving are superficially liberal but bristle the moment something concrete is offered. All my friends who moved to colorado are obama/hillary voters and all of them voted against coloradocare in the last election, for example.

I’m quite sure these people aren’t real friends. You’re much better off associating with better people.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/979052724196184064

How do we go about grinding these NIMBY assholes into dust?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Office Pig posted:

Congratulations to the Guardian on enabling Hitler's rise to power.
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/978922043948371969

looking this guy up, he's already very right wing

the guardian wants "centrists" to work with parties even further to the right than him?

this dude wants to reduce the deficit, hangs out with netanyahu, privatized a bunch of poo poo, and pushed legislation defending "traditional marriage"

he should be the centrist wet-dream

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

R. Guyovich posted:

fascism isn't a coherent ideology. that's part of the appeal

Well, ok, but Trump doesn’t even manage to get as far as having a contradictory ideology based on hating the Other. He’s just interested in himself.

Edit: lol the fascists keep own-goaling.

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2018/03/27/alt-right-erupts-after-crying-nazi-christopher-cantwell-admits-hes-a-federal-informant/

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 28, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Javes posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/979052724196184064

How do we go about grinding these NIMBY assholes into dust?

lmao it’s literally in the Home Depot’s parking lot

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

looking this guy up, he's already very right wing

the guardian wants "centrists" to work with parties even further to the right than him?

It's a clickable link, you can read the article.

It's saying that if the guy in power stays in power there might not be another real election after this one, and that there is no viable candidate running against him except another right wing guy who is around 50% of the possible vote. So you would be better voting for that guy and taking a bad couple years over a guy that might literally end democracy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's saying that if the guy in power stays in power there might not be another real election after this one, and that there is no viable candidate running against him except another right wing guy who is around 50% of the possible vote. So you would be better voting for that guy and taking a bad couple years over a guy that might literally end democracy.

Yeah, because the literal neonazi party is sure to respect democracy once they're in power.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Holy gently caress you have no idea about Jobbik, do you?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Centrism is a brain disease

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

:prepop:

another even more right wing guy you mean. who would be even more likely to end democracy

you don't side with neonazis to fight the right, and i'm kinda freaked out you even have to be told that :stonk:

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
I buy strategic voting as a viable option at times compared to constant futile struggle.

Assuming 'the right' is some monolithic group in Hungary may be in error.
I don't know enough of the particular facts, but in an illiberal democracy, being in power is how you get entrenched enough to kill the pesky democracy part.
It doesn't seem ridiculous that switching between two rivals, even if both are totalitarian, can stave that off.

That being said, from what little research I did do...Goddamn, nativism is a helluva drug these days.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Sarcastr0 posted:

I buy strategic voting as a viable option at times compared to constant futile struggle.

Assuming 'the right' is some monolithic group in Hungary may be in error.
I don't know enough of the particular facts, but in an illiberal democracy, being in power is how you get entrenched enough to kill the pesky democracy part.
It doesn't seem ridiculous that switching between two rivals, even if both are totalitarian, can stave that off.

That being said, from what little research I did do...Goddamn, nativism is a helluva drug these days.

voting nazis into power is never a viable strategy :ughh:

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

quote:

“I think now is the time to assess...how many
people of Jewish origin there are here, and
especially in the Hungarian parliament and the
Hungarian government, who pose a national
security risk to Hungary.”

Marton Gyongyosi,
M.P. and Leader of Jobbik’s Foreign Policy
Cabinet, Nov. 2012

quote:

"Hungary is preparing for two huge
commemoration events in 2014: one is about the
Hungarian victims, the heroes, who fell in the
[Second World] war, the other is the Holoscam...
excuse me, Holocaust... still not working,
Holocaust. It was intended, excuse me.”

Tibor
Agoston, Jobbik Member, Debrecen City Council,
Feb. 2014

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, because the literal neonazi party is sure to respect democracy once they're in power.

They won't respect anything, they won't have the party numbers to enact the stuff the majority party guy would have either. They aren't electing a king. (unless the guy who has enough votes to push constitutional changes wins, then they are)

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They won't respect anything, they won't have the party numbers to enact the stuff the majority party guy would have either. They aren't electing a king. (unless the guy who has enough votes to push constitutional changes wins, then they are)

They. Are. Literally. Nazis.

Get your brainworms checked.

Far-Right Mayor In Hungary Cracks Down On Roma

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

oh so they're harmless nazis :downs:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Voting for Nazis to own the ?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nosfereefer posted:

They. Are. Literally. Nazis.

Yeah, they should really vote those guys out next time there is an election.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

how about literal armed resistance instead of giving power to nazis?

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Condiv posted:

voting nazis into power is never a viable strategy :ughh:

Well, that's some strong moral clarity at least.

I can't tell if it's short-circuiting any examination of efficacy is a bug or a future.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

lol go hug a nazi

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

how about literal armed resistance instead of giving power to nazis?

I mean they have a "don't have democracy" party too, and you can vote for them instead but then you still get a far right government out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean they have a "don't have democracy" party too, and you can vote for them instead but then you still get a far right government out of it.

how about not voting for right-wing parties? did that ever cross your mind?

• Locked thread