Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
When you nearly die, do you have to mash x or just hold it? I have no idea what that little meter means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralNeltharion
Feb 23, 2018

shut up blegum posted:

When you nearly die, do you have to mash x or just hold it? I have no idea what that little meter means

It's holding, I think. But hey, if holding does not work, just mash.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Morter posted:

:yohoho:

Me and Deakul's first trip into Faith's territory not only had hallucinations but extremely baffling vehicle physics where everytime I'd seemingly exit the vehicle, it'd get shoved sideways 40 feet and do wacky slides and spins. We quickly determined we were not ready for this area...

...Until a prepper's stash led us literally 20 feet into the territory again.

The stash was in a haunted house. :hb:

You forgot the part where we heard our trusty companion Dan get seemingly brutally murdered while a Joker-esque voice message was playing.
And then you go outside and he was... completely fine?!
:ghost:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"We can't reach the outside world, everything is cut off, we have to fight for ourselves!"

*spawns an infinite number of air vehicles that could carry you to the national guard*

the game takes place in a very isolated yet extremely densely populated county in Montana that is surrounded by fog and where no one has ever learned how to drive a car, truck, boat, or airplane in low visibility conditions. this is because the bulk of the county's 500k residents spend the majority of the lives underground and do not emerge unless one of their surface-counterparts is murdered by a rookie cop or a turkey

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i honestly think the faith area is the weakest part of the game. that being said the game play is loving great.

Earwicker posted:

the game takes place in a very isolated yet extremely densely populated county in Montana that is surrounded by fog and where no one has ever learned how to drive a car, truck, boat, or airplane in low visibility conditions. this is because the bulk of the county's 500k residents spend the majority of the lives underground and do not emerge unless one of their surface-counterparts is murdered by a rookie cop or a turkey

lol pretty much.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
I am shovel cop.

"Those people should have been more accommodating"

SPANG!

"Did you hea---"

SPANG!

"Where is ever--"

SPANG!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Earwicker posted:

I choose to believe that there were only like 50 cultists when the game started and all the random events you see are a part of a legendary recruitment drive.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

black.lion posted:

How do you access all this stuff? I bought Gold on Steam but when I went into the garage spot I didn't see any vehicles available other than a 4-wheeler I think I unlocked bc I rode it there.

Mostly I want to know where all my outfits are so I can play dressup

You get a 4-wheeler as part of the DLC, but as far as I can tell you gotta unlock or buy all the other vehicles. (Well, there's a chopper too, but I haven't been to a helicopter garage yet.) Clothes and weapons are in the appropriate areas of the store, with the DLC stuff being at the bottom of the lists.

Ubi Club also has some more poo poo you can get for owning other games/social networking I guess/logging into the FC5 Arcade website/spending accumulated or purchased Ubi Bux. Got an MP5K, an AR skin and a doofy-looking Local Sports Team "stock car" that way.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i honestly think the faith area is the weakest part of the game.

yeah im not really a fan of what is basically a "zombie region" in an FC game it just seems so tired but it is fun to fight them with the shovel or pipe

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it’s pretty funny there’s basically no effort put into a good explanation for how this is happening or why no outside help is coming beyond “radios are down.”

so those capture missions go on the whole game? that’s pretty silly. FC games have always had at least one story mission where you get caught and the villain monologues at you but you escape by the skin of your teeth, but making literally like every major story mission you getting caught and escaping again is hilarious.

I’ve only done two and it already feels like a dr. evil scenario where im just sitting on this chair listening to Spooky Threats sighing and waiting for the dude to conspicuously leave the room so I can escape. like a fun game we’re playing with each other

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

yeah im not really a fan of what is basically a "zombie region" in an FC game it just seems so tired but it is fun to fight them with the shovel or pipe

weirdly the zombies are the least stupid part. its more the magical super trips you have where you just see poo poo happening in real time and "oooh who knows whats real poo poo" is faith some sort of super hive mind. like the core idea of faith isn't awful, she is the pretty brainfucked face of the cult that keeps people in line or some poo poo(and apparently she wasnt the first "faith" apparently) the story issues i have so far is the problem i have with most of the far cry games, is they "hint" around at interesting ideas to much and spend to much time with sparkling poo poo. i find the story interesting so far, but its no 2 or 4.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 28, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

weirdly the zombies are the least stupid part. its more the magical super trips you have where you just see poo poo happening in real time and "oooh who knows whats real poo poo" is faith some sort of super hive mind. like the core idea of faith isn't awful, she is the pretty brainfucked face of the cult that keeps people in line or some poo poo(and apparently she wasnt the first "faith" apparently) the story issues i have so far is the problem i have with most of the far cry games, is they "hint" around at interesting ideas to much and spend to much time with sparkling poo poo. i find the story interesting so far, but its no 2 or 4.

