Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sure, but the whole point of that episode is that she loves the worm, not the host.

I mean is she loving the worm directly that seems more of an anime thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

I mean is she loving the worm directly that seems more of an anime thing

If it were an anime thing, then I'm pretty sure the lady Trill would be anatomically able to couple with Dr. Crusher.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could travel to distant places in a balsa wood pod

not enough goddamn pods in my life as it is

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They say in the companion that when they got to season 4 they figured Sisko had developed enough of an identity that they wouldn't have to worry about similar looks to Hawk in Spencer so they let him go ahead and shave.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pakled posted:

I think it was more that they didn't want him to look too similar to his character in Spenser: For Hire for which he was best-known at that point.

This is the correct story yeah. Later on they let him shave to Full Avery Brooks Mode once he's established.

It's just nobody remembers The Hawk or Spenser For Hire anymore except my mom.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I agreed with the quotes in 50 Year Mission where Brooks supposedly said he looked like a black Ken doll in the first few seasons, and now i can’t unsee that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I agreed with the quotes in 50 Year Mission where Brooks supposedly said he looked like a black Ken doll in the first few seasons, and now i can’t unsee that

drat it.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Okay, I've finally reached a point where I have space for a proper 90s science fiction television show in my life. I'm going to start watching DS9. Please give me tips on how to maximise my enjoyment of this.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

womb with a view posted:

Okay, I've finally reached a point where I have space for a proper 90s science fiction television show in my life. I'm going to start watching DS9. Please give me tips on how to maximise my enjoyment of this.

Fall asleep during the first two episodes then ask TVIV to explain what the worm hole is all about and why everyone thinks Sisko is Jesus. That’s what I did and I am having a great time with my watch through.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

womb with a view posted:

Turn on the television and look at it while DS9 is on. Embrace your inner Garak.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

womb with a view posted:

DS9 is a bit of a counterpoint to TNG. TNG is the morals and values of the Federation, DS9 puts them through the ringer. DS9 is the best Trek imo, but only because it has TNG to build off of.

So that said, you might want to check out a few TNG episodes before you kick into DS9.

S4E12 - The Wounded - O'Brien's war experiences with the Cardassians
S5E3 - Ensign Ro - Bajoran ensign, Maquis build up
S6E10-11 - Chain of Command - Cardassian intrigue
S7E20 - Journey's End - Wesley episode, but deals with the displacement of natives at the hands of a Federation/Cardassian peace treaty, Maquis build up
S7E24 - Preemptive Strike - Tests Ro's loyalties to the Bajorans and to the Federation

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MillennialVulcan posted:

DS9 is a bit of a counterpoint to TNG. TNG is the morals and values of the Federation, DS9 puts them through the ringer. DS9 is the best Trek imo, but only because it has TNG to build off of.

So that said, you might want to check out a few TNG episodes before you kick into DS9.

S7E20 - Journey's End - Wesley episode, but deals with the displacement of natives at the hands of a Federation/Cardassian peace treaty, Maquis build up
S7E24 - Preemptive Strike - Tests Ro's loyalties to the Bajorans and to the Federation

This is a pretty good suggestion. Also gives you a bit of Picard to give Emissary more punch.

DS9 has few stinkers and it generally is a slow build to greatness so if there is a skip list, its small.

Even the worst episodes are good for something, though. People say to skip Storyteller and Melora but hen you miss the beginning of the OBrien/Bashir bromance and the Klingon Chef. Those two I skip on rewatches, though. And Meridian. Is there anything good in Meridian?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think Meridian has the b-plot where Quark is trying to get a holoimage of Kira, which has a great payoff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Meridian has the B-plot where Jeffrey Combs plays the creep who wants Quark to pimp out a holo-Kira for him, iirc. It’s not good but might be worth a chuckle.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MillennialVulcan posted:

No Best of Both Worlds? For shame.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

And Meridian. Is there anything good in Meridian?

