Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually, elaborating on 11-Type Guanyin Bodhisattva, it's a really good example of how absurd any ability could be when you reach a state like Netero had, the peak or at least something approaching it of human ability.

The way it worked was more than just willing it to act; for each move it made, Netero had to pray. He went through the motions for it every time, and they weren't short ones; he stretched his arms and circled them around before clasping them together, then made another motion for the particular attack he wanted to employ, after which the statue moved. Given some of his comments like the one about prayer coming from the heart, there was likely a component of actual prayer to it too, not just making the motions. It was both a not-insignificant condition for the ability to work, and something that was very meaningful and significant to Netero given his history. The statue being Guanyin, goddess of mercy, in particular was likely significant to him too. Add in that the statue has 100 different attacks, each with their own corresponding motion (which implies that there's no changing an attack mid-swing, it just acts according to his commands) for even more conditions and restrictions, between memorizing all those and keeping them straight, thinking through which he wants to use mid-battle, and so on. A rather interesting ability, all things considered, and one that normally would be quite impressive-looking but impractical, particularly since any experienced Nen user would likely immediately recognize the strange act of prayer as the activation condition for an ability and react accordingly.

However, Netero was just so far beyond what is normally humanly capable that the restrictions almost stopped mattering. He could pray, motions and all, in less than a tenth of a second, resulting in this massively powerful and extremely quick statue being able to move from attack to attack unbelievably rapidly. Where a normal person could probably make an attack every two or three seconds, maybe every second or a bit less if they were particularly quick and coordinated, Netero could launch several every second. Given the statue's speed, range, and power on top of that, and what would otherwise be an amazingly showy but rather difficult to use ability became something almost unstoppable; if we had seen it used seriously beyond the battle with the King or nearly sending Pitou flying over the horizon, it probably wouldn't have even been a real fight. It's hard to imagine what anyone other that a nigh-invulnerable and unbelievably quick and intelligent foe like the King could have done against that, since even he was getting smacked around by it and had to tank it until he figured out all the moves and how Netero moved between them to get an actual attack in.

I realize this is more praise of Netero himself than his ability, but it's still one I quite like. It illustrates just how far beyond everyone else Netero was in a way that's much more interesting than just having him crush people effortlessly or whatever, taking an ability like that and making it not only usable but terrifyingly effective, as well as the kind of things someone who reaches his level can do. Plus, it is an interesting ability in its own right, given how well it reflects its creator.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hell it was drat near unbeatable. If it had just a bit more firepower it would've beat meruem too.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When you're reading/watching a different action series with aura fighting, have you ever started comparing that series' power system to Nen? For example, sometimes when I read One Piece and I see someone use Haki, I think "They using Kou or Shu and sometimes Gyo."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kild posted:

Hell it was drat near unbeatable. If it had just a bit more firepower it would've beat meruem too.

Yeah, I was being a bit conservative with my language, but in Netero's hands (as I said, I don't think a normal person, or even a skilled Nen-user, would be able to use it effectively) it's really hard to see how anyone short of Meruem could beat him. Even a guard like Pitou got knocked away effortlessly. The gap between Netero and any other humans we've seen so far is massive.

Which is part of why I like the ability, really; at first glance you might just think that it's broken OP, but when you think about how it works and its conditions, it's powerful, but rather unwieldy and impractical. It's only because it was Netero using it that it was so busted.

Mraagvpeine posted:

When you're reading/watching a different action series with aura fighting, have you ever started comparing that series' power system to Nen? For example, sometimes when I read One Piece and I see someone use Haki, I think "They using Kou or Shu and sometimes Gyo."

I occasionally do, though my most recent experience was realizing that the things I was seeing actually were based on Hunter x Hunter; there's a third-party supplement for Pathfinder called Champions of the Spheres, which is meant to combine the previous systems its creators made, Spheres of Power and Spheres of Might (which make a new magic and martial system, respectively) One of the classes in it is the Sage, who punches people and gets mystical ki-powered abilities. There is some really, really obvious DBZ-inspired stuff in there, including what's basically Krillin's Destructo-Disc, but after looking again I noticed that a lot of the powers were almost definitely based on HxH as well, like a needle and thread of ki that can stitch people back together and an ability outright called "Rubber Ki".

Which, personally, I'm okay with; you can do some fun things with ideas like that, having more options is cool even if they're totally ripped from anime and manga, and even if someone wants to rip off a DBZ or HxH character entirely for their character, well, more power to them. Still, thought people here might get a kick out of that.

(Less fond of the system this stuff is for; I really like the Spheres systems, a few things aside, but they're grafted onto something that isn't worth the effort of trying to fix and is a huge mess even after you use this stuff to smooth out the massive power disparity between classes. I wish my friends liked better RPGs than PF and D&D 5e.)

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Chapter 7 seems like it would be pretty dang good when you're fighting someone with reasonable strength, it sets a one-sided time limit to the fight and a lot of people who don't have abilities good for specifically fighting would already struggle. It's less impressive than abilities that actually aid in the fighting, but seems solid considering how relatively strong he would be compared to nearly any other target.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Like when it comes to creativity and raw expressions of skill then, yeah, Hisoka and Morel are tops.

