Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Just to add to this, here is the official schedule posted to backers:

Also, the chapters break down like this, according to the first preview:

Chapter One: The Dragon-Blooded touches on the history of the Dragon-Blooded, how they experience Exaltation, and the furious elemental nature of their Essence.
Chapter Two: The Great Houses details the Ten Great Houses of the Scarlet Dynasty — and one fallen house that lives on in its shadow.
Chapter Three: Life in the Scarlet Dynasty elaborates on the society and culture of the Realm’s ruling Dragon-Blooded families.
Chapter Four: Beyond the Realm covers Dragon-Blooded living outside the Scarlet Realm, from the Shogunate successor state of Lookshy and various lesser groups to the thousands of individual Dragon-Blooded heroes scattered across the Threshold.
Chapter Five: Character Creation lays out the rules for creating a Dragon-Blooded player character.
Chapter Six: Traits presents the five elemental Aspects, as well as anima powers, unique Merits, and other traits important to Dragon-Blooded characters.
Chapter Seven: Charms catalogues the innate elemental and martial magics of the Dragon-Blooded Host.
Chapter Eight: Martial Arts and Sorcery introduces several new Martial Arts styles, including the puissant Immaculate Dragon styles, as well as elemental spells wielded by Dragon-Blooded sorcerers.
Chapter Nine: Heirlooms of Power offers a selection of artifact weapons available to champions of the Scarlet Dynasty.
Chapter Ten: Princes of the Earth depicts an array of noteworthy Dragon-Blooded NPCs for use in your chronicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The write-ups for each House are pretty good. Ragara is especially of interest because they've expanded from the standard fantasy shithead bankers they were to being incredibly ambitious occultists who are gathering a bunch of First Age artifice and doing insane poo poo like binding raksha to their souls, experimenting on outcastes and Anathema to figure out the secrets of Exaltation, and other fun things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SunAndSpring posted:

The write-ups for each House are pretty good. Ragara is especially of interest because they've expanded from the standard fantasy shithead bankers they were to being incredibly ambitious occultists who are gathering a bunch of First Age artifice and doing insane poo poo like binding raksha to their souls, experimenting on outcastes and Anathema to figure out the secrets of Exaltation, and other fun things.

That's pretty cool. I remember reading their write-up in one of the earlier editions and their shtick of being 'we have the moneys' never exactly inspired the imagination like the other Houses.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Dawgstar posted:

That's pretty cool. I remember reading their write-up in one of the earlier editions and their shtick of being 'we have the moneys' never exactly inspired the imagination like the other Houses.

To be clear their vast wealth and debt ties to every other house are just as vital as their secret sorcerous laboratories and occult ambitions - Realm politics and interpersonal relationships are far more likely to be shaped by debts than secret sorcery, but then again, I like a lot of economics in my Exalted and this edition is doing a lot more to make economic concerns actionable and interesting.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
More like every game I've ever played was with lovely players all out to force the rest of the players to sit there impotently as the winner got to do things and everyone else could eat poo poo.

"Oh you wanted to command a legion? WELL I KILLED THEM ALL LOL!!"

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Is it weird that it's weird to me that Ejava's just a footnote now? I mean, I realise all the old iconics got the boot with 3rd edition, but she's always felt like more of a major setting NPC than an iconic to me. :shrug:

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

TwoQuestions posted:

More like every game I've ever played was with lovely players all out to force the rest of the players to sit there impotently as the winner got to do things and everyone else could eat poo poo.

"Oh you wanted to command a legion? WELL I KILLED THEM ALL LOL!!"

That's rough. Finding a good playgroup is really important for any game, but it seems like that's true for Exalted more than most. I'm lucky; the most annoying thing any player routinely does in my games is buy Performance 5 with all his characters so he can continually link to YouTubes of the indie rock and pop songs they're playing.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Autonomous Monster posted:

Is it weird that it's weird to me that Ejava's just a footnote now? I mean, I realise all the old iconics got the boot with 3rd edition, but she's always felt like more of a major setting NPC than an iconic to me. :shrug:

I got the impression they're saving her for the NPC writeups at the back of the book.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

Back in the day she was supposed to be a dark horse candidate for the Throne, I think, but by 2E the writing had built her importance up to the point that it seemed as if the Roseblack and Mnemon were the only choices. One of the 3E mission statements is to get back to that feeling of unexplored possibilities, hence changing the map of Creation itself and loading it with new places, so I wouldn't be surprised if they spend their word count on a different example dark horse this time around. While it's one of the things I like about 3E it does sting a little because the character designs for Harmonious Jade and Tepet Ejava on the cover of the original Exalted corebook were huge in getting younger me to pick that book up years ago. The new iconic characters don't feel... iconic.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Has House Cynis always been this amusingly and transparently the one-stop shop "lurid organized crime, drug/sex trafficker and trashy CW character" house? An entire bloodline of the cast of Cruel Intentions? I suppose they're not strictly all THAT much more one-note than, say, House Cathak, but they seem rather like an NPC faction unless you want to take a long deep dive into doing tawdry, lovely crimes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Crion posted:

Has House Cynis always been this amusingly and transparently the one-stop shop "lurid organized crime, drug/sex trafficker and trashy CW character" house? An entire bloodline of the cast of Cruel Intentions? I suppose they're not strictly all THAT much more one-note than, say, House Cathak, but they seem rather like an NPC faction unless you want to take a long deep dive into doing tawdry, lovely crimes.