^^ Maybe spoiler part of that paragraph my dude

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mandrel posted:

it’s pretty funny there’s basically no effort put into a good explanation for how this is happening or why no outside help is coming beyond “radios are down.”

so those capture missions go on the whole game? that’s pretty silly. FC games have always had at least one story mission where you get caught and the villain monologues at you but you escape by the skin of your teeth, but making literally like every major story mission you getting caught and escaping again is hilarious.

I’ve only done two and it already feels like a dr. evil scenario where im just sitting on this chair listening to Spooky Threats sighing and waiting for the dude to conspicuously leave the room so I can escape. like a fun game we’re playing with each other

yeah, like i am not sure whats "acutaly" happening in the tripping sequences. like during the final one, after her boss fight, you wake up in the bliss which is basically a sound stage in some old missile silo bunker or some poo poo. so that means all of those times before, some dickhead knocked you out when you were high, dragged you there so she could dance about and then threw you back in the exact same place, unless is was all a weird trip but then how did you have weird hive mind trips? the other areas don't have that issues. they just have some dude black jack you or something outright.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Iron Rose posted:

Well were they sweet moves?

They absolutely were.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Game good? I played 3 but lost interest after Vaas died and had a few fun minutes with Blood Dragon but haven't played anything else in the series.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Farrier Theaks posted:

Game good? I played 3 but lost interest after Vaas died and had a few fun minutes with Blood Dragon but haven't played anything else in the series.

It's better of the same, so if you dumped it after the story petered out it might be a mixed bag for you.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Farrier Theaks posted:

Game is fun as an open world goof. "Good" is up for debate.

Imagine how much better this game would be if they cut out all the stupid arena/maze/corridor story missions and just put the bosses in a bunker in the open world, similar to the stronghold assaults in 4.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 28, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Farrier Theaks posted:

yeah. gameplay is great so far.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Getting really sick of (minor story/gameplay type spoiler for literally every area) being captured endlessly by everyone. It always happens when I want to be doing something else and holy poo poo people after the umpteenth time I've escaped and hosed your poo poo up stop doing elaborate schemes and just kill me. It was vaguely believable the first few times but it's getting to be James bond levels of silly.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Combat Pretzel posted:

"Grace under Fire", that's some grade-A bullshit mission.

I had no problem, may have been that I was in an attack helecopter but ymmv

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Coldforge posted:

Game is fun as an open world goof. "Good" is up for debate.

the gameplay is mostly very good with a few minor annoyances, the gameworld itself is mostly nicely designed, the story is imo one of the dumbest ones in a Far Cry game so far but that doesnt really matter

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I am moderately disappointed that there isn't a Bliss Bomb that makes your enemies trip the gently caress out for a short period of time

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Getting really sick of (minor story/gameplay type spoiler for literally every area) being captured endlessly by everyone. It always happens when I want to be doing something else and holy poo poo people after the umpteenth time I've escaped and hosed your poo poo up stop doing elaborate schemes and just kill me. It was vaguely believable the first few times but it's getting to be James bond levels of silly.

me hollering “COME ON. DO IT. KILL ME NOW. COME ON” in Arnold voice after the 400th time im captured and they just want to rub my face and talk about how much they’re definitely going to torture me this time before remembering they left the stove on and have to dash out for a bit

far cry 5: elizabeth smart simulator

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Earwicker posted:

the gameplay is mostly very good with a few minor annoyances, the gameworld itself is mostly nicely designed, the story is imo one of the dumbest ones in a Far Cry game so far but that doesnt really matter

It's not just the story that's bad, it's all the story missions. They're real bad.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is the multiplayer any good?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I keep hitting my dog with my truck

Get in the drat truck then if you don't want to die!!!

