Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

She's an artist she's not gonna go interview for an office job anytime soon or if she does it will be at some tech studio that thinks facial tattoos are rad

I don't think being an artist means you never have to get a day job

Pick posted:

What stupid “identity” will barely literate pervs adhere to once their wangus takes a chill pill

welcome to the Republican party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ouhei posted:

That stuck out to me too, I read once a week and was like "that seems fairly normal".

I mean the guy is a piece of poo poo and she should leave for what's in the rest of that post but once week is not a dead bedroom.

Edit: It's also fine if once a week isn't enough for her, but it's still not a dead bedroom.

It is for a 21-year-old. gently caress, I could bone down every day twice a day when I was that young.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lol if you can't still bone down any time, any where, with any thing

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

as much as the Internet tries, I don't think there's any magical way to phrase this basic idea that "doesn't count" as an ultimatum irl. Almost like the flaw is actually in their "ultimatums are always bad" idea... :thunk:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's an ultimatum; ultimatums are not universally evil.

Ugh, I was hoping someone would give their hot takes. You both ruined it by giving real answers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Clark Nova posted:

Business travel is probably the closest you can get to simulating the experience of being a well-fed, under-stimulated masturbating chimp in a zoo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

you had me at well fed, when do i start

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess a solid majority of goons have spent at least a few years living the Warcraft-and-takeout life, actually

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

My (25M) girlfriend (23F) of two years wants to tattoo stars on her face.

quote:

Usually I have no problems with tasteful tattoos, but I'm definitely not a fan of heavily tattooed bodies and I'm absolutely not into face tattoos. I never thought this would be an issue I'd have to face, but here I am.

My girlfriend is a really creative person. She's an artist and she's drawn both of the tattoos she has currently. One is a tribute to the cat she had growing up which I think is nice. The other one is just a cool little fairy, she's into mystical type stuff.

Now she wants to get a tattoo on her cheekbone of a star symbol that her friend used to regularly draw, in the place a tear would usually fall. The reasoning behind it is that her friend died from an overdose about a year ago and she wants to have it as a tribute.

I totally understand why she would want this, but I think it's a huge mistake. It's her FACE. It's the first thing everyone sees for the rest of her life and no one is going to understand the meaning behind this tattoo. It's just going to look like a childish star that she permanently put on her body in the most visible place possible. Honestly, I think it's going to look really trashy.

I've let her know I think it's a bad idea and she's told me it's not my choice. I know it's not my choice, but I'm afraid I'm going to lose my attraction to her if she goes through with this. At the same time, I feel like a total rear end in a top hat telling her that because I know she feels strongly about her friend and wants to remember him.

Should I give her an ultimatum? I don't want to but I feel like that's the only option I have left.

tl;dr: my girlfriend wants to tattoo her face. I'm strongly against it but I feel like giving her an ultimatum is lovely. Don't know what else to do.
lmfao

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Get her to go for hearts instead.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Palpek posted:

<snip>
Should I give her an ultimatum? I don't want to but I feel like that's the only option I have left.

tl;dr: my girlfriend wants to tattoo her face. I'm strongly against it but I feel like giving her an ultimatum is lovely. Don't know what else to do.

Question time for the thread: Is it an ultimatum if you tell someone "If X happens, I will do Y?" Because dude's allowed to have his preferences just as much as she's allowed to make her choices. Hard mode: remember that "If you cheat on me, I will break up with you" follows the pattern.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don’t think this thread thinks ultimatums are inherently bad, which they aren’t

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
“Stop beating me or I will call the cops” Wong relationship fooouuulllll

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

An ultimatum is something people can use to abuse and manipulate thier partner but its also the only way to communicate clear no-go situations like not wanting to date someone with a tattooed face.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Jesus, once a week is not a dead loving bedroom.
Once per week is "cya we're breaking up" territory for me. I wouldn't call it a dead bedroom. I'd call it horribly mismatched sex drives.

Pick posted:

I don’t think this thread thinks ultimatums are inherently bad, which they aren’t
Usually, if you're threatening something negative it's not needed.

You can just say "I wouldn't date someone with a face tattoo". Then when they get a face tattoo you just break up with them. There's no real need for an ultimatum.

Ultimatums don't usually work. Usually when you feel compelled to drop an ultimatum the other person isn't thinking with logic but is trying to use logic to backfill an emotional desire. Meaning, "if I just get that face tattoo he'll see how cool it is and change his mind" is far more likely to be their response to "If you get a face tattoo I'm breaking up with you" than "wow he's real serious, maybe I should give it a second thought". The issue is, if they gave it a thought to begin with they'd realize how bad of an idea it was.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 28, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sorry you can only get it up on the fortnight

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wahhhh sex is only .5% of my waking life, I need it to be .75% and ill poo poo up everything over it!!!!!!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I'm getting a dick tattooed on my face for all my friends that died of sex overdose.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Khorne posted:

Once per week is "cya we're breaking up" territory for me. I wouldn't call it a dead bedroom. I'd call it horribly mismatched sex drives.

