Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah and you can do Divert Power + the talent that gives move speed when your shield is down + basic attacks recharge shield. So your shield is just back up pretty quick anyway and if you got in trouble from using Divert Power well just walk away.

edit: Of course I've only tried him in AI because the regular queues are gigantic so maybe it sucks against real folks.

That's pretty much the way to go. Add to that the 15% damage when you have a shield and the extra damage when moving between attacks. You hit like a truck and no one can run away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
So how's new Varian in general? In specific, does he work at all against Fenix with his shield-stripping talents?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fenix is super hard countered by blinds. Lili shuts him right down.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

1stGear posted:

Planet Cracker doesn't seem super-useful but if you get the enemy team lined up in a map with narrow jungle corridors BOY OH BOY

We had some absolutely bonkers plays tonight by combining Planet Cracker with Mosh Pit. :getin:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

We had some absolutely bonkers plays tonight by combining Planet Cracker with Mosh Pit. :getin:

Yeah, Planet Cracker is the ult Dragonstrike wishes it was. It's not suuuuuper useful just taken on its own, but comboed with any sort of CC and it can be brutal. The Purification Salvo doesn't even seem all that terrible, but I imagine it'll really shine in comps with a lot of slows on hand to proc the additional damage.

Fenix seems really fun to play honestly. It's a simple kit but I like the dynamic of swapping between weapon modes and the plasma cutter is surprisingly potent. Fun fact, getting slept by Ana does not disable your plasma cutter, once it's on it seems to stay on.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Planet Cracker is amazing at killing abathurs. Did a game where a Tyrande spotted him with her owl, then kablooy.

Lawlicaust posted:

That's pretty much the way to go. Add to that the 15% damage when you have a shield and the extra damage when moving between attacks. You hit like a truck and no one can run away.

Yeah that stutter step one seems pretty good.

I've been going Arsenal Synergy at lvl 1, with Offensive Cadence at lvl 16. So you can his three times with the regular attack get the 6% bonus damage then boom with the double damage ball attack.

Unsure if just doing Mobile Offense + Photonic is better though. Since that way you're doing basically 45% extra damage all the time.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Planet Cracker is amazing at killing abathurs. Did a game where a Tyrande spotted him with her owl, then kablooy.

lol, when I saw the preview video for Fenix I figured this was gonna be one of the first things people tried. Someone on the opposing team draft Abathur? Pick Tyrande, Hanzo, and Fenix! gently caress that slug.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

planet cracker with an on the ball diablo is fun, he slammed an enemy right into the beam and it melted them

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

lol, when I saw the preview video for Fenix I figured this was gonna be one of the first things people tried. Someone on the opposing team draft Abathur? Pick Tyrande, Hanzo, and Fenix! gently caress that slug.

After I killed him the first time the poor guy went and hid in the hall of storms or whatever for the rest of the match.

It was a quickmatch Abathur + Illildan pair too, serves them right for cheesing qm.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

After I killed him the first time the poor guy went and hid in the hall of storms or whatever for the rest of the match.

It was a quickmatch Abathur + Illildan pair too, serves them right for cheesing qm.

You're doing the lord's work.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Those two combo well together eh?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah and you can do Divert Power + the talent that gives move speed when your shield is down + basic attacks recharge shield. So your shield is just back up pretty quick anyway and if you got in trouble from using Divert Power well just walk away.

Try to Divert Power when you haven't taken damage in 5 seconds, like right before the fight starts. Your shield immediately starts regenerating at its 10% per second rate, so the downside is reduced!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:randstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co--wrlOBeY

via reddit

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

I was in some awful qm comp as illidan with aba, murky, stukov, and azmodan...aba hatted the murky the whole game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Thats not all that bad and comboing bubble + hat is as much fun as you'll ever have with aba

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

WHY? WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A THING? Vertical video of a horizontal tv screen? What the gently caress is happening in the mind of the person recording this?

also, Fenix 61% initial winrate.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 28, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The WORLD CRACKER :black101: mirror match is loving hilarious. Whoever pops ult first, loses. The other can lay theirs on them and they either eat it or cancel their ult

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Fenix seems totally busted, all his abillities and all his talents are hilariously good.

