Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So what are the best perks to get first? Grapple and parachute are obvious since they’re only 1 point a pop but after those I got another weapon slot, which also seems mandatory. Should I go for more health next or just grind out the last weapon slot before that? The “ more money for skins and stuff” also seems like something you want ASAP.

Grapple, Parachute, Wingsuit, Extra Holster.

After that I'd get the ones that make you gather 2x from animals, and fishing one. You can use those to get more perks + make a bunch of money to buy new toys.

Also I want to buy a beer for whoever writes these things:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

warburg posted:

Also, I definitely agree that they need to nerf the respawn rate of enemies in cars and the roadside prisoner events. Its pretty much non-stop.
I wonder if Ubi thought "welp, the players will be bored if they don't get to shoot something every five seconds" and made sure we'd constantly have something to kill.

I'm sure some people like it this way, but I actually like some quiet moments in my open world games so the constant enemy spawns are a bit annoying. They don't ruin the game or anything like that, I just find them slightly overkill.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
^^^You should take Hurk fishing... Also, your avatar is oddly evocative of this game. Just change the color of the flowers and replace Bruce with that god-awful drug lady.

Jesus Christ how are baby fights not a thing? I can't believe I never had this idea before.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 28, 2018

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Doc Morbid posted:

I wonder if Ubi thought "welp, the players will be bored if they don't get to shoot something every five seconds" and made sure we'd constantly have something to kill.

I'm sure some people like it this way, but I actually like some quiet moments in my open world games so the constant enemy spawns are a bit annoying. They don't ruin the game or anything like that, I just find them slightly overkill.

yeah I felt like 4 had just the right amount of random poo poo going on

also this seems like the most common complaint about the game so maybe they will tone it down somehow in a patch

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Knifegrab posted:

Are rifles/handguns hitscan or projectile? I really cannot figure it out (there is a tracer but no idea if that is cosmetic or actually indicative of ballistics)

They're projectile but they move realistically fast so they're pretty much hitscan until you're a few hundred meters away. No bullet penetration that I've seen so far, which is really starting to take me out of games a bit now. Let me shoot through thin walls for fucks sake! They spend so much time and effort making games look more real that they may as well make the guns behave somewhat more real as well.

Doc Morbid posted:

If they'd just set it so that the enemies don't attack me unless I shoot them first or I stop and let them look at me for a long time it would be alright. I mean I'm zooming by them at 40 miles an hour they shouldn't a single drat clue who I am.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
“Check out my sweet moves!” yells Hurk, as he runs in front of me at the exact moment I fire a rocket launcher.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I think there's a fairly broad consensus that the respawn rate needs to be toned down about 20% or so, though finding that balance can be tricky.

Thankfully this is something that can (likely) be adjusted via a patch tho.

Cultural Marxist posted:

“Check out my sweet moves!” yells Hurk, as he runs in front of me at the exact moment I fire a rocket launcher.

Well were they sweet moves?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tumble posted:

I mean I'm zooming by them at 40 miles an hour they shouldn't a single drat clue who I am.

also, having a ton of troops come at you made sense in a game like 4 where you are literally fighting against an army in the middle of a civil war, but having even more people coming at you that all belong to some fringe cult in Montana is kind of ridiculous even for these games, like the spawn rate feels less like fighting a rural cult and more like fighting a massive army of twenty thousand hobos who have a strong industrial base of truck manufacturing plants

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

That's like 4 different haircuts. I live in Chicago, I see shitloads of men with short on sides long on top haircuts everyday on my train. I assure you they are not nazis.

I'm sort of missing the ability to craft medkits. With enemies that have super laser accuracy I feel like I'm constantly wounded and hiding.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I found a mannequin head inside of a pipe on top of a building/stash. Like, why even is this?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm okay with these spawn rates and i will miss them when they're gone.

Also, in case someone mods this game in the future: later sights would be a cool thing to have. Enemies have then and I'm jealous. Immediately, i can see a utility in making it easier for some weapons to land shots when hip firing, especially pistols.

