Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

nah elise is a good name

also elan and europa and esprit

not sure about evora or eclat or elite but we'll make do

lotus emacs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I'm the hedge fund manager telling the public exactly what I plan on doing and everyone should definitely do it with me

every finance site says the same thing: random analyst/manager says stock is going to go up/down act fast!!! it could all be randomly generated for the good it does

Congratulations! Welcome to Wall Street. Dont forget to collect your huge bonus and sexually harass the secretary.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
hope you hate having windows in your car

“SFPD is trying to curb car break-ins by encouraging people to not leave valuables in their vehicles” yeah cool last time I was in SF my rental car got smashed in so they could snatch a cellphone vent mount. The city is a hellhole.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lancemantis posted:

tesla basically makes 2 different cars at this point (model s and x are practically the same), and this is the second model they’ve done the full car for

whatever the market cap of the company is, they probably have only a tiny fraction of the investment any other large automaker does for their manufacturing processes so yeah they’re going to suck and make no money

like most other small automakers are niche and do ok because they have a lot of experience but they still tend to have plenty of issues but their consumers care less because it’s niche (like lotus); they also charge niche prices while tesla is trying to be a luxury and economy marque simultaneously

no the s and x are probably quite different from an assembly point of view thanks to the stupidly complex doors on the x.

really tesla probably should have switched from primarily making cars to supplying complete drivetrains to traditional automakers. keep making the S and new roadster to keep the "Tesla = crazy fast performance" branding in popular consciousness while making money off the combined e-vehicle production of all the automakers.

but Musk is a control freak and would never go for not being able to treat the company like his personal playground. he was probably pissed at the mercedes b-class and i bet it only let it happen to secure mercedes' (now sold) investment in tesla.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Tokamak posted:

it is a former gm/toyota factory. it produced 6000 vehicles a week on average, and over 8000 a week at its peak. they closed it in 2010 because fremont california is an expensive and bad location to produce cars. so why is it producing about a thousand cars a week? the plant purchase was mainly the building, and not the equipment or knowledge. the production line and retooling was designed by tesla. their production goal is 500,000/year, or 70,000/year more cars than was ever produced at that site.

Lol that these people think they're smarter than Toyota, who has spent nearly a century perfecting one thing.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the tesla model x is a prius minivan with lambo doors

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy Carter posted:

hope you hate having windows in your car

“SFPD is trying to curb car break-ins by encouraging people to not leave valuables in their vehicles” yeah cool last time I was in SF my rental car got smashed in so they could snatch a cellphone vent mount. The city is a hellhole.

The data saying all other come is dropping while window smashing rises is really bizarre to me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its quick, easy, and low risk.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Lol that these people think they're smarter than Toyota, who has spent nearly a century perfecting one thing.

no that means they're stuck in a rut and we need to come and redesign everything from first principles because obviously doing something for 100 years means doing something exactly the same way for 100 years and not actually improving in measurable ways

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TerminalRaptor posted:

The data saying all other come is dropping while window smashing rises is really bizarre to me.

i guess maybe fewer people are cumming much harder?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

posted this in the doomsday econ thread i'll post it here too: in before they inevitably blame unions for tesla's downfall

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

posted this in the doomsday econ thread i'll post it here too: in before they inevitably blame unions for tesla's downfall

obviously the lack of froyo is why the factory isn't running at 110% capacity already

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shaggar posted:

its quick, easy, and low risk.
this, there is never any prosecution for car break ins. and there’s just too much about it to do anything

also many sf residents see people having cars as luxuries (they extremely are) and builds resentment seeing new rentals or brand new Lexus’s so it’s easier to justify too

now it does absolutely suck, but I haven’t had it happen to my company car (prius) which I’ve parked in very sketch places and is pretty janky and scratched and et filled to the brim with construction equipment, dash cam, cables, fall arrest harnesses, tool kits, etc and haven’t had a problem but then again I’m not parked overnight there.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rex-Goliath posted:

but they haven’t even joined the uaw thanks to elongated musk’s purges

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Facebook still hasn't fixed its real estate advertising problem and advocacy groups aren't just asking anymore

quote:

According to the lawsuit, Facebook provided the fake Realtors with pre-populated lists of groups they could choose to exclude from seeing the ads, including women or men or families with children. They could also opt to exclude people with certain interests, including disabled veterans, disabled parking permits, or learning English as a second language.

