Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is 9 just not a good game? I never really see anyone talking about it. I'm almost done with V and I want to know if it's worth picking up on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's not bad but it went back to the dragon quest 3 thing of "yeah just make some party members I guess" so they have no personality.

The localization is like the peak of punnery though, to the point that you have to experience it to believe it, so I can't hate on it too much.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
Dragon Quest IX's probably the best in terms of gameplay systems, or at least when it came out. It's balanced around being a sort of MMO-lite type thing but it's still classic turn-based gameplay with a main quest storyline. The storyline is rather short, especially compared to 7 & 8, and nothing complex. Post game though, there's enough content to last you a lifetime.

So it's an easy recommendation if you just want that solid, classic, DQ gameplay and don't care about story much. It's short enough that you could get everything you'd want out of the game but if you really want to sink your teeth into it it'll last you for a very long time.

I just wish that it was much easier to play multiplayer with the game. As it is, you need other people with a copy of the game and a DS. You're also screwed out of some Streetpass-type stuff forever now, though if you have a cheat device you can hack them in. Otherwise, it's perfectly fine to just play through it single-player.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, 9 is solid in terms of gameplay and messing around with classes and doing random dungeons in postgame. It's just the main story isn't super strong and since it's a party of characters you make up yourself, there's no real strong party dynamic like you'd get from 4-8. So it's more akin to 3 I guess

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Since they were all characters I made the party dynamic in IX was entirely in my head, damnit. They all got punny names and hated each other for constantly swapping to each other's jobs and it was a fantastic goddamn time.

I'm actually the oddball who has trouble getting into any other mainline DQs because of how much I loved DQIX's customization; Etrian Odyssey IV is the closest I've come to that experience since.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's honestly pretty dissapointing. DQ isn't exactly known for it's amazing stories but I've only played 4,5 and 8 and one of my favorite things about them is the interesting ways they frame the narrative. Oh well if I'm still on a DQ kick I'll probably play it after 7...which if it's reputation is to be believed will keep me busy for decades.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaius Marius posted:

Is 9 just not a good game? I never really see anyone talking about it. I'm almost done with V and I want to know if it's worth picking up on the cheap.

9 is good and fun. It only has a main character and then you create 3 other party members so it's missing a bit of the charm of NPC interaction, but it's the only one I've played where alchemy is kinda fun and not just annoying. The job system is decent in the sense that if you make bad choices you've just wasted some time instead of permanently crippling a character.

It does have the slow start syndrom that every DQ game I've played has also had.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I burned out hard on 9 by delving too greedily and too deep into the postgame, in which the rate of meaningful progression slows exponentially into an unholy grind. But up until that it's fun and well-structured and gets its hooks in you.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

9 ain’t bad but whenever I think about playing it again I realize I’d rather just play 3 SNES again.

It’s basically an uglier version of 3.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
9 is also a short game, story wise. You can easily spend hundreds of hours on optional content, but the length of the mainline game is probably on par with 4 or 5. It especially feels fast if you are coming off playing 6-8.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

One thing I wonder about XI: does it let you play dress up like IX?

One thing I know about XI: the animations aren’t great! They’re so stiff! The horses in particular are extremely cheap looking in their run animation.

Edit: I just remembered that there are alternate costumes, but not every piece changes your appearance like in IX. Pity.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

IX suffers from coming out just before all the online accessibility stuff got going with the 3DS, so all it's neat little multiplayer/online features are dead in the water outside of japan and with the DS servers down you can't even use the internet-connected store, get the bonus quests, or the cameo inn guests anymore either (unless you cheat).

AriadneThread fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 26, 2018

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Are the online items in DQ8 still available? Were they useful?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The best thing about DQ9 was getting to see your equipment on your character models. The worst thing was that the main campaign was noticeably short, especially when compared to 8. And DS 3D (although it's a lot better than PS1 DQ7, shudder).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

IX owns and the story is fine for a DQ game. It's a super amazing update of 3 and if that's not the sickest poo poo to you then you can go enjoy other games that cater more to what you're looking for because we don't have similar tastes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wendell posted:

One thing I wonder about XI: does it let you play dress up like IX?

I think it's more like DQ8 costumes, except that more than just Jessica gets them.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
If there's a hack that just give guaranteed drops from the post game crap, It'll probably be fun to play.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bongo Bill posted:

I burned out hard on 9 by delving too greedily and too deep into the postgame, in which the rate of meaningful progression slows exponentially into an unholy grind. But up until that it's fun and well-structured and gets its hooks in you.

Use the Hoimi Table to ensure you always get the drop you want from the grotto boss you're fighting. I managed to get a gauntlet drop on my first grotto run without using it but once I found the table I can't imagine playing without it. Didn't run the grottos much though, and legacy bosses are loving absurd as they level up.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The post-story gameplay of IX is the worst parts of MMO-style grind.