I get some real Vers vibes from Hisoka but do u

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
knuckles beats a good half of all the spiders with some effort

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bisse posted:

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy is in practice one of the most useless powers in HxH.

It sounds great in theory, to be able to shut down an opponent completely. However, as shown with all Knuckles fights, the major problem is you have to fight your opponent until it happens. If you're stronger than your opponent (Knuckle vs Gon), you would have won anyway. If not (Knuckle vs Royal Guard), it is very unlikely to allow you to win a fight you weren't equipped for, you're going to probably die before the time limit. So in reality it will only really let you win fights you were already on top of anyways, making it useless.

There's the theoretical use for it which they attempted vs the royal guard, where Knuckle lands a single hit somehow and then your teammates only job is to stall the fight until your enemy is bankrupted. But even that was not enough to take down a strong opponent.

The only less useful power I can think of is Cheetu's incredibly dumb tag playground.

The only reason it was ineffective was because he was fighting one of the royal guard with their absurd Aura Pools.

Like Knuckle outright compared Youpi's Aura pool to the next biggest one he knew his master Morel, and estimated that Youpi's was at the very least 10 times bigger.

The absurd power gap between them also made APR less effective. Normally the interest slowly grows while Knuckle lands attacks and their attacks Kncukle's and his targets no longer deal damage to each other, they just exchange aura, and cause the debt to go up or down. However Youpi was such a hard hitter that for most of the fight it did not matter how much interest or Aura Knuckle put into him, if Youpi landed a blow it would pay it all back and likely kill him as well.

Pretty much the problem was not the ability which would be useful in pretty much any fight other then the major one it was brought to.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

^^yeah potclean is so dangerous because interest builds so quick. A normal human will become bankrupt very quickly, especially non-combat types

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wild Horses posted:

^^yeah potclean is so dangerous because interest builds so quick. A normal human will become bankrupt very quickly, especially non-combat types

Even some combatants, really; Enhancers and Emitters who use big attacks would probably be the best off, since they could put a lot of aura into their attacks to pay things off, but a Conjurer or Manipulator, and to a lesser extent a Transmuter, would have a much worse time of things, even if their ability was meant for fighting, unless they managed to get him in another way. (Though, I'm curious how that would interact with the ability, now that I think about it. Might be some weird interactions there.)

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

even using big nen attacks would end up bankrupting them quicker, unless it was decisive.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
poo poo I think knuckle could wash any counter hit ability (like feitan and camilla) from his non-lethalness probably never triggering anything serious in those conditions

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

drjuggalo posted:

poo poo I think knuckle could wash any counter hit ability (like feitan and camilla) from his non-lethalness probably never triggering anything serious in those conditions

Oh for sure. Feitan's power is based on his suffering, pain and rage while Knuckle's power makes it so neither of their attacks can do damage to each other. While Camilla requires her opponent to kill her, something Knuckle would not do. (Though he would not disable her power as she was in Zetsu when it was activated.)

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh for sure. Feitan's power is based on his suffering, pain and rage while Knuckle's power makes it so neither of their attacks can do damage to each other. While Camilla requires her opponent to kill her, something Knuckle would not do. (Though he would not disable her power as she was in Zetsu when it was activated.)

Yeah I meant because knuckle wouldn't ice her like that, I honestly forget black cat NEEDS the zetsu for it to work which makes it an even more jankier ability what the gently caress

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think it needs Zetsu, that's just her way of trying to make sure she gets killed, lowering every possible defense. Her being in Zetsu doesn't matter for it activating after her death, because Zetsu is her suppressing her aura; when she dies, she can't suppress it anymore, meaning that the cat can now activate.

The question is whether the "bankruptcy" would last even after she died; if it kept suppressing her Nen even though she was dead, then it should keep the cat from appearing, thus keeping her dead. At least until it wears off; whether the cat would appear then or her having been dead so long will mean her aura's not lingering to make a curse anymore would affect it, I guess? Post-death Nen suppression seems like an unlikely scenario for us to see.

Edit: Heck, I am fairly sure Zetsu isn't a condition for the cat, because she regards her power as making her invincible, and given that she's a royal and assassination attempts and such are a major threat to her, she would presumably want a power that protects her at all times. Something that requires her to be in Zetsu for it to work, when Zetsu is a thing she has to actively maintain and thus is not in most of the time (which we know due to seeing her Nen beast hanging around her when she was at the banquet, as well as Musse, who had been spying on her, finding her being in Zetsu when she confronted him to be a new fact), does not serve that purpose at all, it just makes for a gimmicky "combat" ability.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 28, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it seems likely that cammy's usual use of zetsu is meant to keep her nen beast out of play for now. that is, it isn't a deliberate strategy on her part but instead setup for future events.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i want to see beyonds hatsu

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Also a friendly reminder that Knuckles can have multiple Potcleans active.

dazoner posted:

Since we have an off week and the thread is a little dead... what would you guys consider as the most impressive usage of Nen abilities?