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Diabetic grizzly bear is the best companion of all time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Coldforge posted:

It's not just the story that's bad, it's all the story missions. They're real bad.

i've only done a handful of them, the Nick Rye missions and the one with the flamethrower guy, and the only one that seemed bad was the dogfighting one, because the dogfight felt more like some kind of weird slow motion swimming. the other missions were ok

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Earwicker posted:

i've only done a handful of them, the Nick Rye missions and the one with the flamethrower guy, and the only one that seemed bad was the dogfighting one, because the dogfight felt more like some kind of weird slow motion swimming. the other missions were ok

Those aren’t the story missions I’m talking about. Im referring to the core story missions that involve the main bosses; the capture/escape and boss showdown missions. I’ve only done the ones for John Seed so far, but they play out like really badly designed Wolfenstein corridor levels.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Weird number of i7 3770s in here.

Just beat John's storyline. The final parts where you dogfight were really silly because I didn't realize I had rockets so we just kept slowly dancing in the air trying not to wear out machineguns. And when I say slow I mean to the point that his plane appeared to stall, fall out of the sky, then miraculously recover and keep turning on a dime. I think this would've been better-served by an NPC flying the plane through a low-level, high speed chase where you occupy the machinegun seat. Also why did he and his goons suddenly appear back at the airstrip ranch with an airplane even though I'd liberated it ages ago?. Whatever, still fun.

Also incendiary shotgun rounds are :lol:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Coldforge posted:

i thought the story missions were alright, the problem is "how you get to them". they should have just set the mission structure up the witcher3/asscreed origins.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tab8715 posted:

Is the multiplayer any good?

Co-op, yes.

Arcade, no... it needs a lot of time to get anything good out of it, as it is all of the content is very low effort, the netcode is poo poo, and you can't even chat.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i thought the story missions were alright, the problem is "how you get to them". they should have just set the mission structure up the witcher3/asscreed origins.

Exactly this. The set pieces are fine but getting captured and escaping each time is bafflingly silly

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wish there was an FMV of me getting incredibly greased up and all the cultists try to catch me as I run away from a fiery wreck of an airfield

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Sedisp posted:

Exactly this. The set pieces are fine but getting captured and escaping each time is bafflingly silly

It’s possible I only find them to be bad because they yank me out of the fun I’m having to play something radically different in style.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Deakul posted:

Co-op, yes.

Arcade, no... it needs a lot of time to get anything good out of it, as it is all of the content is very low effort, the netcode is poo poo, and you can't even chat.

I figure give it a few weeks before PC players get adept at making maps/modes. Doom 2k16's map editor got some pretty intricate stuff going a few months after launch.

Co-op is great but the exploration makes it impossible to tell if you're about to stumble into a story mission. My buddy and I wanted to stick to outposts and one-off mini-quests (go here and save hostages) but we kept running into full blown missions.

Sort of sucks when progress is saved for only one person and the other is going to have to do it again. Wouldn't matter if we knew what was what.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It feels like the story missions would go a lot better if they let you go to them rather than black bagging you with whatever plot device they have on hand. Go to a place expecting to kill them all, get blindsided, story time.

Or just make bliss bullets a common thing, and if you go down then you trigger the mission earlier than you would naturally

VVV just wait for the Canadian goose expansion

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 28, 2018

Noirex
May 30, 2006

What is it with FC devs picking the most rear end in a top hat of animals to torment us with? First it was those loving cassowaries, then eagles, then Honey Badgers and now these farmland hell birds. I got attacked and murdered by one again after barely surviving a 3 truck pile up.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Mandrel posted:

Same, I just did the Faith mission and immediately got captured again. I suppose John's monologue is supposed to be intimidating and menacing but I was just bored and wanted to get back to the game. It's one thing to have story missions but it's another to have them forced on you like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Beastie posted:

I figure give it a few weeks before PC players get adept at making maps/modes. Doom 2k16's map editor got some pretty intricate stuff going a few months after launch.

Co-op is great but the exploration makes it impossible to tell if you're about to stumble into a story mission. My buddy and I wanted to stick to outposts and one-off mini-quests (go here and save hostages) but we kept running into full blown missions.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time getting used to this a little. I was trying to go to bed last night and just wandered into the middle of a big multipart quest with hardly any indication that it would happen. It's kind of immersion-breaking to have a big button that says "Start Quest" but the way it is now I'm just careening from quest to quest and hardly even know where I'm going at any point.