Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should probably continue since it's fairly clearly followed up on, and also the party changes anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Don't feel like you have to read Dungeon Meshi/Delicious In Dungeon just cause a lot of us in the thread like it, man. Don't force yourself if it's not to your taste no pun intended

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Actually, do. Do read the things we say to read, and do not dissent, or else. :toughguy:

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Compendium posted:

Beaststars is interesting enough in terms of setting to keep me reading and there are some chapters I really liked (which ironically are not wholly connected to the main plot like the developing friendship of the cheetah and sheep girl which was really cute). I agree that the plot is meandering and I wish it kind of wrapped up faster in a way?

Yeah, the reason I got fired up enough to make that post is that Beastars isn't even truly bad as it is, it's just way more melodramatic and shounen than I thought it would be from the first dozen chapters.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Scrree posted:

Yeah, the reason I got fired up enough to make that post is that Beastars isn't even truly bad as it is, it's just way more melodramatic and shounen than I thought it would be from the first dozen chapters.
I think it is a shounen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Demographic is determined by magazine though and every magazine has stuff that either pushes the boundaries of what is acceptable for that age group in either direction or straight up is outside them, like hiring a shoujo artist to run a romance in your shonen mag to grab some female readers. Talk about whatever wherever imo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Captain Invictus posted:

Actually, do. Do read the things we say to read, and do not dissent, or else. :toughguy:

if you're not reading kengan ashura you absolutely should be

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Don't feel like you have to read Dungeon Meshi/Delicious In Dungeon just cause a lot of us in the thread like it, man. Don't force yourself if it's not to your taste no pun intended

Oh no, I appreciate that but it's just funny to me because by the numbers it should be something I love. A lot of my favorite series didn't click right away anyway; I remember having to loving force myself to get through the first volume of kokou no hito and that's now in my top 5.

It's just funny when a series is all over my twitter & here and my friends are into it and I feel guilty so I just play along and say oh yeah it's amazing looking! :sigh:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sharkopath posted:

I think it is a shounen.
Yeah, I didn't look up what magazine Beastars was in but it seemed like it wouldn't be a real fit for a shounen mag since honestly there's very little action and a LOT of melodrama and barely obscured sex at times.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Jose posted:

if you're not reading kengan ashura you absolutely should be

Not emptyquoting

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The latest Hanakaku chapter is super satisfying if you've been following the series so far.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Mikl posted:

The latest Hanakaku chapter is super satisfying if you've been following the series so far.

I was behind a few chapters and lmao at villian girl

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Suddenly I realize Teppu was literally the first arc of a traditional sports manga told from the antagonist's perspective.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Sindai posted:

Suddenly I realize Teppu was literally the first arc of a traditional sports manga told from the antagonist's perspective.

Yes and it was amazing, it’s too bad the author got sick and had to end it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Hel posted:

Since people are confessing to not liking Dungeon Meshi I must admit that while I liked it at the start my interest just disappeared when after they resurrect the sister, she just disappears again so they can keep the status quo or whatever instead of having her join the party and have a new goal I don't know if that changes later but that kind of storytelling just completely kills my investment any time it happens
Yeah, Dungeon Meshi clicked for me with the initial exploration of the dungeon up until they actually sort of accomplish their stated goal, then the "real plot" or whatever kinda starts kicking in and I checked out. It's honestly kinda dull past a certain point. The style, the art, and frequently the comedic timing is really loving great though and it's a really good manga.

Beastars starts out really strong and gets better and better and then it pretty clearly hits this wall where you can tell the mangaka is basically trying to tee up like a dozen different plot threads to all dovetail into eachother at some critical moment- but misses the point that all of that setup itself should be good too instead of coming off like the manga has no idea where it's going with anything. I thought that the whole Legosi/Haru romance thing was handled really well myself however- like they got more reasons than teenaged angst to not really be able to commit to eachother. Even if Haru gets damseled she's still probably one of the strongest female characters I've seen in a manga in a long time.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 28, 2018

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I gave Hanakaku a shot. I kinda wish I would've waited to get past this fight cause I want Hanaka to punch the poo poo out of her.

Sure, it's pretty cliche so far but I'm enjoying her growth as a person.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was initially leery of beastars and still sorta am but the dog bros touch my heart

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Beastars got very very close to becoming wolf guy for a moment, down to the same Lion vs. Wolf symbolism. and well, rape

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Beastars rules and is way better than some garbage shounen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yo the panda pulled out a machine gun.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was wondering how the chicken egg situation worked in this world and now that I got to the chapter where you find out I wish I hadn't

wait, there's rape? wtf

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I was wondering how the chicken egg situation worked in this world and now that I got to the chapter where you find out I wish I hadn't

wait, there's rape? wtf
Nah, it just very nearly happens. Well, sort of. Someone just nearly gets eaten but the perp is a creep.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

So apparently this is only 21 chapters long? :negative: I mean sure the main characters' first opponent is a hilariously overdone villain, but I still thought the basic premise is interesting.