I am going to go with Morel's Deep Purple.
Deep Purple and Morel are two of my favorite things in the series. If I had to present another impressive nen ability it's a combination of Razor and his 13 devils. His nen constructs are among the most advanced in the series as they are fully autonomous, capable of varying their strength, work in perfect tandem, and even comes with a referee that has a distinct personality or at least an imitation of one. Couple that with Razor's insane strength and reflexes and you had a guy that was convincingly the final boss of Greed Island as he's literally a one man army. In general I think emissions/conjured constructs are my favorite abilities.

I liked how GI had an internal logic to the games, particularly acquiring the Coastline card. I can imagine that if a group of people show up and barely manage to scrape a victory, Razor would not step in. However, once a group of capable people show up and start getting a clean sweep he's more than willing to step up and put them through the ringer. And had Gon not been present I believe he would have held back some just to push them as his role isn't to stop the game from being completed, so much as being an NPC that challenges you.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Razor is the impossibly high bar for emitters. Leorio better have some dope rear end medical hatsus.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

dazoner posted:

Razor is the impossibly high bar for emitters. Leorio better have some dope rear end medical hatsus.

I was just thinking about Razor today. I don't think Togashi will ever hurt for interesting characters or plot elements but I hope to see him again at some point even though he only really served as a test for Gon and link to Ging.

Agreed on Netero just mincing anyone who can't follow the the King's perfect plan

1. Get punched 100s of times by a giant statue striking at the speed of sound
2. Think hard
3. Win

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Agreed on Netero just mincing anyone who can't follow the the King's perfect plan

1. Get punched 100s of times by a giant statue striking at the speed of sound
2. Think hard
3. Win

Except that one rear end in a top hat who has a power that reflects damage, but only damage inflicted through Buddhist iconography

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Except that one rear end in a top hat who has a power that reflects damage, but only damage inflicted through Buddhist iconography

Yeah but then Netero just turns off his nen and beats the christ out of him with his bare hands

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Wild Horses posted:

knuckles beats a good half of all the spiders with some effort

Thinking about this made me realize the only proper Phinks fight we've seen is him punching a guy who doesn't move

I'd like to order one proper Phinks fight, mssr Togashi

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The gorilla's "I immediately regret this decision" face is so good though

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

No doubt; I enjoy what I've got. I just want more

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to see Bonolenov summon/become Jupiter again, while on the boat. Just put a massive hole in that big dumb whale.

A bit more seriously, I'm curious how many Spiders are going to get actual fights here, versus how many get murked by Hisoka before they can do anything. Bonolenov and Shizuku are probably safe for now since they're with Chrollo, and the Feitan-Phinks-Nobunaga trio seem like they'd be hard to jump like that too, but some of the others might just be here to get killed like how Kortopi and Shalnark were.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think there's a good chance Hisoka is already impersonating a spider, Bonovlev maybe.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bonolenov's way too short; he's not only shorter than Phinks, he's shorter than Shalnark was. Unless Hisoka hacked off his other leg to impersonate someone shorter than he is, he's probably not the mummy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Bonolenov's way too short; he's not only shorter than Phinks, he's shorter than Shalnark was. Unless Hisoka hacked off his other leg to impersonate someone shorter than he is, he's probably not the mummy.

In some panels but in others like this one he's taller than phinks

and here he looks a full head taller than Chrollo who is 5'9"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EmmyOk posted:

In some panels but in others like this one he's taller than phinks

and here he looks a full head taller than Chrollo who is 5'9"

Huh, dang, yeah. Weird; I went to his wiki page and in a shot from the Chimera Ant arc he's clearly shorter than Shalnark while being closer to the "camera". I mean, his design hasn't been the most consistent anyway, but still, weird.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's funny cos it could be subtle awesome Togashi art or just Togashi not giving a gently caress about perspective or staying on model

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I didn’t realize how many Conjurers the Spiders had/have. The conjurers that we have met so far all seemed to make the most of having the short end of the Nen stick. (RIP Kite / long live Kite.)

Also Illumi is an upgrade to Sharlnak (lol)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wildcard option: He's impersonating Chrollo. Why else do you think he refused to do the fortune telling? :tinfoil:

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/979144127148302336

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Kild posted:

Wildcard option: He's impersonating Chrollo. Why else do you think he refused to do the fortune telling? :tinfoil:

If this was any other manga I would agree, but Neon’s dead dude. David Carradine in a closet dead.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
togashi walking into SJ every week asking to be shot down so he can go back on hiatus

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

dazoner posted:

If this was any other manga I would agree, but Neon’s dead dude. David Carradine in a closet dead.

Option: Chrollo stealing an ability can be nen-exorcised.
Option: Neon ded

Do we know if Kurapika's actually in charge of the Nostrade setup or is he just effectively in charge?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

We knew it was a matter of time. I'm not even mad.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do you think beyonds strong or a failson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I mean he survived one trip into the Dark Continent.