So you're gonna go to zero a week

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
deja vu train exploded while leaving the station

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
What the hell is going on in this thread

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jeza posted:

Question time for the thread: Is it an ultimatum if you tell someone "If X happens, I will do Y?" Because dude's allowed to have his preferences just as much as she's allowed to make her choices. Hard mode: remember that "If you cheat on me, I will break up with you" follows the pattern.

as much as the Internet tries, I don't think there's any magical way to phrase this basic idea that "doesn't count" as an ultimatum irl. Almost like the flaw is actually in their "ultimatums are always bad" idea... :thunk:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So you're gonna go to zero a week
Going from 4+ rejections and once per week to 0 rejections and 0 per week is trading up.

Pick posted:

Sorry you can only get it up on the fortnight
Man, fortnight is such a confusing word to me. It's 48 hours in my head even though it's supposed to be 2 weeks.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Much like with drugs or alcohol, the bad thing is the abuse of ultimatums

"If you cheat on me I will break up with you" is fine, "I will call the cops if you beat me" is fine, "I will set fire to your couch and leave in the middle of the night if you gain 5 pounds" is not

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pick posted:

“Stop beating me or I will call the cops” Wong relationship fooouuulllll

You just need to communicate better!!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Words are the tools of abusers, I communicate with romantic partners like this :stare:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Khorne posted:

Man, fortnight is such a confusing word to me. It's 48 hours in my head even though it's supposed to be 2 weeks.

Nah, that's tuddays.

It's like "tuppence" but with days.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

whoa what just happened

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

whoa what just happened

Well the good news is you now have enough time to woo Emily Blunt

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Doc Hawkins posted:

Words are the tools of abusers, I communicate with romantic partners like this :stare:

That’s how my cat communicates he wants kibbles

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Jeza posted:

deja vu train exploded while leaving the station

I Hate It!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Well the good news is you now have enough time to woo Emily Blunt

Is this an Edge of Tomorrow reference or an Adjustment Bureau reference?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Palpek posted:

Now she wants to get a tattoo on her cheekbone of a star symbol that her friend used to regularly draw, in the place a tear would usually fall.

I'd tell everyone it was a prison tattoo symbolizing a murder she committed until she broke up with me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Is this an Edge of Tomorrow reference or an Adjustment Bureau reference?

Depends on how tall you are.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Barudak posted:

Depends on how tall you are.

Tall. Very tall. The tallest.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Pick posted:

Bonobos actually aren’t that sexual in the wild, they are perverse as hell in zoos because they’re intelligent but maddeningly bored and unchallenged. Of course this has no implications for any other closely related species

Oh friend. I'm not sure who told you this, but wild bonobo males like to gently caress infants

Chimps are super sexual, they gently caress just to greet each other

They gently caress to bond

They gently caress just to pass the time

It's a huge part of their culture and even how they communicate and establish pecking order

Putting them in a zoos was pretty much a guarantee to it becoming the Nastiest Show On Earth

EDIT:

Avenging_Mikon posted:

And just to demonstrate more of the range of depression, when I was at my worst and contemplating offing myself I used anger to keep going. Anger at all the people who had been assholes to me. Not only did I not want to prove them right, I wanted the opportunity to piss on their graves. That was still super-unhealthy, because if I'd taken that too far, I'd have been putting them IN those graves, and wouldn't have really cared about the consequences.

I'm better now. Not all the way, but never suicidal anymore.

Pro click on Pick's av current as of 7:43am MDT. SFW.

Oh absolutely, burning searing anger was pretty much what got me through at times. Certain people I was/am determined to outlive and pee on their graves, but that requires living. Also, anger at my stupid brain for trying to kill me often.

I'm way better now and the ideation has stopped, but it's hard to deny that spiciness was dangerous and could have gone either way. It burned at both ends and could have had disastrous results.

Also agreed, Pick pro-av + pro-click right now (until it changes again?)

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 28, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No that’s based on pretty bad research by de Waal and has been roundly criticized. Almost no research on wild bonobos exists, as they live in the highly unstable Congo region.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
You're cherry-picking there. It's my bad for confusing bonobos with chimps proper (they're not), but chimps themselves are absolutely that sexual and so the rep was extended to bonobos.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If bonobos is so dtf why are they always sending me clothes? How am I supposed to phreak with all these clothes on?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
they just want everyone to look nice, feel nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Pick posted:

No that’s based on pretty bad research by de Waal and has been roundly criticized. Almost no research on wild bonobos exists, as they live in the highly unstable Congo region.

And yet, you seemed pretty certain when you said they aren't very sexual in the wild.