They are, uh, even less like that in 3e than they were before.

So, yes, very.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
You know, I probably should have seen that one coming.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crion posted:

the deeb character i most enjoyed playing was a Cynis magistrate whose reaction to the house's ways was to become a teetotalling volcel

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

They are, uh, even less like that in 3e than they were before.

So, yes, very.

Indeed. One of the narrators for one of the Aspect books talks about wandering downstairs to see his parents' annual giant orgy when he was a young boy and got in trouble for seeing it, mostly because his parents didn't want people to think he was, ahem, 'on call.'

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Well that was just the mental image I needed; thanks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

*jazz hands* Exalted~

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Indeed. One of the narrators for one of the Aspect books talks about wandering downstairs to see his parents' annual giant orgy when he was a young boy and got in trouble for seeing it, mostly because his parents didn't want people to think he was, ahem, 'on call.'

That's a fail on multiple levels. Like, aside from the skeevy content, it's implying that a family in a Great House would have a mere multi-story house. That's what plebians do! Eww!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Roadie posted:

That's a fail on multiple levels. Like, aside from the skeevy content, it's implying that a family in a Great House would have a mere multi-story house. That's what plebians do! Eww!

Or have a single palace to live in and have the servants raise your children in!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
yeah the fact that kid lives with his parents is by itself incredibly against what 1E and 2E presented Dynastic upbringing as.

I wonder if that's still the case or not.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Stallion Cabana posted:

yeah the fact that kid lives with his parents is by itself incredibly against what 1E and 2E presented Dynastic upbringing as.

I wonder if that's still the case or not.

IIRC he was too young to go off to boarding school? Or was home during a break or something. Don't recall.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Calde posted:

Back in the day she was supposed to be a dark horse candidate for the Throne, I think, but by 2E the writing had built her importance up to the point that it seemed as if the Roseblack and Mnemon were the only choices. One of the 3E mission statements is to get back to that feeling of unexplored possibilities, hence changing the map of Creation itself and loading it with new places, so I wouldn't be surprised if they spend their word count on a different example dark horse this time around. While it's one of the things I like about 3E it does sting a little because the character designs for Harmonious Jade and Tepet Ejava on the cover of the original Exalted corebook were huge in getting younger me to pick that book up years ago. The new iconic characters don't feel... iconic.

Backburnering the same old characters we've been buying books about since 1e and 2e is the best thing 3e can do really - people who have 1e and 2e already have 100000 words about the Roseblack. Anyone who wants them in 3e can go read that, so spend the book space on interesting new things. The worst of 2e was always where new writers rehashed and flanderized 1e characters and other content.

Basically more of Strawmaiden Janest.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Our Night Caste now has a Major Tie of Short People (Fear) after getting his poo poo kicked in by a lalafell, a tonberry, and two actual children on three separate occasions.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dammit Who? posted:

Our Night Caste now has a Major Tie of Short People (Fear) after getting his poo poo kicked in by a lalafell, a tonberry, and two actual children on three separate occasions.

I assume the player has a corresponding Major Tie of Dice Variance (hatred).

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Our Dawn missed the fight completely, but is currently trying to make him feel better by using her Crafts 5 + Specialties to cook everyone's favorite meal and Performance 5 + Charms to play music in the group's lounge to fit the mood.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

I assume the player has a corresponding Major Tie of Dice Variance (hatred).

I'll have you know it's actually Defining and if there was a level above that it would be

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Stallion Cabana posted:

When you're really determined to let no one else have something and the fandom has latched onto you you get a lot of pull, I guess. They've bragged before about how they literally did their best to make Rich Thomas' job impossible by ignoring and insulting him to his face.

There is very much a feeling of 'if I can't have it, no one can have it' towards Exalted from them, or there was soon-ish after they got fired.

That was almost literally the case from the beginning. They admitted to have lied when they told Rich that the book was mostly written before the 3E Kickstarter launched, because if they told him the truth - that they essentially didn't have anything written yet - then Rich might have given the project to someone else who would do it "wrong".