Meanwhile poo poo like Karate Shoukoushi Minoru, which is 70% uninteresting garbage, 20% lovely jokes and 10% actually decent fights runs for 50 volumes and gets a sequel.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i guess i would agree that when the scope of beastars expands in the case of stuff like the yakuza arc and beastars selection, it seems kinda odd and silly. but those end up being pretty short interludes in the grand scheme of things and the story still mostly focuses on the school life/murder mystery and societal aspects related to that. the yakuza arc happening did at least give the good stuff of more panda and handsome deer boy trying to be a hardass while his underlings worry about him though, which i love.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

i guess i would agree that when the scope of beastars expands in the case of stuff like the yakuza arc and beastars selection, it seems kinda odd and silly. but those end up being pretty short interludes in the grand scheme of things and the story still mostly focuses on the school life/murder mystery and societal aspects related to that. the yakuza arc happening did at least give the good stuff of more panda and handsome deer boy trying to be a hardass while his underlings worry about him though, which i love.

I might be projecting but I love how Haru seems like the author putting all her personal frustrations on how morality and righteousness is tied to a womans perceived purity by having a cool girl that just likes loving and only unsymapthetic mob characters hold it against her.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

nerdz posted:

Beastars got very very close to becoming wolf guy for a moment, down to the same Lion vs. Wolf symbolism. and well, rape

So that's what that was called. I remember reading it and finding it interesting but then it just became completely obsessed with rape and I noped out of it pretty quickly. It was an interesting premise having a nearly unkillable character who was totally mortal every now and then.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

wait, there's rape? wtf

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The beastars lady is a nutter and I love her

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
She seems cool, she's cool with me

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
After reading through the responses to my rant, I decided to reread the last 25~ chapters of Beastars. I had a pretty strong emotional reaction last time I stopped reading, so to try and stay unbiased I tried to push aside my own exceptions of what the story should be, and just took it chapter by chapter. Turns out, Beastars is...

pretty good!! The overall tone of the manga shifted to a much snappier form, and somehow the first time I read it I just missed all of the humor? Like, I just assumed the lighter tone was some kind of 'shounen degeneration' when it was really the characters and situation developing in a direction I didn't anticipate. Also, to be honest, learning that the author is a woman makes me far more confident that the female lead is going to be handled well.

So yeah, read Beastars! It's good! Not the best (I still think the middle-arc is kind of a fumble), but definitely worthwhile!

Scrree fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 29, 2018

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

So that's what that was called. I remember reading it and finding it interesting but then it just became completely obsessed with rape and I noped out of it pretty quickly. It was an interesting premise having a nearly unkillable character who was totally mortal every now and then.

I was here when the posters were just recovering from the Akumetsu high, and the author moved on to wolf guy. Everyone was pretty hype, there were some crazy twists and started strong, but then everyone deflated and got the gently caress out once the second half of the series was just about rape.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Scrree posted:

After reading through the responses to my rant, I decided to reread the last 25~ chapters of Beastars. I had a pretty strong emotional reaction last time I stopped reading, so to try and stay unbiased I tried to push aside my own exceptions of what the story should be, and just took it chapter by chapter. Turns out, Beastars is...

I'm glad you liked the recent chapters. I figured at the point you stopped at deserved that visceral reaction and I think I was nearly about to stop too because it was getting too much. But I really wanted to see how things got resolved and how in a way, despite fumbling and stumbling, I still liked the manga because it offered more beyond the trauma the characters go through. There's humor, Legosi remains fairly lovable as a protagonist because of how thoughtful he is, and I am always interested in minor characters who get a focus even if they're not part of the main plot since it's part of the world building.

There have been other manga that disappointed me more, but Beaststars always has these really interesting aspects of its world-building and character relationships I want to keep reading about and am willing to see where it takes me.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Puukko naamassa posted:

So apparently this is only 21 chapters long? :negative: I mean sure the main characters' first opponent is a hilariously overdone villain, but I still thought the basic premise is interesting.

Meanwhile poo poo like Karate Shoukoushi Minoru, which is 70% uninteresting garbage, 20% lovely jokes and 10% actually decent fights runs for 50 volumes and gets a sequel.

If you want a good MMA manga try Teppu (already mentioned in this thread) or All Rounder Meguru. I'm especially a fan of the latter.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Teppu is sadly pretty short but what's there is definitely worth reading.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Minoru is okay but seems to take the MMA realism to an extreme degree where a dude gets kicked in the leg like once and it instantly looks like someone dropped a pack of bratwurst on the street.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do people talk about To Your Eternity here?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think so. It's one of my favorite ongoing manga period but I've just kinda been silently enjoying it. Quality poo poo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's amazing and really brave after Koe No Katachi. Her art feels pretty unique and I love the concept.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It uses immortality in really interesting ways. Over the course of ten panels, it shows six generations of worshipers. An entire lifetime between a panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I have a theory about those worshipers. They have a knocker in their arms. If Fushi gets close to even one of them and does his memory-change into that person, he will also replicate that knocker and it will take control of him.