In January, for example, the National Fair Housing Alliance says it made an ad for a fake apartment, using Facebook to promote it to people in Washington. Choosing from a list of preset options, the fictitious landlord was able to exclude people with interests in the “National Association for Bikers with a Disability,” “Disabled American Veterans,” “Disability.gov,” and “Disabled Parking Permit.” Facebook estimated that the ad would reach 1.2 million people, the group reported.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think of myself as pretty internet savvy. I use Apple products for their better privacy protections, including safari. I have Facebook but never sign in. I use 1Blocker on all my computers. I’m never signed in to Google, except on my work computer, which is signed in to my work Gmail account. And yet, whatever I search for on Amazon inevitably starts powering ads in Instagram. I know I should shop local and delete all FB properties but I’m not ready to become a full digital hermit. I just can’t figure out how FB finds out what I’m looking for on Amazon and/or Google. I thought I was blocking all that tracking poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
source ur quotes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol if you drive or park in san francisco

some dumb tech millionaire is trying to run for mayor on a "get tough on car break-ins" platform including no bail for people arrested for breaking a window

Apr 7, 2003

I'm glad people are smashing cars up in SF

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

I'm glad people are smashing cars up in SF

now if we could just get it nationwide

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kobayashi posted:

I use Apple products for their better privacy protections,

Lmao that anyone believes this

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

the fallout of tesla going out of business will own significantly

no one will want to have anything to do with that service contract

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im the guy who apparently blocks "tracking poo poo" but allows ads like that's somehow different

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I wish I knew how to block instagram ads on my phone :/

Apr 7, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

the fallout of tesla going out of business will own significantly

no one will want to have anything to do with that service contract

Don't forget that the cars are locked down and will probably all turn into expensive bricks once the company shits the bed. Tesla locks out customers for plugging anything into the diagnostic Ethernet port.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bhodi posted:

I wish I knew how to block instagram ads on my phone :/

Delete Instagram

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

now if we could just get it nationwide

agreed it is everyones sworn duty to smash car windows

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Don't forget that the cars are locked down and will probably all turn into expensive bricks once the company shits the bed. Tesla locks out customers for plugging anything into the diagnostic Ethernet port.

holy fuk i can't wait to hear about some poor volvo mechanic who presses the wrong thing and now has to call some understaffed tesla call center to find out how to unlock it

:jackbud:

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

why do people lock their car doors? it's not a portable safe zone fortress for keeping your stuff and especially now it's not like you have 40 cds and a discman riding along in there.

have parked in sf for 15 years, nobody ever hosed with my car :welp:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

muckswirler posted:

why do people lock their car doors? it's not a portable safe zone fortress for keeping your stuff and especially now it's not like you have 40 cds and a discman riding along in there.

have parked in sf for 15 years, nobody ever hosed with my car :welp:

makes it easier to legally justify murdering someone when exercising castle car doctrine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you don't lock your doors I'd imagine that a homeless guy will discover a nice private toilet stall, since there are so few in the city

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

no dirty randy and the boys incidents so far :D

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my buddy in nola who had a rag top jeep stopped locking it after someone slashed it open to steal the change outta his cupholders

he only found a bum sleeping in there once before he white flighted out to metairie

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my buddy in nola who had a rag top jeep stopped locking it after someone slashed it open to steal the change outta his cupholders

he only found a bum sleeping in there once before he white flighted out to metairie

woulda been cheaper to buy a real car

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol i remember back in college for the eight months or so i spent living in a dorm, i kept forgetting to lock my car door. one night i went out to find that someone had gotten in and rifled through the glove compartment; fortunately there wasn't really anything valuable for them to take.

oh, they also tried to steal the crappy old cd player (this was 2003 and it was still probably worth like $15 at most), and when they failed to do so they took the faceplate anyway and appeared to have smashed or stabbed the head unit with a screwdriver or something. in a way i found that more frustrating than having it completely stolen, because as it was my stepdad and i half-assed the installation (being that this was a crappy old ~84 Chevy Cavalier) and in fact when we went to remove the broken unit it practically just pulled right out in our hands without much effort at all; how many loving cans of Hamm's do you have to smash against your forehead to fail so hard at stealing a goddamn CD player?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

it's actually illegal to leave your car unsecured in many civilized countries. cops don't walk around checking door handles, but if someone steals your stuff or the car they will ask why you left it unlocked and insurance might not cover any losses.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

someone stole my car battery once :/

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

President Beep posted:

loving lol

seems like it's pretty easy to tell a cop that you locked the door tho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ArmZ posted:

woulda been cheaper to buy a real car

lol i used to tell people that the streets there are so hosed because city council hates low riders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

President Beep posted:

We had some breakins like that at my last apartment in Seattle. The car next to mine had its windows smashed and the hood popped and some leads or something coming from the battery like some tweaker thought they could maybe start the car like that?

Meanwhile I had a pretty nice motorcycle that someone probably could have just rolled out of the garage and sold for parts but luckily it wasn't touched