The AA build you guys are listing is good, I've been going Q build which seems bonkers, and I saw McIntyre does a reset blink style build that apparently makes li ming and genji jealous of all the resets.

Also planet cracker seemed like the way to go...until I took the slow talent at 4 and purification salvo. People just melt :stare:

Love the way he plays and I hope they don't nerf him TOO badly.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Elysium posted:

also, Fenix 61% initial winrate.

surely no one could have foreseen this

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Butter Hole posted:

Fenix seems totally busted, all his abillities and all his talents are hilariously good.

The AA build you guys are listing is good, I've been going Q build which seems bonkers, and I saw McIntyre does a reset blink style build that apparently makes li ming and genji jealous of all the resets.

Also planet cracker seemed like the way to go...until I took the slow talent at 4 and purification salvo. People just melt :stare:

Love the way he plays and I hope they don't nerf him TOO badly.

Purification Salvo is amazing when paired with teammates that can slow regardless of your own build.

Then again so is Planet Cracker.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Lol at his spotlight video claiming Tracer counters him. AA build fucks her up and Purification Salvo's infinite range keeps her from just blinking away.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Man, diverting power into a zerg rush on Braxis is the good poo poo. Supposedly planet cracker is good for this too but I had salvo at the time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Westy543 posted:

Man, diverting power into a zerg rush on Braxis is the good poo poo. Supposedly planet cracker is good for this too but I had salvo at the time.

God, yeah it is. I had a losing Braxis match where I was 70% of my team's damage vs the zerg as Fenix. Just lob those fat plasma bombs into those stupid zerglings. :iia:

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I've played maybe 3 games on Varian before his rework because I never really liked him or waiting until ten to pick a spec, but I really liked playing him today. It feels like there are decent talents on most tiers and taunt was really fun against zuljin.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
New Tracer now has more HP than Valla... for some reason.

Unsurprisingly big stat buffs have increased her average winrate (using very rough hotslogs data).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ort posted:

I've played maybe 3 games on Varian before his rework because I never really liked him or waiting until ten to pick a spec, but I really liked playing him today. It feels like there are decent talents on most tiers and taunt was really fun against zuljin.

I played a lot of Varian before the change. I really miss Shield Wall at level 4 with 2 charges (plus the level 7 that made it last longer and cool down faster), but I have to admit this is much more balanced. And letting you pick your class almost immediately feels a lot better, too.

I wasted too much time with twin blades, though. Colossus Smash is so drat good, and incredibly satisfying to boot.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I call it: "Perfect Timing"

Right after Artanis swapped me :v:

e: ooh minimap also highlighted how overextended our Varian was that game. He always died, and always bitched that Haunt didn't heal him enough

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

I think it was posted a while ago, but does anyone have the exact mechanics they use to determine MVP at the end of a game?

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

1stGear posted:

Lol at his spotlight video claiming Tracer counters him. AA build fucks her up and Purification Salvo's infinite range keeps her from just blinking away.

Yes but what about Raynor

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Yukari posted:

I think it was posted a while ago, but does anyone have the exact mechanics they use to determine MVP at the end of a game?
Here.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I know exactly why this happens and I have no idea how they managed to let this through. IIRC Galaxy tracks disabled weapon cooldowns by default, meaning that someone deliberately made this happen - although whether or not they did so intentionally remains to be seen.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I love launching an exploding Dva mech into a full zerg wave on Braxis.

What Dva build do people pick? I have her on level 17 now. I used to go for a build where defense matrix charges self destruct, and basic attacks charge defense matrix, with bunny hop as the heroic, but I usually find defense matrix too finicky to be too useful and most good players immediately stop attacking as soon as they're in it. Nowadays I go for pilot build, dashing around and shooting people in the face when they don't expect it at all is fun. What I like about her is that she always feels at least minimally useful in any situation, there's always some quick dash move you can do to peel someone off, or pop a defense matrix against a butcher charge or self destruct on top of an objective to zone away the enemy team.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Shibawanko posted:

I love launching an exploding Dva mech into a full zerg wave on Braxis.