(I love the 1911 but when SHTF, i can take out like 4+dudes with my kitted out SMG-11, as opposed to two, maybe three kills with any pistol, per mag. :( )

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
known nazi Macklemore

I'm sure it wouldn't be this simple but I kind of wish if they do fix the spawn rate for enemies that they include an option for it. I generally would prefer the game to have a little less going on than it does, but it would be fun to have the option to turn it back up if I wanted to just watch a bunch of pickup trucks blaring hymns smash into each other while my dog just kind of wanders around the carnage

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

^^^You should take Hurk fishing... Also, your avatar is oddly evocative of this game. Just change the color of the flowers and replace Bruce with that god-awful drug lady.

Jesus Christ how are baby fights not a thing? I can't believe I never had this idea before.

Japan has you covered.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Holy gently caress, pitting your buddy in an attack helicopter is hilarious

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

shut up blegum posted:

Holy gently caress, pitting your buddy in an attack helicopter is hilarious

I only have one of the main buddy's so far but he's a pilot and is constantly bombing people with that de havilland looking plane, its great

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I got the upgrade that lets you carry more melee weapons. I've since cleared several outposts just by impaling cultists on a shovel. It's a little dumb that 2 magazines of bullets won't faze an armored guy, but chucking 2 shovels at them absolutely destroys them.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

being able to throw the shovel like a spear is the best

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm not one who's interested in debating politics in this thread but it IS kind of stupid that they decided to go with such a controversial subject only to play it so safe to the point of blandness and cliche.

It's totally understandable why they'd want to avoid alienating a lot of potential buyers but at that point, just go with a different subject that is a little more inherently "safe" and allow yourself to have some fun with it. Instead, this game feels like it's written by a committee of writers of various faiths and ethnicities (geddit?) that have written and re-written everything so many times that they lost all perspective and everything turned out totally unoriginal and flavorless.

I was thinking that maybe they went with the cult thing for the free advertising that controversy brings, but Ubisoft doesn't need that with their budgets.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the next Far Cry game is poking fun at dream sequences much as this game rips on climbing towers. They need to disappear entirely.

Ubisoft created the most beautiful and detailed world yet for a Far Cry game (and maybe of any game save a few) and all of the really pivotal scenes I've seen/played through rip you out of that would and dump you in a generic dream or altered reality sequence. It's loving baffling to me.

i like the cult idea. its just so far they don't really do anything with it. so far is basically the branch davidian type theology(seals mixed with end times gota arm up poo poo) with aum shinrikyo(drug the ever loving gently caress out followers until they think your magic) and ISIS(pretty much everything else) tactics. i think the story quest layouts are bad because they just happen at random points instead of opening up for you to take.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Earwicker posted:

I only have one of the main buddy's so far but he's a pilot and is constantly bombing people with that de havilland looking plane, its great

I'm talking about a random civilian I recruited and who's helping me out. I bought an attack helicopter but I got in on the wrong side like an idiot. I was getting out and she got in the pilot seat and took off. I then entered the store again and had my helicopter delivered again. Together we hosed everything up. Even when I got on the ground, she gave me air support :allears:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't looked at the bar graphs yet, are some melee weapons better than others?

Does iron pipe beat shovel which beats stick?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so far is basically the branch davidian type theology(seals mixed with end times gota arm up poo poo) with aum shinrikyo(drug the ever loving gently caress out followers until they think your magic) and ISIS(pretty much everything else) tactics.

and the name from heaven's gate

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Any word on if allies in attack choppers ever run out of ammo? If they don't, i might have just thought of something amazing.

shut up blegum posted:

I then entered the store again and had my helicopter delivered again. Together we hosed everything up. Even when I got on the ground, she gave me air support :allears:

Which is this exactly. :rock:

Morter fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 28, 2018

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, if anyone is wondering, you have to hold the parachute button to make your parachute come out

I tried to do the trick I do in every other game but I ended up just splatting in front of a bunch of cultists

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I got the helicopter lady cause I thought it would be useful to have a menopausal woman who could shoot the dick off a gopher from the air.

30 seconds into hiring her, she picked a fight with the entire state and went down in flames. I didn't hire her again.

I'm tempted to hire her and the plane guy at once cause I'm almost 100% certain that they'd constantly be colliding in midair and providing the world's best distraction while I dismantle the cult unhindered.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Getting mauled by a bear from behind, while trying to stealthily approach a camp. Never change.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm tempted to hire her and the plane guy at once cause I'm almost 100% certain that they'd constantly be colliding in midair and providing the world's best distraction while I dismantle the cult unhindered.

the plane guy is good at doing air support if you are on the ground. if you are in a plane though, he will sometimes knock you right out of the sky. he'll just be flying alongside you and then randomly turn right into you

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I started the game for the first time, changed some settings, then tried to restart it and now it just crashes whenever I try to start the game.