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
What's ironic than is that the content from Vance and Minton seems to better than the stuff that's confirmed to be done by Morke and Holden. At the very least Vance seems to have a better grasp of how to write Charms in ways that aren't ambiguous, and the Sorcerous Workings mechanic is much more interesting and simple to grasp than Crafting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

My understanding is that is was closer to:

RICH: Okay, we're doing Exalted Third Edition. You have one year.
HOLDEN: That's nowhere near enough time.
RICH: Well, it's how long you have.
(ARGUING HAPPENS)
HOLDEN: Okay, fine.
HOLDEN goes off to write Exalted Third Edition, and doesn't even bother trying to get it done in one year, because he already said that was impossible and Lord knows he isn't going to write a book he doesn't like just for the sake of the people who own the IP and pay him.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Rand Brittain posted:

My understanding is that is was closer to:

RICH: Okay, we're doing Exalted Third Edition. You have one year.
HOLDEN: That's nowhere near enough time.
RICH: Well, it's how long you have.
(ARGUING HAPPENS)
HOLDEN: Okay, fine.
HOLDEN goes off to write Exalted Third Edition, and doesn't even bother trying to get it done in one year, because he already said that was impossible and Lord knows he isn't going to write a book he doesn't like just for the sake of the people who own the IP and pay him.

that was the first time but it leaves out the multiple scrapped finished books, complete lack of communication, and arguments afterwards they've said they've had, in addition to, from Plague, the skype calls that they said were about planning but were mostly about insulting Exalted fans.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
That's old recycled drama, you guys should be griping about Holden admitting his own Exalted rules are bad at running the game to his tastes so he has a half-finished "streamlined, lightweight PbtA-engine version of Exalted" instead.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

For my money, the single best thing about John Morke and Holden Shearer no longer working on Exalted 3e is that I no longer have to care about what John Morke and Holden Shearer are or were up to.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

For my money, the single best thing about John Morke and Holden Shearer no longer working on Exalted 3e is that I no longer have to care about what John Morke and Holden Shearer are or were up to.

Honestly, I am looking forward to nobody caring about this either.

Maybe we can care about some of the new Great House writeups? Anybody have some good takes on that? I see they made Mnemon less "all bitch, all the time," and there are actually some serious named contenders for the throne besides "Mnemon versus an endless stream of dark horse candidates nobody saw coming."

Calboon
Feb 19, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe we can care about some of the new Great House writeups? Anybody have some good takes on that? I see they made Mnemon less "all bitch, all the time," and there are actually some serious named contenders for the throne besides "Mnemon versus an endless stream of dark horse candidates nobody saw coming."

Ragara, Peleps, and Iselsi are my favorites but quite frankly every single house write up is stellar.

Ragara being the imperial bank with a secret hidden core of crazy occultists is really cool. I could easily imagine some poor young Ragara scion getting roped into the occult stuff while all they want to do is make some money through good old fashioned predatory loans.

Peleps being a naval juggernaught that is slowly dying from its own size is a great plothook, as is their plan to just say gently caress it and do their own realm in the west

Finally I like the idea that you can attach the phrase, "secretly part of House Iselsi" to a huge number of other character concepts and have it work.

And yea having most of the great houses have at least one person angling for the throne is pretty cool.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
I don't like the effort to remix a few of the Houses into something "as distinct as Vampire clans"; entries like Sesus and Iselsi end up especially flat compared to their old incarnations. The Houses where they stuck with the original identity but collected all the little bits hidden across multiple old books and built off of them fared a lot better. Cynis, Mnemon, Peleps and V'neef all turned out well, with the latter probably my favorite 3E write-up. That the fledgling new House was filled by adoptions had been assumed way back in 1E, but it really needed to be laid out and explained in the actual V'neef entry instead of fans piecing it together from several outcaste stories in the Aspect Books and a few threads hidden in other supplements. The revamped Eagle's Launch they now control already sounds more interesting to play in than their old home in Qishi Prefecture. It's a little like the City of Lies from L5R actually, which is a tad ironic given that the Sesus collapsed into a Scorpion Clan cosplay yet no longer base out of Eagle Prefecture.

The chapter fiction prose ranges from serviceable to poor but I did like that they tried to emphasize a Sworn Kinship with mixed factional loyalties in the opening piece. It's an excellent concept to focus for an introduction, plus pulling the Kinship power out of sorcery into a thing Dragon-Blooded can just do is a huge improvement.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I honestly preferred the comics to the chapter fiction. The comics were short and to the point, and some were ok. I've never read a good chapter fiction in 1e or 3e.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I vastly prefer the chapter fiction over the comics, some were good but most were bad or left you wondering what it was meant to accomplish.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vadoc posted:

I vastly prefer the chapter fiction over the comics, some were good but most were bad or left you wondering what it was meant to accomplish.
My eyes always glazed over at chapter fiction while I actually read the comics.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I read the comics and could thus tell that they were usually very bad.

Like, why is there a comic of a bunch of technicians perving over a female Alchemical and then activating her by themselves? That's so wrong for a myriad of reasons!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

At least the comics I can glance at. I just skip the chapter fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

I read the comics and could thus tell that they were usually very bad.

Like, why is there a comic of a bunch of technicians perving over a female Alchemical and then activating her by themselves? That's so wrong for a myriad of reasons!
What, as opposed to the handjob from a Deathlord in the Abyssals chapter fiction?