My only other complaint was that there was no way to transfer equipment skins so you had to balance effectiveness with aesthetics.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Use the Hoimi Table to ensure you always get the drop you want from the grotto boss you're fighting. I managed to get a gauntlet drop on my first grotto run without using it but once I found the table I can't imagine playing without it. Didn't run the grottos much though, and legacy bosses are loving absurd as they level up.

i went through the main story of 9 and thought it was okay but not good enough to ever go back to. for the postgame, i read about the hoimi table and decided that any game which required so much bullshit to get around the nasty rng wasn't worth bothering with.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

builders switch release funfact: they took out the dumb "beat in x days" challenges and replaced them with "get x different items" so you can take your time and have fun building your spergfort without worrying about wasting time

e: IX wasn't bad yeah but it did suffer from a lack of personality, especially compared to VIII which was bursting with it

also i don't really like the job system(it's not game ruining for me or anything, i just prefer static characters or something like VIII where everyone has a clear role but there's some wiggle room)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 28, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
XI has been announced for the west on PS4 and Steam. No 3DS translation, it seems. Due September 4th. Switch version will also come to the west, but "it won't be finished for quite some time".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOrMpHBJFD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4MbL2Y8DM

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 28, 2018

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

The Kins posted:

XI has been announced for the west on PS4 and Steam.

Yay!

quote:

No 3DS translation, it seems. Due September 4th.

gently caress!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
After finishing 5 I decided I'll move to 7 on 3DS. Wow, that game's different in terms of tone. I expected it to be more childish but it's pretty heavy so far. I really like it. The music is excellent.

Also started playing 6 on my phone today and it's a bit tedious. Random battles are cranked way way up, you can't make five steps without fighting something. Also the dungeons are hilariously huge compared to 4 and 5. To leave the starting town and move onto the world map you have to navigate a series of caves for example. The music's not so great, I don't really like the combat theme.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well at least I have PC version because I still don't own a ps4

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Squeenix (and press who have seen a demo) are reporting the following new features in the western release:

• The usual array of English slang and groan-inducing puns
  • English dub for voiced cutscenes
  • Improved menus and UI (ex. icons in the item menu)
  • Photo Mode for checking out the graphics at your leisure
  • System improvements to character and camera movement
  • You can dash now!
  • "Draconian Quest" mode with various frustrating sounding difficulty modifiers for experienced players like "Shypox" (your party members sometimes miss their turn)

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

The Kins posted:

No 3DS translation, it seems.

Wow, that really sucks. I guess we'll have to wait a few years for the inevitable fan translation.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Kins posted:

No 3DS translation, it seems.

I suspect if we get the 3DS one it's going to be a different announcement, and it's gonna be published by Nintendo like 7 and 8.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

an actual dog posted:

I suspect if we get the 3DS one it's going to be a different announcement, and it's gonna be published by Nintendo like 7 and 8.

Or Nintendo will focus on getting tie switch version out because that will probsbly sell several million copies in Japan and should do pretty well in the west.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm fairly certain that SE will be publishing the switch version themselves lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Switch version later? Guess I'm buying it twice.

I was interested to check out the retro mode on 3DS.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The switch version isn't even out yet in JP right? I probably won't wait but drat I wish I could play XI on my Switch :(

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I wish one of the improvements was using something other than MIDI samples for the music because ugh, it's really bad.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

The switch version isn't even out yet in JP right? I probably won't wait but drat I wish I could play XI on my Switch :(
Switch version is still in development, and "development is expected to take a long time from a technological standpoint", so I suspect it won't just be a straight port of the console game.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm excited to hear more about 11's release state-side, but I'm also torn on whether I want to get it immediately or wait for more Switch news. I guess it'll probably depend on how much stuff is going on in my life at that specific time. Impossible to predict what I might want to look forward to, E3 is coming soon, etc etc

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

whydirt posted:

The post-story gameplay of IX is the worst parts of MMO-style grind.

My only other complaint was that there was no way to transfer equipment skins so you had to balance effectiveness with aesthetics.

It seems worse than a standard MMO-style grind because if you want those legacy costumes you have fight the legacy bosses over and over and over, each time giving them all the experience you had earned so they can level up and hope they'll drop the pieces of gear you want.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The Kins posted:

XI has been announced for the west on PS4 and Steam. No 3DS translation, it seems. Due September 4th. Switch version will also come to the west, but "it won't be finished for quite some time".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOrMpHBJFD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4MbL2Y8DM
The adventures of anime Chinese Emperor XI is looking good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Android 17 hair is very win on the main character

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ComposerGuy posted:

I wish one of the improvements was using something other than MIDI samples for the music because ugh, it's really bad.

Yes they need to go orchestral like they did for DQVIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I care so little about orchestral vs. synthesized it hurts. We all know the reason why it's not happening (the composer is a dick) so complaining about it is extra fruitless. DQ8's music sounded fine to me on 3DS, and even going back to listen to the originals I felt I preferred the new music more often than not.