Some fun Sisko/Dax, Quark is gross and gets comeuppance, and some of the planet shots are pretty.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

womb with a view posted:

I agree with the others, but also keep us posted. I love reading peoples' first thoughts on episodes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If Wishes Were Horses is a very mediocre episode that both TOS and TNG did better, but it also introduces the baseball.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Okay, I'll keep all that in mind!

No worries there, I don't think I'll skip any. If I got through Plato's Stepchildren, Code of Honor, and any episode of Voyager, I'll probably be fine.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched any Enterprise.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There's no episode of DS9 worse than the worst Voyager has to offer. With maybe one exception, all the "bad" episodes of DS9 are on par with merely forgettable TNG episodes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love how any time any trek wanted to do something actually a little line-pushingly progressive Berman was there to say "eww gross no!" and then sexually harass someone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pakled posted:

There's no episode of DS9 worse than the worst Voyager has to offer. With maybe one exception, all the "bad" episodes of DS9 are on par with merely forgettable TNG episodes.
Correct. They are at least watchable.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

I love how any time any trek wanted to do something actually a little line-pushingly progressive Berman was there to say "eww gross no!" and then sexually harass someone.

Berman was pretty terrible to Terry Farrell, but Maurice Hurley was the sex monster on TNG. And there was Brannon Braga, and you just know he made Jeri Ryan wear the catsuit when they were dating.

Berman's big issue was that he was a raging egomaniac who saw himself as the keeper of Roddenberry's legacy.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Mooseontheloose posted:

No Best of Both Worlds? For shame.

The Borg never show up in DS9 as an antagonist and The Emissary does a perfect job of showing what that chance encounter did to Sisko. It's also the most famous episode of Trek. People already know it.

Sisko didn't need the broader context of Best of Both Worlds for his life to be destroyed and neither do you.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 28, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Grand Fromage posted:

This is the correct story yeah. Later on they let him shave to Full Avery Brooks Mode once he's established.

It's just nobody remembers The Hawk or Spenser For Hire anymore except my mom.
It was also Rick Berman being an rear end and insisting that Brooks would be too intimidating with the goatee and shaved head, hence why they went with what Terry Farrell called the “black ken doll” look.

Berman wanted something “middle American”. :jerkbag:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Timby posted:

Berman was pretty terrible to Terry Farrell, but Maurice Hurley was the sex monster on TNG. And there was Brannon Braga, and you just know he made Jeri Ryan wear the catsuit when they were dating.

Berman's big issue was that he was a raging egomaniac who saw himself as the keeper of Roddenberry's legacy.

Braga mostly comes off as the type of dude who was good when he had people above him, but once he got into the driver's seat was too egotistical to continue to get edits for his junk.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gorelab posted:

Braga mostly comes off as the type of dude who was good when he had people above him, but once he got into the driver's seat was too egotistical to continue to get edits for his junk.

That's definitely the case when he was running Voyager and wound up treating Ron Moore like year-old dogshit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He also agreed to take the showrunner job on Enterprise despite being creatively burned out by that point, as we have recently learned

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He also agreed to take the showrunner job on Enterprise despite being creatively burned out by that point, as we have recently learned

Wasn't hard to deduce from the Enterprise episodes we got, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FlamingLiberal posted:

I almost felt bad for him in the enterprise section of 50 year. Like he outright admits he was creatively burned out but was too much of a control freak to let other people handle the show. He admits what he was doing and what he was fighting against in the writers room (more continuity) was wrong, and when he finally went against his judgement and let other people's ideas be heard the show got a lot better but it was too little too late.

He was just so desperately chasing those TNG popularity feels, Berman and Braga's post-TNG careers are just so sad and pathetic that they couldn't let TNG go, from the structure to the stupid "rules" to the impossible demands of recreating the mass popularity.