Restarting the PC and verifying the files didn't help.
WTF.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 28, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Earwicker posted:

the plane guy is good at doing air support if you are on the ground. if you are in a plane though, he will sometimes knock you right out of the sky. he'll just be flying alongside you and then randomly turn right into you

(John Seed endquest spoiler) I decided to call him in for the final dogfight against John since he really seemed to want his revenge and I like him. He showed up and promptly dove straight into my plane.

Never change, Far Cry.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Getright downlo posted:

To me the most annoying part of the capture teams is that you cannot win. They'll just keep coming and if you get hit once you're knocked out. It wouldn't be as bad if they were occasional open world events that you could escape or defeat.

If you're going to make them unwinnable why even set them up that way? Just have it occur as part of a required story mission.

Yeah I fought balls out in the first one. When I realized it was unbeatable I stopped trying. The formula is totally flawed and my biggest gripe with the game. I've come to expect the "Far Cry protagonist is forced to walk into obvious traps" but they didn't even try to camouflage the rails on it.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I started the game for the first time, changed some settings, then tried to restart it and now it just crashes whenever I try to start the game.

Restarting the PC and verifying the files didn't help.
WTF.

Delete your config files.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
So I VPN'ed to NZ to play the game early . Now the release has passed I figured I wouldn't need to do that anymore but each time I try to start the game in UPlay it says 'Game not found' or something. I've told it the correct directory multiple times and run the 'verify game files' thing but it just won't start. Open the VPN back up and the game starts fine. What gives?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

^^^ You didn't actually buy it through the VPN, did you? That would explain that. You should only ever unlock early through VPNs, not buy because it can be used to circumvent regional pricing. If so, you've probably violated the UPlay TOS and should contact support and explain what was going on cause they may be lovely and sanction you in some way.

Klisejo posted:

Yeah I fought balls out in the first one. When I realized it was unbeatable I stopped trying. The formula is totally flawed and my biggest gripe with the game. I've come to expect the "Far Cry protagonist is forced to walk into obvious traps" but they didn't even try to camouflage the rails on it.

And it happens countless times.

Given the fact that all of this poo poo seems to take place in areas outside the main map, it seems obvious that the story/map were created by completely separate teams with not nearly enough communication back and forth.

I mentioned it before, but the map and environment are superb in this game and it's poo poo that they decided to tell he story in a lazy, make-believe place.

Still, I love fishing. And killing people with bullets to the head.

And, regrettably, having my crotch mauled by wolverines.

Don't kink shame.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 28, 2018

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Put together a little montage of me and my buddy's first two hours or so in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3KTDZMBbBY

Gonna have to put together a glitch reel at some point because some of the bugs in this game are hysterical. Nothing gamebreaking so far but plenty of lovely open world jank to feast on.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Anyone else noticed their difficulty randomly dropping to easy? It's happened to me twice now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

Delete your config files.

Tried it already, didn't help.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Mr Scumbag posted:

^^^ You didn't actually buy it through the VPN, did you? That would explain that. You should only ever unlock early through VPNs, not buy because it can be used to circumvent regional pricing. If so, you've probably violated the UPlay TOS and should contact support and explain what was going on cause they may be lovely and sanction you in some way.

Nope, didn't need a VPN to preorder or even preload the game and tbh didn't even think about using it until it was mentioned in this thread.

My save's in the cloud so I might just try reinstalling it

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Akion posted:

Grapple, Parachute, Wingsuit, Extra Holster.

After that I'd get the ones that make you gather 2x from animals, and fishing one. You can use those to get more perks + make a bunch of money to buy new toys.

I also recommend getting the Lockpicks perk fairly early.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, seems you can't detonate them when they drop to the ground.

You may be throwing proximity C4 instead.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Probably way behind, but I wanted to chime in that I'm running this game at high settings with a i5 2500k OC'd to 4.2ghz and a 970. It runs incredibly smooth and I've had no noticeable frame rate drops.

They did a really good job optimizing this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

SolarFire2 posted:

I also recommend getting the Lockpicks perk fairly early.

Ide rather just blow open the safes than waste precious perk points on that