Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

berzerkmonkey posted:

Humble Bundle has a bunch of BL books and shorts available.

Oh poo poo! I’ve got a bunch of those books already, but it’s still a steal for the new stuff. Thanks for the heads-up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Xenomrph posted:

Oh poo poo! I’ve got a bunch of those books already, but it’s still a steal for the new stuff. Thanks for the heads-up!

Anyone able to advise on any to read/avoid?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

team overhead smash posted:

Anyone able to advise on any to read/avoid?

I would avoid just about everything there, to be honest. it's a bad selection.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

hopterque posted:

I would avoid just about everything there, to be honest. it's a bad selection.

You'd avoid Baneblade and Priests of Mars?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You'd avoid Baneblade and Priests of Mars?

Baneblade is the reason I started a Guard army. It’s a must avoid for those who have a love of tanks and a weakness for plastic spacemen.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been reading Imperial Glory but decided to give up. I usually like Guard books but that was just a slog. Warhammer is supposed to be at least a little fun, not a bunch of miserable middle-aged men who hate each other.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
On the other hand, The Death of Stalin is apparently amazing and it's literally just that.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I can't wait to see that

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Guy Goodbody posted:

not a bunch of miserable middle-aged men who hate each other.

Yeah, if we wanted that we'd go actually go play 40k.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I went for the $1 tier just to pick up Baneblade. Not really interested in anything from the higher tiers.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Picked up Dark Imperium, hoping that it would help me get a sense of life in the Imperium Nihilis before the Indomitus Crusade connects the two halves for an upcoming campaign. You can imagine my disappointment.

I also finished up Talon of Horus and Black Legion recently and I don’t really know what I expected but they felt a little flat. I can only hope the final part of the trilogy wraps things up nicely.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Were Dan Abnett's Iron Snakes novels any good? On the plus side: Abnett, on the minus side: Space Marines.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I thought Brothers of the Snake was a pretty good read. There is a series? I thought it was just the one novel.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I thought Brothers of the Snake was a pretty good read. There is a series? I thought it was just the one novel.

You're right, it's seven short stories apparently.

I liked the bit in Tactica Imperialis about Naxos so I might as well give it a shot.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Brothers of the Snake is kinda hit and miss. Not one of Abnett's greatest forays into Marine fiction. No idea if it was his first or not because its very uneven at parts.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Well, this looks neat
https://youtu.be/g-MteECxZUY

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Im the Lord Vader crossing at the top-of-frame at 0:20.

E: Additionally, Im also the combat-drop right into a planet's rocky rings. :v:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 30, 2018

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Schadenboner posted:

Im the Lord Vader crossing at the top-of-frame at 0:20.

E: Additionally, Im also the combat-drop right into a planet's rocky rings. :v:

I think they're attacking an orbital installation located in the rings, mate.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Klaus88 posted:

I think they're attacking an orbital installation located in the rings, mate.

Aim for that, then. Rather than the rocks? :ohdear:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Its clearly not a combat drop unless they drastically redesigned the drop pods and how they get launched. Its either a cestus assault ram, a thunder hawk, or a boarding torp. My money is one the ram given the front profile we see and the way they get locked in.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

drat I got chills. I love the thought of heavy, machine-based armor imagery/power and then a psyker or chaos coming in with some “magic.” That was cool.

Is this following a certain story line?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

drat I got chills. I love the thought of heavy, machine-based armor imagery/power and then a psyker or chaos coming in with some “magic.” That was cool.

Is this following a certain story line?

No clue, just popped up on YouTube recommendations, seems like a mini series based around original content

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's going to be a series of minute long episodes with no set release schedule, no idea about any plot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcTZrrtdAUM

bango skank fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 30, 2018

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Finished rereading Eisenhorn, time to crack open the Ravenor trilogy.

Question: when should I read Pariah, and The Magos? After the Ravenor books, in that order?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

mythicknight posted:

Question: when should I read Pariah, and The Magos? After the Ravenor books, in that order?

Yes. Magos, imo, would spoil a couple of things about Pariah.

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

i'm in the mood for some light and fun 40k insanity and am sick of reading internet fluff so i'm currently filling my amazon cart

for some reason i am angry that i can't buy the eisenhorn trilogy in an omnibus anymore so is it ok if i skip it for now and read gaunt's ghosts stuff instead? i also added the forges of mars omnibus to my cart because it sounds cool

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If you want light and fun 40k insanity, get the two Ciaphas Cain omnibii. It doesn’t get much lighter than that.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
'Outer Dark' spoilery question:

So am I reading this right that the Carcharodon Astra are actually descendants of the War Hounds? The encounter with the World Eater that the Ashen Claws seemed to *heavily* imply that, not to mention the fact that the Ashen Claws still exist which would mean that the Carcharodon Astra probably aren't them (the previous top theory). On the other hand, it also seems clear that the Sharks and the ex-Ravens have a very long and fraught history, and it would seem that some of the Sharks (specifically the Pale Nomad) may share a genetic bond with the Claws?