Oh and Berman constantly defending and vetoing the ENT theme song is amazing too. You'll have like a page of every single person involved in the show saying the intro was a huge mistake that most of them were against, how focus groups laughed at it, but Berman just loving loved that song so much he rammed it through and vetoed any changes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Baronjutter posted:

Oh and Berman constantly defending and vetoing the ENT theme song is amazing too. You'll have like a page of every single person involved in the show saying the intro was a huge mistake that most of them were against, how focus groups laughed at it, but Berman just loving loved that song so much he rammed it through and vetoed any changes.

No one could bend or break him

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can't speak for UPN's situation by 2005 but all things being equal were it not for that awful lame-dad-rock intro ENT would have run for seven seasons

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you start finding season one boring, skip to Duet and watch from there. If you're enjoying it, skip nothing. Season one is legitimately kind of mediocre and nothing in it is so critical that you should risk burning out to watch it. Do try it first though, it isn't like TNG where the recommended watch says to skip season one sight unseen

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Kenjamin Sisko. He's in the military! So dashing and courageous! His "little brother" Jake wants to be a reporter! You can do it, scout! And here comes Kenjamin's girlfriend, Malibu Kassidie, who has her own pink bulk freighter. Looking fashionable, Kassidie!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

cheetah7071 posted:

If you start finding season one boring, skip to Duet and watch from there. If you're enjoying it, skip nothing. Season one is legitimately kind of mediocre and nothing in it is so critical that you should risk burning out to watch it. Do try it first though, it isn't like TNG where the recommended watch says to skip season one sight unseen

I'm glad I watched Encounter at Farpoint and Code of Honor though

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sure, but the whole point of that episode is that she loves the worm, not the host.

Star Trek: Love The Worm, Not The Host

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

I can't speak for UPN's situation by 2005 but all things being equal were it not for that awful lame-dad-rock intro ENT would have run for seven seasons

I don't really think that's true. Berman was an idiot but I do think he had a point regarding franchise fatigue. At that point of Enterprise's cancellation, Trek had been on TV continuously for almost two decades, and there had been movies coming out every few years for almost 25. And Enterprise cratered right out of the gate. I think by like halfway through the first season it had already hemorrhaged more than half the viewers from the pilot, and I believe around the time that the third season was airing they were barely clearing three million viewers per episode.

People may not have been tired of Trek in and of itself, but they were certainly tired of lovely Trek, and Enterprise was basically a year-old TV dinner that had been microwaved three times over. The wasted potential still pisses me off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Timby posted:

I don't really think that's true. Berman was an idiot but I do think he had a point regarding franchise fatigue. At that point of Enterprise's cancellation, Trek had been on TV continuously for almost two decades, and there had been movies coming out every few years for almost 25. And Enterprise cratered right out of the gate. I think by like halfway through the first season it had already hemorrhaged more than half the viewers from the pilot, and I believe around the time that the third season was airing they were barely clearing three million viewers per episode.

People may not have been tired of Trek in and of itself, but they were certainly tired of lovely Trek, and Enterprise was basically a year-old TV dinner that had been microwaved three times over. The wasted potential still pisses me off.

Franchise fatigue can be a thing, but in Trek's case it was entirely the talent, not the audience. The trek movies were bad, Voyager was bad, Enterprise was bad. If those shows had actually been good, if the movies didn't vary from "bland tng 2 parter" to "one of the worst movies I've ever seen" then maybe trek wouldn't have died. It feels like way too easy of an excuse to just say "franchise fatigue" when there was such a massive drop in quality. People had fatigue for trek with Rick Berman involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

womb with a view posted:

Okay, I'll keep all that in mind!

No worries there, I don't think I'll skip any. If I got through Plato's Stepchildren, Code of Honor, and any episode of Voyager, I'll probably be fine.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched any Enterprise.

If you're not going to skip anything (like a true Star Trek fan) and TNG already taught you to take the bad with the mediocre with the good then there really isn't much else to do except watch. Drop by and make fun/praise them!