What Dva build do people pick? I have her on level 17 now. I used to go for a build where defense matrix charges self destruct, and basic attacks charge defense matrix, with bunny hop as the heroic, but I usually find defense matrix too finicky to be too useful and most good players immediately stop attacking as soon as they're in it. Nowadays I go for pilot build, dashing around and shooting people in the face when they don't expect it at all is fun. What I like about her is that she always feels at least minimally useful in any situation, there's always some quick dash move you can do to peel someone off, or pop a defense matrix against a butcher charge or self destruct on top of an objective to zone away the enemy team.

Hit the Nitrous used to be uncontested at level 1, but since it got nerfed and Rushdown got buffed Rushdown is generally what I go to for quick rotations. At 4 I usually grab Bring it On for quicker self-destruct charge, then at 7 I default to Dazer Zone because most of her level 7 talents are pretty uninspiring. These days with all the dive and long range poke going on I don't usually want to hang around as pilot D.Va more than I have to so I like going for Bunny Hop...it's not an engagement ult, it's an ult that works great after the engagement because it helps lock down people trying to run and the unstoppable means you're immune to being peeled. At 13 I'll go for Emergency Shielding or Ablative Armor depending on if the other team has heavy burst or DoT, then at 16 I generally pick up Torpedo Dash for some extra survivability (Grubby always goes Nanoweave Suit but I find I still get burst down quick, Nanoweave is probably better if you're going for a Big Shot build since it lets you get some shots off easier), and then MEKAfall at 20.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Well Tracer just trashes Fenix. And surprise, 99% of matches have a tracer + fenix queuing together.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Hit the Nitrous used to be uncontested at level 1, but since it got nerfed and Rushdown got buffed Rushdown is generally what I go to for quick rotations. At 4 I usually grab Bring it On for quicker self-destruct charge, then at 7 I default to Dazer Zone because most of her level 7 talents are pretty uninspiring. These days with all the dive and long range poke going on I don't usually want to hang around as pilot D.Va more than I have to so I like going for Bunny Hop...it's not an engagement ult, it's an ult that works great after the engagement because it helps lock down people trying to run and the unstoppable means you're immune to being peeled. At 13 I'll go for Emergency Shielding or Ablative Armor depending on if the other team has heavy burst or DoT, then at 16 I generally pick up Torpedo Dash for some extra survivability (Grubby always goes Nanoweave Suit but I find I still get burst down quick, Nanoweave is probably better if you're going for a Big Shot build since it lets you get some shots off easier), and then MEKAfall at 20.

Yeah I always pick Hit the Nitrous because I heard it's supposed to be the best, I'll give Rushdown a try, I do like to use the boost for quick pokes and waveclear though.

When I pick bunny hop i tend to save it for escapes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5An7p69C0g

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I loving love killing abathur.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Using bunny hop for escaping is a waste imo. D.Va already has plenty of escapes in her kit, but she lacks CC which bunny hop gives you along with some additional damage. The keys to using it are to save it as a follow up to someone else's engagement instead of leading with it yourself, wait until there are people who are hurt and trying to back off and then go in and prevent them from disengaging, and never use it when you're at low health because you're an easy target while it's active.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

1stGear posted:

Well Tracer just trashes Fenix. And surprise, 99% of matches have a tracer + fenix queuing together.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I actually just played a couple of games as Tracer to test this. One game, the enemy Fenix went Warp build and Planet Cracker and I dove on him with impunity. The next, Fenix went AA build and Salvo and he tore me a new rear end in a top hat every time I went in on him. Even if I killed him, I was so low in health that I either got killed by somebody else or had to back. Killing him was also reliant on landing my Pulse Bomb.

Needs more testing.