So are we looking perhaps at a mixed Gene Chapter? With the Sharks being both Raven and World Eater (and, gently caress it, maybe other Loyalists from Traitor Chapters like the Night Lord's)?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

ross the boss posted:

i'm in the mood for some light and fun 40k insanity and am sick of reading internet fluff so i'm currently filling my amazon cart

for some reason i am angry that i can't buy the eisenhorn trilogy in an omnibus anymore so is it ok if i skip it for now and read gaunt's ghosts stuff instead? i also added the forges of mars omnibus to my cart because it sounds cool
Yessssss, I will praise this trilogy for as long as I live.

Ciaphas Cain has already been mentioned, but I'll endorse it as well. That was my entry point into 40k books. Just don't binge read all the novels back to back, they get samey if you do.

Storm of Iron, while hardly light and fun is one of the quintessential 40k books.

Mechanicum is part of the Horus Heresy series, but stands really well on its own. Well worth reading in connection to Forges of Mars for the contrast between 'current' Techpriests and those from 10k years earlier.

Personally I found the early books of the Horus Heresy series really interesting for showing the Imperium at its peak before everything went to hell. I wish they had spent more time there instead of stretching out the middle with like 30 books too many.
The first three books are essential and are all connected. After that every book is more or less stand alone.
If you do pick the HH series up, drop back in here after the first three, for there is a bunch of duds in it.

And yeah, I'm counting Mechanicum separate here, it's well worth it even if you have no interest in the Horus Heresy.

Baneblade is a good read about a tank crew in a superheavy.

Atlas Infernal is a goofy adventure about an inquisitor stealing stuff from Harlequins.

Recent books, but I think Carrion Throne and Emperor's Legion make for a decent point to jump in as well.
The former is about a newly minted inquisitor posted on Terra, the latter about how the Custodes dislodged their thumb from their collective arse after 10,000 years. Should be read together imo.

Enforcer is similar to Eisenhorn in that it's a domestic view of the Imperium (which also goes for the Carrion Throne btw). Follows one of the Judge Dredd-like Arbites.
It's good, but a slow start and it really front loads all the world building.

E: it's hard to describe any of these except for Ciaphas Cain as light and fun, because 40k as a setting isn't.
If what you want is something with a light tone that doesn't take itself too serious, Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM is the way to go.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 2, 2018

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

thanks for the reccs!

by light i mean i need a break from the "heavy" literature i've been reading, i know 40k isn't sunshine/roses

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Oh yeah, on that front you're golden then. The worst black library has to offer on that front is some authors that have a penchant for using archaic words, or archaic definitions for words.

On the fun front there's definitely some tremendously boring slogs in the catalogue, but avoiding those is what this thread is here for.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Read Eye of Terror for old school warp shenanigans it's a fun ride.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

susan posted:

'Outer Dark' spoilery question:

So are we looking perhaps at a mixed Gene Chapter? With the Sharks being both Raven and World Eater (and, gently caress it, maybe other Loyalists from Traitor Chapters like the Night Lord's)?

That was my take on it, especially given the constant taunts of the Ashen Claws that the Carcharadons are "mongrels," and some of the emphasis on different characters' heritage. E.g., Sharr "appreciate[s] the irony" when the World Eater charges him. On the other hand, I assume that Te Kahurangi is Raven Guard, and so too is his Ashen Claw bro Arathar, and that's why they actually treat each other like brothers. (Also, the Ashen Claws hang out in the "Lost Eyrie") .

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

DirtyRobot posted:

That was my take on it, especially given the constant taunts of the Ashen Claws that the Carcharadons are "mongrels," and some of the emphasis on different characters' heritage. E.g., Sharr "appreciate[s] the irony" when the World Eater charges him. On the other hand, I assume that Te Kahurangi is Raven Guard, and so too is his Ashen Claw bro Arathar, and that's why they actually treat each other like brothers. (Also, the Ashen Claws hang out in the "Lost Eyrie") .

Outer Dark Spoilers
The ashen claws still being a thing was a really cool twist, I dont have much else to say about the book it was fun, I wonder when they were exiled if they are former war hounds it would have to be after Ibram Ghreer was interred in a dread.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I've got two copies of Roboute Guilliman: Lord of Ultramar (hardcover.) $10 each, shipped if anyone is interested.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Just finished Fallen Angels. Did anyone else feel bad for Luther? His fall is the only one so far I've actually sympathized for. Everyone else is after glory or perfection or bloodlist, but he seems to genuinely be trying to look out for Caliban is an extremely misguided way.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've got two copies of Roboute Guilliman: Lord of Ultramar (hardcover.) $10 each, shipped if anyone is interested.

Do you have venmo

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Do you have venmo

I do not, sorry. Only PayPal.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

I do not, sorry. Only PayPal.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm almost half way through my reread of Gaunt and I just finished Straight Silver. I remembered Cuu and Bragg and Corbec, but I forgot about Muril. :(